Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Science of Suck posted:

met, what do you think about squid? specifically the vote on fits

I'll walk you through how I perceived him through the game so far.

I noted his claims as he posted. When he said something about being "appealing" I assumed he was a banana. When he bolded "Zest" I changed it to some sort of Citrus fruit and guessed Lemon in my notes. Lime fits, but it's just weird enough it could be false claim.

Here's the quote you're referring to, for reference:

Abyssal Squid posted:

I'm still suspicious of the people being pushy about REVEAL YOUR FRUIT OR ELSE YOU'RE SCUM but as far as I can tell they've all revealed their own fruits so I'm hopping on the fits bandwagon, he's being weird.

##vote fits

He said something anti-me and then rolled with it anyway in the same post. I'm not too worried about it because fits was being terrible anyway, claiming to not read his role PM, voting for Hiip without any reasoning in the post, and then being pretty confrontational. Besides, I lean towards lynching anyone who claims to have not read their role PM even without the rest of the what he did.

But back to Squid. I wouldn't say he isn't suspicious but I don't have a reason to confront his actions yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Met posted:

I'll walk you through how I perceived him through the game so far.

I noted his claims as he posted. When he said something about being "appealing" I assumed he was a banana. When he bolded "Zest" I changed it to some sort of Citrus fruit and guessed Lemon in my notes. Lime fits, but it's just weird enough it could be false claim.

oh my god

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
When I switched to fits, it was because I initially thought he was jokevoting for Hiipfire. When he made it clear that it was a real vote with a poor case behind it, I voted him. I didn't expect quite the bandwagon to form against him, especially as quickly as it did, and the fact that there were people willing to push him to -2 three whole days before deadline really raises some flags for me.

My initial vote on Squid was partially an early day 1 jokevote, but was partially serious and looking for a reaction, especially because his flavor claim seemed a bit rotten to me. In the intervening time, he's started acting scummier, and as others have pointed out, his vote of fits seems the most off of all of them

##vote Abyssal Squid

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Really not liking Met's reaction to people questioning his mass claim strategy, and I think he is being really dishonest by just brushing off the idea that scum could have fake claims. I don't see how a town player could have that mindset where you are presented with a scenario that isn't wildly implausible (scum fake claims) and you just discard it and then go right back to the same argument you were making (no counterclaim of Orange). Being confrontational as scum in order to get people to back down from voting you is a legit tactic and he employed it in the first Bread Mafia. Abyssal Squid and Met are my top scum picks right now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Met posted:

We already know no one else is going to counter-claim Orange, so explain how I can be scum, claim orange, and orange not being one of the flavors given to the fruit team.

It's been said, but maybe if we say it again it'll go through? Fake claims. Everyone has a fruit and there'd be no doubles. Hence no counter-claims. Not rocket science here.

soscannonballs posted:

Really not liking Met's reaction to people questioning his mass claim strategy, and I think he is being really dishonest by just brushing off the idea that scum could have fake claims. I don't see how a town player could have that mindset where you are presented with a scenario that isn't wildly implausible (scum fake claims) and you just discard it and then go right back to the same argument you were making (no counterclaim of Orange). Being confrontational as scum in order to get people to back down from voting you is a legit tactic and he employed it in the first Bread Mafia. Abyssal Squid and Met are my top scum picks right now.

I'm probably overthinking it but I can't believe Met would be so confrontational and stubborn as scum because it's such a red light. Like would a scum legitly dig themselves into such a hole? Then again I don't see town being so intransigent either.

I guess ultimately it comes down to his posts. Are they scummy? Absolutely.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

soscannonballs posted:

NB that Squid that Squid jumped on the fits bandwagon within an hour of my throwing the first vote on him. Met's first post after said wagon was rolling was a vote and call for fits to claim and no substantive case whatsoever. I definitely agree about their apparent scumminess.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Met posted:

Pistachio.

Now, for me, this has been the most suspicious post I have currently seen throughout this game.

First of all, this player was able to claim his role so bluntly that it automatically leads to suspicion in the first place.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, this person has claimed as a Pistachio, which is not neither a FRUIT nor a VEGETABLE, meaning his claim must be false due to process of elimination. This means that this player is either lying about his role in order to avoid suspicion or using as a ruse to manipulate others, both indicative of scum.

Thirdly, I think what I primarily dislike is that his post is simply one word without explaining what his role is exactly useful for. This shows signs of trying to "slip through the cracks" as the expression is called in order to say things without actually having to SAY things.

