Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Is the biggest pile of horseshit of a saying out of all of them. This only works if everyone in the world is consciously aware of this phrase and actively believes it. It should be right up there with the whole "3 months pay for a wedding ring" baloney.

Truth is, no one gives a poo poo about you or what you think. Even when you try to be nice and considerate to the flat-stared college kid/old guy working the register at Taco Bell, they will still gently caress up your order and they still won't care.

Bitch about this phrase or any other one like it...if you care.

gently caress Taco Bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
i love you and hope your life improves, op

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wicker man: good poster, good person

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
rear end and titties

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

how does the golden rule apply to people who like to be tied up and beaten

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i treat everyone exactly how i want to be treated which is why i kil leveryone i come across

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

op if you lose your poo poo at some kid in the drive thru you'll regret it instantly, but you'll never regret being civil

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Wicker Man posted:

Is the biggest pile of horseshit of a saying out of all of them. This only works if everyone in the world is consciously aware of this phrase and actively believes it. It should be right up there with the whole "3 months pay for a wedding ring" baloney.

Truth is, no one gives a poo poo about you or what you think. Even when you try to be nice and considerate to the flat-stared college kid/old guy working the register at Taco Bell, they will still gently caress up your order and they still won't care.

gently caress Taco Bell

Sax
Mar 30, 2008

I'm your coffee, pal! :coffeepal:

Coach Sport posted:

i love you and hope your life improves, op

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I'm good, I'm good. Just wish people would be kinder to others, and for those others to at least be aware of it. No need for trumpets and whistles for good deeds, just acknowledgement.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

O dissagree OP. Be excellent to each other.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The golden rule is the rule I beat you with, because ... Chain of command and poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wicker Man posted:

I'm good, I'm good. Just wish people would be kinder to others, and for those others to at least be aware of it. No need for trumpets and whistles for good deeds, just acknowledgement.

Would you kindly suck on dis dick

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Im down with it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

He's helping to clean his sinuses :shobon:

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Iggy Koopa posted:

i treat everyone exactly how i want to be treated which is why i kil leveryone i come across

you should do something good for yourself then :)

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

gently caress Taco Bell

Hey sorry I hosed up your order for 57 soft tacos fat gently caress

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i've been looking for a good thread in which to post the rap lyric "built my own bitch and the sex wild" and i chose this one, thank you.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Magnus Gallant posted:

Hey sorry I hosed up your order for 57 soft tacos fat gently caress

My sister wanted extra cheese on her burrito and they actually put less :(

BKPR posted:

i've been looking for a good thread in which to post the rap lyric "built my own bitch and the sex wild" and i chose this one, thank you.

As angry as I get sometimes with how cold the world can be, I'm still a slut for kindness. Post, and be healthy.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
The whole point is to lead by example by treating people the way you yourself wish to be treated, in the hopes that it will inspire others to do the same and perhaps eventually having it come back around to you. If you treat people like you yourself want to be treated with the expectation of being treated better, you're doing it wrong.

This philosophy also doesn't work out so well if you're a sadistic gently caress that enjoys making people suffer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Pay it forward, OP.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Wicker Man posted:

if you are a naturally good person, good deeds and kindness will be valuable in themselves and don't require anyone be able to recognize you personally for doing them for them to be good.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Splatmaster posted:

The whole point is to lead by example by treating people the way you yourself wish to be treated, in the hopes that it will inspire others to do the same and perhaps eventually having it come back around to you. If you treat people like you yourself want to be treated with the expectation of being treated better, you're doing it wrong.

This philosophy also doesn't work out so well if you're a sadistic gently caress that enjoys making people suffer.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

if you are a naturally good person, good deeds and kindness will be valuable in themselves and don't require anyone be able to recognize you personally for doing them for them to be good.

redshirt posted:

Pay it forward, OP.

I do agree with this, and one shouldn't be going out seeking a reward for their good deeds. But it can be really disheartening to see what an uphill struggle it is trying to be the light of the world. Sometimes it almost makes you want to ask, "Why bother?"

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

My sister wanted extra cheese on her burrito and they actually put less :(

If she wanted that she should have said so.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
To paraphrase Carlin, the bible only really needed one commandment as they can all pretty much be distilled down to the Golden Rule. Don't wanna be killed? Don't kill anybody. Don't want your poo poo stolen? Don't steal poo poo. Want your horndog friends' hands off your special ladyfriend? Stop flirting with his.

This is also based on the supposition that everyone has a conscience.

Welcome to America, op.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Magnus Gallant posted:

If she wanted that she should have said so.

She did! Even paid extra for it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

I do agree with this, and one shouldn't be going out seeking a reward for their good deeds. But it can be really disheartening to see what an uphill struggle it is trying to be the light of the world. Sometimes it almost makes you want to ask, "Why bother?"

Perhaps your scales of judgement are weighted by your own perspective. Maybe you are unaware of kindness all around you, and instead focusing on a small percentage of idiots or assholes.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
yeah well most people are sociopathic fucks and other than direct punishment they just don't care about anything, especially you. Happy holidays.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

redshirt posted:

Perhaps your scales of judgement are weighted by your own perspective. Maybe you are unaware of kindness all around you, and instead focusing on a small percentage of idiots or assholes.

I prefer your old avatar. :pervert:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Wicker Man posted:

She did! Even paid extra for it.

Oh yeah she did. My bad. I was pretty baked

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Wicker Man posted:

Why bother? Because moral superiority provides a smugness rivalled only by extreme wealth.
If you don't have money, how else are you going to be feel you're better than everyone around you?

See also: the Religious Right

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I do the right thing then don't mention it to anyone.

WHERE IS MY COFFEE
Apr 22, 2009

WHO PUT THAT UP THERE
YOU GUYS ARE ASSHOLES
It's a sadomasochistic world, all right

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

It brings me a lot of joy to to help people IRL. I save all my bitchery for the internet.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
OP is right, it's a pretty badly thought out phrase

Like if you're some guy who likes getting punched in the dick, that doesn't mean it's okay to go around punching other people in the dick

Conversely, if you meet a guy who likes getting punched in the dick, be a bro and punch him in the dick, don't let your own preferences get in the way of someone else's enjoyment

The phrase should be "treat others as they wish to be treated, unless they're being lovely about it", can't really go wrong with that

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Wicker Man posted:

it's definitely hard with our monkey brains to keep the people who are total assholes even in the face of kindness from overwhelming our sense of patterns and make it feel like no good deed goes unpunished, but you just need to find people who can restore your emotional balance or who will graciously accept and return kindness - they're out there and you'll be happier long-term to enjoy their company anyway.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

it's definitely hard with our monkey brains to keep the people who are total assholes even in the face of kindness from overwhelming our sense of patterns and make it feel like no good deed goes unpunished, but you just need to find people who can restore your emotional balance or who will graciously accept and return kindness - they're out there and you'll be happier long-term to enjoy their company anyway.

Ur an idiot

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

OP is right, it's a pretty badly thought out phrase

Like if you're some guy who likes getting punched in the dick, that doesn't mean it's okay to go around punching other people in the dick

Conversely, if you meet a guy who likes getting punched in the dick, be a bro and punch him in the dick, don't let your own preferences get in the way of someone else's enjoyment

The phrase should be "treat others as they wish to be treated, unless they're being lovely about it", can't really go wrong with that

Deviants cannot be factored into aphorisms. Unless the aphorism is about deviants.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Voted 1 because if I ever made a poo poo thread I hope people would vote it 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

redshirt posted:

Deviants cannot be factored into aphorisms. Unless the aphorism is about deviants.

Purge the deviant imho.

• Locked thread