Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

sassassin posted:

Imagine this United side with a back four of Evra, Vidic, Brown and O'Shea.

It would be p good op!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

sassassin posted:

Imagine this United side with a back four of Evra, Vidic, Brown and O'Shea.

Vidic has been an unmitigated disaster at Inter and United were right to get rid of him.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I get that, and I get that val gaal has to try to keep a lot of attackers happy, but if you dropped any top manager (other than Pep) into the current situation at Man Utd, I think they would tighten things up at the back and worry about scoring goals later.

Theres nothing to shore it up with. Everyone even remotely close to a defender is dead or an academy player.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gigi Galli posted:

Vidic has been an unmitigated disaster at Inter and United were right to get rid of him.

Imagine this United side with a back four of Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic and Neville.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

TheRat posted:

Theres nothing to shore it up with. Everyone even remotely close to a defender is dead or an academy player.

van Gaal still started Januzaj, who doesn't provide any defensive cover and had Rooney and Fellaini both playing like No 10s.

It was a very naive lineup and the scoreline could've easily been 4-0.

For example Mourinho would've done something like Shaw - Rojo - Smalling - Blind / Herrera - Carrick - Fellaini / Valencia - Rooney - di Maria

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
United's most senior fit defender is literal child Luke Shaw.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Most managers will play more defensively while their squad is new and unbalanced. Shouldn't van gaal consider doing the same since his attacking lineups aren't working?

United have only had acceptable results this season when they played their most attacking line-ups.

Van Gaal started with three at the back and got 2/9 points.
Then he switched to the diamond and got 9/12 points.
Last three games he's gone 4-2-3-1 and got 2/9 points again.

Three at the back was dumb as hell. The diamond was the best possible use of their current squad and he's hosed up again by not sticking with it.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 3, 2014

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
funny how he was playing the diamond and then one of its forwards was suspended for 3 games and the other injured along with one of the midfielders. really makes you wonder why he had to change it. can't fathom it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is mata injured or just poo poo?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chronicle is reporting that Obertan could be out for 5 months.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

excuse me lady posted:

funny how he was playing the diamond and then one of its forwards was suspended for 3 games and the other injured along with one of the midfielders. really makes you wonder why he had to change it. can't fathom it.

Rooney, Falcao, Herrera were replaced with Mata, Januzaj, Fellaini. All three would have been fine in the diamond.

He changed for 'tactical' reasons and got it wrong. Just like he did with the three at the back.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Have they said how long Rojo is out for daring to challenge Martin "The Argie Bull" Demichelis?

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
which one out of those 3 are you proposing to play up front with Van Persie??

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

excuse me lady posted:

which one out of those 3 are you proposing to play up front with Van Persie??

Januzaj.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Lot 49 posted:

Januzaj.

lol

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
He's really good upfront. Wilson would have also have been cool though.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Even if he had persisted with the diamond I don't think it's too outlandish to suggest that you couldn't guarantee its continued effectiveness with 3 of the key players replaced, with two of the games against last seasons champions and this seasons champions elect?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lot 49 posted:

United have only had acceptable results this season when they played their most attacking line-ups.

Van Gaal started with three at the back and got 2/9 points.
Then he switched to the diamond and got 9/12 points.
Last three games he's gone 4-2-3-1 and got 2/9 points again.

Three at the back was dumb as hell. The diamond was the best possible use of their current squad and he's hosed up again by not sticking with it.

Those were all very attacking line ups though. Maybe it would be dumb to park the bus when you have 18 year olds in your back line, but I think that Man Utd could be a very effective counter-attacking team.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lot 49 posted:

Januzaj.

Oh come the gently caress on

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

excuse me lady posted:

Even if he had persisted with the diamond I don't think it's too outlandish to suggest that you couldn't guarantee its continued effectiveness with 3 of the key players replaced, with two of the games against last seasons champions and this seasons champions elect?

That they were playing good sides is all the more reason to have kept the formation that made the best use of their squad and was working fine.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Lot 49 posted:

That they were playing good sides is all the more reason to have kept the formation that made the best use of their squad and was working fine.

A diamond would have been found out by Pellegrini's progressive 4-4-2!!11

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

excuse me lady posted:

I would far rather watch this team than last seasons team and thats all that matters really isn't it?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Those were all very attacking line ups though. Maybe it would be dumb to park the bus when you have 18 year olds in your back line, but I think that Man Utd could be a very effective counter-attacking team.

The only games United have been attacking is when they used the diamond. In those four games they scored ten goals. In the seven games Van Gaal has tried other formations they've managed five.

I don't really want to talk about counter-attacking etc because I've wasted enough time now and that's a whole other kettle of fish.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Primpod posted:

United's most senior fit defender is literal child Luke Shaw.

fit is pushing it

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
United's most senior fat defender is literal child Luke Shaw.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Grimble posted:

United's most senior fat defender is literal child Luke Shaw.

actually that's rooney

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

You know if Man Utd were winning ugly 1-0 matches every week all of their supporters would be saying "We're winning and that's all that matters"

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

You know if Man Utd were winning ugly 1-0 matches every week all of their supporters would be saying "We're winning and that's all that matters"

yeah but we're not so given the choice between turgid dross bad results and entertaining bad results I'll take the latter thanks

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

excuse me lady posted:

yeah but we're not so given the choice between turgid dross bad results and entertaining bad results I'll take the latter thanks

lucky for you then cuz Zdenek Zeman should be available when van gaal gets sacked.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lot 49 posted:

The only games United have been attacking is when they used the diamond. In those four games they scored ten goals. In the seven games Van Gaal has tried other formations they've managed five.

I don't really want to talk about counter-attacking etc because I've wasted enough time now and that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I can't think of any other reason we'd have scored ten goals against opposition like QPR, Everton and Leicester and not score as many against teams like Chelsea and City.

:iiam:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

excuse me lady posted:

Yeah but the actual choice is between turgid dross bad results and entertaining worse results.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

Yeah but the actual choice is between turgid dross bad results and entertaining worse results.

But enough about Liverpool's form :v:

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Ninpo posted:

I can't think of any other reason we'd have scored ten goals against opposition like QPR, Everton and Leicester and not score as many against teams like Chelsea and City.

:iiam:

Are you really using "teams like Chelsea and City" to refer to Swansea, Sunderland, MK Dons, Burnley and West Brom?

I mean if you want you could ignore the Chelsea and City matches. Now United have managed four goals against the above five teams. Do you think that compares favourably with the ten they managed in less matches while using the diamond?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
We were looking for a boss and now we found a boss, and heaven knows we're miserable now

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
All this soul-searching is absolutely delicious and a welcome distraction from MY BEST TEAM's own recent failings

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I like it when Angel Di Maria clowns on the opposition and then passes it to a team mate who fucks everything up and he makes a face.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

I forgot man united got battered by MK dons lol, wouldnt have happened under moyes IMO

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Liverpool are also poo poo

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

serious gaylord posted:

I like it when Angel Di Maria clowns on the opposition and then passes it to a team mate who fucks everything up and he makes a face.

if by clowns on the opposition you mean fails to get a corner/fk past the first man yeah that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

serious gaylord posted:

Actually that's just his face.

• Locked thread