Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Contents

Introduction (see below)
Fan Art Gallery (see below)
Chapter I: Welcome To Morrowind, Try Not To Get Eaten
Chapter II: The Club At The End Of The Street
Chapter III: The Falling, The Fallen, And The Fell
Chapter IV: The Taskmasters
Chapter V: Ruins and Ash
Chapter VI: Anti-Competitive Behaviour
Chapter VII: When Opportunity Knocks
Chapter VIII: Hither And Thither
Chapter IX: The Hazards Of Ancient Machinery
Chapter X: This Is Why We Don't Consort With Daedra Any More
Chapter XI: Flight Of The Sorceress
Chapter XII: It Came From Nchuleftingth
Chapter XIII: For Want Of A Soul Gem
Chapter XIV: Bringing Light Into Darkness
Chapter XV: The Wandering Sorceress
Chapter XVI: Back To Where We Began
Chapter XVII: Fun Times With Weapons
Chapter XVIII: Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap
Chapter XIX: Sticky Fingers
Chapter XX: Kwama and Eggs
Chapter XXI: Fear And Loathing In Vivec
Chapter XXII: On Matters Concerning Prophecy

Introduction

Welcome to my second attempt at a Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind LP. The first one went pear-shaped after my computer decided it was sick of being the games machine it was never designed to be and made me reinstall Windows. But now that I have a new machine which has a decent GPU (Intel HD :woot:), I've decided it's just better to scrap the whole thing and start over. I'm still installing all the software I need on the new system, but that shouldn't keep me from giving you regular updates on the action. Plus, since I haven't gotten any further than Balmora, it's still mostly blind and you still get to watch me stumble around in the dark. No, I still won't use any mods. It's going to look a lot better, though: there's shader support, the caustics look great and the animation is much smoother with better responsiveness. The browns are browner, the metals are gleamier... and the elves still look ugly as gently caress, but don't let that distract you. :P

Fan Art Gallery

Pvt.Scott's tasteful rendition of Bjorca fighting the Dark Brotherhood beneath Mournhold:

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Let's Install Morrowind!
Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you mean by "Morrowind's random encounters scripting" in the last post of the last thread?

I mean the script or whatever doodad that makes random characters appear on the side of the road, like the Dunmer you guys wanted me to kill. It doesn't make the same characters appear twice, which ruins the whole idea of "I'll just play through again until I get to the point I was at before everything went to Oblivion".

Old Grey Guy posted:

ScreamingLlama, the Dark Brotherhood scripting and plenty others are seriously faulty to the point where the can ruin your saved games. They need patching with the Unofficial Patch. 'No mods' is one thing, 'unpatched' is another. :)

Noted. I'll track down the Unofficial Patch, hopefully it'll work with the Steam edition.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Alrighty, here we go! The new and improved LP!

Chapter I: Welcome to Morrowind, Try Not To Get Eaten

Purveyors of bug-riddled hilarity and RPG addiction since 1995.

with no apology to Michael Kirkbride whatsoever

Let's begin.

And thus there is no game and we're left sitting gormlessly in our underwear in front of a blank screen.

Azura: You have been taken from The Imperial City's prison. First by carriage, then by boat. To the east, to Morrowind. Fear not, for I am watchful. You have been chosen.

Jiub: Wake up. We're here. Are you OK? Why are you shaking? Wake up!

The dread scenes and voice fade from my head as my fellow prisoner, a dark elf named Jiub, is shaking me awake. We're in a cramped bunk on some dingy Imperial prison transport.

Bjorca: Bjorca. My name is... Bjorca. Where are we?

Jiub:

Bjorca: By Malacath, they'd better. I didn't even do anything wrong. You put one foot in the wrong part of Cyrodiil and suddenly you're a target.

Sure enough, the guard comes clomping down the passageway to our little cabin.

I hesitate.

I emerge on deck to see the sparkling waters of the Bitter Coast and the towering trees. The sun's rays hurt my eyes after being cooped up for so long and I can hear the lowing of the siltstrider parked over the water.

Here's my ID.

Guard:

Fit right in? Hah. Whatever you say.

Inside the census office, I'm greeted by another Imperial, who takes my particulars and signs off on my release papers.

Bjorca: Occupation? Um... freelance sorcerer?
Socucius Ergallus:

Bjorca: Pretty sure I was born under the Atronach. My mother said I burned like Hammerfell cuisine.

Socucius Ergallus:

Yep, that seems to be in order. Bjorca the Orsimer Atronach Sorceress. Are we ready for some misadventure, kids?

Socucius Ergallus:

Sweet. Let's blow this joint.

Before I do that, though, there's a roomful of stuff just begging to be taken. No really. "Take us with yooooou, Bjorca! Look, I'm a nice shiny dagger! Wouldn't you like to get all stabby with me?"

First attempt at lockpicking doesn't quite work out.

Half a dozen attempts later...

Further down the hallway and down some stairs, there's some sacks and barrels full of more stuff to take.

I can even pinch the torches off the wall. :D

Outside the oddly designed building, there's a barrel in the courtyard near the other door with a ring and some other stuff in it.

Inside the other office, another Imperial Legion muckety-muck wants to talk to me.

Sellus Gravius:
Bjorca: I'm listening.
Sellus Gravius:

So I have a job to do as a condition of my release, and some money courtesy of Captain Picard Professor Xavier Emperor Uriel himself. No problem.

Outside in the town proper, I run into a wood elf named Fargoth. Turns out the ring I picked up earlier is his, taken from him by some crooked guards.

He's so happy to get it back that he scores a discount for me at the general store. Which is good, because that's exactly where I'm headed now.

Arrille is happy to take my ill-gotten goods off my hands in exchange for some more spending cash.

He sells spells, too, which is a bonus. I sincerely doubt Fire Bite is going to cut it here.

I manage to slap together a decent set of armour with the leftover cash. There's no steel boots available, so chitin will have to do.

I wander around Seyda Neen for a bit and chat up the locals. Might check that cave out later when I'm done in Balmora.

I'm poking around the lighthouse picking herbs when OH GODS WHAT IS THAT

KILL IT WITH MAGIC

Ooh, look what I found while examining random hollow tree stumps!

There's some good loot inside the lighthouse as well.

]

Too bad it wasn't mine to take.

ORCISH SORCERESS POWAAAAAH :science:

:byewhore:

Upstairs, there's a skill book and a few other things just waiting for me.

I even pinch the lanterns. Why? 'Cause I can.

Another stopover at Arrille's and OOOH LOOK WHAT I FOUND! VERY USEFUL INDEED.

My shopping done, I finally hit the road and head for the transit station.

As the siltstrider clears the platform, I settle down for a short nap.

Tune in next time for another exciting chapter!

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 20, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aerion111 posted:

...I'm seeing a long list of 'Sorry, this person moved or deleted this image.' - usually I only see those kinda posts when going back to a half-decade-old LP (For example, the more well-known of the KoDP LPs on this site lacks any images, as far as I can tell; To fully enjoy it, I had to use the images on that off-site storage place, and then read the audience participation in the archived thread)
Is this just the LP curse, or have you given up on this thread too?

Fuuuuuuuuck. Don't worry, I'll fix it. Sometimes when images are freshly uploaded to photobucket, they don't cache properly.

