Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

bassguitarhero posted:

the sharing economy's independent contractors are gonna have a LOT of fun come April. "What do you mean I owe 33%+ of my income last year plus additional fines for not paying quarterly?"

I'm so loving excited to see the posts come April. It's going to be a meltdown of epic proportions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Management posted:

I may have mentioned it in the previous thread but Travis kalanick is in real life a goddamn piece of poo poo. I have no problem believing any of the scummy reports about über because that's just the kind of stuff he would do.

Travis is a great name, for a shithead.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hello, Travis.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hello, James.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ADINSX posted:

Wait, Snapchat, a company who's only feature was the transitory nature of the images you could send with it, allowed third parties to save these images?

What a paradigm shift!

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

lmao

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Shifty Pony posted:

ah yes, metal and lace, née headhunters. the whole city knew the guy was a shithead and the place went out of business a while ago.

Austin is smaller than Pittsburgh, so I imagine it'd be pretty easily for the whole city to know something.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Telling the truth isn't trolling, quit being rude.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

syscall girl posted:

i had a psych professor who said she liked to watch it with her teenaged kids even though she was otherwise pretty smart

the impression i get is that it's kind of a funny fake soap opera with sweet bodyslams (i don't know the names of the moves) and sweaty nearly naked dudes and sometimes women

It's guilt free homoeroticism.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

maniacdevnull posted:

ehhhh this was more an issue when they tried to pass it off as a legit sport

but yeah they haven't even pretended it's real since like 1997 so the whole 'its faaaaake' thing is super dumb now

Vince McMahon's boner when he was sniffing that guy's taint? That was way real.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

how can anyone not love this poo poo

This says so much about the male condition in modern America, in a way that Fields of Gold never could. Bravo, Sting.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hey whatever happened to markov chain chomp anyway

he died. :rip:

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rotor posted:

I haven't been in NYC much but it seems very bad, super crowded, people are assholes, loud as hell, and the weather is complete poo poo

My family lived in NYC and vicinity for a century. it's just where twelve million of us belong. that's really it.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

an old roommate finished school and just did 10 years in NYC. then he visited SF once, went back to nyc and packed up his poo poo, he was gone in a month

some people prefer living in small towns. lol

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rotor posted:

I could not agree more.

If you can't make it in the big city, you can always live in a small town like SF.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is because dc salaries are hilariously low, not because pitt is such a wonderful place

Actually, it is!

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Forums Terrorist posted:

i'm from ireland, where it's unimaginably lovely

i had to take a bus from dingle to macroom once, jesus christ

Haha, nice made-up place names.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mishaq posted:

im not suggesting there aren't large parts of the northeast where there isn't, but the entirety of the northeast is not covered in snow 4 months of the year, including many of the parts where most people live

boy, that's some hill you've chosen to die on

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

pointers posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/perk-facebook-apple-now-pay-women-freeze-eggs-n225011

forget childcare, or leave for fathers. forget any hope of work-life balance. we'll pay for you to freeze your eggs, so you can work more now. you can have kids when you're too old for this booming, hip, young industry. we're so progressive!

it was really nice of the news outlets to announce this as a gender equality thing instead of what it actually is, hosed up dystopia in the making.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pinterest Mom posted:

it is a gender equality thing

They're saying "we're going to demand so much of you that you can't expect to have a normal life or reproduce within the usual biological limits." That's super hosed up.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pinterest Mom posted:

have you spoken to a woman about this

Yes.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
In what way can a public admission that your employer is going to prevent you from having a personal life until well into your middle years be seen as positive?

If Google and friends gave a poo poo about quality of life for their female employees, they would offer the sort of maternity leave that you see in other developed countries.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Do you not understand what this announcement says about what is expected of employees and the implications that has for quality of life?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lol, you're trying to rope me into saying something I never said so you can "win."

