Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ultrafilter posted:

I'm working my way through a bottle of Speyburn. Fantastic whisky, and incredibly cheaper than most other scotches here. After that I think I'll get some Ardbeg. I haven't tried their cask strength bottling before, so that's a definite possibility.

Ardbeg is the best tire fire in a tidepool you'll ever drink. I say that without irony.

meth addict posted:

Vodka = karkov from the bottle.
Whisky = black velvet from the bottle.
Beer = bud from my beer glass.

E: To clarify, these are 1.75's and 24 packs I'm talking about.

There's nothing I can say about you that you don't already self-identify as.

ThisGuy posted:

I'm really boring. I like Jameson on the rocks when I'm just looking for a buzz. I like local IPAs. I also enjoy pyramid's selections and you can find it most everywhere. Shocktop isn't bad either.

If I'm pregaming I throw vodka in whatever soda I have and call it good. In college I bought paint thinner vodka in the half gallon plastic container to make screwdrivers with Gatorade (you know gots to have them electrolytes).

I have gage reflex with tequila at this point. Liquid dirt

My god you're just so middle of the road. Are you a regular at the focus group storefront in the mall?

Kidney Stone posted:

My favourites are Mead, Bunnahabhain or Scapa whisky or a bottle of Fraoch Heather Ale.

You're probably an old man from Wick.

Kanish posted:

not everone is cut out to work the register of a liqour store

I don't even have a login for the registers these days. All my sad alcoholic stories are from when I started working in liquor sales. The hardcore drunks hardly ever get past the pint counter. This won't stop every other reply to this thread calling me a minimum wage liquor store clerk, but I wanted to state it for the record.

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's the right thing to do though

We disagree on where to draw the line on personal responsibility. This is a gimmick thread in GBS. You are an awful mod.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

birthday cake vodka

I'm not cool with outing people, before they're ready, but you're probably gay.

oval office raja posted:

I skipped two pages to tell you you're wrong, I have a family and don't say anything to my cat besides "shut up," "are you hungry," and "do you want to go outside?"

what should a disreputable hausfrau be drinking

Disreputable hausfraus still drink White Zinfandel. They've just mostly caught on to calling it Rosé.

Take your creepy dendrophile groupies, and leaf. :suicide:

Frostwerks posted:

i drink keystone ice so you may as well make fun of my life hth

Your only concern is the relief of being drunk enough to forget the disappointing chore that is your life. You only drink, because it's more socially acceptable than popping Mexican painkillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I drink beer brewed from Elk musk and Lilac Wine

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm drinking ardbeg uigeadail after finishing off two decent beers (Williams Bros Profanity Stout). judge me........ if u dare

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

roymorrison posted:

I've almost completely stopped drinking however I took a trip to SLC and I think it was an amber called Evolution, it was really tasty. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Do you mean Wasatch's Evolution Amber? They're a pretty cool craft from Utah.

Luvcow posted:

I drink beer brewed from Elk musk and Lilac Wine

Is your wife carved from a Douglas Fir, or moose antlers lashed together with beaver skin scraps? Just calling you a big, gay lumberjack doesn't seem sporting, but I decided I'd mention it anyway.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I'm drinking ardbeg uigeadail after finishing off two decent beers (Williams Bros Profanity Stout). judge me........ if u dare

You're a smug dick. Welcome.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 17, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

i dont like the taste of booze and it gives me a headache and makes me tired and sick

hope this helps

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
you skipped me and that hurts

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

tehloki posted:

you skipped me and that hurts

It's easy to lose boring posts in the shuffle.

tehloki posted:

I only drink dewars white label w ice and sawmill creek red in a box

You wanted to be a dancer, but Father insisted you be a corporate accountant, and that's what you became. Oh, how you hated him.

Xachariah posted:

i dont like the taste of booze and it gives me a headache and makes me tired and sick

hope this helps

Where are your parents? Do they know you look at this website?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Clitch posted:

Disreputable hausfraus still drink White Zinfandel. They've just mostly caught on to calling it Rosé.

That sounds dumb and pretentious so I won't be doing that

My 61-year-old semi-MIL drinks warm, boxed, white wine. Daily. It disgusts me, so I'm assuming it will disgust you

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Xachariah posted:

hope this helps

You live a life of suffering beyond reckoning.

simple
Apr 11, 2007
Hey OP please make fun of my taste of XO and Royal Salute.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This is my favorite beer op, I'll be pleasantly surprised if you've had it :smug:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

oval office raja posted:

That sounds dumb and pretentious so I won't be doing that

My 61-year-old semi-MIL drinks warm, boxed, white wine. Daily. It disgusts me, so I'm assuming it will disgust you

It's technically correct. A rosé is just a wine with a short period of maceration(the juice sitting in the skins, pits, and stems). That's where the color comes from. Fresh grape must is just kinda grayish. So any white version of a typically red wine is just rosé renamed so we stupid Americans aren't overwhelmed by the majesty of French wine jargon.

