Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

There's this guy who used to wander in my mother's neighborhood yelling TAMALITOS DE MAIZ NUEVO. He did that for the whole my 30-something years of life. We never bought, because mom said they were lovely tamales.

Also, I'm surrounded by taquerias but I don't have cash to buy me some tacos.

Meowbot posted:

you post robertos in a mexican food thread

lmao

also cilantro and pico de galleleo are like the grossest thin gs on Earth. Mexicans have bad taste in food, and I hear their government is corrupt. Mexico is kind of a lovely place for all of the reasons mentioned.

Callate la puta boca.

Although you are right with the goverment. We are good there,ese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Here we are on page 3 and I'm ashamed at the lack of love for cabeza tacos and also tripa tacos. There's a joint down the street that serves cabeza tacos with some kinda roasted salsa that's amazing. For tripa, there's another joint a few miles away that serves it with some delicious verde sauce that I recently learned also contains more than the recommended daily allotment of lead.

I live in Mexico in a loving city that doesn't have tacos de cabeza and tripa and I hate them for that. People are instead crazy over pastor and gorditas. :( I miss the greasy tripa in a greasy tortilla...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

We have trucks here that sell that poo poo, I thought you guys would be all about using every part of the cow and pig how do you not have that

Yeah, at my mother's city you'll find taquerias selling you all the parts of the cow and pig. Over here people tend to have lovely food tastes.

but the tortas are loving epic:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Bonzo posted:

None of you live near a place that sells Menudo? Man, how to get you get over a hangover with that poo poo?

Barbacoa de borrego.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

i live near 10-10000 places that sell menudo everyone speaks english at the register.

There's a place near by. The service is extremely slow and their morning's menudo isn't that good. Meh. It's not worth the wait.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Is that a pumpkin seed sauce like whats on Papadzules?

The gently caress is wrong with you? Chiles en nogada= Nogada= Nogal= Tree where the loving mother loving walnuts come from.

Also you are tasting the mexican flag when you eat one of those. It tastes delicious.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Doctor said I probably just got parasites from eating delicious Mexican food in Mexico. :yum:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

sounds like a good way to lose weight

Considering that I now have to cook at home and favor steaming. Yes. Goodbye greasy food, hello steamed vegetables.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:negative:

Fetus Tree posted:

i've never met a mexican i didn't get along with

until they find out my family is from argentina :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuSfJGiHf3s

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ramsus posted:

It's salt. Just loads of salt.

Salt,lard and you don't have to wash your hands. And if the place is infested with flies much better! :D

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

my family's 'go to' meal from the old country is milanesa with home cut/home made fries and a tomato/onion vinaigrette salad

is this also in mexico

E: for us its always beef, usually cheap cuts that we tenderize the gently caress out of with hammers. we dont gently caress with chicken milanesa in my family.

YES.

My family always begs me to make milanesas because supposedly I can cook a very good ones.
Also it can be fries or mashed potatoes. With a lettuce salad.

By the way, torta de milanesa. Best poo poo ever.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mariana Horchata posted:

tortas are so wonderful.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

We Mexicans are slowly getting our territory back, one taco at the time.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

Its a race to see which side of the border dies from obesity related complications.

A war of fattrition

Two fatties enter,one fatty leaves :black101:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oz Fox posted:

They just added a bunch of car lanes to the border crossing here so now its semi practical to just drive down to Tijuana for lunch.

e: all you gotta do is put a giant Morrissey sticker on your back window and no one will guess you're a gringo

Go for it! Eat fuckin' cheap mexican food until you end making GBS threads diarrhea and blood for three straight days.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Maybe if you are from the midwest and have lil babby stomachs that cant handle it.

Nah, even we mexicans end making GBS threads blood...eventually. It just takes longer to happen.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Going to the local Salvadorean place tomorrow because of this thread. Should I get nachos, chile relleno, flautas, or a burrito?

Salvador ain't Mexico, buddy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

no i can get them fresh by walking like 15 mins for like 6 bucks.

I can buy something similar in a package of twelve for like one american dollar in the Oxxo next door.

OR

I can buy some tortillas, cook some chicken and make my own mother loving flautas.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

shiksa posted:

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION TIME

avocados are gross

fresh avocados are awesome.

Fresh guacamole is double the loving awesome. It's my favorite thing to add to my food. All food. gently caress yeah.

