Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Behold, the future of baseball:

It's not the pitcher's fault, it's every batter who feels like he needs to readjust his loving velcro gloves between every pitch. Stop saying it's the pitcher, or don't start the clock until the batter comes set.

I'm sure there's an alternate universe where we are trapped in 1999, and a Nomar Garciaparra at-bat is still happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Everblight posted:

It's not the pitcher's fault, it's every batter who feels like he needs to readjust his loving velcro gloves between every pitch. Stop saying it's the pitcher, or don't start the clock until the batter comes set.

I'm sure there's an alternate universe where we are trapped in 1999, and a Nomar Garciaparra at-bat is still happening

During one of the A's games at the end of the season, I swear one of their left-handed batters walked half-way to the first base dugout between every pitch.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dodgers are looking at hiring Josh Byrnes as GM

He's incredibly popular for a guy who's been fired twice. People must really like working with him regardless of whatever they think he is good or bad at doing as a GM.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 17, 2014

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Who's the all time slowest pitcher to the mound? I remember watching a game where Steve Trachsel pitched for the Mets and his own fans were booing him for taking so long and repeatedly throwing to first.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Traxis posted:

Who's the all time slowest pitcher to the mound? I remember watching a game where Steve Trachsel pitched for the Mets and his own fans were booing him for taking so long and repeatedly throwing to first.

With a runner on it's Max Scherzer. He sits for about 45 seconds until people call timeout just to disrupt the timing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

With a runner on it's Max Scherzer. He sits for about 45 seconds until people call timeout just to disrupt the timing.

Mike Pelfry is just as bad and even more painful to watch because he's terrible and allows more runners.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

Mike Pelfry is just as bad and even more painful to watch because he's terrible and allows more runners.

I seem to recall one of the early Diamondbacks starters, I want to say Omar Daal? being really loving bad like this, too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

I seem to recall one of the early Diamondbacks starters, I want to say Omar Daal? being really loving bad like this, too.

I went to a Twins game last year (I think it was against the Angels) that Pelfry pitched and it was like four hours long even though it wasn't particularly high scoring/hitting and only went nine innings. There were fans heckling him for being so slow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Traxis posted:

Whenever I think of slow, I always think back to Trachsel. He was the Nomar of pitching.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Traxis posted:

All time I feel like it Trachsel because that makes me want to die but currently I think it's Clay Buchholz. The newly retired Josh Beckett was also ungodly slow.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

It's both. Pitchers are just as bad as batters except you don't notice them walk off the mount, adjust their gloves, tap their shoes, adjust their cup, take a few practice swings, etc. Batters are really bad, but to claim it's not the pitcher at all is crazy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Some relievers, particularly of the closer variety, like to realllllly lean in there and stare (Kimbrel, Casilla.) Some batters have an entire loving ritual of adjusting every piece of clothing, clearing their throat (Jeter) or just twirling it five or six times with every pitch (Span.) But in general I'd say relievers are generally slow, doesn't help that they often have little room for error when they come in.

So many good dueling aces games fall apart into slow poo poo once the relievers come in.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Daisuke Matsuzaka is also a bit excruciating, or at least was last year.

The pitch clock is the most visibly jarring of the rules they're testing in Arizona (besides, possibly, the automatic intentional walk,) but I think that the more restrictive rules about batters being ready will have a bigger effect on pace of game.

We may very well one day see Troy Tulowitzki strike out without having a pitch thrown to him.

The big complaint so far has been that it's virtually impossible for pitchers to throw over to first, but I imagine they'd strike a compromise before this was implemented at the ML level.

If anyone wants to see the new rules in action, MLB is streaming the Peoria/Salt River game in ten minutes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brian Roberts announced his retirement.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

IcePhoenix posted:

I went to a Twins game last year (I think it was against the Angels) that Pelfry pitched and it was like four hours long even though it wasn't particularly high scoring/hitting and only went nine innings. There were fans heckling him for being so slow.

I went to a different Pelfry game last year (and I forget who we were playing, Cleveland maybe?), and I wasn't consciously aware that Pelfry was dawdling, but now that you bring him up... I did grow weary and left before it was over. Bullshit thing is that we were down 4-3 when I left and we ended up winning 7-4. :argh:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 18, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Edwin Jackson is brutally slow also. Might be the worst active pitcher.

I agree that Trachsel's the worst I've ever seen though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Edwin Jackson's entire Cubs' career was redeemed when they pulled him off the fake "terrible at baseball" DL to face Kershaw in a meaningless game and then he lasted 2/3 of an inning before being ignominiously pulled to a chorus of boos.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Papelbon has been fined for being too slow.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I remember Vicente Padilla being really slow, too. But maybe I'm remembering wrong because he was an rear end in a top hat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So I was wondering how Dr. Venture would have been spending the postseasn. He really has the stink of an American League fan about him, so, it probably went something like this:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Farchanter posted:

The pitch clock is the most visibly jarring of the rules they're testing in Arizona (besides, possibly, the automatic intentional walk,) but I think that the more restrictive rules about batters being ready will have a bigger effect on pace of game.

We may very well one day see Troy Tulowitzki strike out without having a pitch thrown to him.

