Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Thank Christ for a good Grimm episode. It's been a while.
The actor doing Josh, as well as the character seemed much more on the ball this time. I really liked the interplay between him and Trubel in Nick's house. His fear was a unrealistic, Buffy-type of fear. Very "Oh, I'm so afraid right now, but still funny".Still, at least he was emoting all over the place instead of being so bland. I don't really mind him starting out as a Shaggie-type character who turns Grimm somewhere down the road.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Let's hope they're only putting Trubel out until whatever contract they have with the Adalind lady runs out and they can shift those resources over to Trubel.

Still, gently caress you show.

edit: Josh seemed very weird when coming out of the shower. Suddenly super happy and even eager to become a Grimm? After hitting one guy with a rock? Suspicious. We've been shown at least 3 ways of shape-shifting during this show and now they're giving away the location of the trailer to some newbie?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought they did a pretty good job juggling so many plot lines in a way that kept the excitement and tension up. A pretty good season finale considering what a mess the season was.
Juliette turning into a hexenbeast seems kind of contrived and easily cured with a little Grimm blood, hopefully just another 2 episode throwaway sideplot they thrown in to up the chaos at the end of the season (like the zombie thing).

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Some Numbers posted:

You know that was the midseason finale, right? We're getting more episodes starting in January.

I admit it, I forgot. It felt like a season finale though, which is a good thing in my book.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Robot Hobo posted:

When Wu finally realizes just how much of his life and mental health are completely hosed up entirely due to Nick and Hank, most of which was by choice, he's going to loving murder them. Even a sane person would probably want Nick and Hank to pay for all of that, and Wu hasn't been one of those for a while now.

Wu is an incredibly likable character, but I'd love to see him become an honest to god villain if it was handled well. It would be cool if he rationally made a big stink, perhaps getting the feds and their weird connections involved, and also perhaps realizing Renaurd is keeping a lid on things. He could go vigilante on Nick and Griffin.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 16, 2014

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

pasaluki posted:

The ramifications would have been horrible. Nick doesn't even know Juliet is a hexenbiest. Monroe (whose been tortured) and Nick (who hasn't slept since Monroe's been kidnapped) rushing home to reunite with Rosalee and going into that house would be some insane TV.

Almost feel like one of the writers going "see, this is what I'd do if I were allowed to make some actual changes to this show". It would have been pretty awesome. Monroe and Nick would suddenly have this huge split between them (Juliette). Perhaps Nick would have started grimming it up old-school style, with a crazed Wu as his main sidekick as Hank cannot hack it and tries bringing in the feds or whatnot. Oh well, I guess we'll continue with mostly status quo. I did enjoy the hell out of this episode though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 19, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Don't get me wrong, I love those characters too. That's the reason her death would matter. The dream sequence would not have worked without that impact. I liked that they did not pull any punches with it, but having a loved character actually die in a manner with so many irrevocable implications would have been even more ballsy. I am happy to have the show continue to be procedural meets Buffy, but it does feel like a lost opportunity to take the show in a different direction.

EDIT: Perhaps it would kill the viewership, but what first made me take the show seriously and what keeps me from giving up on it are the grimdark and gory stuff that does pop up once in a while. If it was all princes, furries and fairytales all the time I don't think it would have managed to set itself apart from similar shows. I like that Nick befriends icebeavers and whatnot, but that is not nearly as interesting and endearing without wesen society being a dark and hosed up place. I think all this messing about with posh British sounding royals and annoying blonde witches have kind of defanged the series a bit, so staked corpses and trachea ripping is a pleasant return to form.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

johntfs posted:

The only humans in Portland are the cast of Portlandia.

There's no way any of those people are human.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
This was such a horrible episode. We had two great episodes and the show was building up some steam... What happened?
That green-screen sequence with Rosalee and Monroe was atrocious, the ghost-hunters cliche has been done to death by similar shows, and the MOTW is boring.

Why is Juliette not approaching Nick? Why would she approach Renard in secret after the whole "cheating" debacle thing? It makes little sense for her to suddenly be so cold towards Nick when they were killing people together just one episode ago, and had a big speech about not keeping secrets from each other a couple of episodes before that. I get that Renard has an in with Hexenbiests, but so does Nick, and it would make more sense to have a Grimm backing you up if you're going to start slinging accusations towards Renards mother. It's also shows horrible boundaries and it is a terrible move relationship-wise to be going behind Nicks back with this guy after the history they've had. I'd try to rationalize it as more "crazy wesen magic making Juliette behave crazy", but they don't seem to be playing that angle, and I've lost all faith that the writers care to explain away their horrible writing anyway.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 2, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Oasx posted:

It don't think it is lazy writing at all, it is a pretty natural reaction she is having, she would rather try to remove it before Nick learns about it than to see his reaction.

