Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
and theoretically have no concept of time or consciousness to experience its passing

won't that mean the whole 'being dead' part will be over instantly for us similar to being sedated or unconscious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Can I buy some pot from you as well?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Motherfucker posted:

and theoretically have no concept of time or consciousness to experience its passing

won't that mean the whole 'being dead' part will be over instantly for us similar to being sedated or unconscious?

well i as far as i can tell can't dream most of the time so i figure it's like when i lay down and things just go black for 5-8 hours.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Youll die and be born again. Even if its a million years later itll seem like only a second to you.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Motherfucker posted:

sure but the difference is there's nothing after the 'being dead' part unless you believe in some kind of afterlife. you will just... not experience anything any more. 'you' will cease to exist in a metaphorical puff of smoke

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

unless time's like a wheel or whatever

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
I don't die OP so I dunno.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

appropriatemetaphor posted:

this argument is evidence that time just repeats again and again forever, jfc

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
we'll burn in the lake of fire.

There's a second option, but we're posting in GBS so we can safely assume we don't qualify.

See you there! :wave:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

true, if after the entropic death of the universe the strange eons actually do that theoretical probability thing with anything and everything physically possible if not sensible happening eventually we could get another big bang maybe and then you'll just find yourself being physically born right after dying or something

seems kind of unlikely though

e: oh yeah, that comment a few posts up also isn't that much better than being dead for good - living the same life over and over again and never even being aware of it, ugh

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

e: oh yeah, that comment a few posts up also isn't that much better than being dead for good - living the same life over and over again and never even being aware of it, ugh

yeah i'd much rather be aware of the fact that i was locked into an infinite and mundane cycle of repetition

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
We don't die, we multiply.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dead Precedents posted:

We don't die, we multiply.

i'm assuming that refers to humans and not goons.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
We are judged according to our own deeds. I don't know if God was anticipating people stretching their assholes out for the Internet, though...so he may start judging us harsher after finding that out

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

yeah i'd much rather be aware of the fact that i was locked into an infinite and mundane cycle of repetition

awareness of the cycle might enable the ability to do something different each time at least. it's impossible to do anything different without that though since all the stimuli will be exactly the same every time

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

some people finmd the concept of oblivion comforting but honestly it terrifies me because i cant understand it i cant let go of feeling like i need to be prepared or understand something but i suppose in the end it wont matter either way, it still doesn thelp anyway uh lol i guess

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerfulJRE

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

this but unsarcastically

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

when i used to huff gas i had this moment of like i have no way to describe it but the absolute knowledge that everything ive done and will do has already been done before and ive reached this conclusion a million times before and will do so again and it was amazing even though it was my brain malfunctioning because i was huffing gas like a desperate junkie but still i can remember the sensation and its robbed of its importance but i can't put it into words it transcended language, still probably not true unfortunately but who knows not me thats for sure

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i probably shouldn't have related that story it was a long time ago okay i mean like 6 years ago at least its a bit hazy now

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Last time I was over at Xi Wangmu's place I picked up some longevity peaches, I'll sell you one for a million dollars. Lower than market price and no transactions involving your immortal soul required! Great deal! Cash only.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtbbqjiFaGY

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Being dead is just like being unconscious, yes.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

AchtungBaby posted:

Youll die and be born again. Even if its a million years later itll seem like only a second to you.

this would be so cool imho

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

If you think about it millions of years of evolution has taught us to fear death because otherwise we would just chuckle and stop living. Really makes u think!!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

sure but the difference is there's nothing after the 'being dead' part unless you believe in some kind of afterlife. you will just... not experience anything any more. 'you' will cease to exist in a metaphorical puff of smoke

looking forward to this

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
you can't die when you're alraedy in hell OP so i don't see what use the topic is really

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqlz3GTK1i8

wit
Jul 26, 2011
It'll pretty much feel like it did before your mom sat on that dirty truck stop toilet seat. And I'm oddly fine with oblivion.

e: VVVVV

Torka posted:

my heart stopped for slightly over two minutes in a hospital icu and I had no afterlife experience of any kind

http://www.clickhole.com/video/amazing-boy-saw-heaven-during-his-near-death-exper-830

wit fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 27, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

my heart stopped for slightly over two minutes in a hospital icu and I had no afterlife experience of any kind

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Torka posted:

yeah but you came back plenty of time to sign a contract saying that you will forget and then be actually made to forget or maybe "they" just did that and you didnt sign a contract

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Did the smell of will smiths aftershave and tommy lee jones' rotting corpse hang in your hospital room for a few minutes?

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I lol cause ive thought through every scenario and they're all horrible

oblivion is terrifying. Existing forever is terrifying. Being reincarnated in and endless loop with no memory of past lives for all eternity is terrifying. Doing that same thing WITH memory of past lives is terrifying.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

the culminator posted:

oblivion is terrifying. Existing forever is terrifying. Being reincarnated in and endless loop with no memory of past lives for all eternity is terrifying. Doing that same thing WITH memory of past lives is terrifying.

you forgot the eternal return

reincarnating to the same life for all eternity without ever being able to change it hahaha

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Motherfucker posted:

Yes. Some people are scared of this, but it sounds just dandy to me if there is no afterlife.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the culminator posted:

at least i can wrap my head around those other things, oblivion just freaks me the gently caress out and i cant... there's nothing ,theres so much nothing its not even black like you're in the dark its just nothing, i dont get it and i cant understand, and if thats what waits then i think i would have rather never been alive in the first place and think that existence is a horrible and cruel trick and i would do anything to extend it for as long as i could

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

lonesomedwarf posted:

at least i can wrap my head around those other things, oblivion just freaks me the gently caress out and i cant... there's nothing ,theres so much nothing its not even black like you're in the dark its just nothing, i dont get it and i cant understand, and if thats what waits then i think i would have rather never been alive in the first place and think that existence is a horrible and cruel trick and i would do anything to extend it for as long as i could

believe me bro I feel your pain n feel exactly the same way a lot of nights while waiting to go to sleep. It makes you feel like life and the universe really have absolutely no meaning and nothing anything does matters.

I remember the first time I came to this realization it was loving star treks fault. I was watching an ep of TNG while high and was like "I wonder how the 23rd century will really be like?" and then I realized I wouldn't be around to witness it and that made me realize that my consciousness would end and oh god. I had a p scary panic attack

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
i heard being dead is similar to what it's like before being born, op

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the culminator posted:

same

edit: except i'm not lolling

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

the culminator posted:

It makes you feel like life and the universe really have absolutely no meaning and nothing anything does matters.

On the bright side, now that you've discovered the ultimate Truth there's nothing left to do but party your rear end off.

• Locked thread