Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!
I know with SA there is an equal number of goons in big cities, and goons in rural areas. Lets talk about those who live in the holler!

Tell me about your rural area. Maybe how much land you or your family has. How do people in your area spend free time? What's the BMI of most people in your area? Drugs? Lets hear about it!

My story is I live in San Antonio now. But I lived in small towns in WV. Morgantown and Fairmont WV were towns I lived in during college. But those aren't rural areas. They are college towns which I thought were cities until San Antonio.

My family is from and I lived in Greenspring WV. Which you can walk through in 5 mins. Romney WV which had people so fat and ugly you think standard goons are pretty. And Augusta WV which the main food is shitweed and meth.

What about you?

PandaCookies fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I lived in WV for 4 years. Dated a girl from Boone County. Driving through it was like being in a time machine, except everyone is fat and on painkillers.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I was raised by a wolf in the jungle. It was ok

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

George Zimmer posted:

I lived in WV for 4 years. Dated a girl from Boone County. Driving through it was like being in a time machine, except everyone is fat and on painkillers.

I dated a girl from Boone county too! She was a total slut and would do anything for weed! It was awesome cuz I used to always have weed! Until I didn't. Her dad was on painkillers too lol

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

used to live in Yuma AZ 20 years ago when it wasn't the third largest city in the state or some ridiculous poo poo like that. my father who still lives in a vaguely more rural back-area of the city has like 3 acres to himself but he doesn't farm or anything because he's a doctor and doesn't do more than irrigate the trees and grass and poo poo on the front side of his property to my knowledge. drugs? i heard they were around at the time at some places but i never was exposed to them personally because i was too lame and square (still am). bmi on average was normal though there were folks who skewed towards a bigger gut than technically good for them. it's apparently now got a loving bus line and balloons to like 250,000 people in the winter and poo poo but it's always going to be a lovely rural desert town with 120 degree summers and 300 days of blue loving skies and burning sun with too many similarly awful people to me

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

PandaCookies posted:

I dated a girl from Boone county too! She was a total slut and would do anything for weed! It was awesome cuz I used to always have weed! Until I didn't. Her dad was on painkillers too lol

was she loving you to ease her dad's pain with weed or get wrecked on the stuff herself, because if the former lmao

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

School Nickname posted:

was she loving you to ease her dad's pain with weed or get wrecked on the stuff herself, because if the former lmao

She was young. I think I was a young adult with my own place and had tons of connections and could buy alcohol. I was like 23 or 24. She was skinny but got fatter and was like 18 or 19, and horny, and liked drugs and alcohol. But I was getting older less into drugs and drinking, and got bored of bad sex.

She broke up with me. But I'm kind of a wet blanket and just started treating her like poo poo to make her break up with me. But It was fun while it lasted. Last I heard she is with a guy that beats her, and her dad had a heart attack.

PandaCookies fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 20, 2014

naem
May 29, 2011

My parents tried being overeducated middle class NPR listening portlandia wannabes on this nice little multi acre plot of land with a farm house and apple trees etc only in the Midwest.

Our immediate neighbor was a friendly bespecktacled retired college professor with a nice yard, perfect for sharing nonfictions books you didn't read and pretending to enjoy Garrison Keillor and vintage heirloom vegetable recipes and l.l. Bean sweaters.

HER immediate neighbor opposite us was the most insane hillybilly coked up methed out trans-am-on-cinder-block shotguns fired wildy into the air nightmare clan ever. I know that a mother and two or more daughters lived in the "compound," and that multiple men would come and go at all hours of the day, often arguing about who was dating which of the women and whose engine block was whose.

They had peacocks, that ran free and mostly survived off the professors vegetable garden. Peacocks make the most horrible screaming noise ever, it's exactly like a child drowning. The professor went nuts and shot a bunch of them and dumped them in their driveway, which they thought was hilarious.

Also they had wolf-dog hybrids. Like the peacocks they were "free range" and most childhood trips through the pretend farm would involve untangling a horse sized and incredibly bored looking nightmare creature from the scrubby woods and attempting to shove them through the back gate.

