Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Wicker Man posted:

I'm good, I'm good. Just wish people would be kinder to others, and for those others to at least be aware of it. No need for trumpets and whistles for good deeds, just acknowledgement.

if you are a naturally good person, good deeds and kindness will be valuable in themselves and don't require anyone be able to recognize you personally for doing them for them to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

I do agree with this, and one shouldn't be going out seeking a reward for their good deeds. But it can be really disheartening to see what an uphill struggle it is trying to be the light of the world. Sometimes it almost makes you want to ask, "Why bother?"

it's definitely hard with our monkey brains to keep the people who are total assholes even in the face of kindness from overwhelming our sense of patterns and make it feel like no good deed goes unpunished, but you just need to find people who can restore your emotional balance or who will graciously accept and return kindness - they're out there and you'll be happier long-term to enjoy their company anyway.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

if bethesda wants me to stop treating theft karma loss as a water bottle tax instead of a dick thing to do to the characters it needs to have visible consequences more often

like if i stole that grognak book from a house in megaton and the kid in question cried their eyes out when they couldn't find it later or something it would make me really reconsider stealing from people i otherwise liked or weren't inclined to shoot already

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

You should just murder everyone anyways

you can't murder children in the bethesda games, not that permanently enslaving their minds is that much better. not sure how they rationalized that one

also i like Gob, he deserves better than death in Moriarty's bar

• Locked thread