It's only somewhat lazy as a concept, but it becomes super-lazy when they've already done it to this character twice in the show already. The series has been drilling the lesson of "secrets between the good guys is bad" since the start, so it's incredibly groan-worthy for us viewers, and not in a good way.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Good episode. Lots of plot holes, but at least it's entertaining. Juliette is bad rear end as a hexenbiest, but the "not telling Nick" thing continues to make absolutely no sense and is lazy writing. If we're really expected to chalk that up to Juliette's personality and not the writers being incompetent then I hope Nick and her never gets married as she needs lots of therapy and counseling on communication skills. Still no explanation for why nobody says "just use a bit of grimm blood". They even introduced a character with deep knowledge of Hexenbiests and who is aware that Juliette is in a relationship with a Grimm who loves her, but at no point does she bring up the easy fix either. They better introduce some kind of "plot to keep Juliette a hexenbiest" thing involving this character to explain that, but I'm sure the writers will just forget about it. Also did not buy the "not enough evidence" thing in regards to the bounty hunter, but at least there I can believe that all the characters have a vested interest in just killing off these type of interlopers rather than use the system. All in all the episode was messy as usual, but 10x better than the last one. Adalind is tolerable in a simple "villain" role, let us hope they can resist the temptation to give her any more characterization than that until she croaks.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

johntfs posted:

There is no easy fix. There is no "fix" at all. It wouldn't matter if Juliette drank an entire swimming pool full of Grimm blood, it wouldn't turn her back human. That's what Henrietta was saying. Like Nick and Hank told We earlier, this is Juliette's new normal.

As for as the evidence, they kind of have too much of the wrong kind. If it was just the photos, it might work. However, they have a witness who is going to say "Yep, he killed the guy by turning into a big giant scorpion monster and stinging him with the huge stinger tail he also grow out of his rear end." There's no murder weapon because the guy grows his own weapon. Even if they somehow found a jury to convict him, there's no prison that can credibly hold him.

She never said anything of the sort. If she'd gone "Nicks blood cannot drive out the infection as created hexenbiests of power are resistant" we would have a (albeit lame) nod to the world as established. That the writers did not do that means they're either totally incompetent and forgot about it, or they're underestimating their audience either by purposefully ignoring the entire thing, or by milking this development for the rest of the season only to introduce the easy fix in the finale.

The witness saw him murder someone, is able to identify the person, but with the shock and the darkness in the alley their mind played tricks on them. The witness might very well rationalize their experience like that before testifying. Police looked for the murder weapon (a large poisoned dagger), but were unable to find it as the professional hitman disposed of it. I think he could easily be convicted with all the evidence they had. Whether or not a prison is able to hold him is irrelevant. They complained about the evidence, they never mentioned how they would jail him.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 8, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jedit posted:

Or Henrietta has an ulterior motive.

Biomute posted:

They better introduce some kind of "plot to keep Juliette a hexenbiest" thing involving this character to explain that, but I'm sure the writers will just forget about it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

johntfs posted:

So there's a point in the movie, Bowfinger, where Eddie Murphy's lunatic actor goes into a rant about how a movie script is racist because he counted up all the "k" letters, divided it by 3 and decided that the script said KKK 200+ times.

Sometimes an oblique reference is unintentional.

In my case I was making a reference/pun on Fifty Shades of Grey with the idea of Nick and Juliette using blindfolds for sex so they don't kill the mood with an inadvertent Woge/Grimm reaction of Woge.

I guess I get it. Schade vs. Shade. Still, that really seems like a reach.

Aww man, you disappoint me. You should have taken credit, that was a great pun.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Parts of this episode was alright. I liked the MOTW, although the scene in the clinic where Monroe & Rosalee have to "keep the nurse from leaving" just felt like the worst cliche. I'm sure that situation does come up relatively often, but it's just such a desperate attempt to inject some tension into a scene. Why do all suspects have to leave their place of business/wherever they're being seconds after talking to the plant/being spotted at the stake-out? I dunno, seemed heavy-handed. I don't buy Nick literally being repulsed by the revelation and having to run off leaving his girlfriend all worried. Nor do I buy her being afraid of him killing her, or her sudden rage-out / "kiss me" / "there's no cure, this is permanent" spiel. I'm glad they at least acknowledged the blood of the Grimm cure, and I noticed that even though everyone is using the "permanent" word they still left it open whether or not another Grimm (Trubel) might be able to cure her. I dunno, if we're going to have self-hating emo-Hexenbiest Juliette instead of kick-rear end Hexenbiest Juliette I sure hope they cure her quick.

The pregnancy plot-line is so cheesy and soap opera. The "NOOOOOOO" was horrible. Please just die already. So yeah, not the greatest return. They really need to change the formula up and make this darker or I fear they'll lose their demographic. I dunno why they're suddenly courting the daytime/soap-opera crowd.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

There Bias Two posted:

Like a...Wogepedia, if you will?