The big complaint so far has been that it's virtually impossible for pitchers to throw over to first, but I imagine they'd strike a compromise before this was implemented at the ML level.

Veeck did it.

Bill Veeck actually installed a pitch clock in the scoreboard of old Comiskey Park back in the 70's to try and speed up the game.....he of course caught a lot of poo poo for it at the time. I'm not a fan of actual clocks being throw all over the park in the game that's not supposed to have one, so hopefully by the time spring training comes around MLB will do something really radical....like enforce the rules already on the books. Hopefully the three trips to the mound rule including the catcher gets dumped as well since that's something that actually does involve strategy and performance on the field, umpires seem pretty good about heading out there and keeping it brief as is.

Seems like a far more elegant solution to all of this is simply reminding players they can't call time- just ask for it, and it won't always be granted. Once umpires stop granting time for anything less than a full on Cleveland style bug infestation during at bats things will work themselves out.

That being said I do kinda wanna see a game come to halt while they go the replay office for five minutes to see if a pitch got off on time, or if the timer started correctly. I don't think anyone expected umpires to have to phone home because they forgot the count during at bat, but it seemed to happen quite a bit this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Baseball shouldn't have running clocks, he said through gritted teeth, knowing that if George Will probably agrees with him it is a bad opinion.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Replay would be much simpler and quicker if they had one umpire dedicated to watching/reviewing each game but they would have hire more people so they arent going to do that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scob posted:

Replay would be much simpler and quicker if they had one umpire dedicated to watching/reviewing each game but they would have hire more people so they arent going to do that.

MLB would insist on someone from the league office doing that job, and then the umpires' union would revolt (again).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I never saw him play but Mike 'The Human Rain Delay' probably deserves consideration for this title.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like if chess can be played with a clock, so can baseball. :colbert:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I never saw him play but Mike 'The Human Rain Delay' probably deserves consideration for this title.

Hargrove's pre-pitch ritual was slow for the time but if you watch video of it now, it's positively brisk. The game has slowed down a massive amount since then.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jeff Banister appears to own. I am excited for 2015.

plasticowlmachine
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Traxis posted:

A Rafael Betancourt appearance used to always be a good opportunity to talk about complex issues with friends

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Abel Wingnut posted:

I wonder if MLB will give out OCD exceptions for stepping out of the box every pitch the same way they do for adderall.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Edwin Jackson's entire Cubs' career was redeemed when they pulled him off the fake "terrible at baseball" DL to face Kershaw in a meaningless game and then he lasted 2/3 of an inning before being ignominiously pulled to a chorus of boos.

I was one of the people in the crowd booing that game. :allears:

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I wonder if MLB will give out OCD exceptions for stepping out of the box every pitch the same way they do for adderall.

I think with the pitching clock, the batters should step out of the box at their own risk. If the pitch comes while they're still putzing around with their gloves, then it should still be called a ball or strike.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think with the pitching clock, the batters should step out of the box at their own risk. If the pitch comes while they're still putzing around with their gloves, then it should still be called a ball or strike.

I doubt they'll go that far, for the simple reason that such an action is already against the rules. Pitching when the batter clearly isn't ready is a quick return, and if there are runners on base, it's a balk. Start fiddling with that, and you're bound to get some shenanigans.

That said, I could see the umpires telling the batter to get the gently caress back in the box or watch the pitch from outside of it. If you could get all the umps on board with something like that, the problem would probably work itself out.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

tarlibone posted:

That said, I could see the umpires telling the batter to get the gently caress back in the box or watch the pitch from outside of it. If you could get all the umps on board with something like that, the problem would probably work itself out.

There was a time probably 15 years ago when an ump thought Glenallen Hill was taking too long outside the box, so he told the pitcher to bring it. Hill frantically ran into the box and slapped the pitch for a single. I wish I could find video of it.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Cowboy Joe West also once got super pissed at Raul Mondesi taking too long in the on-deck circle and ordered David Weathers to start pitching. He called strike one before Mondesi even got to the box. There's video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAze__nq2k

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There was a time probably 15 years ago when an ump thought Glenallen Hill was taking too long outside the box, so he told the pitcher to bring it. Hill frantically ran into the box and slapped the pitch for a single. I wish I could find video of it.

Glenallen Hill ruled.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pat Clements posted:

Cowboy Joe West also once got super pissed at Raul Mondesi taking too long in the on-deck circle and ordered David Weathers to start pitching. He called strike one before Mondesi even got to the box. There's video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAze__nq2k

Haha wow.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Glenallen Hill ruled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NiSpQPfmI4

Yes. Yes he did. :allears:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There is a possibly apocryphal story about Bo Jackson stepping out thinking he had called time out but everyone else missed it so he had to jump back in the box really fast and promptly hit a homer

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Morgan Ensberg had his back hand up asking for time as the pitch was delivered once, and hit a one handed homer.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

There is a possibly apocryphal story about Bo Jackson stepping out thinking he had called time out but everyone else missed it so he had to jump back in the box really fast and promptly hit a homer

There are no apocryphal stories about Bo Jackson. All of them prove to be even more crazy on inspection. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the ball ended up killing a wayward pig on the street after that home run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A preview of his range at third next year:

• Locked thread