Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
drat! Just lost on level 12 to some dumb mistakes. I had the elevator revealed but didn't have enough dust to light the path there so I was exploring to find more. Ended up biting off more than I could handle, especially cause I was down to 3 heroes, and my crystal got taken out. Should have just made a run for it while I had the chance.

My favourite elevator dialogue: "Haven't killed anything in a few minutes... Feels weird."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Opening more stuff to power up a better path to the end isn't a dumb mistake. Especially late in the game, trying to shoot your way through too many dark rooms with a crystal-bearer is suicide. Also consider that when you pick up the crystal, every door will start to open, so you might have far far more poo poo filing in from beside/beyond the exit.

Although when spawning waves start making it to your crystal, and you've built up as much turret as you can, it's probably time to risk it. That's when you pull out the Emergency Generators.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I got a fun plot with The YELLING NURSE and the Warden

The no heal after completion run is really tough. I thought that having characters like the NURSE would help but they even disabled passive healing from abilities. The only thing that works is the medkit and I never got any healing modules.

I did make it to floor 9 though despite all that!

As much as I dislike the Infirmary pod, it's all about Maximum Food Production.

The Chef is a pretty good choice for your combat hero on that run - he innately has the -cost to heal thing and is generally pretty solid, as another goon posted a page or two ago.

Just narrowly failed to squeak by on a Sanitary Pod run. Had the exit exposed on floor 12, but didn't have either the dust to light to it or Emergency Generators researched (and I had my usual Giant Pile of Industry, so that alone would have done the trick :argh:). Also, I was down two heroes, as a result of a floor 11 death spiral related to Rakya getting exploded during a brief moment of inattention.

I still might very well have made it, but an EMP pulse took out my two chokepoint defense rooms, and even spamming Elise's bombs wasn't enough to save me through enough doors to get them back online.

Elise and Rakya are now my favored starting pair. Slightly slower resource ramp than Elise and Josh, but Rakya can hold chokepoints pretty easily solo until real late in the game.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 6, 2014

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As much as I dislike the Infirmary pod, it's all about Maximum Food Production.

The Chef is a pretty good choice for your combat hero on that run - he innately has the -cost to heal thing and is generally pretty solid, as another goon posted a page or two ago.

I had Chef and Warden for most of it. I guess I should've tried rushing for some sort of minor module healing effects. It was pretty easy right up until the suicide guys and module destroyers. I was pretty unlucky in that I researched something huge then had the science artifact get smashed by a crystal thug, losing 100 science. That was probably the biggest failure.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I lost my best run to I don't even know? It was a normal wave of baddies it seemed, except I took them all down to almost no health, but they wouldn't die. A single wave wiped out my full group and I didn't even kill one. Was this a bug?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I lost my best run to I don't even know? It was a normal wave of baddies it seemed, except I took them all down to almost no health, but they wouldn't die. A single wave wiped out my full group and I didn't even kill one. Was this a bug?

There is one type of monster that hides and just gets bigger and stronger and, I think, buffs every other monster the longer it's there.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
drat, lost my best run so far. Started with Max and Hikensha. I was planning on getting a bunch of free science to spam fully powered KIP cannons (which worked out decently, I had ~600 unspent science when I lost). Picked up Nurse Deena, the spider girl (died after two floors), Sara (also died after a couple floors, but I proceed to find two more Sara on the next floor), Rayka (didn't survive the same floor), and Elise (killed within opening two doors). There was a chronic shortage of good weapon (in fact, the only person with actual weapon was Max with a purple peashooter found on the 9th floor). There were a lot of SMGs thogh, too bad both heroes that could use SMG didn't even survive the floor they were found.

I got to the 10th floor with 460 industry, feeling pretty good. But there just wasn't enough dust and I ran out of food and industry after opening around 10 doors with only 40 dust (I even have an operator on a generator) and have to spam those emergency generators just to keep unpowered room at reasonable number. Doesn't help that I keep getting rooms with only two minor module slots next to the crystal, giving me no good choke point to defend with. My mobile heroes (Max and the necrophage musketeer guy) couldn't do poo poo to a late stage chimera keeper and I had to spend around 200 food on heal to kill one. I could probably beat the floor if I spam red plume with my massive science reserve but it was late and one slip up three of my heroes were killed in a massive kamikaze explosion so I just let the run end.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
There are things you can operate for dust? The only thing I remember seeing was the shop, and my 12 wit character would produce 2 a turn. It was almost pointless :S

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

There are things you can operate for dust? The only thing I remember seeing was the shop, and my 12 wit character would produce 2 a turn. It was almost pointless :S

2 a turn adds up fast, that is a free room every five doors. You can operate emergency generators too, but they increase the chance of enemies dropping dust as loot.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Speedball posted:

2 a turn adds up fast, that is a free room every five doors. You can operate emergency generators too, but they increase the chance of enemies dropping dust as loot.