Warm, white, boxed wine, huh? Ever swap stories with this lady? I don't see how you can get down with a hot box of Franzia chard without living an interesting life.

Hey you. I decided to approach Evan Williams with a fresh and open mind, just for you, and the Single Barrel's pretty tasty. Black label's still awful, though.

simple posted:

Hey OP please make fun of my taste of XO and Royal Salute.

XO what? You drink a French brandy age standard? Royal Salute? Really? Did you just plug expensive booze into Google, and rush here to post the first two results? Or are you just a man of exquisite tastes? Do you only shitpost on the finest of Alienware gaming laptops? Please teach me to be classy.

Harime Nui posted:

This is my favorite beer op, I'll be pleasantly surprised if you've had it :smug:

breaking tables like a dumbass

You know, the only thing I ever remember about Rogue is the big loving crop report they send out to vendors that nobody reads. Hey you had a great hops yield? I don't give a poo poo. Just make the loving beer. Jesus, why must everything from Oregon be loving insufferable?

Yes I know Deschutes is from Oregon, but I just really like their beer.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 17, 2014

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Gin. Haymans sloe gin and traders gin normally. Straight up or 2 parts sloe 1 part traders and the other half juice.

Edit: or tonic if I am out of juice.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Clitch posted:

You know, the only thing I ever remember about Rogue is the big loving crop report they send out to vendors that nobody reads. Hey you had a great hops yield? I don't give a poo poo. Just make the loving beer. Jesus, why must everything from Oregon be loving insufferable?

Yes I know Deschutes is from Oregon, but I just really like their beer.

lol I was sitting in a Rogue bar in Portland one time and the president of Rogue came in and tried to get people in the bar to take "the Rogue oath." He was this old-rear end hippy with a big gandalf walking stick and had a huge gnarly beard and he was like "everyone raise your right hand! I swear to distinguish flavor dadada" and like nobody is doing it and it's the saddest thing of all time

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Gin. Haymans sloe gin and traders gin normally. Straight up or 2 parts sloe 1 part traders and the other half juice.

Edit: or tonic if I am out of juice.

Hayman's Old Tom is some fine gin, so I can't hate. It's honestly hard to make fun of gin, because it takes a whopping $15 to buy a fifth of something decent. If you like spending $30 on Ransom or Hayman's, then go forth and live a good life, I guess. If you are buying that level of gin, and mix with tonic, you should try Jack Rudy Tonic. You will feel like a fancy rear end in a top hat, and not care.

How often are you seeing their sloe gin, though? A boutique sloe gin is a hard sell, where I'm at.

Harime Nui posted:

lol I was sitting in a Rogue bar in Portland one time and the president of Rogue came in and tried to get people in the bar to take "the Rogue oath." He was this old-rear end hippy with a big gandalf walking stick and had a huge gnarly beard and he was like "everyone raise your right hand! I swear to distinguish flavor dadada" and like nobody is doing it and it's the saddest thing of all time

I've always had the theory that Portlandia was Fred Armisen making true stories about Portland less funny. Thank you for the supporting data.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Clitch posted:

I've always had the theory that Portlandia was Fred Armisen making true stories about Portland less funny. Thank you for the supporting data.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/high-high-elf-stabs-portland-woman-car-sword-article-1.1797157

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

mike's hard lemonade, smirnoff ice, and other 5% girly drinks :gay:

i don't think i've ever gotten properly drunk either

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Another thing is, hops is like literally one of the toughest plants, it's basically a weed. Having a "great hops year" is like saying "yeah we managed to grow a lot of thistle this year on our farm lol," it's basically expected.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

drat. I'm gonna be published.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

mike's hard lemonade, smirnoff ice, and other 5% girly drinks :gay:

i don't think i've ever gotten properly drunk either

So were you raised in a deeply religious household with a distant father, and an overly cautious mother, or are you just a giant pussy?

Harime Nui posted:

Another thing is, hops is like literally one of the toughest plants, it's basically a weed. Having a "great hops year" is like saying "yeah we managed to grow a lot of thistle this year on our farm lol," it's basically expected.

