Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Zenithe posted:

Whats the deal with the part near the SA NT border? Why is that cooler than the entire area around it?
Doesn't really answer your question, but the climate zone map helps explain a bit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

webmeister posted:

This really needs to be a bit more complex
This Australian Bureau of Statistics document on Australian Deserts, Climatic Aspects of Australia's Deserts might have the answer:

quote:

The Australian desert region using the BoM classification scheme is shown in map S1. This shows that desert climates (or arid areas) occupy most of the western and central interior of the continent. It also shows that some areas traditionally thought of as deserts are, in fact, semi-arid under this classification, notably the area around Alice Springs (Northern Territory) and the coastal fringe of the Nullarbor Plain (Western and South Australia). Both these areas are cooler than surrounding regions (Alice Springs because of its high elevation, the Nullarbor because of its proximity to the moderating influence of the coast), and around Alice Springs the mountains also play a role in increasing rainfall relative to the surrounding plains.

quote:

While the coldest air masses to affect the desert are usually far too dry for any precipitation by the time they get there, very occasionally, snow flurries may fall in a few parts of the region. Snow was observed falling at Uluru (Ayers Rock), in the Northern Territory, in July 1997 and east of Norseman (Western Australia) in June 2005, and probably occurs more frequently (possibly a couple of times per decade) on the highest peaks of the MacDonnell (Northern Territory) and Musgrave Ranges (northern South Australia) (image S6). On the southernmost fringe of the desert, the higher parts of the Flinders Ranges get snow heavy enough to settle once or twice per decade, with a particularly significant fall occurring, somewhat out of season, in October 1995.
The MacDonnell and Musgrave ranges are found here:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Freudian Slip posted:

That would be pretty cool if it weren't for the Fairfax Ipsos poll showing 51-49 to Labor

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...102-11fraj.html

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

:hfive:

Which ones are the Greens? I already filled out my ballot :ohdear:
There is one running in Wine Coast Ward and Mid South Coast Ward. By the way, we're planning to have another SA Young Greens drinks on the 17th if you want to meet other goons, will post more details soon.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

Ah, I'm in Thalassa ward. How young is young these days?
We're classified as under 30, which tends to capture the majority of us on here - but maybe we should do a separate Adelaide Goon Meet, there are quite a few of you that we still haven't met from here. The End of Year SA Greens party is happening early December too which should be a fun night, last year was where I met a few goons beforehand for the first time at Nandos.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quantum Mechanic posted:

What about Simms?
Yeah, he got in! I guess Yarwood not being there will help boost his profile as a strong progressive voice to protect bike lanes and food trucks from the new Lord Mayor of Adelaide. A few others from the SA Greens got in too so it will be very exciting times for sure!

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quantum Mechanic posted:

If I have to hear one more screed about how offensive our lack of trust in our MPs is or how haaaaard she and her staffers work and how we all don't understand Parliament and that's why we need expert leadership and a strong Party Room voice at Conference and Council I'mma pitch her out a window.
To be fair, a few of us were joking towards the end about having a drinking game where you take a drink whenever NSW mention proportionality or grassroots democracy.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quasimango posted:

This is my ignorant/ cliched idea of each of the state Green parties:

NSW Greens: ex-communists
Victoria Greens: latte sipping/craft beer swilling hipsters
Queensland Greens: anti-GMO, anti vax, anti fluoride hippies
Tasmania Greens: tree-huggers
WA Greens: Scott Ludlam personality cult
SA Greens: um...something Sarah Hanson-Young
NT Greens: lol
Judging from the state delegations at National Conference a few days ago, SA Greens are the ultra-chill state. A few of our positions on various proposals included 'just go with the flow on the day'. The rest of your cliched ideas seem fairly accurate, although I could be proven wrong.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Senor Tron posted:

You couldn't make that up. The only thing better would be if there were photos of her sombrely gazing upon the "memorial".
Makes sense though, many conservative journalists want to pay tribute to the original sewer vent.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Been following the betting odds for the upcoming Victorian State Election lately and have recently noticed the odds for a few seats shortening:

28/10
Brunswick: Labor 1.15 Greens 7.00 Coalition 12.00
Melbourne: Labor 1.40 Greens 3.50 Coalition 10.00
Richmond: Labor 1.17 Greens 6.50 Coalition 11.00

11/11
Brunswick: Labor 1.15 Greens 7.00 Coalition 12.00
Melbourne: Labor 1.50 Greens 3.00 Coalition 10.00
Richmond: Labor 1.20 Greens 5.50 Coalition 11.00

13/11
Brunswick: Labor 1.10 Greens 9.00 Coalition 14.00
Melbourne: Labor 1.40 Greens 2.75 Coalition 21.00
Richmond: Labor 1.14 Greens 5.00 Coalition 16.00

