Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I might have missed it, but how do you acquire money to spend on catalog items (assuming no drug selling or anything else Corrections might frown upon is done)? Jobs inside? Family/friends kicking in? $149 for a TV seems like it'd be hard to build up, especially if you were buying more necessary extras from commissary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Sorry to fixate on this, but why are they selling cassette players? Do people actually buy them to use to play tapes, or is it just to make tattoo guns? Surely the people in charge of what prisoners are allowed to buy know what they're actually going to be used for? If MP3 players are available, why are they still letting people buy cassette players?

I'm actually not sure if you can still buy cassette players. The reason they're still prolific is both because of their use as a tattoo gun (which can double as a device to put numbers in TV's and such. Say I go home and leave my TV to a friend. He'd have to get my old number out of it with brillo-pad type poo poo then use a tattoo gun to put his own number in) and because nobody throws anything away in prison. People are still trading Slayer and Pantera tapes that have been around since the 90s. Not very many people have cassette players and the majority of those that do use them as tattoo guns. It's just an environment where people hold on to that poo poo for -years-.

SHISHKABOB posted:

How often do people smile in prison, or is it just flat faces or frowns all the time.

People smile all the time, it's making eye contact that's a little less common.

RandomCheese posted:

I'm interested to know why it's so easy to get drugs into prison by mail and personal visits, I'd have thought they would known all the tricks in the book for contraband smuggling and have that poo poo on lockdown but seemingly not.

It comes down to 2 things, huge profit margins and nothing but time. Yeah they have people in the visiting room watching, but they can't watch everyone all the time. Don't get me wrong people get caught all the time. I've seen so many dudes/crews come up then get popped. It's almost always because the administration gets tipped off though. My Cobra homeboy, Cage, just got caught a couple weeks ago. He had his brother handing him 15-20 suboxone strips and he would walk out with them right in his mouth. He was getting away with it for 6 months but the last time he had a visit as soon as he shook his brothers hand (and got the dope) the police came in and took him to the strip search room. The police accidentally took him to the door of the wrong room (crazy right?) and forgot to handcuff him so he used that as an opportunity to swallow all the dope. They tackled him and put him in a choke hold but I guess he managed to get it down. I heard they pumped his stomach but couldn't find anything. I assume it wasn't totally sealed (as he would just walk out with it in his mouth) and it dissolved in his stomach. None the less he's in Seg right now and got a smuggling ticket. He should be able to beat it though. That dumb motherfucker was -supposed- to go home right around Christmas, probably not anymore. Like I said though if he would have got away with it he would have turned $100 worth of drugs into $1,500-$2k.

swickles posted:

Ahahahhaah, that is amazing. Are there many moments where you find the whole place amused, or happy? What is the general atmosphere like. Did you walk through the day paranoid? Did you feel safe? What were the holidays, namely Christmas, like? Just another day, or did you get better food or anything like that?

Oh yeah I've had major laughs in prison. I was always in good cubes where we clowned on each other all day. I mean we used to be ROLLING laughing making fun of the child molesters and such. I remember this weirdo stalker in my cube (the one whose newstory I link to in the OP) pulled out his paperwork and it said he called his victim 63 times in a row. We made fun of him about that so bad. I remember there was this older black guy named Crackin' who got beat up like every other week. The other black guys would roast him so bad the whole unit would be laughing during count. I remember one time this little white kid dragged Crackin' behind a pop machine and beat the gently caress out of him. He got clowned so hard for that I thought he might snap. The every day vibe is pretty laid back, but it does pop off quite often. Yeah on Holidays they play movies over the cable and you get holiday trays. Some of the holiday trays are way better than the regular food, others are not. Also there's late night power on holidays. New Years Eve is always off the chain in the joint. Everyone is getting drunk and smoking. People whip batteries and bars of soap at the police, throw toilet paper in the fans, bang on lockers, etc.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I might have missed it, but how do you acquire money to spend on catalog items (assuming no drug selling or anything else Corrections might frown upon is done)? Jobs inside? Family/friends kicking in? $149 for a TV seems like it'd be hard to build up, especially if you were buying more necessary extras from commissary.

My family sent me money. The vast majority of people have "holds" on their money that only allows them to get $50 a month, which makes getting a TV REALLY hard. For example say you go to prison for malicious destruction of property and you owe $5k. Anything over $50 you get sent is going to get split between you and the court fines. So if you get $50 you get $50, but if you get $100 you only get $75. If you have multiple cases where you owe restitution (as most do) then they take everything over $50.

Getting a TV on the $50 a month plan is horrible, it comes out to slightly over $150 so you have to go 4 months without spending anything on food/coffee/hygiene. Most people just buy boge (prison slang for bogus aka not yours/wack/hot) TVs for $20-$30 and have their number put in. Every so often they'll do a sweep (typically after something like a shanking happens) and take out all the boge TVs.