I believe these accusations alone for now are appropriate enough to say that this person is ideal for scum.

##vote Met

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Harold Krell posted:

Now, for me, this has been the most suspicious post I have currently seen throughout this game.

First of all, this player was able to claim his role so bluntly that it automatically leads to suspicion in the first place.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, this person has claimed as a Pistachio, which is not neither a FRUIT nor a VEGETABLE, meaning his claim must be false due to process of elimination. This means that this player is either lying about his role in order to avoid suspicion or using as a ruse to manipulate others, both indicative of scum.

Thirdly, I think what I primarily dislike is that his post is simply one word without explaining what his role is exactly useful for. This shows signs of trying to "slip through the cracks" as the expression is called in order to say things without actually having to SAY things.

I believe these accusations alone for now are appropriate enough to say that this person is ideal for scum.

##vote Met

Joke vote on someone who already has a couple of votes on them is pretty scummy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Met posted:

Joke vote on someone who already has a couple of votes on them is pretty scummy.

From the one time I played with Krell... I'm not all that sure it's a joke.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

EXAKT Science posted:

NB that Squid that Squid jumped on the fits bandwagon within an hour of my throwing the first vote on him. Met's first post after said wagon was rolling was a vote and call for fits to claim and no substantive case whatsoever. I definitely agree about their apparent scumminess.

Sorry if it seems like I'm lurking, before the game started I said this:

Abyssal Squid posted:

I'm gonna be out of town this weekend (grandfather's 90th birthday woo!) so I'll probably be scarce but I'll try to post what I can

6 hour road trip yesterday, 6 hour road trip back tomorrow, and with family all day today. Probably not gonna get a chance to read responses until Monday.

I didn't have a great case for voting fits but I wanted to get a vote out there before I headed out, and he's only posted garbage so far anyway.

I'm still suspicious of Met mostly because of his Rick Scott avatar and also the rolefishing, but he's an orange and I'm a lime, and I gotta stick with my citrusbros for now. I'm also suspicious of the Science Twins because they've been on my case since I said my fruit has a peel, and that really rinds my gears (yes I'm still making atrocious fruit puns) considering I only said that in the first place because I figured it was best not to claim my flavor off the bat for the reasons everyone has given. I only went out and gave it away because I felt like I had to explain myself, and I've been quiet since because I've been on the road. I don't have strong feelings about anybody else, mostly because most of the posts that were made before I left were about me.

So yeah my vote is sticking with fits for now because he refuses to give anybody anything to work with, even though I feel like Met has a higher chance of being scum in the long run. I mean, looking at the votes against fits right now doesn't give me a good feeling (OMGUS, a suspicious dude, and me when I'm willing to grant that it's mostly a vote of convenience) but I don't have time to really analyze the situation further and I doubt he's going to be much of an asset to the town, even if he is town.

And one last word in my defense: let me live today and I'll explain myself further, besides the fact that I'm a rank newbie. It's not much but it's all I've got besides claims of innocence (which are true but unprovable).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

holy moley that post has like three red flags

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

would vote: met, squid, fits.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Met posted:

I'm not too worried about it because fits was being terrible anyway, claiming to not read his role PM, voting for Hiip without any reasoning in the post, and then being pretty confrontational.

:thejoke:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fit's vote is clearly just push vote to get discussion going and poo poo rolling. And if anything he did well because Squid's vote is incredibly scummy.

:pcgaming:

Abyssal Squid posted:

So yeah my vote is sticking with fits for now because he refuses to give anybody anything to work with, even though I feel like Met has a higher chance of being scum in the long run.

:what:

Met posted:

You're latching on me because me playing aggressively gives you an easy target. You've yet to address any concerns related to your scummy behavior, instead opting to throw blame wherever you can make it stick. My vote for you will remain.

:rolleyes:

Met posted:

I lied about bed. Had a snack instead and now I'm amped.

Whose up for a flavor reveal? I'm still an Orange.

Met posted:

I don't see a reason not to claim your flavor role.

Met posted:

Not your ability. Just your flavor.

What fruit are you?

Met posted:

##vote fits

Time to spill the beans if you want to survive this day.

Met posted:

That's great, Champ.

What fruit are you?

Met posted:

Your style, on the other hand, has you two votes from death. Perhaps you should rethink your strategy and give me a fruit.

Met posted:

If you guys want to play it the hard way, then have fun. A bunch of fruit were already claimed though so not going full hog at this point gets us the worst of both worlds.

