Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

also: what is the right age to teach your kids about tupac?

BEFORE they find out santa isn't real but AFTER you teach them about biggie smalls

hey so anybody know why so many people adopt kids from overseas? Is it a weird legal thing where it's easier to adopt internationally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

whoflungpoop posted:

Adopting kids and giving them a loving home is a cool thing to do :unsmith:

There are lots of people out there willing to adopt, but it takes a absurd amount of money and time, and even after all of that you can fart in church or something and get rejected anyways. Sometimes it seems people think if they are going to spend gobs and gobs of money anyways, why adopt a local runt when you can get an exotic kid that you can be extra smug about adopting. Sure children from around the world need love, but its not like there aren't kids in your own State or Province that need a home too. :smith:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

lmao if u pay 35k in hospital fees

ftfy

adopting is probably the most tolerable form of child-having I could imagine

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Monkey Fracas posted:

hey so anybody know why so many people adopt kids from overseas? Is it a weird legal thing where it's easier to adopt internationally?

Sometimes it's because they wouldn't be allowed to adopt in the US (they're gay or a single parent or whatever), but most often it's because in the US you could end up on a waiting list to adopt a kid and just keep on waiting for like, 7 years and at the end of that 7 years they might give you a 5 year old with a colostomy bag and aggression problems.

If you go international you can decrease your wait time to 1-3 years and you can likely get a kid that's 1-3 years old.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Very interesting documentary following 4 families who are trying to adopt internationally. It shows how extremely hard it is, and going international is the easier route.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70270911?trkid=13752289

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I wouldn't mind fostering when I'm older but I also would like to grow my own weed so unless weed is decriminalised here in the next 15 years some disadvantaged kids are poo poo out of luck

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Didn't really understand kids. They only seemed annoying and I never thought babies were cute.
Then I became a father and it really is amazing. My point being you will probably change your minds when the time comes.
This comes from a guy playing hard mode, got twins who will be 1 year in November.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's a lot more children up for adoption overseas, so it's less of a waiting list, and less expensive.

I wanted to adopt a kid, my wife also wanted to but she also had that maternal instinct thing and wanted a child that resembled both of us, so we're going to do both (have 1 kid and adopt 1 kid).

I don't mind the pooping of the pants or constant financial drain; the only reason I ever hesitated having kids was because I cannot comprehend constantly worrying about another human being so much. Like our dog was in the hospital overnight last week, and I was worried loving sick over it; I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I felt terrible, etc. Imagine that but with a child. :psyduck:

I pray Google releases the self-driving cars before my kids get their driver's licenses. :pray:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Mnemosyne posted:

Sometimes it's because they wouldn't be allowed to adopt in the US (they're gay or a single parent or whatever), but most often it's because in the US you could end up on a waiting list to adopt a kid and just keep on waiting for like, 7 years and at the end of that 7 years they might give you a 5 year old with a colostomy bag and aggression problems.

If you go international you can decrease your wait time to 1-3 years and you can likely get a kid that's 1-3 years old.

Why is that? They poo poo all over underprivileged kids in every single aspect of life, why jerk kids around to foster home to foster home to foster home rather then allow someone to adopt them and treat them as their own?

Maybe go back to making them line up to be gawked at like dogs in a pound like in little orphan Annie or something. Sure the cute kids are going to get snatched up, but kids gotta learn at some point that life sucks, and sometimes you can't even just play the cards you were dealt because your hand sucks so bad.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Torka posted:

it's good to have kids because they completely occupy all your time and thoughts for at least two decades that you'd otherwise spend struggling to cope with the meaninglessness of existence instead

if your kid's a fuckup and needs support well into adulthood it's even better because then the distraction might last until you die

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Seriously why on earth do they make adoption so god drat hard. Hurr durr we have tons of kids that need homes and tons of families that want to give them one but we're going to make the process of making this happen excessively expensive and long to the point where no one wants to do it unless its literally their only option.

Imagine if you had to jump through the same hoops to have your own kid.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
in lieu of policing reproduction somehow, let's give basically anybody quick unfettered access to kids who have nobody else I guess

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

Cucking Mama posted:

in lieu of policing reproduction somehow, let's give basically anybody quick unfettered access to kids who have nobody else I guess

unfettered access to children you say :pedo:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
There is probably some rationale for it but man it sure does look like a lovely deal for pretty much everyone on the surface

Cucking Mama posted:

I dunno if it is literally like 5-7 years that seems a little extreme maybe

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Shnag posted:

Why is that? They poo poo all over underprivileged kids in every single aspect of life, why jerk kids around to foster home to foster home to foster home rather then allow someone to adopt them and treat them as their own?

Maybe go back to making them line up to be gawked at like dogs in a pound like in little orphan Annie or something. Sure the cute kids are going to get snatched up, but kids gotta learn at some point that life sucks, and sometimes you can't even just play the cards you were dealt because your hand sucks so bad.

I'm not an expert on this matter, but some of the kids who are in foster homes are kids whose parents haven't fully terminated their parental rights / given the kids up for adoption. There are a lot of people whose kids get taken away because they go to jail or because they've been declared negligent or whatever bad thing they did, but they're still considered the kid's parent. It's supposed to be some level of temporary until the bio parent can get themselves sorted out enough to take their kids back.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GORDON posted:

edit - And I just realized, my parents generation were so screwed up that they have created a generation of people, half of whom are scared to death of ever becoming parents, themselves. How bout that.