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The Labor candidate in my electorate sent me a friend request on Facebook :psyduck:

(for those playing at home I'm running for the Greens)
It would be good to have a Goon-trip to your electorate to help you out on election day - if I'm not overseas for a friend's wedding, I'd be keen to come over.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

@GhostWhoVotes posted:

#Newspoll 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 45 (-1) ALP 55 (+1) #auspol

@kevinbonham posted:

Largest primary lead for ALP over L-NP (3 pts) since Gillard honeymoon July 2010, before that March 2010.
Also paired with this:

Arse posted:

Business leaders’ confidence in the Abbott government has slumped to the lowest level since the Coalition won power, with almost two-thirds seeing no benefit in scrapping the carbon tax. The Director Sentiment Index fell 7.1 points during the second half of 2014 to minus 29, the same level as when Julia Gillard was an unpopular Labor prime minister in early 2013.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

quote:

Vladimir Putin has left the G20 summit citing a need to catch up on sleep, after the Kremlin played down reports the Russian President was leaving due to the frosty reception awarded to him by other world leaders over Ukraine.

Mr Putin said the trip home would take 18 hours and he needs at least four hours' sleep before returning to work on Monday.

The Russian leader said he explained his reasons to his Australian host, Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who, he said, responded with: "No problem."

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Gough Suppressant posted:

Did someone say war against indigenous people?
You know your policy is bad when an article reporting it contains the crisis support service phone numbers of three different countries at the end.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
ABC news reports that Jacqui Lambie is no longer Deputy Senate Leader of the PUP after failing to attend party meetings.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Fruity Gordo posted:

Wait so is everyone doing Hockey as Shrek now or did Knight just flagrantly rip off Pope in isolation?
Pope himself addresses this question

quote:

The resemblance was noted elsewhere before the cartoons. On TV I think.
It was noted on TV in 2007

And here is a Pope cartoon from 2009:

That being said, Knight also did Cormann as the Terminator which could be another rip-off from elsewhere, probably Pope as well:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Eyespy posted:

From a few pages back, but is there any easy way to debunk this horseshit? One of my co-workers will not shut up about it.

Oh and it just so happens that George Christensen is our parliamentary rep too. :sigh:
It's as likely to happen as gluten-free certification funding grassroots ecoterrorism. Otherwise let him know George's salary is probably funding various forms of terrorism too and if he is not a fan of funds being used to promote religion, he should focus his attention on Sanitarium.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Pig in the City posted:

i've been writing a bunch of stuff for SBS Comedy about auspol. most of it trash. all of it trash.
but if anyone's interested in checking it out sometime it's at:
http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/person/backburner
drat, you and Chicken Parmigiana need to team up and pump out a quality AusPol comic series.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

In the Fisher by-election here next week the favourite to win is the Liberal candidate, a staffer from the office of shadow minister Duncan McFetridge who unsuccessfully ran for the seat of Elder in 2002, was one of 8 ignored in favour of parachuting Work Choices architect Jamie Briggs into Downer's safe federal seat, and lost a preselection battle to run for the seat of Mawson in 2009.

Because it's all about locals representing their community.

The only marginal positive is that she's not from the right faction, the Liberal members in the area finally and belatedly telling Iain Evans and his cavalcade of allstar ultra conservative disciples to gently caress off.
I checked out #fisher on Twitter and saw this tweet about one of the candidates:

Michael Atkinson decides to respond:

One article states he was a member of the Labor Party, from about 2006 to 2008, but said he would not consider joining forces with either Labor or the Liberals in Parliament.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Haters Objector posted:

Have you resigned yet and if not why not?

Anidav posted:

Until I have actual friends in the Queensland Greens, which I don't.
Reminds me of this...

I remember being at a Greens state meeting where someone was complaining that there wasn't a Greens group at his local uni - I was very tempted to state that when I joined there wasn't an active Young Greens group, so I actually got up and helped start it up again.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Nuclear Spy posted:

I checked out #fisher on Twitter and saw this tweet about one of the candidates:

Follow up to this - a number of candidates for this by-election were interviewed on radio this morning. I am good friends with the Greens candidate and while she absolutely smashed the interview, the independent candidate went a bit crazy. In the end it was revealed that despite running on the platform of continuing the legacy of Bob Such, the independent candidate who passed away that triggered this by-election, he doesn't necessarily agree with Such's policies (on euthanasia, marriage equality etc.) but believes the electorate will vote for him for the sake of having another independent representing the area.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

NTRabbit posted:

Stephen Marshall was apparently up and down my street handing out how to vote cards and having a chat with residents about Heidi Harris today. Wish I'd been about.