:horse:

Met posted:

I don't know. There's a lot of possible roles for townies. I think it's safe enough to reveal our flavor roles without spoiling any power roles and it will make it that much easier to compare/contrast and maybe catch someone claiming something someone else already has.

Met posted:

Name a fruit that would be a tracker. Bulletproof. Doctor.

It's a crapshoot. There are easy benefits for mass-claiming flavor that outweigh the chance of a blueberry cop.

Met posted:

Common fruit get claimed like Orange, Lime, Pear, Grape.

Then some weirdo comes in with Durian in an attempt to claim something that someone won't counterclaim. Bam, easy scum lynch.

Alternatively, someone claims banana and then someone counter-claims. Now you know one of the two is scum.

Met posted:

It's a crapshoot.

:bravo:

Met posted:

...so? The fact it's a newbie game makes it more likely that flavor that's not assigned was given to the scum. Besides, an orange not being given out is ridiculous. It's one of the three top fruits I think of. I'm having a wonderful time playing the flavor angle because virtually all Mafia games I played before SA Mafia didn't have any flavor angle to play off of.

We already know no one else is going to counter-claim Orange, so explain how I can be scum, claim orange, and orange not being one of the flavors given to the fruit team.

You're latching on me because me playing aggressively gives you an easy target. You've yet to address any concerns related to your scummy behavior, instead opting to throw blame wherever you can make it stick. My vote for you will remain.

:frogout:

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
please use words

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

HiipFire posted:

please use words

nah im having more fun this way :nsa:

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

Met posted:

Hmm... let's look at the facts, shall we?

Number of votes for me: 0.

Number of votes for you: 3.

Now I'm not a wizard in math or anything, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that one number is obviously larger than the other. The fact of the matter here is that you are the one on thin ice, so I'm afraid that YOU'RE the one who's going to have to "pass the buck" as they say, if you want to try to accuse some one else first.

Also, it's not a joke post if it happens to be true. :rolleyes:

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
it's good to have fun when playing a game

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

it's good to have fun when playing a game

hahahaha gently caress no

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Harold Krell posted:

Hmm... let's look at the facts, shall we?

Number of votes for me: 0.

Number of votes for you: 3.

Now I'm not a wizard in math or anything, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that one number is obviously larger than the other. The fact of the matter here is that you are the one on thin ice, so I'm afraid that YOU'RE the one who's going to have to "pass the buck" as they say, if you want to try to accuse some one else first.

Also, it's not a joke post if it happens to be true. :rolleyes:

You used reasoning based on things that happened before the game started and then justified it with "You have votes on you and I don't. It doesn't matter why I vote for you because clearly I'm right."

Holy bejeebus.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
that's some next level 3d forums mafia poo poo, respect

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Met posted:

You used reasoning based on things that happened before the game started and then justified it with "You have votes on you and I don't. It doesn't matter why I vote for you because clearly I'm right."

Holy bejeebus.

Well, it's not like I'm going to use reasoning based on things that have NEVER happened before. Would you ever accuse anyone of being scum just because they believed in dragons? I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

When you delve into the game, you will realize that Mafia is nothing more than a voting system. Simply put, the person who gets the most votes gets the boot, and right now, you're the one who's about to be taken out with the bathwater, as so to speak.

What you really need to focus on (if you're not truly scum) is backtracking your last accusatory responses and begin what is known as "the path of redemption". "The path of redemption", simply put, is the event where you essentially apologize and rectify your mistakes for receiving the votes you did. If I were you, I'd start by explaining more about your pistachio role claim. You DON'T have to give away any vital information, just enough to enrich the townies knowledge.

Also, I would feel better about you if you didn't use the Lord's name in vain. :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I assumed you said nothing important so I didn't read any of it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

What you really need to focus on (if you're not truly scum) is backtracking your last accusatory responses and begin what is known as "the path of redemption".

I'd really rather not have to read any of this stuff because... whatever anyway. This is a good point.

Pinterest Mom posted:

holy moley that post has like three red flags

You're not kidding. I'm fine with my vote on Squid after that and perfectly capable of switching towards Met. Now for a bit of WIFOM though, they don't necessarily strike me as scum-buddies and I really can't believe the scum team would self destruct so quickly. This paranoia of mine is what puts Squid over Met for me. Met's catching way too much attention to the point that it's almost unbelievable that he'd be scum yet he is at best incredibly not-town, at worst scum.