Can we call the books grimmoires from now on?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

It's a dreadful show. Luckily, the competition is just as bad and the few crowning moments of awesome they luck into now and again keep the fans coming back for more.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Robot Hobo posted:

Either way, she still fails as just a regular ol' sexually active woman for apparently not considering that her "I'll bone the Grimm" scheme should probably include some form of contraception.

Considering how fricking fertile the lady is I don't understand how she's not saddled with kids already? This has apparently been her modus operadi for some time.

Also, this show is horrible and this is the first episode I could not finish.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I give it another episode or two before the thread title is Worst Show.

EDIT: Ugh. The ratings are good too. They'll probably think they're doing something right.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

4x17 – “Hibernaculum”
Nick and Hank race against the clock to find a Wesen that freezes to death in the cold.

I'm pretty sure most sentient beings do.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

pentyne posted:

It looks like the ratings have taken a major hit in the last few weeks too.

It's gone down, but so has every other show. Last episode tied for first in the slot overall and is now the number one show with women 18-45 which is a shift in demographic.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't even get why they've hit such a low. There's plenty of options to create new creatures that aren't dumb.

Hell, hybrids could be interesting. They made a huge deal about hybrid children a few times, yet nobody has one?

They've not done a Neck (water spirit) episode yet have they? That could be done sexy, scary, or both. Oh wait, I guess those teenage water ladies technically fit the bill. Make a Hulder episode then with a forest equivalent.
Also , Troll cats, Valravn, Draugr. A funny episode about elves. A really creepy one similar to the Aswang could be made with a Mare (of nightmare fame).

thotsky fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 13, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Brocktoon posted:

I think the major problem with the show is that they insist on every episode be a Vesen of the Week, and don't have any that solely move along the over-arching plot, which makes me think they just don't know where the gently caress they're going with anything. The abilities and motivations of the Royals make no sense. In 4 seasons we've see 2 of those keys, and there's, what, TWELVE of them out there? This show will be long cancelled before anything pays off.

The show would be much better if they just stuck to Wesen of the Week. Combining it with plot is not impossible (Buffy), but the writers are clearly struggling, and the more they push it towards "plot only episodes" the worse it gets.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I cannot believe this show has been renewed. The writers have clearly packed it in.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Oh, amusing side note. I decided to see what opinions were in the den of stupidity known was reedit to see what public opinion was outside of SA, only to find nothing but people wanting Juliette to die and more Adalind. I'm not kidding. Are the writers listening to loving reedit or something?

Eh, reddit seems to have mostly the same reaction as everyone here to this half of the season, namely "what the gently caress are the writers doing?". There's been a really vocal camp against Juliette from the beginning as she was sort of a normalizing "human" factor in the early episodes and everyone really wanted to see Nick dive into the wesen world killing and kirk-ing it up as he went along.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Aces High posted:

That's interesting, I remember reading the first season thread (jesus that was three years ago) and most people did not like Nick because people were claiming he was a blackhole of personality. We all just wanted tonnes of Hank and Monroe, although Juliette was annoying simply because she wasn't in on it and then at the end of the season Nick went and did the dumb thing by just explaining stuff to her like a crazy person.

I've always liked Juliette except that amnesia arc but I don't think aaaaaaaaanyone liked that

Maybe it was not about Nick in particular, but I got the distinct feeling that a lot of the hate for Juliette stemmed from her being kind of the party-pooper. She was the sane normal one, and reined things back a little. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really see any other reason to hate on her, especially early on before all kinds of crazy stuff happened to her. It does seem like she has a surge in popularity whenever she's taking an active role in the wesen part of the show instead of being on the sideline or being a source of relationship drama. Like when she went after that dragon. It was the same with her hexenbiest transformation, and if there were any thought behind why they "changed" her I'm guessing it was to give her some sort of agency in the supernatural part of the show. Too bad they hosed that up.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm hoping it's going to be racist.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'll give the next season a try. I just cannot stomach this arc.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Problem is, they can't really kill her off now without pissing off religious people / have another villain kill her and use half a season on Nick getting over the loss of his unborn child. gently caress this show!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
At this point I'd welcome a "it was all a dream twist" where it is revealed that nick finally went all zombie-nick and the grey-out episodes have been indications all along that his consciousnesses has been in some kind of fugue state. They could wake him up wherever they like, but the scenario requiring the least work would perhaps be to do it right after they killed off the nazi-wesen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

johntfs posted:

I'm remembering Season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Angel(us) snapped Jenny Calender's neck, put her in Giles' bed and scattered rose petals from the bed to the door so Giles would come in, think he was up for a night of passion and then find Jenny's corpse on his bed. Angel came back for the third season and then got his show. Maybe Juliette will come back for Season 5 and spin off to get her own show, Hexenbiest, set in Seattle or something.

Except that was awesome, and this show is not.

• Locked thread