Why you gotta hate on trustafarians with nothing but a head full of crusty dreds and dreams? Truthfully, Rogue is great beer, but they're like Stone in that they seem to enjoy being an identity as much as a good brewery. And they're really loving proud of that poo poo too.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Clitch posted:

How often are you seeing their sloe gin, though? A boutique sloe gin is a hard sell, where I'm at.
I've only seen it at the megamart down the road here. I just get it for the different flavor, poo poo is ridiculously tasty. Pretty loving pricey tho. What are some cheap gins that are decent?? - traders seems to be the tastiest of the ones Ive tried before the big price jump

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mostly vodka with ice or whiskey with ice. If I need to sober up a bit - vodka-red bull

But my favourite drink is Henessy VSOP, so cheerful

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 17, 2014

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I mostly drink neat rum. I'm currently on a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, which is absolutely loving delicious.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I say "straight" instead of "neat" and uh, eah

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I've only seen it at the megamart down the road here. I just get it for the different flavor, poo poo is ridiculously tasty. Pretty loving pricey tho. What are some cheap gins that are decent?? - traders seems to be the tastiest of the ones Ive tried before the big price jump

My usual suggestion, I'm probably going to get some flak for. It's New Amsterdam. Yes, it's toned down on the juniper, and yes, it emphasizes citrus to make it taste good with juice. It's a very targeted product, but it's well-aimed. New Am's reasonable and it makes a tasty mixed drink. When it's disgustingly hot here, I mix it over crushed ice with ruby red grapefruit juice, and half as much orange juice. Bar Syrup, or Agave Nectar optional to taste. It's refreshing as poo poo, and the juice keeps it from dehydrating you.

For other suggestions, honestly, just pick up any London Dry that's $2-3 more than Seagrams. You'll probably be holding a decent gin. It's that simple.

Sekenr posted:

Mostly vodka with ice or whiskey with ice. If I need to sober up a bit - vodka-red bull

But my favourite drink is Henessy VSOP, so cheerful

You're probably a bro, but you went to the good state school. Henny VSOP is very tasty, but Remy VSOP is usually about $15 cheaper, and also a damned fine glass of brandy. It usually goes on sale at a deep discount around Xmas, too. It's not quite the deep, round smoulder of Henessey. It's a little brighter.

EightDeer posted:

I mostly drink neat rum. I'm currently on a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, which is absolutely loving delicious.

You bet your rear end it is. I love Diplomatico. Exclusiva has such a rich, spiced butterscotch note to it, and it's smooth as Hell. Their ultra-premium. The Ambassador. That poo poo is just...unfair. As a big spirits nerd, just the texture of the stuff got me aroused.

Harime Nui posted:

I say "straight" instead of "neat" and uh, eah

Whatever works for you. I say neat around fellow Scotch dorks, but straight up works better at a bar.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Clitch posted:

So were you raised in a deeply religious household with a distant father, and an overly cautious mother, or are you just a giant pussy?

giant pussy but your other guess is on too with a bit of stretching, doesn't help that real alcohol is at best not to my taste and at worst puts me off trying to drink the rest of it

how might i best attempt to depussify myself?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Depends. Party night? Gin tonic, Irish car bombs, lager beer, black russian.

Drinking alone at home to forget my miserable life? Kilkenny, wheat beer or cheap taxfree red wine.

Quick round at the pub? Local amber.

Mandatory :goonsay:: Scotch if offered, neat or diluted. I'll try anything once, but I enjoyed Tullamore and laphroaig.

VVVVVV it's like reading a horoscope :monocle:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 17, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

giant pussy but your other guess is on too with a bit of stretching, doesn't help that real alcohol is at best not to my taste and at worst puts me off trying to drink the rest of it

how might i best attempt to depussify myself?

Hoegaarden.

Nastyman posted:

Depends. Party night? Gin tonic, Irish car bombs, lager beer, black russian.

Drinking alone at home to forget my miserable life? Kilkenny, wheat beer or cheap taxfree red wine.

Quick round at the pub? Local amber.

Mandatory :goonsay:: Scotch if offered, neat or diluted. I'll try anything once, but I enjoyed Tullamore and laphroaig.

You say the word 'chav' with derision, but inside you know it's a 'There, but for the grace of god, go I' situation.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 17, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Going to bed.

If you people keep this dumb thread around until tomorrow night, I'll be back.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Most recent alcohol purchase was a bottle of Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese, 2000.