Squid on the other hand is trying to fit in so his mistakes read more subtly. There's an effort, poor as it seems, to hide his intentions especially in that last post.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Forgive my newbie question but does Harold Krell always talk like he has the most self-righteous brain condition or

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Epsilon Plus posted:

Forgive my newbie question but does Harold Krell always talk like he has the most self-righteous brain condition or

I've only played one game with him but his style wasn't all that different. Honestly, whatever he can write how he likes. I just don't really get where he's getting his ideas from, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble to find out.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
ymmv but harold has been making the only long posts i've been interested in reading

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
epsilon do you have an opinion on anybody yet?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

lol @ Met trying to debate Harold Krell

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

epsilon do you have an opinion on anybody yet?

Honestly I am at an 11-hour work shift so I've only had time to read and less time to think; I think Met is town and that's my only comfortable read so far.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
if harold krell did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Epsilon Plus posted:

Krell owns and I hope he posts more

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm fine with my vote on Squid after that and perfectly capable of switching towards Met. Now for a bit of WIFOM though, they don't necessarily strike me as scum-buddies and I really can't believe the scum team would self destruct so quickly.

I don't know about that though. They're both super scummy and then there's Squid's comment about how he doesn't want to vote for Mets cause, "Citrus bros gotta stick together".

I'd be fine voting for either one. The OP says that they're tied right now, so it's really just up to whoever the rest of the thread wants to lynch first.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It would be an error to lynch me. I could reiterate why I'm clearly town but people won't listen to reason so :shrug:

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Met posted:

It would be an error to lynch me. I could reiterate why I'm clearly town but people won't listen to reason so :shrug:

Ah, the old "crocodile tear" defense...

Listen, as of right now, you're sounding more scummy by the second. It isn't surprising to see that your in such a predicament seeing how you seem to like putting yourself on the spot in the first place! I mean, if you really said you were town, you shouldn't be acting so defeatist, so the only logical point of view is that you're scum trying to garner sympathy for whatever reason. This is pretty much a no fly zone since everyone one else can already see through your ruse.

Perhaps I'd have more sympathy for you if you happened to play the game more realistically, but I guess bad playing style is also sympathetic in some weird way? :roflolmao:

(But seriously, if you do want some tips on mafia, we can chat after the game is over. It really is a hard game to master and noobies tend to get their feathers ruffled early into the game. There's always room to improve :))

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I hope someone gets something out of that because I just skipped it again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I don't know about that though. They're both super scummy and then there's Squid's comment about how he doesn't want to vote for Mets cause, "Citrus bros gotta stick together".

That's a really good point.

Harold Krell what do you think about Abyssal Squid?

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Met posted:

I hope someone gets something out of that because I just skipped it again.

Okay, at this point, now you're just acting out just to be a jerk. Stop that.

This is suppose to be a friendly game, so stop acting like a loving baby and start playing right.

If you are scum, just accept defeat and go with quiet dignity.

If you aren't scum, then you need to put your thoughts in order and actually respond with some type of meaningful response. All town is trying to find out the truth, so if you're feeling flustered and bewildered by circumstances, feel free to speak your mind. That's the point of Mafia: we talk things out.

If you really are just frustrated right now, we can also talk that out too. This is your time to explain your POV! ;)

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's a really good point.

Harold Krell what do you think about Abyssal Squid?

I'm pretty sure he's town. I've played with him for several years now and he'll always breadcrumb his posts with something about leaving on trips when he's usually town.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Rereading the thread and some things stick out to me:

soscannonballs posted:

Its not uncommon for scum to get fakeclaims from the mod.

Poison Mushroom has given fakeclaims in the two games of hers I have played as scum in. I still don't think claiming our flavors is a particularly bad thing to do but people shouldn't be claiming their roles because nobody is that goddamn stupid. I don't think Met's likely scum.

Harold Krell posted:

##vote Met

This is a vote based on a joke on the second page of the thread. Any further statements have been essentially "if you were town nobody would be voting you :) :) :)". They are not driving discussion, providing evidence or presenting any compelling alternatives.

Currently I am most comfortable with ##vote Abyssal Squid as their posting so far hasn't been great. They claim fits' posting is garbage, which I don't think is true, and their last post here:

Abyssal Squid posted:

And one last word in my defense: let me live today and I'll explain myself further, besides the fact that I'm a rank newbie. It's not much but it's all I've got besides claims of innocence (which are true but unprovable).

is pretty drat pathetic. "Oh, I'm innocent, I promise!" Statistically, we're all innocent. It's a useless thing to say.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I might not be around for the deadline tonight so I am going to ##vote Abyssal Squid now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

##vote squid
okay

• Locked thread