I think they liked the attention they kept coming back. You'd press really hard on their face high rib cage to get them walking and they'd stick their nose in your ear and snort and you'd be like "Dude get out of here you're ruining the illusion of middle class genteel whatever my parents are trying for, go back to the peacock hillbilly trailer zone geez"

Also as it turns out, planting organic heirloom vegetables in the middle of no where with no pesticides means that every single vole, weevle, woodchuck, marsh rabbit, ocelot, pixie, scarcrow, muskrat and hobgoblin looking creature for miles show's up and goes completely butt loving insane gnawing their way inside of every single tomato and pumpkin and cucumber, eating and fighting and loving and pissing and making GBS threads and all their favorite predators come calmly devouring them at their leisure, making threat displays at each other and digging holes and filling them with buttons and the bones of lost children and farm animals and god knows what. You'd shine a flashlight into the two acre garden plot at night and it was like Jurassic park with cornstalks shaking and thousands of teeny tiny little eyes reflecting back at you. Mom was super sad she couldn't Martha Stewart up and bunch of mason jars. Although the people we bought the place from had a cow and fed it a squash of some sort, and it pooped out seeds, covering like 3 acres with alien seed pod vegetables we were afraid to eat. None of the critters would touch the squash which freaked us out. We filled a minivan 5 times full of squash to give to a food shelter. Hope we didn't kill any hobos.

The hillbilly's youngest daughter apparently went nuts and got naked with a bunch of local kids on the bus to high school, and my parents paid someone to drive us for the rest of the year until they sold the property (after they found out there was a toxic waste something upstream of us and the sludgy river nearby).

OH and we ate the cow. The nice couple had let us kids pet the cow and feed it carrots, then when they signed the paperwork later they had us over for roast beef and halfway through dinner they reassured us they "never really liked Mary she was bitey and they wanted a nicer cow next time so don't feel bad."

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

naem posted:

Also they had wolf-dog hybrids. Like the peacocks they were "free range" and most childhood trips through the pretend farm would involve untangling a horse sized and incredibly bored looking nightmare creature from the scrubby woods and attempting to shove them through the back gate.

I think they liked the attention they kept coming back. You'd press really hard on their face high rib cage to get them walking and they'd stick their nose in your ear and snort and you'd be like "Dude get out of here you're ruining the illusion of middle class genteel whatever my parents are trying for, go back to the peacock hillbilly trailer zone geez"

Supposedly it's a wolf thing to 'snort' as a type of greeting, so they probably actually liked it yeah.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'm from a tiny shithole town in west TX, it was good for me because I got to see what utter loving morons most rural people are

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
never been around rural folks for too long and the ones i have been around were slavs.

dumb as bricks and twice as ugly

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rural areas are really important to the USA since they supply a majority of the soldiers and also good made in the USA meth/weed.

Also country music videos lie, the hot farmer's daughter is a myth

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

rural areas are really important to the USA since they supply a majority of the soldiers and also good made in the USA meth/weed.

that sounds like the only commodity i care for

horny farmer daughters, i want to live the dream

naem
May 29, 2011

etalian posted:

In my experience there is always at least one really hot one, and two or more who do their hair and makeup similarly who hang out nearby being borderline passable only with one really weird glaring flaw like hugely buck teeth or way out of proportion hips.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
shoutout to Roca, Hickman, Holland, Firth, Nebraska

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

One of my friends did the classic let's move to the country idea, it went well until the local rednecks broke into the house and left behind a deer carcass in one of the beds.

naem
May 29, 2011

A generous housewarming gift

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

One of my friends did the classic let's move to the country idea, it went well until the local rednecks broke into the house and left behind a deer carcass in one of the beds.

these godfather knockoffs are getting a little stale imo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Everything I hear about the south makes me sad

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Its nice living in the rural side of Utah. Going for late night walks is always an adventure when you hear a mountain lion call from the hills across the street. Also coyotes howling outside my window is pretty cool.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Edgar posted:

Its nice living in the rural side of Utah. Going for late night walks is always an adventure when you hear a mountain lion call from the hills across the street. Also coyotes howling outside my window is pretty cool.

coyotes are loving assholes, and they should all die.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i live in the hill country in texas. i almost ran over 20 deer today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJlqgoSC_Y

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

TOILETLORD posted:

Oh they are. Killed my neighbors chickens. I still like their howls. However if i had more free time http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/118-hunting/big-game/892-questions-about-utahs-predator-control-program.html

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Not really as rural as some folks posting here, but I got called friend of the family lover and human being quite a bit, so that ought to count for something.

naem
May 29, 2011

Coyotes are hilarious are you kidding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I was in St. James Missouri years ago shortly after the first obama election and some dude just up and calls Obama a friend of the family. Like 15 people in the gas station didn't even blink an eye.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
All I know is that if you take the back roads in the south at night, you feel like you're seconds away from some rednecks in a lifted pick-up truck running you off the road and then torturing you.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I grew up in the forests of northern Minnesota, some of the least populated areas you can imagine. Largest town for 50 miles in any direction being about 1000 people. I have to say growing up with people who were either one generation removed from immigrants or immigrants themselves isn't very strange in the United States but the people I grew up with were all Germanic/Polish/Finn people. People who basically lived in shacks like the ones you see in Russia.jpg, but they are well crafted by people who were masters 100 years ago.