Geop posted:

Might wanna give LPix or self-hosting a look rather than Photobucket :v:

I tried LPix. Frustrated the poo poo out of me. At least with photobucket you can drag and drop and do batch uploads.

anilEhilated posted:

So yeah, this is a thing that doesn't exist. If the pilgrim isn't there, you're looking in the wrong place.
You could seriously do some homework before you start talking poo poo like this.

Well excuse me mister high tom titty for not knowing everything there is to know about random encounters in an Elder Scrolls game.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK. Give me a couple of hours to sort this mess out, then you should be able to see everything.

EDIT: That took less time than I thought it would. All done! Usually photobucket isn't that ornery when it comes to LPs. Thanks for the help, Geop.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 20, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The bandwidth cap has increased dramatically, but the caching problem still persists and I just found out they don't support my favourite browser. I'll definitely be using LPix/Rightload from here on in.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 20, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aerion111 posted:

It seems you've got more subtitles this time - probably just the choice of timing on the screenshots - which makes something even clearer to me: I played far too much Morrowind back in the day (or, rather, did too much amateur modding without a skip-the-start mod to make testing faster)
As in, I can recall the voice and 'tempo' of the lines even like a decade later (particularly 'and the choice is yours' during char-gen)

Am I alone in this? Are the voices just perfectly suited to burrow into people's ears and stay there?

I grabbed the subtitles because I figured it would save time trying to memorize and type in all the dialogue. It's also quick and easy to chop up the conversation text and post it as separate images.

You're not alone in the "remembering lines" thing, but that's probably because I have eidetic memory and can remember plenty of stuff from games and movies.

EDIT: OK, I went looking for the unofficial patches, but there's a whole bunch of different ones. Which one do I get, and how do I install it?

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 21, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Done and dusted.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll get it once I find someone who sells it. Anyway, here's the next chapter:

Chapter II: The Club At The End Of The Street

It's nine PM on the dot when the siltstrider docks at Balmora.

It doesn't take long to drag my tired rear end to the South Wall Cornerclub, It's just across the river from the transit station.

The friendly bartender downstairs can't help me, but he does direct me to the cornerclub's proprietor, who is all the way back upstairs.

It's too late to go looking for Cosades now, so I rent a bed from Bacola Closcius and hit the hay. Really hard. With my head.

Zzzzzz

The pink dawn greets me as I step out of the front door of the club

After wandering across town because I'm a eejit and didn't follow directions, I finally rocked up to old Caius Cosades and gave him his package. He stinks worse than most orcs, by the way. I've known chieftains who didn't smell half as bad as this crackhead.

Caius Cosades:
Bjorca: Working for the Emperor's secret service? Sign me up!
Caius Cosades:
Bjorca: Tell me more about the Blades trainers. I should probably beef up a little before I take on anything big.
Caius Cosades:
Bjorca: I have to pay for my own training? That's some baby back bullshit right there.
Caius Cosades: Come back when you're ready to act like a Blade, Novice.

Having fulfilled my 'get out of jail but not for free' obligations, I go looking through the baskets, urns and crates scattered throughout town. Unlike the Seyda Neen lighthouse, though, no-one bats an eyelid when I take anything. WOOO FREE poo poo

I also make periodic stops to offload my free poo poo at the various merchants in town. Funny how they don't seem to like orcs all that much, but don't mind giving me drakes for the stuff I just nicked from right under their snooty elven noses. Oh, Morrowind.

I'm probably going to need those hammers not far down the track...

OOH LOOK WHAT I FOUND

Having amassed a large stock of plant bits, I whip out my trusty mortar and pestle and do a spot of grinding (both the plants and my Alchemy level :rimshot:).

This... THIS is why I sold my starting dagger. Who needs a pissing little dagger when you can have a magic longsword?

Next, I pop over to the Dunmer Temple to recharge my magicka.

One cash bribe offering later, I am granted Almsivi Restoration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16rohUbSA4o

Oh look, a fellow orc! He's also the only person to be genuinely nice to me today.

My surplus potions go to the local potion shop and her money fills my purse.

I MUST HAVE IT

Oof. Want, but can in no way afford.

Finally, I pay a visit to the local clothier.

Rockin' the purple robe. You like?

My business in Balmora concluded, I board the siltstrider for the return journey to Seyda Neen, where my adventures in Morrowind will truly begin.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to sign up with the Mages Guild, but there's stuff to do around Seyda Neen first, like Addamasartus. I only really wanted to get the start of the main quest out of the way so I could fart around the coast for a while. Once you check in with Caius Cosades, you're pretty much free to do as you please, then come back and get your first set of orders when you're ready.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

Have you ever tried wheeling and dealing while exhausted? There have been plenty of times when I've been offered a poo poo deal but because I'm totally exhausted, I've totally ran with it because I couldn't be bothered to care.

Same here. I'm not really paying much attention to my Fatigue unless I'm in the heat of battle. Besides, my Mercantile skill is poo poo anyway because I'm focusing on combat skills.

tlarn posted:

Spending more time downloading, installing and configuring mods than actually playing the game is the essential modern Elder Scrolls experience, to be fair.

I speak from experience when I say this: there is no modding community like the Sims modding community.

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is neither Oblivion nor Skyrim. Your character is good with Short Blade weapons, so if you try and get fancy with that poo poo now you are going to miss and miss and miss with that Long Blade weapon because it is a Long Blade weapon. Diversify later, and use what your character has loving skills in for now.

Too late for that. :P

Besides, I don't think you have any business lecturing me about Morrowind since your LP skipped over one of most lore-rich questlines in the whole franchise. (Hint: you should have spent a bit more time with a certain mer instead of just hitting him up for a pair of boots.)

Chapter III: The Falling, The Fallen, And The Fell

The moment I step off the siltstrider, I head straight for Addamasartus, ready to wreak some havoc as only a spell-slinging Orc can.

The dark elf at the entrance doesn't put up too much of a fight.

He doesn't give up any phat lewtz either, though.

His buddy behind the gate, though, packs more of a punch and FINALLY SOMEONE WHO USES MAGIC NOW THE ATRONACH SIGN IS ACTUALLY USEFUL

At this rate, I'll have maxed out my Destruction skill by the time I'm level 5. (Not that I'm complaining...)

Behind the gate on the left, there's a trio of slaves: two Argonians and a Khajiit.

Bjorca: Off you go then, there's a good kitty.

drat, that's harsh. I'm guessing that's why the slavers had the only keys on them.

I run into another Dunmer down near the supply crates, and this one has chitin throwing stars! WHY DIDN'T THEY HAVE THOSE IN LATER GAMES OMFG

Searching the crates yields some good loot, but sadly it's more than I can carry all at once. Better drop it off at Arrille's.

Unfortunately it's dark when I get back to Seyda Neen and I also need to rest up.

Thankfully, no-one at the Census and Excise Office complains when I use their spare bedroll for the night.

Come daybreak, I show up to my favourite trader with my armfuls of stuff, but it turns out he's kind of a wet blanket.

FINE THEN I'LL JUST SIT OUTSIDE AND GET HIGH FOR A WHILE IS THAT OKAY WITH YOU

Once I've used up all my stash (which did nothing, by the way. Must have been some low-grade poo poo), Arrille is happy to take my loot and sell me - single-use Almsivi Intervention scrolls? I'll take two! :D

Back inside the dank depths of Addamasartus cave, I crack open the rest of the crates. Bit of this, bit of that.

It's dark. It's stagnant. It smells like dark elf piss. AND I HAVE TO SWIM IN IT.
The things we adventurers do for treasure, eh?