I had a job as a unit porter that paid $30 a month. That's one of the better jobs you can get as far as pay. Also I might have done maybe 10 minutes of work a day. Kitchen and yard crew jobs are awful, it's about as close as you can get to real work but you get paid <$1 a day. My good friend was a tutor and I imagine that was fuckin' horrible as well. Looks good for the parole board though.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

You mentioned going on after being on heroin, does the prison have any sort of system for detox or did they let you puke/sweat/poo poo it out over a couple of weeks? Or did you figure out your hook up quick enough that it wasn't an issue. I've always wondered how someone on that stuff could handle prison since it doesn't seem like there would be a steady supply. I'm on opiates for a back problem and if I don't get my prescription on the regular then I fall apart within a couple of days.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

You mentioned going on after being on heroin, does the prison have any sort of system for detox or did they let you puke/sweat/poo poo it out over a couple of weeks? Or did you figure out your hook up quick enough that it wasn't an issue. I've always wondered how someone on that stuff could handle prison since it doesn't seem like there would be a steady supply. I'm on opiates for a back problem and if I don't get my prescription on the regular then I fall apart within a couple of days.

By the time you hit the department of corrections you've already been off the streets for at least like a month. If you get arrested or violate you go to county jail first and typically (unless you're a parole violator) you have to have a few court dates before they ride you out to prison. I had been off the streets for like 45 days by the time I hit intake.

I didn't have a habit when I was out there before, I was just using occasionally.

I didn't start doing heroin in prison until the last 9 months of my 24 month bit. I started abusing suboxone about 6 or 7 months into it. Unless you're a total lame you should know whose got the dope, or at least someone that can get it. I happened to meet a lot of the top gang guys through friends and those connections lasted a while.

Hahaha, yeah it's never a steady supply. It would be flooded with suboxone for weeks then it would all of a sudden dry up. Every day after mail ran you'd see a legion of white dudes walking over to D unit or whichever unit the poo poo was supposed to come too. There would be like 15 people waiting outside the unit.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

The Valuum posted:

The first is my aforementioned friend Brian. He's a real solid guy from the suburbs of Detroit. He's doing 6 years for breaking into a bunch of houses to support his dope habit. He is a complete loving dopefiend but he's my homeboy. He is gang affiliated but he's a good guy. He is very desperate for mail, you could draw a picture of a dick on scrap paper and mail it to him and it'd probably make his week. Seriously you don't have to be women with romantic intentions you can literally mail him anything and it would be great. Here's his address and picture:

So if I sent this dude a whole book of crudely drawn dicks it would make his year? Cause I can make it happen.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

The Valuum posted:

<gang stuff>

The vast, vast, majority of them though never want to get out though.
Can you expand on this?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Is it possible to just keep your nose down and avoid harassment and getting poo poo stolen or is it more or less compulsory to fight to show you won't put up with poo poo?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What was the first week like? Did people try to gently caress with you or get your booty?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

A Kpro posted:

So if I sent this dude a whole book of crudely drawn dicks it would make his year? Cause I can make it happen.

Please do it. He would seriously show it to everyone he knew. He'd be outside A-units window knocking, pressing it on the glass.

photomikey posted:

Can you expand on this?

To be blunt, most of these guys are just really dumb scurveballs that look at being in a prison gang the way that other people might look at working at Microsoft or something. Almost all the gang members are the guys that are gonna come back over, and over, and over. I think another aspect of it is that once you go in that deep to get out would be saying all that time, all those hits they did, all those lovely tattoos they got, was for nothing. It's like admitting you were wrong for years on end. It's easier to just roll with the ideology and philosophy than saying "I lost my parole/got stabbed/got tattooed over something stupid".

1500quidporsche posted:

Is it possible to just keep your nose down and avoid harassment and getting poo poo stolen or is it more or less compulsory to fight to show you won't put up with poo poo?

It totally depends on who you are. First of all if you're white that's already a strike against you. If you're small that's another strike, educated/articulate is another strike. However it all comes down to how you carry yourself. This sounds dumb but have you ever seen kangaroos fight over being the alpha-roo? How they bang their chests and try to look big? That's how it is except it's way more subtle and done with words. When you first come in someone might say something to you that has just the slightest element of a put-down in it. Now you don't have to cold-cock the guy right then and there, but there is a specific way you should respond to it. It's all about how you "carry yourself"

I did it totally wrong. I was a young white kid who was educated and came from money (compared to them at least). I don't have a huge ego so I don't feel the need to talk myself up in every conversation. I used to joke "nobody loses a fight in prison" because every fight story someone tells consists of the storyteller completely dominating their opponent. In fact almost every story someone tells makes them out to be -the poo poo-, every women they bang is a drop dead 10, ya know? To me it just sounded like stupid boasting but it really determines how people view you. People see that poo poo as confidence and correct their actions accordingly. Anyways like I said I'm not the type of guy that brags and such. People took my attitude and figured I wasn't willing to fight. "Willingness to fight" is almost always more important than your actual fighting skill. I had never been in a true fight in my life before prison. The vast, vast majority of thefts are committed against people they think aren't willing to fight. It doesn't matter if the guy stealing is a ripped up 260lb black dude, they don't want to actually fight. For one it's pretty easy to get caught fighting and they don't want the ticket. They'll always choose a victim they think won't fight back.