I'm voting for the Green candidate. Will be interesting to see if she improves on her primary from the main election, but really on a hiding to nothing in an electorate filled with retirement villages.
I have been given the task of Poll Booth Captain at one of the polling booths for the by-election, which happens the day after the End of Year Christmas Party. It'll mark one year since I met a handful of goons for the first time at Nandos... I'm expecting to see some new goons there too this time :tipshat:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Double posting, but during my news archiving I came across this quote:

quote:

During a campaign event, there was an awkward hug between Mr Abbott and Mr Napthine that prompted one of the Victorian Premier’s staffers to say, “Oh s---’’, in front of reporters, a moment that was recorded on a journalist’s tape recorder.

The Welfare Lobby posted:

I'm a polling booth captain too; have you got many other people on yours?

It looks like it might just be me all on my lonesome for the whole day. :(
No idea, I just got the call up, and that's all I know so far! Adelaide branch did a phone bank tonight so I'm sure they'll fill up before next weekend.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

I, Butthole posted:

From The Guardian Liveblog, from the Coalition party room on the ABC. Bold it all
I want to see this clip

quote:

Shorten to Abbott: Somebody was on SBS saying there will be no cuts to the ABC and SBS. Who was that?

Of course I made that statement, says Abbott, to loud applause from Labor.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Murodese posted:

I wonder if they're actually aware of what's happening at the moment
If she's not aware, she will be when she checks the comments to her Facebook post

Last time this happened on Abbott's Facebook page shortly before the Federal Election, Sigsmund posted this on his blog, along with some data mining work by Murodese and some not so professional spreadsheet work by myself.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Nuclear Spy posted:

I, Butthole posted:

From The Guardian Liveblog, from the Coalition party room on the ABC. Bold it all
I want to see this clip

quote:

Shorten to Abbott: Somebody was on SBS saying there will be no cuts to the ABC and SBS. Who was that?

Of course I made that statement, says Abbott, to loud applause from Labor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83d92jfNZw

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Ler posted:

Brandis refusing to answer Greens senator Penny Wright on terror law questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZyoUaWKzg
Just went through the Facebook comments on the Australian Greens post of this video - 193 comments and I cannot find a single negative one, not even a troll.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

adamantium|wang posted:

I've never been to SS before. There is something deeply, deeply wrong with these people :stare:
Apparently their last post was back in September, so maybe they couldn't be bothered any more. I had a look one day, didn't find any mentions of my username - I guess not playing Steam makes it harder to calculate how much time you waste online.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I grew up amongst the cuntry, about two hours inland of Perth. Moved to Brisbane when I was 13; Sydney in my mid-20s; then to Shizuoka, then Melbourne, then Tokyo, then Melbourne again, now Utsunomiya. So until recently it's been a series of upgrades, more-or-less.

Country Australians are racist, boring rednecks, ignorant of the wider world; city Australians are elitist, tiresome wankers, ignorant of the country. (City's heaps better though.)

The Four Yorkshiremen is originally a sketch from 'At Last the 1948 Show'; it became a Monty Python sketch when they started doing live shows, if I'm remembering right. So if you only watch the TV series you'll miss it totally, along with a lot of their more famous songs, etc.
Have you joined the Greens in Japan? - guess who is on their Facebook page:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Fruity Gordo posted:

I'm tempted to post the pic of you and Bags in the bath now to see if they develop a crush.
They will just end up calculating the number of hours we spend in steam baths. Besides, I'm sure there'll be plenty of content on social media sites that will inconveniently pop up once any of us goons manage to get elected.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Gorilla Salad posted:

There's a report (whose name escapes me at the moment) detailing from exactly where the government wanted the cuts to come. They have refused to make it public.

But consider the Abbott government for a moment. Where do you think they decided to cut first?
Cross-posted from a few posts I made on this topic on r/Australia:

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull says that “All of the savings can be found in operational efficiencies of the kind canvassed in the Peter Lewis efficiency study,’’. Who exactly is Peter Lewis? Mr Lewis is an experienced media executive who spent 15 years at Seven West Media. Greens Senator Scott Ludlam has ordered the Government to publish this secret review claiming it is grossly irresponsible for the Communications Minister to consider such cuts behind closed doors while claiming in public to be a “friend of the ABC”.

When/If the Lewis efficiency is revealed, we can make a clear judgement whether this Government-commissioned report highlighted that services to rural and regional towns should be removed as part of the suite of recommended cuts.

Oh, in other news...

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
I stumbled upon the real reason why the Coalition want to scale back the ABC:

(they also posted a photo of the increase in New Delhi Likes on Abbott's page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Anidav posted:

My Body is ready.
Thanks Ellen!

• Locked thread