After a brief underwater sojourn, I try out my new sword on a rat. Two dozen swings later, I dispose of the worthless carcass and keep looking.

Eventually I loop around to the supply dock, but there's one last part of the cave to check out.

This smells even MORE like dark elf piss and it's bloody cold.

Why does that skeleton have a fishing rod? There's no fish in the water.

After jimmying open the rusted chest near the skeleton, I'm done with that cave, so I sit outside the entrance and enjoy some :catdrugs: .

This is what :catdrugs: actually does, by the way.

Turns out I had it all along. :iiam: Will you please stop loving pestering me about it now?

Having amassed plenty of :homebrew: I pay Elone the cute Blades Trainer a visit.

Yeah, that should do it. Shut up, Lizard Wizard.

Having put some combat training under my belt, I check around town to see if anyone else has some work for me. Hrisskar Flat-Foot is happy to employ me for a dastardly task: robbing poor Fargoth. Nords can be such assholes.

Bjorca: That's it? You need me to collect some gold?

Hrisskar Flat-Foot:

Bjorca: How do you know he doesn't keep his money in the bank like normal people?

Hrisskar Flat-Foot:

Bjorca: *sigh* All right.

Hrisskar Flat-Foot:

Bjorca: I'll come find you when I have it.

It's still daylight, so I pass the time by exploring the area around Seyda Neen, gathering herbs and getting into fights with the wildlife.

Bjorca: What the...?
Tarhiel: *sickening thud*

:gonk: The poor fellow died on impact. Oh well. Let's see what he has on him.

Nice.

Well, that explains how he got up in the air in the first place. Something to file under 'don't try this at home', perhaps.

After some more exploring and critter-stomping, I come across a lonely Imperial corpse, half-chewed on by the rats I just slew.

Oh my. I'd better notify the C&E Office about this.

Bjorca: I found 200 septims, his clothing and a few sundries. If this document is anything to go by, half of Seyda Neen are trying to dodge their taxes.

Socucius Ergalla:

Bjorca: You got a deal!

Sellus Gravius is the first one I talk to, but he knows nothing.

I hit paydirt talking to Fargoth, but then I remember an unfortunate fact: Thavere was the lighthouse keeper who I robbed and killed yesterday. Crap.

I hate to do this because it's technically cheating, but thanks to my lack of foresight there's no other way to advance the quest. Still...

code:
>Llama is a dirty cheat

Fixed.

I suppose while I'm CHIMing my way around the game...

Time to bring the Emperor's justice to the malefactor.

Bjorca: Sorry, broham, that still doesn't get you off the hook. Dead or alive, you're coming with me.

Foryn Gilnith:

THIS ORC HAS A NAME AND SHE IS GOING TO CARVE IT INTO YOUR CORPSE, MOTHERFUCKER :black101:

That's the end of that one. Oh well, I can at least clean up this guy's shack and use it for myself. My own little home in Seyda Neen, provided the cell doesn't reset.

I inform Socucius Ergalla of my slaying of the murderous tax dodger and leave the census office 500 gold richer.

All that's left to do now is to find a good vantage point on top of the lighthouse and wait for Fargoth.

Sure enough, he makes his nightly visit and I make off with the contents of the hollow stump.

Hrisskar is so pleased with my efforts he only takes 200 gold and I get to keep the rest, including Fargoth's nifty ring.

The proceeds go towards another training session with Elone.

Bjorca: I'll finish you if you speak to me like that again! Who do you think you are?

Vodunius Nuccius:

Bjorca: A magic ring? Sure, I'll take it off your hands.

Vodunius Nuccius:

Bjorca: Remember that next time you decide to tell someone to go get killed, fetcher.

This is what 100 drakes bought me. If it weren't for the Damage Health effect, it would actually be pretty useful. But all it is right now is vendor trash.

Arrille's such a good sport, he doesn't even look at my merch, he just forks over the cash.

He also has a new spell in stock, which is good because I could really use a Restoration-class spell.

Next: joining the Mages Guild!

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 24, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Fawkes posted:

Not only at home: the first time I died in this game was because I tried one of the scrolls; pointing towards the sea direction was not enough.

By the way, the fastest Morrowind speedrun I've ever seen (6-7 minutes) makes an incredible use of them.

Maybe I could make a spell that does that later on. It would sure save me a lot of travel time/strider money.

Gridlocked posted:

Good to see that you're picking this up quickly again Llama.

Although I will say Lizard is right and really you should have probs stuck with short blade for now, although dumping money into long blade if you really want it is also acceptable.

I keep picking up long blades when looting and already have a kickass magic long blade, so I may as well stick with that.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Seriously, are you willfully ignoring the reason you shouldn't use a long blade at this point in the game? We're trying to help.

You're the one who said I had to suffer. :P Even if you didn't really mean it, I don't want the game to become too easy too early. Let's save the really game-breaking poo poo for later.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

Why are you afraid of "breaking the game too early" when you are already using console cheats? You can do so much in Morrowind. Accepting consequences is part of the game. "Too bad I can't complete that quest, but at least I got a nice house out of it!"

Fixing broken quests doesn't count (although I will cop to cheating on the locked chest, I should have left it alone). I'm not going to cheat my way right through the game, it'll ruin the LP.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yes, it's a screenshot LP. On an internet forum. Said LP is subject to the replies of other users on the internet forum. Seriously what is your problem?

The problem is your whining. I'm going with Long Blade, it's my choice, so deal with it.

WinterSteel posted:

*spoiley spoiley spoil*

I might look into those if I ever find myself in need of such objects. Right now, though, it's :science: time.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

lets let him flail around

Yeah, can't a man stumble around (mostly) blind in his own LP? New rule: if you need a spoiler tag to hide it, don't post it. And quit talking about mods while you're at it, this is a vanilla game and it just ain't gonna happen.

Chapter IV: The Taskmasters

Back in Balmora once again, I alight from the siltstrider only to make a beeline for the Mages Guild hall.

Bjorca: Yes, I would absolutely love to join the Mages Guild.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: What exactly does this oath entail?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I will perform any duties assigned to me by masters of the Guild. I will learn from them and grow strong. My knowledge will be shared freely with other members. I shall never strike nor steal from another member. This is my solemn vow, from this day until my last day.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: What duties do you have for me? I'm eager to begin.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: All right then.

Just near Ranis is a common supply chest. Inside I find OH MALACATH YES

Bjorca: Greetings, fellow Orc. I won't bother you for long. Do you have any spells I can buy?

Sharn gra-Muzgob: Hmph. I had you figured for a mage. Maybe you'll appreciate these?

My first Alteration spell!

And my first Mysticism spell! This is turning out to be a good day for me.

Ajira, a striped orange Khajiit, is in the next room over, beyond the sleeping partitions.

Bjorca: I think I'll give training a pass for now. Do you have any stuff that needs doing? Any duties for a lowly Associate like myself?

Ajira:

Bjorca: What kind of mushrooms?

Ajira:

Bjorca: Actually, I think I have some samples of those in my bag *rummage rummage*

Ajira:

Ajira gives me some low-end health regen potions. Not bad for a few plants I picked up around Seyda Neen :smug:

Ajira:

Bjorca: Sure, I'm up for a good prank. Back in a jiffy.

Galbedir's desk is right up the top of the second set of stairs, near the door I came in.

One fake soul gem. I wonder if it's just a dummy or if it's rigged to blow up or something.