Indeed, I'll take 2 dust income over however much FIDS bonus the same operator can grant any day in the last few floors.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Finally managed to escape on very easy after four tries on easy. Got incredibly lucky on the last floor, met a dust merchant and sold all excess gear and went from 66 dust to 250!

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

mirarant posted:

Finally managed to escape on very easy after four tries on easy. Got incredibly lucky on the last floor, met a dust merchant and sold all excess gear and went from 66 dust to 250!

The lack of dust on the last 2 floors are what's really killing me. Even with IV Kips, the damage just isn't high enough to handle the kamakazis. I should probably just put it on Very Easy since this No healing run is extremely difficult.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I need some sort of difficulty between very easy and easy. Very easy is a bit too straightforward, but having 18 dust after opening 15 doors on floor 12 is just painful :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There needs to be some kind of emergency small module generator. Say, you need to construct...four of 'em in a room to power the room and make the large module function.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Sanitary pod, complete! :toot:

On very easy.

Emergency generators are, in fact, your friend on the last two floors.

Alya
Apr 30, 2008
There's a post on the dev blog regarding the next few updates for DotE:
http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/content.php?503-DotE-What-s-Coming-Next

quote:

Hey everyone,

We gather every day more and more feedback to improve Dungeon of the Endless and are really thankful for it. In this blog post, we wanted to let you know what we are working on at the moment, for the next patch, but also what we plan for the upcoming weeks as well, in terms of short term priorities.

The Next Update

We've had several reports on the Endless Legend Emperor/Founder bonus missing in Dungeon of the Endless. We once again sincerely apologise for the inconvenience: we already fixed this issue but while other improvements are being tested by our QA team, we thought we'd rather wait before releasing a patch. Something new as well, to make it slightly more obvious, we decided to unlock automatically the Founder heroes: Josh (DotE Founder) and Kreyang (EL Emperor [ex-Founder]).

Endless Legend Emperor pack unlocks (Kreyang, Refreezerator)
New resolution options
Windowed mode
Heroes groups shortcut
First version of auto-save in case of crashes (solo)
Three G2G achievements
Chat in game over and victory panels
Fixed several issues with items duplicating and merchant
Fixed several issues with multiplayer (and regional filters in the lobby)
Fixed several issues with environments and lights

We’re still waiting for the approval of our QA team and VIPs before releasing this, but we're sure it will be available soon (next week, hopefully).

Short Term Priorities

Here's a short list of improvements you should expect to see in DotE in the next few weeks:

Exchange items in Multiplayer mode
Set private games in Multiplayer mode
Ability to rebind keys (could fixes problem with special keyboard like mac)
G2G spaceship: the Bio-Organic Pod

Have a nice weekend!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't actually realize that Josh was a preorder-or-whatever hero. Guess I got in early enough!

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
This game is really fun! I hope they implement a way to reload a game into the multiplayer lobby, as about half the games I play have someone disconnect before we win.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Yeah multiplayer is kind of broken right now. It's pretty easy for someone to drop and the game suddenly becomes harder.

I just beat the Armory Pod with Sarah, Golgy, Rakya, and Gork.
losing a hero on the elevator really hurts in that mode

I decided to keep on trucking even though I lost one of the guys and just beelined for the exit as soon as it appeared. Sarah maxed out with a 2 speed items can outrun 99% of the monsters on any floor. I know someone mentioned that she's kind of meh but good god her speed is amazing and she slows down monsters! I actually cleared it basically because of her since she can outrun so much poo poo.

I even spirited though a bunch of unlit rooms for the exit! Easily the fastest easiest run I've had.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah, the final run is really where Sara shines. Her speed is simply crazy good for carrying the crystal. I also used her a lot for little things that require moving around a lot, like researching stuff and a repairperson. Her Neurostun Lite stacks with the Neurostun modules, too, basically slowing enemies to a crawl.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sara's great for rushing through all your rooms to repair all your stuff, yeah.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Just got kicked for too much latency because I hilariously picked up the crystal as the warden. Too many enemies spawned and I lagged out three rooms from the exit with the crystal, luckily one of my friends had the spare 250 food to rehire my guy and keep moving the crystal, because otherwise...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Matrim posted:

Just got kicked for too much latency because I hilariously picked up the crystal as the warden. Too many enemies spawned and I lagged out three rooms from the exit with the crystal, luckily one of my friends had the spare 250 food to rehire my guy and keep moving the crystal, because otherwise...

The Warden is actually a great crystal runner if and only if you level him a bit. He gets a pretty gigantic speed boost from having buddies in the room, and at lv13 is actually one of the fastest characters if he has a buddy to push him!