Anyways I was pretty new still and one of my cubies stole my headphones. I knew it was him, you typically always know who stole your poo poo. For one it's almost always someone in your own cube, at very least there was someone in your cube in on it. Anyways I suspected him off bat then I had multiple people tell me they saw him selling my headphones to another guy. The problem was the guy that stole my poo poo was black, so automatically there's a huge angle added. Luckily my homeboy from the streets had just rode in and was the head of the GDs. This wasn't just a guy I bought dope from, he was my actual friend. He was gonna take the kid out for me but I didn't really want that. I just wanted a fair fight with lookouts, everyone assured me once people knew I was willing to fight the thefts would stop. He set it up in an area of the yard where there were no cameras. It was like the thunderdome in Mad Max 3, I was surrounded by GDs yelling/cheering. I clearly lost the fight, I didn't get my rear end kicked but I lost. I didn't get my headphones back either. However people stopped stealing from me, and that's all I really wanted. Me and the dude who stole my poo poo eventually came on alright terms. He says he didn't steal it, I think there's maybe a 10% chance he didn't. This is the ignorant thing about prison: it really doesn't matter if he did or didn't, the fight was all that mattered.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Firstborn posted:

What was the first week like? Did people try to gently caress with you or get your booty?

Boring as gently caress. I didn't have a TV so I did a lot of reading. People aren't really on the rape-tip because theirs so many openly homosexual guys. People typically try to feel out your back story though. They are typically pretty suspicious, they make sure not to smoke any weed, make any alcohol, or run any tattoos around you until they see you are cool.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Really interesting. Were there ever any guys that didn't fight/refused to? How did they cope with having all their poo poo being constantly stolen?

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
This might sound strange but as a guy in a wheelchair, I'm always interested in what would happen to me if I went to prison. I sorta followed the Oscar Pistorius thing (you really REALLY don't wanna go to prison in South Africa, holy poo poo) and supposedly he's going to be housed in some kind of medical unit where the violence is--supposedly, they say--fairly minimal. However, I got no idea how it works in the US.

So I've got two questions that relate to me specifically, but they can be answered more in a general way. I'm white, I've got a university degree, plus a paralegal certification. The white/educated-thing you've already answered that as being a strike against anyone, but what about being a paralegal? Would that help in getting placed in the law library for a job? Does that mean I'll be able to help other inmates on appeals, or at least have the benefit of helping other inmates have a second- or third-look at their case? Does having a legal background without being a lawyer help? Or since does any association with lawyers mean that's another strike? I've heard actual lawyers are fairly looked down on in prison since everyone in prison believes their lawyer somehow screwed them, or was involved in some conspiracy or complicit in some way they probably can't articulate.

Also, do inmates in wheelchairs, or any other disabled inmate with mobility problems, ever stay in gen-pop? Or is a more severe disability, I'm thinking of anything worse than just needing a cane (which would inevitably be used as a weapon), automatically mean you're going to be housed in some kind of protective custody? I've heard other people say that being in protective custody is worse a lot of times since sometimes that means you're in with a population that's more likely to be child molesters, really shady inmates that ratted on others in a big-time way, high-profile inmates, or former gang shot callers/higher-ups that despite horrible pasts decided to become turncoats for whatever reason. Anyway, that's a long way of explaining it but what happens to inmates that are disabled or the old/infirm? (You can also explain protective/medical custody more if that applied to your stay and you know anything about it)

edit: the things I mention are all stuff I've "heard", and most of the information I've heard relating to prison is news stuff in the media, documentaries on TV--which I've always taken with about a few pounds of salt, and threads like these. I hope HidingFromGoro pops in on one of these prison threads sometime, his input has always been great and I miss his thread from D&D.

Bastaman Vibration fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 1, 2014

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

The Valuum posted:

Please do it. He would seriously show it to everyone he knew. He'd be outside A-units window knocking, pressing it on the glass.

Alright, one book of dicks is on order. It'll take a bit for it get printed and delivered.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

A Kpro posted:

Alright, one book of dicks is on order. It'll take a bit for it get printed and delivered.

Someone start a collaborative goon project in the Creative Convention forum. Have someone draw a bunch of psychadelic dicks with dicks coming out of dicks loving other dicks with making GBS threads dicknipples.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Really interesting. Were there ever any guys that didn't fight/refused to? How did they cope with having all their poo poo being constantly stolen?