Exit one clueless Bosmer twit, stage right. Enjoy your soul gem. :hurr:

Ajira:

Bjorca: No problem. Anything else?

Ajira:

Bjorca: I've never been there. Is it far?

Ajira:

Bjorca: I'll be back with your flowers. Don't go anywhere.

No strider ride this time. I'm hoofing it out across the foyada.

Plenty of time to pick a few samples of my own along the way.

Fort Moonmoth, home to the West Gash Imperial Legion garrison. It looks jarringly out of place - Cyrodiilic architecture in the middle of Morrowind - but also kind of cool.

Foyada Mamaca. Who builds a highway through a bloody lava spillway, that's what I want to know. Bloody dark elves! Anyway, I go straight ahead here, then take a hard left...

...out of the foyada, over a slight hump and straight ahead at these crossroads to reach Lake Amaya.

A stone's throw later, I come across the first flower on my list.

Stoneflower petals? Check.

Willow Flower? Double check. I also gather the nearby black anther; even though it's not that useful, people will still pay me for it.

It's getting dark, so I throw caution to the wind and run back the way I came.

Night falls just as I cross the Odai and return to the guild hall. It's 9pm, but Ajira is still up and mixing.

Ajira:

She stuffs a few more potions into my inventory, including frost and fire resistance.

Bjorca: Anything else before I turn in?

Ajira:

I suppose a little late-night shopping never hurt anyone. Fortunately, Ra'Virr's is right next door and he has some excellent quality ceramic bowls for sale.

Ajira:

Bjorca: STOLEN!? Don't people swear oaths around here?

Ajira:

Bjorca: THAT HIGH ELF BITCH :argh:

Bjorca: As soon as I can prove what you did, your golden rear end is mine.

Fortunately, it doesn't take long to find one of the missing reports. I suppose at least Galbedir isn't willing to sink to plagiarism.

A few pokes of the lockpick yields... an empty chest.

This closet took a LOT of lockpicking and actually used up one of my picks. The report's not in there, but I'm prepared to toss the entire guild hall until I find the other report. Failing that, I may have to bend my oath and turn Galbedir upside down and shake her until the report falls out...

Oh. There it is.

Ajira:

MORE potions. Well, she is an alchemist, and whatever I don't need I can always sell back to her.

In the meantime, it's midnight and I'm buggered. Good night, Balmora.

Next morning I do some more Alchemy.

Everything I don't need, including my quest rewards, is sold to Ajira for a sizable profit.

I even cross her palm with gold for a spot of training.

Then I check in with Guildmaster Athrys to find out if I've earned my promotion yet.

Turns out yesterday and last night's odd jobs racked up quite a bit of favour with the guild. :effortless:

Bjorca: So, do you have an jobs for a newly-minted Apprentice-Journeyman-Evoker?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Who's this Telvanni fellow and where do I find him?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: How much does she owe?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: :sbahj:

Note to self: Pay your loving guild dues or the guild will end your poo poo.

Outside Balmora, I decide to explore a bit and meander northward along the riverbank.

Pick a few flowers, kill a few critters and what's this?

Do you goons REALLY want me to go in there?

I had no idea scribs could paralyze you. I do now.

I AM GOING TO CUT YOU some loving time this era would be nice :orks101:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make scrib jelly. Tune in next time for Cooking with Bjorca!

After scooping up the jelly, I had a short yarn with these two out on smoko. They work in the egg mine just behind that hillock.

The choice is yours, goons. What shall we do first?

• Find Llarar Bereloth and convince him to join the guild
  • Recover Manwe's guild dues
  • Enter the Tomb of Nope
  • Check out the egg mine
  • Go look for that ebony sword in Vivec Seyzer Koze mentioned

To be continued...

Phew, that was a long chapter! 61 images in total. I also had to spend some time relabelling them after a file name cock-up and Rightload was acting funny on top of that.

I should also mention I found a better way of reconfiguring the controls for Morrowind. (A definite advantage of PC gaming over console: controls that suit you :D ) I'm using the keyboard numberpad for immediate-use controls like movement, walk/run, use, activate, etc. I also changed the ready weapon/magic buttons to my mousewheel, so getting out my spell or sword (or changing between them) is as easy as flicking the wheel up or down. It's definitely an improvement over the standard controls, which are (to quote Zero Punctuation) about as smooth and intuitive as shifting from fifth to reverse in a car with a missing gear lever.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 28, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antistar01 posted:

It's not hugely important, but Galbedir's a Bosmer, not an Altmer.

She seems awful snooty and annoying (and golden-skinned) for a Bosmer. Aren't they normally browner than that?

Four votes to do recruitment then dues, two votes for egg mine, one vote for tomb. Voting will be open for another few hours.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The polls are now CLOSED. The votes are in: we're off to see the Telvanni, then collect some long-overdue dues.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
TELVANNI FOREVER :science:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter V: Ruins and Ash

Backtracking onto the road to Balmora and heading north. I must look a strange sight, an Orc wearing a jewelled purple robe.

Once I reach Fort Moonmoth, I head left this time.

Proceeding northward up Foyada Mamaca.

My swordsmanship is improving, at least.

Cliff racers may be a pest and a half, but they go down easily as long as you have a good arsenal of Destruction spells. This shot kind of looks like I'm trying to kung fu it out of the sky, though. :lol:

Just beyond the fort, I find a path up the side of the foyada that takes me to the Dwemer bridge leading into Molag Amur.

You're gone, mate.

I love fireball spells. It's like having your own stock of rocket grenades.

I strip the wannabe spellslinger of whatever he's carrying and loot the chests and keg on the side of the bridge.

SWEET

Molag Amur. It's like the Deadlands, only warmer and infested with cliff racers.

GEE I WONDER WHAT THIS DOES

Cool blast shield.

Unfortunately the shield closes behind me and there's no crank on the other side. Great.

Fortunately, I discover that simply using the main door from the inside puts you outside the blast shield.

Since it's dark out, I decide to take the torches from this crate and settle down for the night, maybe have a look around.

Unfortunately, I got up to have a piss and blundered into a couple of humans who didn't take kindly to my presence.

The stuff I looted from them put me over my weight limit, so I figured I may as well head back, recharge and sell what I got.

Coming back over the bridge, I discover to my embarrassment that I should have taken the Caldera turn-off instead of the foyada. Derp.

It's well past midnight by the time I bed down in the guildhall.

Next morning I sell my ill-gotten gains and score some iron boots to replace the chitin.

You know what? Forget Malacath. I'm sold on the Tribunal.

Reading a few of the books around the temple gives me this interesting sidequest I might look into later on.

OH YES

That one too please.

SCORE

I tried out the Mark spell in town.

Got it on the second try.

One feature I like about Morrowind is the ability to remove spells from your spell list you no longer need.

Refreshed, recharged and rearmed, I head back out, this time using the right road.

The moment I cross the bridge into Molag Amur, I get a faceful of ash storm.

Then a rat tries to eat me.

Something to look into later, perhaps.

I stagger on through the choking ash clouds, getting dive-bombed by cliff racers and snapped at by scribs.

Actual lava. Welcome to the Ashlands, bitches.

The constant attacks by cliff racers eventually get too much for me to withstand. ALMSIVI INTERVENTION ACTIVATE

I took a nap in the temple and was rudely awakened by a knife-wielding maniac.

A pitched battle occurs, me and a summoned ghost versus the intruder, with the Dunmer priest looking on dispassionately from the sidelines.

Aw, poo poo. OK, who called the Night Mother?