EDIT: That's right, run away.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Demonachizer posted:

Most recent alcohol purchase was a bottle of Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese, 2000.

EDIT: That's right, run away.

It took you a whole lot of words to say 'german chick wine'. :smug:

Bertram
Oct 25, 2010
Guinness, Meisells Weisse, Islay (Laphroaig quarter cask preferably, but usually Talisker or Jura 'cos your average barstaff can't work out what "lafroy" is without you guiding them to the bottle)

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

If you don't give me your support, I'll have to shit all over you. I don't want to do that but I can, and I will if I have to.
i drink arak neat

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Clitch posted:

It's technically correct. A rosé is just a wine with a short period of maceration(the juice sitting in the skins, pits, and stems). That's where the color comes from. Fresh grape must is just kinda grayish. So any white version of a typically red wine is just rosé renamed so we stupid Americans aren't overwhelmed by the majesty of French wine jargon.

Warm, white, boxed wine, huh? Ever swap stories with this lady? I don't see how you can get down with a hot box of Franzia chard without living an interesting life..

Makes sense. I live in the middle of the US, where trends take fifteen years to creep in from the coasts, so I hadn't heard it. Same almost-MIL calls it a 'blush' which is AFAIK not pretentious, just true.

I've been trying to get good stories out of her but she's a very Catholic woman who also has illusions of being a southern belle, so it's like getting a live human out of a Geo Tracker that got smashed by a semi. Also, at least some of the drinking is her substitute for going to therapy and working on the many issues she's got from A. being married to an abusive man, B. divorcing that man, and C. still sharing a kid with that man until the man died. Along with other assorted life weirdness.

Some of the best booze-related stories I've heard come from my father, who hasn't drank in, I don't know, thirty, thirty-five years. Like when he and his brother went through roughly 40 beers in a night and he decided, with the urging of his brother, to drive his Corvette down some railroad tracks, getting on them at a street crossing where they were level with the road. Not only did they make onto the tracks, they made it a good sixty feet down them before the wheels went off, front wheels on one side of the tracks, back wheels on the other. Since it was stuck and they were waaay too drunk to call for hep without getting arrested, and there was nothing they could do, they left the keys in it, walked back home, drank a little more, and passed out.

A few hours later he woke up and dragged his rear end to work, weird third-shift times.When he came out of work early the next morning, there was his Corvette, sitting in the parking lot of the tow-yard across from the factory exit he came out of. He got the spare key out of his wallet, jumped in, started it, and drove home. He was never contacted by the police or the tow-yard.

He later found out that a train did, in fact, come down those tracks, and it loving stopped. This was in a rural area outside of a decent-sized down, so the train had miles of visibility to see the very shiny red thing across the tracks, and was able to brake. The train conductors (or whatever their titles were in the 70's) hopped out and went knocking on the doors of the houses the track ran behind, going Hey, WTF, is this your car?" Once they ascertained it didn't belong to anyone nearby, they had it towed. To the tow-yard directly outside the doors my dad used to exit work.

My mother's first (also fourth) husband likes to say that my father could 'fall in a shitheap and come out smelling like a rose,' and cites this story often as proof. My dad still has an 'oh gawrsh' attitude about it, possibly because things usually work out for him.

Between the range of my father's stories and the Catholic/southern belle poo poo, I don't think I'm going to get any stories out of the woman who started an anti-feminist group in college in the early 70's that really wow me. Most amusing thing I've seen her do is get drunk, go outside, fall down in plain view of the house, then later claim the bruise was from falling on 'uneven cement.'

I'll probably get poo poo for sharing that story of my dad's but it's too awesome, and it's been corroborated by enough people that I'm certain it happened.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i dont drink alcohol, op

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp
i drink a lot of bourbon because i am a loser, op

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Clitch posted:

Wow. You're loving boring. You're that guy who's drunk five minutes into the party, and acting like a dumbass way before the appropriate energy's there. The party's at a solid 3, and steadily rising, and you're already trying to gently caress the host's dog.

It's my job to know a lot about spirits, so I drink mostly liquor, but I drink everything. Mostly whisky.

I was going to post my liquor choices but this response would pretty much cover it so I wont

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I drink Hendricks and Four Roses

Edit: Flying Dog is my favorite brewery

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I like Amaretto and Apfelkorn. Any other kind of hard liquor just makes me vaguely nauseous.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's pretty hard to beat a long glass of Dubonnet with tonic water, slice of lemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
canadian club 12 year reserve

nickel brook headstock ale

founders old dirty bastard

tanqueray

• Locked thread