Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina bagged a big win against Furman, allowing them to take it easy for a week and finally get some backups much needed experience.

While nice, none of that changes the fact Auburn will hang 60+ on us next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Mizzou had one more first down than they had TD and they won the game. I'd like to see the last time those same variables were matched.

Mizzou essentially won in spite of themselves.

The Florida-South Carolina game in 2012 was pretty hosed up. They blew us out (44-11), but at one point they had more points than yards, thanks to us gifting them approximately a thousand fumbles in our own territory. We had more first downs, total yards, and passing yards -- they did out-rush us, at least. I wish it had been us instead of Mizzou visiting this same pain upon them, but I was enjoying the schadenfreude regardless.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 19, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Incredibly, Auburn is only a 14-point favorite over us next week. They will win by 28+ and it'll be over by halftime for anyone who wants free money.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

swizz posted:

Yeah, no freaking kidding. Florida will win the national championship in the next five years and we'll be treated to a bootstraps story the likes which we have never seen

Yup. I actually don't hate Florida football and happen to dislike their basketball/baseball programs much more, but I cannot bring myself to care about this. I understand why they're upset and I'm sure I would be too if I were in their position, but the pity party (and not necessarily just in TFF; in general, as well) is getting a little out of control.

I also just want to keep laughing about how Jeff Driskel was tabbed MOST LIKELY BREAKOUT PLAYER OF THE YEAR every preseason for like three years running. It must rule to be a program that always has the benefit of the doubt, even in the face of hard evidence otherwise.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 20, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I actually find it funny more so than frustrating, what is more annoying to me is getting stuck with a coach who is just good enough to keep his job but isn't really good enough to win championships. Once it was clear Muschamp wasn't the guy I just laughed with the rest of America at the hi jinx and started speculating about the next coach.

Yeah, that 11-2 season was pretty much the worst thing that could have happened for y'all. That was the definition of smoke and mirrors if I've ever seen it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I always wonder how much of South Carolina being good is due to Tennessee (and to a lesser extent Florida) being down.

One reason Tennessee is down is that they can't just waltz into South Carolina and cherry pick all the top recruits out of there anymore. Our ability to finally protect the borders and collect high-caliber in-state talent has (obviously) paid huge dividends for us and contributed to Tennessee's recent struggles. Butch Jones has started putting together some really nice classes for them, but as of right now, the days of Tennessee raiding SC for whoever they want are over.

It kind of drives me crazy when people try to discredit a team's success because "oh, the traditional powers are down" or "oh, the division is really bad." College football is cyclical, and unless a program is some kind of absurd dynasty like Alabama, there's going to be a lot of variation from year to year. It still requires a good team to take advantage of favorable circumstances.

Now, if one were to argue that we've underachieved despite 11-win seasons because we never made it to Atlanta during that stretch, that's a pretty drat good argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

SC has a ton of awesome PE classes, to the extent I found myself wishing I needed a PE requirement to graduate. My schedule was just too slammed otherwise to fit it in.

• Locked thread