He was my crystal carrier on my only winning Sanitary run to date.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So uh, are we exploring a crashed prison ship, or ancient alien ruins? It kinda seems like almost entirely ancient alien ruins but the layout is apparently determined by the ship you crashed on, as well as all the loot and poo poo being from the prison ship?

Am I thinking too hard about this?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

So uh, are we exploring a crashed prison ship, or ancient alien ruins? It kinda seems like almost entirely ancient alien ruins but the layout is apparently determined by the ship you crashed on, as well as all the loot and poo poo being from the prison ship?

Alien ruins. You crash into the facility and end up somewhere in the basement of the Endless super secret lab of horrors.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

You might be thinking too hard, but...

More like, the equipment you brought with you on the escape pod determines how you are able to make use of what you find. The crystal is different for every escape pod, right?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Dammit, my bounty hunter chick murdered Gork - and here they were such a good team together for exploring. At least it was her killing Gork and not vice versa, the bounty hunter's easily the most important hero I have, as if I hit sprint, grab the crystal, and click on the exit quickly she can usually get to the exit before anything has had a chance to do anything more than spawn and blink in confusion as our entire team is already on the next floor. And here there were all these recruitable heroes on that floor that they wouldn't let me recruit because I was full, too.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Warden is actually a great crystal runner if and only if you level him a bit. He gets a pretty gigantic speed boost from having buddies in the room, and at lv13 is actually one of the fastest characters if he has a buddy to push him!

He was my crystal carrier on my only winning Sanitary run to date.

Good to know, but it didn't help he was only level 4 at the time. Pushing made him about as fast as Gork walking.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So is there any consensus on which attack modules are worth leveling up? I keep waffling between them but ended up just putting tons of tear gas modules up, which is mediocre without a hero or a more offensive module to take advantage of the defense division. A lot of the modules seem to only be good at killing single targets, which seems dubious since it's almost always a giant death swarm instead of one or two big monsters. It'd be nice if there was a good combo that wouldn't need a hero sitting there to reliably block off a wave.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

1x stunner and 1x claymore for 2-slot room, 1x stunner, 1x tear gas, and (N-2)x claymore for bigger rooms.

You'll probably need at least two rooms without a major module (so the minors don't get damaged) to handle a wave completely without heroes, though.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Has anyone else had issues with text in the album being cut off? I noticed it happening for a few of the general page labels, like the one on non-humanoid enemies, but I thought that was purposeful until I unlocked the entry for the Dust Hunter chick and half of her text just goes right off the page.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
This game has a lot of issues in multiplayer: Items becoming unusable/untradable seemingly at random, creatures suddenly becoming momentarily indestructible, and of course the dreaded "players crashing between floors, taking all their precious resources/items with them" bugs.

Nonetheless, this game is a metric crap-ton of fun, and Gork is straight-up my favorite hero of the bunch, if only for the comedy value of trying to drive your speed stat as low as possible:

KEEP ON GORKIN'

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

With super-low speed Gork basically becomes some kind of immobile death turret. Plant him in an intersection and watch him make monsters die.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Speedball posted:

With super-low speed Gork basically becomes some kind of immobile death turret. Plant him in an intersection and watch him make monsters die.

I'm on maybe Floor 7 or 8 on my very first game ever on "Very Easy" and...the game seems VERY easy? Like, I have 200+ of every stock constantly, and the only hero I've lost was Sara Numas due to stupid Gork killing in her the elevator ;_;

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I'm on maybe Floor 7 or 8 on my very first game ever on "Very Easy" and...the game seems VERY easy? Like, I have 200+ of every stock constantly, and the only hero I've lost was Sara Numas due to stupid Gork killing in her the elevator ;_;

Very easy is not too tough except on the last few floors due to having very little dust.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Gork is pretty amazing late game though. Very Easy is only kind of hard in the beginning but if you're good about operating and getting lucky with upgrades then it becomes easy as hell near the end. All your guys can easily hit lvl 15. It's funny how well Sarah and Gork work together.

You should try Easy now!

edit:: Mulitplayer should be Very Easy unless your crew is amazing. That lack of pause killed us when we got two crystals that gave -50% to hero damage and forgot it also gave bonus to modules.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 12, 2014

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Mizi is so far below the curve I don't think I'm ever going to buy her again.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, one of the album photos explicitly calls one of the dungeon monsters Hurnas. I guess that would make the crystal people Silics?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does Samus ever win the fight in the elevator at the culmination of the chain? I've gone through it maybe four times, and Gork always wins. What I'm saying is that Gork is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does Samus ever win the fight in the elevator at the culmination of the chain? I've gone through it maybe four times, and Gork always wins. What I'm saying is that Gork is awesome.

Apparently Samus can win if she's stronger / way more leveled up than Gork.

• Locked thread