Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Effectronica posted:

You're retarded.
and you think your brain is a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SnowblindFatal posted:

The whole universe is just an automaton and we're on a ride. That something like consciousness happened is pretty cool, I admit, but you gotta be pretty dense if you think that it makes the whole system somehow more special than it is. Consciousness simply is and doesn't affect anything.

even if that was a law of physics how is the universe being an automaton that we are riding in mutually exclusive with free will?

consciousness is just awareness but like watching a movie we have no influence on the actions we take? idk man

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
free will vs determinism is truly the shittest of philosophical arguments beyond "is the chair there"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

RichardGamingo posted:

You need a critical mass of signals before consciousness develops in the sense of today's human sapience. If you don't find that intuitive, just let alone the volume of effort necessary to reach the almost hyper-empirical states of consciousness displayed by individuals such as Finland's Iceman (who has exceptional sympathetic nervous control) or the manifestation of a trained meditator's Gamma (low-frequency) brainwave.

Therefore I'd say that humans as we know them have not always had consciousness. We were primarily reflex automatas before we elaborated instincts and sapient expression. After some intermediate steps, including sapien-sapiens awareness, consciousness begins to emerges to varying degrees.

Best Regards,
RG

Pewdiepie himself couldn't give you viewers. You suck on a level beyond human comprehension, RichardFlamingo.

Cardiovorax posted:

and you think your brain is a wizard.

More dogma. It's okay (and pathetic) that you have a secular, atheistic religion about how we're powerless, but it's not okay that you keep pretending it's science.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

Effectronica posted:

That is exactly what someone said above- we obviously don't have free will because we're not aware of why we prefer certain tastes, moods, colors, or other aesthetic phenomena. Of course, the mindset in use by you and your band of fellow nitwits generates infinite regress. If we observe someone engaging in something that's not part of their preferences, then clearly it is a deeply-rooted preference beneath all the others, just like how Freud developed inverted and suppressed Oedipal complexes. It's transparent that your hypothesis is in its latter days, able to survive only through ad hoc declarations.

Inverted and suppressed Oedipal complexes arise from contingencies. This is obvious if you both read any solid chunk of Freud's work and know the definition and have the brain function such that you can analogize a circumstance that involves contingent risk.

Best Regards,
RG

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if everything is just a reaction of previous conditions and events then how could decisions with equal weight on all possible choices be made?

RichardGamingo posted:

This is obvious if you both read any solid chunk of Freud's work

Best Regards,
RG

freud's work has been disproven pretty solidly though

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

free will vs determinism is truly the shittest of philosophical arguments beyond "is the chair there"

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Effectronica posted:

More dogma. It's okay (and pathetic) that you have a secular, atheistic religion about how we're powerless, but it's not okay that you keep pretending it's science.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Actually the thing is that it's literally like arguing about religion. I bet five bux that all these people for free will are religious.

Another one owned.

Moridin920 posted:

consciousness is just awareness but like watching a movie we have no influence on the actions we take? idk man

Yes. You got it. :)

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
hairless apes throwing digital shits at each other megathread

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Wait wait wait wait wait wait.

I think.

I think Effectronica is trolling.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yes. You got it. :)

but there is no scientific basis for that afaik

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

Moridin920 posted:

if everything is just a reaction of previous conditions and events then how could decisions with equal weight on all possible choices be made?

1st step is to admit that it cannot be so and assign the source of the phenomena to an unknowable, abstract force, such as emotion.

A metaphor.
http://www.blackswanreport.com/blog/2012/05/hungry-donkeys/

Best Regards,
RG

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

but there is no scientific basis for that afaik

But it's the only logical conclusion unless you include mysticism which in itself isn't logical.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
I can imagine a monkey just toking up on some skunky reefer.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

RichardGamingo posted:

Inverted and suppressed Oedipal complexes arise from contingencies. This is obvious if you both read any solid chunk of Freud's work and know the definition and have the brain function such that you can analogize a circumstance that involves contingent risk.

Best Regards,
RG

Don't quote me ever again RichardGaymingo or I will blot you out.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

SnowblindFatal posted:

But it's the only logical conclusion unless you include mysticism which in itself isn't logical.

science hinges on induction which is wholly dependent on the consistency of cause and effect so

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SnowblindFatal posted:

Which is the most logical conclusion?