I burst out of the temple and comb the streets looking for a guard. Typical Morrowind law enforcement: break one single law and they're onto you, but when you actually need help they're nowhere to be found.

Bjorca: Help! Guard! I've been attacked!
Hlaalu Guard: *keeps walking*
Bjorca: Hey, over here, drat you!

Bjorca: What do you know about the Dark Brotherhood?

Hlaalu Guard:

Bjorca: Where do I find this Apelles Marius?

Hlaalu Guard:

After a long trek back into the Ashlands...

I've found where the debtor is hiding. Now where's the Telvanni dude?

It's very, very easy to get lost out here.

Here he is!

Bjorca: I bet your mother regrets not slapping some manners into you when you were growing up.

Bjorca: Are you as breakable as most elves or shall I soften you up with a warhammer first?

I find Llarar Bereloth on the upper level, and he's as unpleasant as the rest of his companions. Still, I have a job to do.

Bjorca: I'm here on behalf of the Balmora Mage's Guild. We'd like to invite you to join our organization...

Llarar Bereloth: No. Go find someone else to pay your guildmaster dues.

Bjorca: I bet you couldn't cast your way out of a cloth sack anyway.

Llarar Bereloth: You are pathetic.

Bjorca: JOIN US OR DIE.

Llarar Bereloth: Get lost.

Bjorca: Er... I mean... surely a strong, handsome Telvanni wizard like yourself would like to join forces with a well-connected organization?

Llarar Bereloth: Get lost. Now.

Bjorca: I'll sleep with you.

Llarar Bereloth: NO.

Bjorca: Oh well. I tried.

All that bribing, threatening and cajoling has made me tired, so I take a rest AND FINALLY LEVEL UP!

I assign the points to strength (for more carry weight), intelligence (i can haz moar magicka plox?) and willpower.

Since he wouldn't play ball, orders are that Bereloth has to die.

And die he does.

Next chapter: collecting debts from a recalcitrant mage.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

I only just realised that your sword is infact a Claymore not a long sword. Very Orcy.

Using it builds the Long Blade skill, though.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

Totally modded my Skyrim so fast travel was disabled and added in a bunch more carts and boats to fast travel around the map. It's amazing how big the provinces are once you remove your ability to teleport around.

When I play Skyrim, I try to keep fast travel to a minimum and go on foot or by horse or (werewolf) beast form. It's fun to just canter along on horseback and watch the scenery go by.

Morrowind is the same; I only used teleport spells to get out of danger. As old as the game is, the environment is still pretty cool.

e: plus there's the Athletics and Acrobatics skills to consider

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter VI: Anti-Competitive Behaviour

Emerging from Sulipund, I take down yet another cliff racer with my Magic Sword Of Killing Things. :orks101:

Braving the harsh ash storm and the possibility of more cliff racers, I run as fast as my Athletics skill can carry me to Punabi.

:getin:

Manwe is just down there.

ooh pretty

You owe the guild 2000 septims in unpaid dues. Time to pony up, elf.

I tried to kill this oval office dozens of times. DOZENS. Eventually I gave up and bribed her into giving me the money. (Bribing someone... with money... so they will give you more money? Someone didn't think this quest through enough... :psyduck: )

In the end, she hands over the dues and I take the Intervention Express back to Balmora.

Something I forgot to do before I left: sell the assassin armour. :20bux:

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I'm afraid Mage Bereloth had plans to continue his studies... in Oblivion.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: All two grand of them. Am I ready for a promotion now?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Surely I've earned another one.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I'm sure I can spare another 200 septims.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Great! Do you have any more side quests to help me climb the promotion ladder?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Unsanctioned training?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I'll shut him down and shut him up for you.

There's only one Argonian in the South Wall Cornerclub, the same I recognized from when I first arrived in Balmora.

Bjorca: I hear you've been offering training to folks outside the auspices of the Mages' Guild. I've been sent here to stop you.
Only-He-Stands-There: The Mages' Guild training courses are way overpriced! It's insanity! Most people in Balmora can't afford them, so I've stepped in to provide a cheaper alternative. Supply and demand, Orc; a concept you should research.

Only-He-Stands-There won't be swayed by mere persuasion, so I bribe the crap out of him.

Only-He-Stands-There: What if, hypothetically, you were to return to Ranis Athrys and tell her I agreed to stop any unsanctioned training... and suppose that if you did that, I decided to offer training to my good friend Bjorca?
Bjorca: Nice try, lizard. But the answer's no. You either train people as a Guild trainer, or you don't teach magic at all.
Only-He-Stands-There: *hiss* Very well. I will stop offering training. Tell your beloved guildmaster I won't stand in her way.
Bjorca: See that you do.

Bjorca: The Argonian is out of business. Anything else need doing?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Tell me more about this scholar of yours.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I... see. All right then.

I ask him about his research, but he politely declines to share. That's OK. I'll be handing those notes over to Ranis soon enough.

I lead the scholar out into the evening air and towards the city gates...

...along the darkened roadway towards his intended destination...

...then blast-chill him to death with a frost spell.

cha-ching

Bjorca: Got 'em right here. What's next?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: A necromancer?

Ranis Athrys:

Right, got that...

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: :black101:

I don't actually know where Maar Gan is and the Balmora siltstrider doesn't go there, so I just pick a direction and start hiking. If nothing else, I'll get better acquainted with the land as I go.

A few in-game hours and tussles with the wildlife later, I arrive in Caldera.

I ask the locals for directions, but none of them can help me, either. I do, however, want some of that ebony.

oh god look at that face

let's go burgle a mine and get rich :getin:

Should I help him, kill him, or just leave him there? Either way, next chapter WILL feature an ebony heist.

Stay tuned, goons.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 4, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fishy? She's a goddamn shark! I kinda figured the whole guild was like that, though.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Unload My Head posted:

He doesn't want to work, he just wants to bang on his drum all day.

Re: Maar Gan, it is north of Ald'ruhn, which is north of Caldera. You can hoof it north and follow the signs, or take the Mage guide from Caldera to Ald'ruhn and then a stilt strider to Maar Gan.

Cheers :D

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I had an update, but the game crashed on me before I could save and now I have to redo it. :( Sorry for the delay.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally, an update! This chapter involved a hardware experiment: seeing if I could play Morrowind with a USB dual-analog gamepad. The Options menu has an option to 'Enable Joystick', but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the game wasn't designed with analog input in mind, since the gamepad controls were a massive pain in the arse to configure. Even when I did get them properly configured, some of the inputs got confused, eg. whenever I pressed the crouch button in order to sneak, Bjorca would crouch and draw her sword at the same time. It sounds like just another Elder Scrolls bug, but I honestly think it's just a hardware compatibility artefact. Apart from that, though, it was actually quite fun and made playing the game more efficient to a certain extent.

Chapter VII: When Opportunity Knocks

Bjorca: You say a witch did this to you?

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: COUNT ME IN :orks101:

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: Let's go, then.

I now have a temporary follower. Hlormar tails me along the winding road as we search for the dastardly witch.

Maar Gan's thataway.

It's not long before we encounter an innocent-looking Imperial woman just standing around, as some strangers in Morrowind are wont to do.

Sosia Caristiana:

IT'S HER

Bjorca: Hlormar tells me you left him in a bit of a pickle. Care to explain yourself?

Sosia Caristiana:

Bjorca: He's a Nord, Sosia. Nord men are like dark elf women, they'll rut anything that moves.