I'm not saying it's a bad thing because it's inherently a bad thing in isolation, I'm saying it's a bad thing because of what it implies and that it's seen as necessary at all.

you can't be that loving dense.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

pr0zac posted:

you mean like the four months paid maternity/paternity leave facebook offers?

oh wow, four months lmao

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FMguru posted:

theres also the stigma that will be associated with any woman who doesnt get her ovaries harvested. women with kids will find the ladder even harder to climb in the future because hey if they were really dedicated to the job they would have taken advantage of freezing their eggs instead of selfishly having kids

to be honest, the suggestion that your eggs can be frozen so that you can follow your genetic imperative when you're too old to be useful to your corporate sponsors is pretty sexist and ageist in itself.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pinterest Mom posted:

egg freezing is bad policy if it's the only pro-family policy a company offers, but I don't see anything sinister about giving a woman a choice to work in her 30s and maybe take time off or focus on a child later. "baby or work in my 30s?" is a choice men don't have to make, and this policy helps women at apple and Facebook not have to make that choice

Men have vibrant and useful careers (in technology or elsewhere) in their 40s and 50s. The assumption here is that women are freezing their eggs to have kids at those ages because they're no longer useful and won't have the same sort of career a man might at those ages. Why is that?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

pr0zac posted:

sonic boom from those goal posts flying so fast

I said "other developed countries."

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pinterest Mom posted:

presumably this option is provided by the health insurance company and no information about he procedure is communicated back to hr, because l o l otherwise

This just so happens to be my area of expertise, and if you knew what went back to HR you'd poo poo your pants.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
if you have employer-sponsored healthcare in the USA and your employer operates on a pass-through self-funded basis, someone in HR can tell you exactly what procedures you've ever had under their insurance.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

would you say this is common? i don't know what that second part means.

There are two kinds of large group customers from the POV of an insurance company: Risk and non-risk.

Risk customers pay a premium based on their employee make-up. They are placed in a risk pool with other similar risk customers and an actuary calculates what the insurance company needs to charge as a premium for each contract in that pool that matches a risk tier in order for the insurance company to cover expected costs (based on revenue estimation and past trends) plus a few percentage points to run the business.

Non-risk customers pay their own claims. If you, Jim Smith, have rear end surgery because you jammed something up your rear end, the insurance company pays the claim, tacks on 3.5% admin to pay expenses, and bills the group policy holder the exact amount.

Non-risk plan admins get all your PHI because they want to make sure they're getting what they pay for.

If you work for a big company, they are almost certainly non-risk and it is getting more common every day.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It won't specifically say "Jim Smith, rear end Surgery" but the product type will be abstracted, the provider will be listed, and a claim dollar amount will be listed. That's really all you need to know.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

It's what I do!

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

It doesn't even get that specific, but when you can see exactly what women went to a given reproductive health provider for the exact same medical/surgical product for the same dollar amount, it gets really easy to pick out what they're having done.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FMguru posted:

its how the ceo of america online was able to call out two employees for having expensive difficult childbirths as the reason the company missed its quarterly numbers and no one was getting bonuses a year or two ago, right?

Exactly.

(btw most smart employers take out stop loss insurance to cover catastrophic claims above a certain threshold, say, $25K. That AOL didn't have stop loss is a tremendous gently caress up and a sign of an incompetent plan administrator.)

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

OldAlias posted:

moving to montreal is a good idea, i pay like ~300 for rent + utilities. holy fuckin lol at those numbers.

I live in fuckin Pittsburgh and my rent and utilities are $1600 or so

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

qirex posted:

well montreal is the pittsburgh of eastern canada you should check it out

I don't think I'd be allowed.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Share Bear posted:

i pay $7800 for a car that was burnt out in the bed stuy riots that is right in front of a taxidermy "bar", at night people piss into the gas hole and they won't stop

I don't think any of this is true.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rotor posted:

late but this isn't true unless you're talking about the ultra fancy ones marketed at people who are already planning out what frat their baby will pledge at Stanford

we paid about 6k/yr

That was a really long time ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

i wanna get an old one b/c the v8 one is basically a lifted all wheel drive version of my car

its not at the top of the list though my wife wants a lesbian pride subaru, i think we're going to look at a couple outbacks and a legacy wagon tomorrow

I highly recommend the Legacy Wagon/Outback (they're the same now)

• Locked thread