Yeah, there's tons of people that cop out to fights. They're the people that lock their TV in their lockers during chow, don't leave their headphones out, etc.

dinoputz posted:

This might sound strange but as a guy in a wheelchair, I'm always interested in what would happen to me if I went to prison. I sorta followed the Oscar Pistorius thing (you really REALLY don't wanna go to prison in South Africa, holy poo poo) and supposedly he's going to be housed in some kind of medical unit where the violence is--supposedly, they say--fairly minimal. However, I got no idea how it works in the US.

So I've got two questions that relate to me specifically, but they can be answered more in a general way. I'm white, I've got a university degree, plus a paralegal certification. The white/educated-thing you've already answered that as being a strike against anyone, but what about being a paralegal? Would that help in getting placed in the law library for a job? Does that mean I'll be able to help other inmates on appeals, or at least have the benefit of helping other inmates have a second- or third-look at their case? Does having a legal background without being a lawyer help? Or since does any association with lawyers mean that's another strike? I've heard actual lawyers are fairly looked down on in prison since everyone in prison believes their lawyer somehow screwed them, or was involved in some conspiracy or complicit in some way they probably can't articulate.

Also, do inmates in wheelchairs, or any other disabled inmate with mobility problems, ever stay in gen-pop? Or is a more severe disability, I'm thinking of anything worse than just needing a cane (which would inevitably be used as a weapon), automatically mean you're going to be housed in some kind of protective custody? I've heard other people say that being in protective custody is worse a lot of times since sometimes that means you're in with a population that's more likely to be child molesters, really shady inmates that ratted on others in a big-time way, high-profile inmates, or former gang shot callers/higher-ups that despite horrible pasts decided to become turncoats for whatever reason. Anyway, that's a long way of explaining it but what happens to inmates that are disabled or the old/infirm? (You can also explain protective/medical custody more if that applied to your stay and you know anything about it)

edit: the things I mention are all stuff I've "heard", and most of the information I've heard relating to prison is news stuff in the media, documentaries on TV--which I've always taken with about a few pounds of salt, and threads like these. I hope HidingFromGoro pops in on one of these prison threads sometime, his input has always been great and I miss his thread from D&D.

There were guys in wheelchairs in my unit. They pay another prisoner to push you around all day. They do have specific medical units, but there are no medical specific prisons. Unless you count psych prisons.

Naw, people would love the fact you were a paralegal. Technically you're not supposed to help out other inmates on their case but nobody ever gets in trouble for it. There's a whole scene of law library guys. They almost never accomplish anything but at least they try. I've never heard of anyone really looking down on lawyers.

They let you get canes. poo poo, there was a guy without legs on my compound. Side note: He got in a fight with a one legged guy, no joke. I can almost guarantee you'd be housed in with everybody else. In Michigan at least, I'm sure it varies from place to place. I don't know if MI even has "seg" the way you describe it. If you rat, get stabbed, get your life threatened, etc they just ride you out to another prison. It's called "Locking up"/"Riding out".

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

One of my best friends just did a 5 year stint. He said they call the child molesters Chomos too. He has some funny Cook Up recipes too. I know he used to mix Orange flavor Kool Aid packets with some other poo poo to make BBQ sauce. He used to make tattoo guns in there and has a bunch of tattoos although only one is any good. I know he got shanked once and did his fair share of time in the hole too. You ever do any time in the hole? And if so, how the hell do you make time go by?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

One of my best friends just did a 5 year stint. He said they call the child molesters Chomos too. He has some funny Cook Up recipes too. I know he used to mix Orange flavor Kool Aid packets with some other poo poo to make BBQ sauce. He used to make tattoo guns in there and has a bunch of tattoos although only one is any good. I know he got shanked once and did his fair share of time in the hole too. You ever do any time in the hole? And if so, how the hell do you make time go by?

"FUCKIN' CHOMOS!" that's about one of the only things I miss about prison, clowning on chomos. They also call them Tree Jumpers, Waldos (Because you look them up online ala where's waldo), and "drug cases" ("He drug her into the bushes!"). I had a homeboy that used to always say "Whose big idea was it to let this guy baby sit?" whenever an obvious cho would walk by.

"A bunch of tattoos although only one is any good", yeah that's prison ink for you. I have the outline of a 5 point star with my mom's name misspelled underneath it. The dude doing the tattoo got stabbed before he could finish.

I never did any time in the hole. LOP (Loss of privileges) was bad enough. That's where you can't leave the cube or go outside. I never really got caught for anything besides selling phone time (6 days LOP) and stealing ice cream from the chow hall (3 days). I got a few 1 and 2 day LOP bits for out of place (being in someones cube) but that's about it. I have homeboys that have done years in the hole for assaulting the police. My homeboy ChrisX did like 2 years in the hole for that. He said he worked out for a couple hours a day and came out a fuckin' monster.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Valuum posted:

I remember there was this older black guy named Crackin' who got beat up like every other week. The other black guys would roast him so bad the whole unit would be laughing during count. I remember one time this little white kid dragged Crackin' behind a pop machine and beat the gently caress out of him. He got clowned so hard for that I thought he might snap.
If you actually think this is as funny as you say, I'm hoping you go back inside fast. People who get off on torture creep me the gently caress out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Valuum posted:

They also call them Tree Jumpers, Waldos (Because you look them up online ala where's waldo), and "drug cases" ("He drug her into the bushes!").