Hlormar Wine-Sot: Hey!

Bjorca: They're also like some Orcish men in that it's damned near impossible to teach them anything about manners. You've had your fun, now will you kindly give him his weapon back so I can go about my business?

Sosia Caristiana:

Bjorca: I'll tell him, but I should warn you that this may not end well for you. (To Hlormar) She wants you to meet her at the Caldera Mage's Guild in three days, and no sooner. Your belongings will be returned to you then.

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: I don't believe a word she says.

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: TRIBUNAL GUIDE ME :orks101:

Sosia breaks out a magic staff and takes a good few swings, but Hlormar's fists take away her stamina and I charge up my only frost spell.

Cause of death: magically induced hypothermia.

Bjorca: Here's your axe.

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: You're welcome. Try not to get handsy with any more witches, OK? Bye, Hlormar.

On my way back to Caldera, I practice my swordsmanship on some rats.

I really should take a look inside some of these mines when I get some time.

I call into the local guild hall to see if they have any useful spells for sale.

Turns out they do!

I do a bit of plant-smushing and sell the results before heading back out.

I vaguely remember reading something about the Propylon Indices: something about a disused teleportation system installed around Vvardenfell. In any case, it looks like it could be useful, so I take it off Irgola's hands.

My shopping's done. Time for a heist. :getin:

The Caldera Mining Company is located just outside Caldera, the office, bunkhouse and slave barracks complex sitting directly atop the underground ebony mine.

I'm going to steal a few things from here first.

STEAL ALL THE THINGS

YES ALL THE THINGS

One poke of the lockpick is all it takes.

Sounds like the company mages need an occupational health and safety training seminar. Now that I think about it, I can't for the life of me see any Material Safety Data Sheets anywhere, either. If it weren't for the fact that they use slave labour, this mine would be a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Out past the slave huts and the rather odd-looking minecart track to nowhere is the mine proper. Crunch time. :ninja:

There are guards and overseers posted everywhere. I need to be careful and not act suspicious in any way.

One of the myriad items I swiped from the bunkhouse was the master key for the slave bracers. :ocelot:

Thanks for the advice, bud. I'll try not to loving get caught. :sterv:

My first target is an ebony deposit right around the corner from the overseer. Time to :ninja:

While the overseer is busy doing... whatever it is Dunmer do when they're not driving the slaves and watching out for thieves, I carefully extract the precious ore and pack it in my Bag Of Holding.

:master:

He sees nothing. He suspects nothing. :sterv:

This the part when the 'crouch/draw sword' thing started to happen. It didn't affect my stealth rating one bit, though.

Unfortunately ebony is heavy and my pilfering soon left me overencumbered. I had to put some of it back. Still, six pieces of ebony valued at 200 septims each ain't too fuckin' bad.

Safely back in Caldera, I trade in the pilfered ebony-

Bjorca: ARE YOU making GBS threads ME THAT STUFF IS WORTH 1200 SEPTIMS TOTAL :stonk:

Verick Gemain: Not with a Mercantile skill like yours, it isn't. Look, I'll make it an extra five septims, but that's it. Take it or leave it, Orc.

Bjorca: You're lucky there's an Imperial Guard standing behind me, otherwise I would make a very messy and bloody example of you. Fine, I'll take the deal.

I'm compensated for my disgustingly low purchasing power with the chance to snap up two very useful items.

I cast Mark inside the guild hall's tower, so if I get into any trouble or simply need to get back from a long way away, I can Recall myself back to a safe area without having to trek all the way over from Balmora.

My new robes look wonderfully shimmery.

This charming fellow provides training in Sneak.

I pay him to train me right through the night. By the time we're done, it's 6am and I'm ready to go steal some more ore.

The Ring of Aversion turns out to be a sound investment. No-one knows I'm there.

A few minutes and a Recall later, I'm back in Caldera with 10 pieces of ebony, thanks to all the stuff I sold earlier freeing up more carrying capacity.

Third time's a charm!

Now things are getting more difficult. There's a Hlaalu guard and a slave overseer watching this section. I don't know if I can pull this off without getting flattened by the guard.

The last slave is freed. Neither the guard or the overseer notice.

I grab the ebony, but then the Hlaalu guard catches me and I'm forced to Recall to stay alive. That arsehole hits like a speeding train.

I made it back, but I'm overburdened again.

I stash some of the ebony in a basket and head out to trade.

Five freaking guards in the square alone. Did the mine alert them?

Well, crap. I'm not giving up the ebony without a fight, so I need to get creative, fast.

I stash the rest of the ebony in a crate at the guildhall, then turn myself in.

Oh well. You do the crime, you do the time...

...then go back and pick up your hidden cache of loot. :smug:

Verick probably knows I'm stealing the ore, but I guess as long as I'm not wanted for it, no1curr.

That amulet would be a great addition to my slowly-growing collection of highly useful magic wearables.

You know what, swords are for Imperials. I WANT THAT HAMMER.

My bitchin' new Warhammer of Wounds is armed and ready. :dukedog:

My dirty deeds are done, now I'm off to do... more dirty deeds.

The same route that led me to Sosia the witch can take me to Tashpi Ashibael, the necromancer I'm supposed to kill.

drat IT HLORMAR PUT SOME BLOODY CLOTHES ON

Nords.

Time to take my new toy for a test drive.

It's every bit as devastating as I expected it to be.

What is it with Nords and nudity in this part of Morrowind?

Hisin Deep-Raed:

Bjorca: Let me guess, a witch did this to you?

Hisin Deep-Raed:

Bjorca: I'm afraid I can't help you. I don't have anything that can undo a paralysis spell. Once I get back to my guild hall, though, I can probably find someone who can help you. You'll have to tough it out here until then.

Hisin Deep-Raed:

Bjorca: All right, that's it. You're seriously trying to talk tough to me while you're naked and paralyzed and I'm wielding an enchanted dwarven warhammer? You're officially too stupid to live.

Bjorca: Give my regards to the Imperial gods! *crunch*

Another one bites the dust. For someone who was hexed and robbed, his corpse yielded some good loot.

Trekking onward, I soon find myself entering another part of the Ashlands.

My warhammering isn't good enough to reliably hit flying enemies, so I fire up the ol' Frostbite and freeze-blast the cliff racer out of my airspace.

Night in the Ashlands is dark and full of terrors, which is exactly why I can't stop and camp out. My best bet is to push on to Maar Gan and hope I can get there in one piece.

In the end, I throw caution to the wind and run for it.

Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to outrun a hungry alit. Stop! Hammertime.

'Buying This Hammer Was A Good Idea' Points: 3^:regd08:

The hammer's magical charge isn't infinite, though, so I use the Ring of Aversion to slip past a third alit.

Maybe later.

Finally, I reach Maar Gan, AKA Fugly City. :wooper:

I'll get back to you, Garry.

(If you've never seen the 1990s Yogo advertisements, you won't get that joke.)

There's no guild hall I can crash at, but I did find the target's house.

Bjorca: I'm with the Balmora Mages' Guild. It's been brought to our attention that you've been doing unsavoury things to dead people.

Tashpi Ashibael:

Bjorca: Our guildmaster, Ranis Athrys, issued your death warrant personally.

Tashpi Ashibael:

I searched her house and there's nothing necromancy-related to be found. She's telling the truth.

Bjorca: All right, but you'd better do it quickly.

Tashpi Ashibael:

My work in Maar Gan complete, I Recall to Caldera.