1. In general, our perceptions are real.
2. Our perceptions are real when it comes to the external world, except in certain cases, but fake when it comes to our selves, (and indeed the self is fake), except in certain cases.
3. In general, our perceptions are fake.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
defin sconscoisueness op

then lets really get down to business (evil hand rub)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RichardGamingo posted:

1st step is to admit that it cannot be so and assign the source of the phenomena to an unknowable, abstract force, such as emotion.

1st step is to admit we don't know all things

SnowblindFatal posted:

no, it isn't. there are many arguments on both sides of the debate that make logical sense

Quickscope420dad posted:

science hinges on induction which is wholly dependent on the consistency of cause and effect so

no.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Effectronica posted:

Which is the most logical conclusion?

1. In general, our perceptions are real.
2. Our perceptions are real when it comes to the external world, except in certain cases, but fake when it comes to our selves, (and indeed the self is fake), except in certain cases.
3. In general, our perceptions are fake.

can't have a conclusion without some premises

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's option 3, how is there even any debate there.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

It's option 3, how is there even any debate there.

Okay, then, imagine me away Cardiovorax, since this is all created by your own mind as far as you know... Oh, wait, that's why you don't believe in free will: that way you can insulate yourself from any criticism of solipsism.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo anyone who says they are obviously right on one side or another of this debate is being disingenuous given that we just don't know enough about how poo poo works (either the universe or our brains) to be able to make that kind of statement definitively.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Everyone please explore this in your own minds, in silence, as I have, until you reach the ultimate conclusion that the discussion is pointless and it doesn't loving matter if free will is illusory or real, or if existence is the dream of the cosmic octopus, your ultimate insignificance is achieved whether any of this is true or false. Then be quiet, about this, forever, and do not talk about it again.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

imo anyone who says they are obviously right on one side or another of this debate is being disingenuous given that we just don't know enough about how poo poo works (either the universe or our brains) to be able to make that kind of statement definitively.

it's perfect fertilizer for undernourished egos

just chill and watch the ugly plants grow man

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Moridin920 posted:

Actually, as an accomplished demonologist, I do know the answer, but can never reveal it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry you have to learn it from me, but yeah, the world you think you live in is just a mediocre construct created from the tunnel vision you call your senses. If you think that anything at all is actually what your perceptions tell you, you've missed out on some 5000 years of philosophical history.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry you have to learn it from me, but yeah, the world you think you live in is just a mediocre construct created from the tunnel vision you call your senses. If you think that anything at all is actually what your perceptions tell you, you've missed out on some 5000 years of philosophical history.

My senses tell me that the chance of this bread being nourishing is very high. Guess I'm actually dead after eating it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry you have to learn it from me, but yeah, the world you think you live in is just a mediocre construct created from the tunnel vision you call your senses.

well yeah that's true

still doesn't mean I don't have any choice in the matter of what to eat for lunch

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Um if you cant trust your senses you can't trust anything at all..except forums user "cardiovorax" apparently. And what are perceptions if not sensory input. define your terms nigga

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

california roll posted:

at what point in when we were long distance endurance runners to tire out animals for food were we able to think as we can today?

never. consciousness grows in complexity as the social environment humans inhabit grows in complexity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

well yeah that's true

still doesn't mean I don't have any choice in the matter of what to eat for lunch
No, but it does mean that "but I feel like I have real choice" isn't nearly as much of an argument as it sounds like.

Tautologicus posted:

Um if you cant trust your senses you can't trust anything at all..except forums user "cardiovorax" apparently. And what are perceptions if not sensory input. define your terms nigga
Read some Hume. Who am I, your remedial epistemology teacher?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 27, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you can't trust any sensory input 100% but that doesn't make all possibilities equally likely

Cardiovorax posted:

No, but it does mean that "but I feel like I have real choice" isn't nearly as much of an argument as it sounds like.

it isn't an argument at all. there are mathematical proofs in support of free will and unpredictability at the most fundamental level of the universe. there are also flaws in the logic.

there is also the fact that in any mathematics there exist statements that are neither true or false, but simply logically unprovable.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 27, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nothing is real until many qualified people test and evaluate something and get matching data that holds up to outside scrutiny.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

Okay, see, I'm going to slam your head into this stone, and you're going to tell me that the pain isn't real, and I'm going to explain this to the cops when your body is discovered and they'll let me go, as enlightened individuals.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

pikachu...!

i chew

chew

chewse U!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ash knows...

ash knows...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

nothing is real until many qualified people test and evaluate something and get matching data that holds up to outside scrutiny.

yeah pretty much

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
arguing in good faith? not on my message board!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

there is no good faith when it comes to this bullshit

• Locked thread