I don't think it's a "scared of becoming parents" thing so much as people realizing they don't have to become parents if they really don't want to. In generations past it was just sort of accepted that you would get married and have kids. For some reason people have sort of realized they don't need to do either of those or opt for just one.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
People already have unfettered access to kids. Its called having a baby.

Do you really think if they made the adoption process more reasonable you'd have a bunch of people adopting kids for sweatshops or something?

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
My sis adopted two black kids from a 3rd world country (America) and found out they were priced cheaper than white ones. :\

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

whoflungpoop posted:

Jets WR David Nelson found a bunch of kids in Haiti who were being starved and neglected by a fake charity and adopted them all and built a house for them. He has his brother and hired local Haitian women to help look after them during football season.

Adopting kids and giving them a loving home is a cool thing to do :unsmith:

Some of those kids are adults.

They're tricking him!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the problem with american adoptions is that all the prospects did gently caress all at the combine & have poo poo wonderlic scores

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

my parents had me because they didn't do anything else with their lives

it hosed me up pretty bad when they didn't like how much work it was to raise a kid

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Al Nipper posted:

My sis adopted two black kids from a 3rd world country (America) and found out they were priced cheaper than white ones. :\
I wonder how much money administration skims from the whole process. Like are there high up pencil pushers making 6 figures while insisting that all the bureacracy that makes adoption so expensive is completely necessary for the good of the kids?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyfire posted:

I don't think it's a "scared of becoming parents" thing so much as people realizing they don't have to become parents if they really don't want to. In generations past it was just sort of accepted that you would get married and have kids. For some reason people have sort of realized they don't need to do either of those or opt for just one.

I think a lot of people are like that. I think more people, though, are afraid of losing their awesome swinging life of bongs and xbox and disposable income and sleeping late and whatever. I think they should be more afraid of what happens when they aren't young any more and bongs and xbox and being alone doesn't doesn't have the appeal it once had. They can't comprehend that they could possibly be happy with the lovely diapers and 2am fever pukes and surly teen years and still be way happier than they can possibly imagine.

edit - And fear of screwing up their own kids as badly as they feel their parents screwed them up.

IMO

GORDON fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 22, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

oxytocin is pretty great and i'm sure addictive too yeah

weed is probably cheaper though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ThisGuy posted:

I joined this internet forum after all my friends starting owning houses, having kids, and being boring fucks

'they used to be real fun dudes, always down to have a beer and listen to some rush, or up for a game of tabletop.'

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

I started feeling like I wanted to have kids because my pregnant sister-in-law is visiting, but then I went to the doctor's office and the kids in the waiting room were all such a bunch of little shits, that I changed my mind instantly.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

definitely weird to see idiot dudes from high school with wives and houses and 2 children on facebook. they're still 17-year-olds in my mind

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

GORDON posted:

I think a lot of people are like that. I think more people, though, are afraid of losing their awesome swinging life of bongs and xbox and disposable income and sleeping late and whatever. I think they should be more afraid of what happens when they aren't young any more and bongs and xbox and being alone doesn't doesn't have the appeal it once had. They can't comprehend that they could possibly be happy with the lovely diapers and 2am fever pukes and surly teen years and still be way happier than they can possibly imagine.

edit - And fear of screwing up their own kids as badly as they feel their parents screwed them up.

IMO

Bongs and xbox dont get old tho....

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

It was in the "Why not abort all down's babies" thread and he basically didn't want to have his wife divorce him over their down's baby if he asked her to get an abortion and then he tried to convince the thread he was super happy that his three year old down's baby could do simple things. He had to abandon the thread because goons were telling him that the kid may have already hit his developmental ceiling and that he would probably die before 40 due to the much higher rate of heart failure and cancer in Down's adults.

sounds like a p good thread tbh

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GORDON posted:

IMO

I mean, kids are a huge undertaking that change your life completely, which is a huge factor in why we don't want them and why I can't understand why people want them in general. My wife and I are in complete agreement that they don't fit into our lives because we would rather focus on our careers, travel and our other interests than care for kids; we just really like our lives how they are. We have nieces and a nephew and while we like spending time with the kids they've never made us re-consider our decision.

I'm glad you are enjoying parenthood, I've seen what happens when a parent clearly didn't want kids but went along with it and it's not fair to anyone in that situation.

Chum Scandal posted:

sounds like a p good thread tbh

Yeah, it was great, the guy kept saying he was done arguing with the thread but then kept posting again and again in favor of not aborting kids with genetic diseases that will effect the quality and length of their lives.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyfire posted:

I'm glad you are enjoying parenthood, I've seen what happens when a parent clearly didn't want kids but went along with it and it's not fair to anyone in that situation.

To be fair, the wife and I married at 22, and we didn't think we could even have kids but then at 35 we had one. So we had our 20's free. My experience of parenthood is uncommon, I admit.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I dunno if it is literally like 5-7 years that seems a little extreme maybe

That's the wait for a healthy, white newborn. Older, browner children are cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
my ancestor survived evaporating water pools by developing legs and escaping to land, one of my ancestors tunneled underground to survive the meteorite apocalypse 65 million years ago, as a Viking my ancestor crushed his opponents with a giant hammer weapon and mated with a female waiting for him at home.

Now, it is I - the manifestation of prior struggles - a genetic dead end about to watch Netlix

• Locked thread