When you say "look up online", do you mean in prison or have someone on the outside look up? Do you have internet access and, if so, how heavily filtered is it?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Do you regret your life choices?

Do you feel bad for taking your grandmother's money to spend on drugs, other than the fact it makes it more difficult for you to take drugs again now you're out?

Why can't you spell your own mother's name?

What's the best and worst thing you've taken from prison as a person? i.e. you feel more confident than before, you find it hard to relate to others etc.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

If you actually think this is as funny as you say, I'm hoping you go back inside fast. People who get off on torture creep me the gently caress out.

Uh they weren't beating this dude's rear end for nothing. IIRC every fight he got into was over talking reckless. You can't just call a guy a "bitch" in prison and expect to get away with it. Maybe I wasn't very clear but I don't see how that's torture. The comedy in it was that he would constantly get into fights (that were 100% his fault) all of which he'd lose. I actually re-read my post and I kinda see where you're coming from. To be clear Crackin' was trolling for fights almost constantly and always lose, that's why people made fun of him so bad. The other black dudes also thought the fact a small white kid beat him in a fight was hilarious too.

CBJSprague24 posted:

When you say "look up online", do you mean in prison or have someone on the outside look up? Do you have internet access and, if so, how heavily filtered is it?

Like say you go to one of those watchdog sites and type in your zipcode and the map comes up with all the dots representing sex offenders, that's what it's referring to. The COs have internet access and will occasionally look stuff up for you. My one dumbass stalker cubie claimed he rode his bike from Port Huron, MI to Lincoln Park, MI in <3.5 hours. Keep in mind he's morbidly obese. We had a CO look it up on google maps and found out it was like 80 miles. That's the type of poo poo they'll look up for you.

Jeza posted:

Do you regret your life choices?

Do you feel bad for taking your grandmother's money to spend on drugs, other than the fact it makes it more difficult for you to take drugs again now you're out?

Why can't you spell your own mother's name?

What's the best and worst thing you've taken from prison as a person? i.e. you feel more confident than before, you find it hard to relate to others etc.

Oh, god yeah for sure. Being a felon is loving awful.

My grandparents have enough money to the point where the money I spent doesn't effect them, but I felt horrible lying to get the money. I actually used to pay people to call my family and ask for money for me. I really, really regret all that lying. I think a lot of people might read all that I've written and think I just use my family as an ATM. I am guilty of asking for tons of money, but it's not something I'm proud of. I'm really trying to stay clean off dope now that I'm out.

The best thing I take is my body. I used to be really fat when I was a lot younger, then I lost weight but was still in horrible shape. I'm not like those crossfit guys on TV but I look WAY different now. I'm hoping now that I have proper nutrition I'll be able to take it to the next level. Prison nutrition has an absolutely horrible ratio of carbs:protein.

The worst is the mild social anxiety I have no. It's weird, you'd think being in prison would get rid of something like that. In prison you're surrounded by TONS of people 24/7, you're never alone. When I go to the gym I get anxiety now though. I'm constantly looking around. It sucks and I hope I get over it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Valuum posted:

Uh they weren't beating this dude's rear end for nothing. IIRC every fight he got into was over talking reckless. You can't just call a guy a "bitch" in prison and expect to get away with it. Maybe I wasn't very clear but I don't see how that's torture. The comedy in it was that he would constantly get into fights (that were 100% his fault) all of which he'd lose. I actually re-read my post and I kinda see where you're coming from. To be clear Crackin' was trolling for fights almost constantly and always lose, that's why people made fun of him so bad. The other black dudes also thought the fact a small white kid beat him in a fight was hilarious too.
Ok, I guess that makes it kinda different than if they were just beating him bloody for the hell of it. Seeing an annoying loudmouth get his comeuppance is probably funny to anyone. Sorry for being judgmental, bad personal experiences, makes me a bit knee-jerky about that kind of thing.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Ok, I guess that makes it kinda different than if they were just beating him bloody for the hell of it. Seeing an annoying loudmouth get his comeuppance is probably funny to anyone. Sorry for being judgmental, bad personal experiences, makes me a bit knee-jerky about that kind of thing.

It's straight. Generally poo poo that's really twisted is frowned upon. There was this retarded guy, that was for some reason in regular prison named Roger. Well some super old predator tricked Roger into licking peanut butter off his dick or something although he was caught he got off of it. Same predator was creeping on a cubie of mine that was not really all there (although he wasn't straight up retarded like Roger). I'm walking back to the unit one day and the old predator is laying in the snow, someone knocked him the gently caress out.

