Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just finished it, and god loving drat, what a show. It's a crime that it was cut short the way it was, I'm not ready to leave. I kinda want to start over immediately, I'm pretty sure there's about 10,000 awesome things I missed.

All the characters are pretty great, but I think I love Doc the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

it was a good show

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Best greased-up fat man fight ever.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

its basically just game of thrones in the old west, right?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

FuriousGeorge posted:

Best greased-up fat man fight ever.

That was amazing and brutal

TEAYCHES posted:

Comparisons can probably be made, but the dialogue and acting in Deadwood are light years ahead of GoT.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
everyone likes it but i was pretty much like YAWN

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

I heard it was a pretty awesome show but never watched it mostly because it was cancelled and I didn't want to put myself through that kind of frustration.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

i like got but its a lot better than got

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah I just saw one of those power fantasy shows where every character is some super badass tough motherfucker but because of the people making it it's "prestige" so it's ok for the arthouse crowd to pretend they're just not living out a Cowboy fantasy when they watch it.

just kidding I do believe Deadwood is a genuinely good show; it just never connected with me

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

to hell with historical accuracy, i wish the man with no name woulda just deus ex machina'd his way through the town killin' all those motherfuckers with a sawed-off lever-action, arnie style.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
The best show.

TEAYCHES posted:

No. Got copied the worst parts of Deadwood, but that's it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i like it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I just saw one of those power fantasy shows where every character is some super badass tough motherfucker but because of the people making it it's "prestige" so it's ok for the arthouse crowd to pretend they're just not living out a Cowboy fantasy when they watch it.

just kidding I do believe Deadwood is a genuinely good show; it just never connected with me

There is that aspect, but what I found most interesting was the setting itself. It actually felt like a community, and off the top of my head I can't really think of any other show that pulls it off to that extent, except possibly The Wire. Just incredibly immersive.

SplitSoul posted:

to hell with historical accuracy, i wish the man with no name woulda just deus ex machina'd his way through the town killin' all those motherfuckers with a sawed-off lever-action, arnie style.

Who knows what season 4 would've brought :smith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wolfsheim posted:

same

it's 100% a show for white people

it's like

I can tell it's well made, and has good actors and stories and poo poo, but I'm all like "this poo poo so white" and I'm a cool urban dude so I just go out and rather dance and be cool

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Dead wood is excellent kindling, and great for keeping a fire going. It's easy to find, and the only downside is that it can be damp. However it can be dried out easily if you place it near your fire.

4 out of 5 stars

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Deadwood was a really really good show.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
cocksucker

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It kinda blew my mind when I realized that every episode (except a couple in season one, I think) takes place over the course of a single day

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
it sucked

-------------------8<-----------------

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

newreply.php posted:

it sucked

-------------------8<-----------------

You're wrong, but your av is very cool

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if it was good it would still be on tv. today.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
my wood is dead

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

there is word wood in the thread title :mmmhmm:

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Al swearengen pretending to be eb Farnum is hilarious to the max

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Absalom Baird posted:

Al swearengen pretending to be eb Farnum is hilarious to the max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSchfzne9HU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great show, great characters, except for Trixie. I wish Al killed her instead of the prostitute that kind of looked like her.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wu was criminally underused in the later seasons. "SWINGEN COCKSUCKA. SWINGEN COCKSUCKA.".

Show loving ruled, though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Great show, great characters, except for Trixie. I wish Al killed her instead of the prostitute that kind of looked like her.

I had no problem with Trixie. She had some great lines, and I totally bought her as a character even if she wasn't necessarily someone I'd want to hang out with. I think just about the only character who sometimes fell flat for me was Bullock

Xenomrph posted:

Wu was criminally underused in the later seasons. "SWINGEN COCKSUCKA. SWINGEN COCKSUCKA.".

Show loving ruled, though.

Wu is the best, the actor did so much with like, four words. All his scenes with Swingen are loving gold.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Ya bullock sucked. So wooden. Maybe that was the idea tho?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Deadwood is still a really fun town today if you enjoy gambling and drinking FYI

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Crow Jane posted:

Just finished it, and god loving drat, what a show. It's a crime that it was cut short the way it was, I'm not ready to leave. I kinda want to start over immediately, I'm pretty sure there's about 10,000 awesome things I missed.

All the characters are pretty great, but I think I love Doc the most.
Yeah it was great, it and Rome got canceled way too early.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Absalom Baird posted:

When he was pissed about something Hearst did but he couldn't tell his wife and was just fuming with rage at dinner and had to just show it with his eyes. In fact everyone seemed to be acting with mostly their eyes on that show. Mainly Brad Dourif. He was just all eyes and frustration.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Absalom Baird posted:

The first scene of the show tells us that he's an unbending man of stone. His equanimity is only spoiled because he gets so loving angry.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

To be fair the real Seth Bullock kinda looked pissed all the time also

bonus picture of him and Teddy Roosevelt (they were buds)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
deadwood is my gf's nickname for my wang

:smith:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

yeah, san fransisco cocksucker, your mortal loving enemy

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
My all time favorite show, such a goddamn shame it got cancelled

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Crow Jane posted:

There is that aspect, but what I found most interesting was the setting itself. It actually felt like a community, and off the top of my head I can't really think of any other show that pulls it off to that extent, except possibly The Wire. Just incredibly immersive.

Who knows what season 4 would've brought :smith:

Hours upon hours of screentime dedicated to the theater troupe, probably

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

To be fair the real Seth Bullock kinda looked pissed all the time also

bonus picture of him and Teddy Roosevelt (they were buds)

goddamn that moustache :stare:

• Locked thread