The Caldera teleport specialist sends me the rest of the way to Balmora. I rematerialize on a platform in the alchemy lab and report in to Ranis.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I fried that bitch like an ash yam in slaughterfish oil. She won't be bothering the dead anymore.

Ranis Athrys:

Ranis gives me some combat scrolls, which I sell back to the guild for a tidy sum.

What's next for Bjorca? You decide:

• Take another quest from Ranis
  • Get more quests from another guild hall
  • Explore some of the dungeons encountered earlier
  • Tomb of Nope
  • Talk to the Imperial in Ebonheart about the DB
  • Help the pilgrim in the Ashlands

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Unload My Head posted:

How vanilla is this game, Llama? Are you running the official plugin set? If so, there is someone in the Caldera guild you should talk to about that Index.

More vanilla than a couple who have sex once a month in the missionary position while thinking of England. I didn't get the plugins. I thought about it, but ultimately didn't bother.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, move to Ald'ruhn and start working for the guild there, the first couple quests are really easy and the reward is very much worth it.
Oh, funny thing about that raw ebony you were pawning off for a laughable price; one thing that affects the costs is the trader's disposition towards you. Basically you could've unloaded it all at Ajira for more money and less walking.
She's got restocking potions, about 800 gold and she'll even buy skooma; combine that with being located right at a teleporter and you get one of the most useful merchants in the game.

GODDAMN IT

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

By god, you do know how to play Morrowind. I'm sorry I ever doubted you. :allears:

Not sure if sarcastic... :smugjones:

Gridlocked posted:

To start, it's great to see you back Llama.

Thats what he has been doing this entire time: :ninja:Sneaky practice on the side.:ninja: Either way it's worked out great and this is now becoming super excellent! That being said an Orc who worships the Tribunal? Heresy!

Also Moving to Ald'ruhn and working for the guild there is a great choice as already outlined. Totally worth the cash and I for one have a hardon for all things Redoran. I know we discussed joining up with the Telvanni too, but you should totally consider throwing your lot in with Redoran. They are the house most accepting of outsiders, Telvanni are all "Secrets of magic" this and "Klingon Promotions" that while Hlaalu are fine with outsiders as long as they are spies; which Bjorca is quite obviously not.

The Tribunal have done far more for Bjorca than any Divine or Daedric Prince ever has.

One thing at a time! We've barely scratched the main questline and the Mage's Guild isn't done with her yet.

I'm a Telvanni fan because Neloth. Neloth's just that cool, especially in Dragonborn. He's a honey badger; eh grows his own mansion and doesn't afraid of anything. :D

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 21, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I assure you I'm being sincere. You had me from the moment you picked up that fuckoff hammer.

That's my general Elder Scrolls experience taking over. If you're lucky enough to lay your hands on a dwarven warhammer with a good enchantment at lower levels (or in the case of Skyrim, grind your Smithing skill and make one), it will pretty much carry you through the early game.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

Make new character -> silt strider -> balmora -> sword of white woe.

And lose the big fuckoff hammer I just bought?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We've discussed Houses Redoran and Telvanni, but what's the skinny on House Hlaalu? Is it worth the effort?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter VIII: Hither And Thither

Down in the basement of the Balmora guildhall, I bid my guildmates adieu.

One horribly disorienting magical disassembly and reassembly later, I'm in the lavishly decorated underground Ald'ruhn guild hall.

Bjorca: Hello, I'm Bjorca, Conjurer. Do you have any duties I can perform?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Is that a history book?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Sure, I'll try. Someone's bound to have a copy somewhere.

Edwinna Elbert:

My first port of call is the Ald'ruhn bookseller. He doesn't have a copy of Chronicles of Nchuleft, but he does know where I can find one.

One quick pit stop at the temple...

... then another teleport, this time to Vivec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrb8TlAaiw

It definitely wouldn't hurt to pick up a few good spells while I'm here. A good sorcerer is always expanding their repertoire.

I exit the guildhall to find myself inside the upper most level of one of Vivec's gigantic cantons.

It takes me ages to find my way around the bloody thing, even with some help from the locals.

Pretty, but I'm not here to gawk at the waterworks.

Eventually, I find a bookseller.

*sigh*

Waistworks? What a weird name for a section of town.

Fortunately, I manage to find Jobasha's without too much trouble.

Bjorca: I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell it to me?

Yep.

I stop in at the smithy for some maintenance and supplies.

One to beam back.

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: I find people are willing to pay me more when I'm prompt. Hint, hint.

Edwinna Elbert: Oh, yes, of course. Have some scrolls.

Bjorca: What else needs doing?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: You want me to go see what's taking him so long?

Edwinna Elbert:

Sadrith Mora, and don't spare the phase transition coils.

The spell vendors at Sadrith Mora aren't slouches, either.

Bjorca: Sure, I'll keep you in mind when I'm done being the guildmaster's errand girl.

Oooh, sneaky sneaky.

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Is that another Dwemer book?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: I hope this isn't going to involve anything underhanded...

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Almsivi save us. This guild is loving crooked.

A short time later, in Vivec...

Bjorca: Don't worry about it. I wouldn't trust me either.

I find Sirilonwe's stuff in the nearby closet and use my brand new alteration spell to bypass the sturdy lock.

Oh. That's what that key was for.

I suppose while I'm here...

Both the target book and the one I grabbed along with it are skill books, which is the sole highlight of this fetch quest.

Back in Ald'ruhn, I test out my new security bypass spell against Edwinna's booby-trapped doors.

That'll teach her to make me steal for her.

Bjorca: What else have you got?

From what I've seen of this bloody guild, that disturbance can't be anything good.

No rapid transit this time, I'm going to hoof it to Maar Gan so I can loot and pillage along the way. I'm a little short on gold.

I'm hoping for something a bit more substantial than cliff racers, but I'll take what I can get.

This is more like it.

TASTE MY DWARVEN WEAPON I tried to make that sound vaguely sexual

drat this bitch is tough :orks101:

This appears to be your bog-standard dungeon-type area in Morrowind, like Addamasartus.

Another Dunmer and her pet nix hound show up just in time for a barbeque.

Up past their charred remains and to the left is a rudimentary storeroom filled with crates and barrels, to which I help myself.

BEST BELT EVER

I Recall to Caldera to offload my loot.

Some alchemy and haggling later...

FINALLY I HAVE A COMPLETE MATCHING SET OF ARMOUR :woot:

Looks like it'll need a bit more than just the old spit and polish.

Back in Ald'ruhn, I transfer the Mark to this guildhall so I can Recall here instead of Caldera.

Having taken care of the busywork, I hike back out to the cavern and do some more looting.

Pfah. It barely stings. The risk of tetanus, on the other hand...

My biggest problem right now is that the hammer keeps running out of charges and I want to save up my soul gems for enchanting.

Across the bridge is a big room with another bridge.

I try out the scamp-summoning belt. It's scarily effective; that scamp packs a nasty wallop for such a little guy.

My waist-high bodyguard goes chasing after another cavern-dweller while I clean up the loot.

*innocently whistling while emptying chests and patting down corpses*

This chest took quite a bit of picking to get it open. I could have used my unlocking spell, but sometimes a high Lockpicking skill can come in handy.

You want to play sorcerer? LET'S GO ARSEHOLE :orks101:

I summon the Scamp Brotherhood and his fate is sealed.