It's really weird to me that people have enough decency to frown upon poo poo like that, yet it's OK for a 250lb gang affiliated guy to steal from a 120lb young white kid. As if that young white kid has any chance of a fair fight against the other guy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Did you guys ever watch prison movies like The Shawshank Redemption, or any violent movies? How filtered were the TVs?

All right, I'll be the one to ask, but other than drugs, what else gets smuggled in? Are cigarettes a big deal at all, or does everyone go for crack, go big or go home style? Do the detention officers look the other way when it comes to stuff like porn?

What was the oldest guy in your area? The youngest?

Were chomos the bottom of the ladder? I know (my friend was a probation officer for sex offenders for a decade or so) that chomos have their own levels; if you rape an adult, you're levels above the guy who rapes the kid, or who rapes babies or the elderly or the handicapped. Pissing outside barely counts when your therapy circle friend anally rapped a toddler.

You already mentioned the prison rape and the openly gay men in prison; were they picked on or beaten any more or less than the standard prisoner? If there was some guy raping other inmates, would he be dealt with by the other prisoners or did the victim 'deserve it cause he's weak?'

What's the best and worst excuse you ever heard why someone was in the joint?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Valuum posted:

It's straight. Generally poo poo that's really twisted is frowned upon. There was this retarded guy, that was for some reason in regular prison named Roger. Well some super old predator tricked Roger into licking peanut butter off his dick or something although he was caught he got off of it. Same predator was creeping on a cubie of mine that was not really all there (although he wasn't straight up retarded like Roger). I'm walking back to the unit one day and the old predator is laying in the snow, someone knocked him the gently caress out.

It's really weird to me that people have enough decency to frown upon poo poo like that, yet it's OK for a 250lb gang affiliated guy to steal from a 120lb young white kid. As if that young white kid has any chance of a fair fight against the other guy.
Some psychologist I read once said that it had something to do with people defining themselves more by where they draw the line than by what they actually do. There are a lot more moral rules that go "you shall not" than "you shall." Sure, you steal for a living, but as bad as that makes you, at least you know there are still people below you.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did you guys ever watch prison movies like The Shawshank Redemption, or any violent movies? How filtered were the TVs?

All right, I'll be the one to ask, but other than drugs, what else gets smuggled in? Are cigarettes a big deal at all, or does everyone go for crack, go big or go home style? Do the detention officers look the other way when it comes to stuff like porn?

What was the oldest guy in your area? The youngest?

Were chomos the bottom of the ladder? I know (my friend was a probation officer for sex offenders for a decade or so) that chomos have their own levels; if you rape an adult, you're levels above the guy who rapes the kid, or who rapes babies or the elderly or the handicapped. Pissing outside barely counts when your therapy circle friend anally rapped a toddler.

You already mentioned the prison rape and the openly gay men in prison; were they picked on or beaten any more or less than the standard prisoner? If there was some guy raping other inmates, would he be dealt with by the other prisoners or did the victim 'deserve it cause he's weak?'

What's the best and worst excuse you ever heard why someone was in the joint?

The TV is totally unfiltered cable. Although back in the day they used to filter Prison Break! I heard they purposely filter SpikeTV because of "Gangland" I can't confirm that though. I think the provider just might not have had SpikeTV.

The compound was flooded with cigarettes. poo poo like weed, suboxone, and cigs are real popular because the cost of entry is low enough that most of the compound can indulge. It's not like heroin where you need someone willing to wire $100s of dollars. Technically you aren't supposed to have porn but most COs look away.

The oldest guy? I don't know maybe somewhere in their 70s. The youngest? Maybe 20. I always thought once you turn 18 you're now longer in juvenile but I think I might be slightly wrong. I've never seen an 18 year old in prison, I don't think I saw a 19 year old either.

Haha, yeah there is a chomo ladder. The top are the young kids that are in there for Romeo and Juliet (Chomeo and Juliet) which is like a 19 year old loving a 15 year old. It basically works like how you said though.

Picking on gay dudes (aka "Sissies) is a very noob mistake. It seems like all those dudes are in there for violent crimes and they're crazy as gently caress. I saw a dude wearing modified skin tight state pants, with a shoelace weave in his hair, beat the living gently caress out of a guy. My homeboy Mike was openly gay (although he didn't associate with the "Sissy" group) and he didn't get tons of poo poo. I got tons of poo poo for hanging out with him but he was my homeboy, ya know? He was one of the few educated and articulate people in there so we hit it off. He said the worst part was that every closet case black dude assumes that because you're gay it means you're down to gently caress anyone, anytime, anyplace. We use to walk the yard and he'd point out people that propositioned him or pulled their dick out at him (extremely common) and it was guys you'd never think. It was the same guys that would clown on him when they were with their homeboys.

If someone was running around raping people they'd get rode out. People tell in prison over anything so he'd be on the polices radar quick. He might not be the victim of vigilante justice but I doubt people would be friends with him. People would view it as weird/gay as opposed to morally wrong.