Edit:

Chinatown posted:

Similar in shape but thats about it. Good luck reheating a frozen taquito into crispy goodness.

I still love frozen taquitos with shredded cheese as a drunk post-bar food though.

I deep fry them, gently caress the microwave that's lazy. I fry them and spread queso fresco,green salsa and cream over them.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I've been there. As an American the place is hilarious because their approach is turning Mexican street food into a loving upscale dining experience. The way they spell the name is just icing on the experience.

:negative: There are actual very expensive restaurants, here over Mexico, that only serve tacos and basic Mexican food. I swear! It's the same poo poo you'll find outside in the corner but served all fancy like. We are insane.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'd make a joke about how those are probably fronts for drug cartels or some poo poo but they probably aren't, sadly.

Hell, you can order burgers and fries from expensive restaurants here too.

Jose and Pedro in that lonely dark corner selling cheap tacos are actually the drug cartel's front.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

babypolis posted:

another cool thing about mexican food is that its incredibly varied. most of the stuff mentioned here is northern/central mexican cuisine but pretty much everywhere you go has its own local dishes and some places even have huge variations on everything. like for example yucatecan cuisine is its own completely differnt thing

Tamales.

Why no one has mentioned tamales? And not the dry bullshit they make in Central and North Mexico, but the glorious gelatinous delight from the South.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Nostrum posted:

Are breakfast burritos considered "mexican food". Eggs, hashbrown, fried onion, cheese, chorizo, and bacon. With lots of spicy green salsa.

The gently caress?

Remove hashbrowns, and bacon. That belongs to the gringos.

Mexican breakfast are enchiladas, chilaquiles, huevos revueltos, huevos divorciados,etc, everything with refried beans.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Kitchner posted:

I'm going to Mexico in a week with work. I don't really like spicy food that much, so am I going to starve?

Also am I going to have the shits? I'm assuming yes.

you can keep eating your gringo foods, there's like a bunch of starbucks and mcdonalds and over sugary stuff like that. don't panic.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dead Precedents posted:

Not all of them have 'blow-your-rear end-out' hot poo poo in them. Stick with tacos or something.

He should just ask for caldo de verduras or pollo.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Is booze food?

In case you were wondering what we like to drink aside from beer:

Pinche Tonayán, JAJAJAJA

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I've got tons of questions but the main one is "Johnnie Walker Red? Really?"

I don't know, I'm a vodka person
i dont like that poo poo.

Fandyien posted:

so do mexicans like not drink wine or something? it just says it doesn't include beer but i feel like in america if you made a map that was wine/spirits wine would win out mostly

hahahaha i guess so ,not much, in mexico you are all about getting very drunk and scream obscenities because your soccer team sucks

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

agua loca is the best.

I was witness of something like that, several times. Good times.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

whats going on here

You make some tang/kool aid, whatever flavour you want, add Tonayan or similar, get drunk. Cheapest way.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

i figured it was some kind of punch thing but the milky white coloring is throwing me off

probably horchata flavored tang :3:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

What about if I sprinkle some cheese in a tortilla, roll it up, and microwave it?

it has to be oaxaca cheese
then you have drunk mexican student food.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I need this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX37P73R7d4

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

are there hotdogs on that torta

yes
and eggs with chorizo
chicken
queso oaxaca, ham, and meat. one loving kilo of greasy food.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Do actual Mexicans eat Nachos or is that purely an American thing?

We eat nachos, but it's not like super popular lol

I actually ate some really loving good nachos in Yucatan. It was like a whole bag, with a fuckton of cheese and on top of that half a kilo of al pastor.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Has anyone made nachos with gravy on top so they fulfill being Canadian-US-Mexican NAFTA certified food.

Edit: Carne Asada fries + cheese curds and gravy would work too.

Gravy, that plastic orange cheese, and what do Canadians eat? beaver? Well,then,beaver.

Nachos with gravy, orange fake cheese and beaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I got food poisoning from the best loving chili relleno I ever had in my life. On one hand I don't want to eat them anymore because I don't think I'll ever have a better one, and on the other hand I don't think I can eat them for awhile because it will bring back memories of making GBS threads out my eyeballs for 4 days.

You can make your own chiles rellenos. Although they are difficult to make :negative: it can turn in to a loving mess if you are not patient.

• Locked thread