Having cleaned out the cavern, I resume my journey to Maar Gan when suddenly I'm ambushed by alits and my hammer's out of juice again and HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE BEST loving BELT EVER

It's daybreak by the time I get the town wall of Maar Gan. Huleen's hut is around the right-hand side from the front gate going in, past the siltstrider.

I thought it was her butler at first, but then I saw the trashed furniture. Only one way to sort this out!

SCAMP FIGHT

Scamp on the right: Sup, bitches.

Huleen's not in, but I find her naked apprentice cowering downstairs.

Apprentice:

Bjorca: What did you do?

Apprentice:

Bjorca: You seriously can't control a scamp? I have no trouble making mine do stuff. You need to be firm with them, son.

Apprentice:

Bjorca: It's probably for the best. You take care now.

Back in Ald'ruhn...

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Huleen's apprentice is as useless as tits on a cliff racer. He summoned a scamp and it made him its bitch.

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Cool, thanks. Any more tasks for me?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: And?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Marobar Sul isn't a scholar, you idiot, he's a pulp fiction writer. What did you expect, a compendium of dwarven knowledge?

Edwinna Elbert: *glares*

Bjorca: *sigh* I'd better put this back before I get caught.

I hope this teleportation thing doesn't have any long-term side effects...

If Sirilonwe noticed, she didn't say anything.

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: An arcane archaeological expedition? Where?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: I have no idea where to get one of those, but I assume you're going to tell me?

Edwinna Elbert:

Bjorca: Sweet! Where is this Arking-lunch Sturdumping-thing?

Edwinna Elbert:

I'm pumped about going on my first actual Dwemer expedition, but there's something I have to take care of first...

I assign points to Speed to help me zip around where rapid transit can't take me, Personality to save money on bribes and Luck to help not miss when I swing.

I step out into the sunlight and get directions to Ald Velothi.

It's pretty far, but fortunately it's close to Gnisis, which is serviced by the Ald'ruhn siltstrider.

The locals in Gnisis are much nicer and helpful than in certain parts, or it could be my increased Personality stat that makes them like me.

I stopped in at the temple to pay my respects and found something interesting.

After selling my loot and checking the map, I head north, following the signs.

OH SWEET LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN MY INVENTORY

Just outside Ald Velothi, I am accosted by a lovely Breton lady who lost her ring. I figure there's got to be something in it for me.

I spent ages in that pool looking. The ring is aggravatingly small and hidden behind a plant, which means if you don't have Night-Eye, you're not going to get much help in this quest.

The Breton and her Chameleoned friend repay my kindness by trying their very hardest to kill me. Even the Scamp Brotherhood are overwhelmed.

She's armed with fast-acting poison and the elf is a master archer.

Fortunately I happen to be literally wearing a whole armoury of magic tricks: a rapid-healing robe, an invisibility ring, a belt to summon a waist-high daedric bodyguard...

...and a warhammer with amplified damage.

Hey, nice amulet.

While I drew the elf away and caved her skull in, the human tried vainly to fend off the constantly respawning daedra.

Now I know how she did so much damage.

In the end I give in and sacrifice one of my gems for a weapon that reliably does as advertised.

Just up the hill is a Dwemer bridge leading to the ruin.

There it is - Arkngthunch-Sturdumz. Tune in next time, goons, when Bjorca braves the dangers of the lost Deep Folk for riches and the approval of her guildmaster!

(edit to fix a few things)

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 28, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bretons and Imperials tend to be rather similar in Morrowind and Oblivion. The differences are much more apparent in Skyrim.

I admit I haven't done much exploring because I want to finish all these quests Edwinna's sending me on so I can advance further in the guild. I am glad you goons sent me to Ald'ruhn, though, because I'm as fascinated with the Dwemer as Edwinna is.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Asura United posted:

The Dwemer are awesome. They've been a great mystery across all the Elder Scrolls games, and their artefacts and ruins are really interesting. Their armor, weapons, and robots are all cool too!

For more Dwemer-related quests, make sure to talk to the Arch-Mage Trebonius Artorius in the Vivec guild! :pseudo:

Too bad they're extinct (though that is hotly debated both in-universe and by fans).

Edit to add: There will be no more updates until the new year, sorry. I'm spending time with family and won't have any time for Morrowind.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 9, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

I'm so tempted to drop a huge spoiler here. Basically, it's a good idea to not debate this topic until you've beaten Morrowind.

I meant after the Red Year, you clown. Lore implies the Last Dwarf perished along with everyone else when Vvardenfell was flattened. His death effectively meant the extinction of the Dwemer (on Nirn, at least).

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Red what? I blocked out the rampant stupidity of Oblivion and Skyrim's "worldbuilding". Are you seriously telling me people are debating to what happened to a single character as opposed to metaphysical fuckery involved with the first event?
edit: Well, i guess that's how Bethesda's target audience is.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Red_Year

Pretty much EVERYTHING Dwemer-related is considered up for debate, from 'whether Kagrenac really accidentally wiped out his own people' to 'did Septimus Signus really see Dwemer in his interdimensional travels' to 'is there any Aetherium left on Nirn after the Dragonborn uses the Forge at Bthalft' to 'did Yagrum Bagarn die during the Red Year or is he still alive in the ruins of Tel Fyr' and it doesn't help that Michael Kirkbride is 'filthy with it' (his exact words) and refuses to discuss it any further.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Happy 2015, goons. While our hoverboard kits are on backorder, Let's Play some more Morrowind!

Chapter IX: The Hazards Of Ancient Machinery

Here goes...

I checked my stats to see what was eating away at my personality. Oh well, nothing but machinery down here, it won't matter.

It's so dark down here. So. Dark.

I can't tell if that's a robot or an actual spider. 0_o

A bit better-lit, but now kind of spooky.

drat it, my hammer's out again. Oh well. *bludgeons Dwemer automaton into scrap*

Now that's treasure!

Eureka!

YEAH

I need some Conjuration practice, so the next automaton to come crawling out of the gloom is set upon by an Ancestor Guardian.

Dwemer machinery in Morrowind looks very different to the Skyrim variety. But then again, so do the weapons and armour.

Back at the Ald'ruhn guildhall, I pick up a very useful combat spell.

Having sold off my loot, I return to the ruins. Is it just me, or does that look like a massively overbuilt hot rod engine?

By the time I'm done, though, I'm out of magicka and thus I have to return to Ald'ruhn on foot.

I don't think I came this way before...

Another seaside shanty town. Eventually I find my way onto the main road and return safely to the guild.

Edwinna:

Bjorca: Here's your tube. Man, those ruins were awesome!

Edwinna:

Bjorca: So, what's next? Edwinna? Edwinna!

Edwinna:

Bjorca: Yes, I want more duties. I can't promote myself, you know. Got anything that needs doing?

Edwinna:

Bjorca: Another Dwemer ruin, huh? Where do I find it?

Edwinna:

Bjorca: Is this a really important report, or did someone just not check in?

Edwinna:

Bjorca: I will. See you when I get back.

Hoo boy. This is going to be a loooong hike, even without any distractions along the way.

As long as I just keep going south-east, I shouldn't get too far off course.

Obviously there's money in this, but there's also money in her corpse. What say you?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

There is a comely khajiit you should be loving.

I'm going to stop you right there because I'm not a goddamn furry.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

Nice to see you back Llama

You can't keep a good LPer down. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

But you're Lizard Wizard not Laser Llama

Yeah, the llama thing is supposed to be MY schtick. I will cut you, man.

• Locked thread