Best excuse? Well my homeboy Jimmy had a pretty legit one. His friend's girlfriend asked him to drive down to Detroit to score her some pills. She gave him her car and a bunch of money. He drives it down to Detroit and gets robbed and kidnapped. The girl who wanted the pills assume he ripped her off and is on a crack binge. She reports the car stolen (even though she gave it to him). Eventually the dopeman makes my friend Jimmy drive somewhere in said car with a gun pointed at him and they get pulled over. They arrest Jimmy for car theft. Before he can prove his innocence they send him to prison. He got the text messages subpoenaed (the girl was texting him the whole time "Where are my pills" etc) and had all but one of his charges dismissed. The one that wasn't dismissed was in another county, and he can beat that one too (it's basically the same thing). The problem is the courts are slow as gently caress. He realized he's got a better chance going to the parole board and saying he did it and hoping for mercy. The hosed up thing is if you go in front of the parole board and present them with evidence that you didn't commit the crime, they will flop you no matter what. I had a homeboy who caught a robbery case on parole, was proven innocent, and the parole board flopped him because he "didn't take responsibility". WTF?! He was proven innocent!

The typical excuse is "someone snitched on me". I remember one guy who robbed a store said the clerk "snitched on him". I thought that was funny.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Some psychologist I read once said that it had something to do with people defining themselves more by where they draw the line than by what they actually do. There are a lot more moral rules that go "you shall not" than "you shall." Sure, you steal for a living, but as bad as that makes you, at least you know there are still people below you.

Yeah that's prison ideology for you. People tend to look down upon drug users too. People think that robbing a gas station out of pure greed is somehow more noble than robbing a gas station because you're dopesick. I remember one guy saying "Man I didn't rape that bitch on no sexual poo poo, I did it on that disrespect tip!" as if that totally separated him from the other rapists.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Is there a fair amount of otherwise straight guys flopping their dick out for another guy to suck just because they've been in for 6 months and haven't had anything sexual in that time?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

photomikey posted:

Is there a fair amount of otherwise straight guys flopping their dick out for another guy to suck just because they've been in for 6 months and haven't had anything sexual in that time?

Eh, yeah they call it "gay for the stay". A big joke is "It's not gay after 4 years, after that it's just "doin' a bit"". I remember a dude that was doing like 25 years that said he wasn't gay but he had just been down too long.

People that were in level 2, which is filled with people that are either A) have 4+ years remaining or B) are doing life, say that there's tons of homosexual activity in level 2. When people realize they're never going home I guess their perspective changes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
This thread is pretty drat awesome, so thanks too!

What are some of the other jobs inmates can do to earn money the legal way? You mentioned there's a poo poo detail, how much did a tutor get paid, and what did they typically teach?

Did you get any transfers from other prisons that resulted in some major fights going down?

You mentioned Sons of Anarchy, was something like Breaking Bad or the Walking Dead allowed too? What was the general favorite shows?

Were there visits set up for family members where kids were involved? Were there ever any stings/someone got busted smuggling poo poo in when kids were watching?

What was the highest criminal on the totem pole, so to speak, there?

What was the worst fight ever?

Were there any trades or crafting you guys could do? I know poo poo involving blades would be out, but general drawing and art? What was the best and worst tattoo you saw there, especially getting done?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

This thread is pretty drat awesome, so thanks too!

What are some of the other jobs inmates can do to earn money the legal way? You mentioned there's a poo poo detail, how much did a tutor get paid, and what did they typically teach?

Did you get any transfers from other prisons that resulted in some major fights going down?

You mentioned Sons of Anarchy, was something like Breaking Bad or the Walking Dead allowed too? What was the general favorite shows?

Were there visits set up for family members where kids were involved? Were there ever any stings/someone got busted smuggling poo poo in when kids were watching?

What was the highest criminal on the totem pole, so to speak, there?

What was the worst fight ever?

Were there any trades or crafting you guys could do? I know poo poo involving blades would be out, but general drawing and art? What was the best and worst tattoo you saw there, especially getting done?

Yeah there's tons of jobs, the main ones are yard crew (mowing, shoveling snow, etc), chow hall (serving, cooking, etc), and porters (janitor). There's unit porters, school porters, administration porters, etc. Then there's gatepass, if you meet the very specific requirements you get to leave the actual prison and work. Usually it's just being a porter over at the MDOC hospital, although some people work in like forestry and welding. Tutors made about as much as you can make, which is like $30 a month. They were basically teachers assistants and helped run a GED class.

Yeah people ride in who have snitched on people, owe money etc. Sometimes someone rides in and sees an old enemy.

Yeah you can watch anything on cable, they just blocked Prison Break back in the day. People loved Breaking Bad. I remember when the Aryan Brotherhood shot Hank the whole unit erupted in cheering. The Strain was popular, Sons was really popular too. People told me though The Shield was the biggest prison-popular show back in the day though. Typically it's shows about crime though. Oh yeah, and Love and Hip Hop/Basketball Wives.

You just sit with your kids at a table. Yeah they bust people right in front of their kids, they don't care. They walk up to the suspect and try to handcuff them. They almost always fight back though and it turns into a big clusterfuck where everyone in the visiting room is silent.

The highest ranking criminal would probably be a gang leader in for a violent crime, or black Muslim dudes with 20+ years under their belt.

I saw a guy get his throat sliced open with a piece of a can from the chow hall. I can't believe the dude didn't die. I didn't really know what that one was about. I think dude was claiming to be AB when he wasn't, and in reality he had a sex crime. I'm not sure though. Some of the Aryan Nation guys I knew stomped a guy half to deaf, that's was probably the worst. Stomping someone out is a lot worse than getting stabbed or hit with a lock.

There's tons of hobbycraft, you can get all kinds of art supplies. People do portraits for money, make cases for MP3 players, repair electronics with homemade soldering guns, etc.

EDIT: Also anything with Kevin Hart is guaranteed to turn the unit into a nut house.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Would you hang out with a cybercriminal clique, if there was one?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Would you hang out with a cybercriminal clique, if there was one?

Not really many cyber criminals in MI prisons, I bet most cyber crimes are gonna send you to a federal joint as opposed to a state one. Would I hang out with them? Depends, not if they were in there for child porn.

There was another guy that was ordering bulk bath salt type drugs and selling him, I was cool with him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Valuum posted:

The typical excuse is "someone snitched on me". I remember one guy who robbed a store said the clerk "snitched on him". I thought that was funny.

That is pretty funny.

How were the rehabilitation programs? Do you know anyone who learned employable skills while they were in? Anyone who managed to land a job from them?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

That is pretty funny.

How were the rehabilitation programs? Do you know anyone who learned employable skills while they were in? Anyone who managed to land a job from them?

The rehabilitation programs were a joke. You can take CMT (Custodial maintenance training) and get some certificate that they use in the real world. I think certain joints have like metal shops and poo poo. You can take college classes too.

They have this program called "Change for Life" that has it's own dorms. It's just basically like a strict unit where everyone tells on each other. The CFL program kinda reminds me of one of those "positive thinking" cults or something. Anyways some dude that was super heavy into CFL for years got out and got a job with the program. That's like a one in a million thing though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
How did you wind up with 13 counts of delivery? Did they search your computer or had they been watching you a while?

You said that the recipient of your last package mailed out was asked to sign even though you opted to waive the signature; Do you think the cops knew about this package before this point and were trying to make a controlled delivery?

Did you ever run into any convicts that were ex-law enforcement/probation/etc? Did they fare worse for it?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 3, 2014

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

How did you wind up with 13 counts of delivery? Did they search your computer or had they been watching you a while?

You said that the recipient of your last package mailed out was asked to sign even though you opted to waive the signature; Do you think the cops knew about this package before this point and were trying to make a controlled delivery?

Did you ever run into any convicts that were ex-law enforcement/probation/etc? Did they fare worse for it?

Well there was the 1 original shipment of coke, then something like 8 packages that had either weed, oxy, or both. If they had both that was 2 charges. I don't think they knew about the package before this point.

A guy I was in county with used to be a CO at a level 4 prison. He ended up getting like 10 years so he's gonna be doing time in a level 4. I'm sure it all depends on you handle yourself. Most people are really gonna dislike any ex-police. Prison COs for the most part aren't that bad, they're just getting a paycheck.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
On probation/parole, with a felony on your record, is it possible to get out and get any kind of job ever, or are you stuck with a life of washing dishes under the table and stealing to survive?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

photomikey posted:

On probation/parole, with a felony on your record, is it possible to get out and get any kind of job ever, or are you stuck with a life of washing dishes under the table and stealing to survive?

I only have one felony so I can actually get it expunged when I finish parole. My family owns a tool and die shop that makes parts for GM, aerospace poo poo for the government, and other stuff. So I've always worked there on and off since I was 18. I'm really lucky in that respect.

A lot of people with felonies get into construction or cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Valuum posted:

A lot of people with felonies get into construction or cooking.

How do you feel about ex-convicts getting judged for the poo poo that they did? I was working on a project with a business, and they found out one of the guys they'd hired had been convicted of sending a picture of himself masturbating to 12- and 13-year-old sisters, and then asking them for nude photos and (unconfirmed) propositioning them for sex (he was 24 at the time). I'm a fairly open-minded guy, but as much as I believe people deserve a second chance, I wouldn't want to work with a guy who thought that was okay. I think the chomo aspect has a lot to do with it for me, personally, because I'd have no problem working with a guy that did time for robbery or assault or even manslaughter, as long as I figured he was rehabilitated*.

* Also, I reckon this guy wasn't rehabilitated. He might have stopped going after kids, but he was still a total creepy motherfucker to women in general, and it totally made sense when I found out he'd done time for being a sexual predator.

• Locked thread