The strangest thing is leaving that environment after high school and seeing that no, most of America doesn't still have popular polka bands and make their own sausage. Growing up without access to fast food was pretty great. We had a dairy queen I guess. The gas stations were all locally owned, your mechanic was your best friend, and sometimes securing the water supply meant sticking dynamite in a beaver dam and plugging your ears.

I remember pissing on electric fences and being chased by a bull up a tree when I was 5 or so. I remember my best friends grandpa had a pack of wild dogs that lived on his 200 acre lot. There were hidden weed fields everywhere that you could always score off of if you were desperate. The cops never bothered you because they were too busy drinking down at the municipal bar to care much what anyone was up to.

It's all gone to hell now though, everywhere in America is pretty much the same, nobody listens to polka anymore and the accordion shop went out of business sometime in the 90s. The forests are still beautiful, but the culture I loved is dead, I guess that's what I get for being raised by 70 year olds. I feel sad for people who never got to interact with that hosed up generation from the early 20th century. They all voted labor and they were all racist as hell and smelled like department stores, axle grease, and pipe tobacco. I hate that Tom Brokaw greatest generation poo poo, it doesn't do them justice, they were so much more hosed up and glorious.

In a rage my grandfather shot my uncle right in the face with a shotgun when they were both drunk. Killed him dead. Now anywhere else this would be a high profile court case, but out there where everyone knows each-other the police and the neighbors and my grandpa had a long talk over a drink down at the bar on how to proceed. They buried my uncle and called it a freak accident, no police report filed, and only an empty place in my grandmother's heart. It wouldn't be the first or last man my grandfather killed, but after that night they never spoke of it again.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 20, 2014

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

The Walking Dad posted:

I grew up in the forests of northern Minnesota, some of the least populated areas you can imagine...

Northern MN represent! I grew up about 45 miles south of the border in the woods off of 53. Didn't have an indoor toilet. It was and is routinely 40 below in the winter. I carried a chainsaw in my trunk to clear blowdowns on the way to school.

Kids were allowed to keep rifles in their lockers if they had gun safety after school. My bus driver was given a stern talking to, but not fired, when it was found he kept a .410 under the seat for hunting after work.

Every kid carried a one-hand opening pocket knife. It was an open campus and we were able to go downtown for lunch starting in 7th grade. Ojibwe was routinely spoken in school and Finnish at town hall suppers.

"Going to town" meant driving 45 miles to Virginia and was not thought of as a big deal. A guy could go to Hibbing too but I've never been a big fan.

I miss living there and wish I could move back today...

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

mostlygray posted:

Northern MN represent! I grew up about 45 miles south of the border in the woods off of 53. Didn't have an indoor toilet. It was and is routinely 40 below in the winter. I carried a chainsaw in my trunk to clear blowdowns on the way to school.

Kids were allowed to keep rifles in their lockers if they had gun safety after school. My bus driver was given a stern talking to, but not fired, when it was found he kept a .410 under the seat for hunting after work.

Every kid carried a one-hand opening pocket knife. It was an open campus and we were able to go downtown for lunch starting in 7th grade. Ojibwe was routinely spoken in school and Finnish at town hall suppers.

"Going to town" meant driving 45 miles to Virginia and was not thought of as a big deal. A guy could go to Hibbing too but I've never been a big fan.

I miss living there and wish I could move back today...

That sounds really cool. We always were allowed to carry pocket knives too but guns stayed in the car. After Columbine we were discouraged to have them, but it wasn't really enforced. Same with chewing tobacco. Most every guy would dip in school, and the school figured out that they couldn't keep kids from smoking so they made a dedicated corner off campus so it was safe for kids to smoke. It was like a block away. Also a rival school before a big game went hunting and threw deer carcasses and innards over everyones car in the parking lot.

I have been living in San Antonio for about 2 years. But I am really starting to miss living in the country, and how nobody gives a gently caress if you whip your dick out and take a piss outside. City life sucks because you always have to go to the toilet.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I stopped for gas in kentucky near a popular lake. It was a weekend and it was a largish gas station and there were about 20 people there, not one of whom was wearing an entire shirt

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Haverchuck posted:

I stopped for gas in kentucky near a popular lake. It was a weekend and it was a largish gas station and there were about 20 people there, not one of whom was wearing an entire shirt

fat level?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

danny mcbride

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TOILETLORD posted:

it is the deer who are the assholes and every time i hear the coyotes making a kill at night i am glad of it

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Does Detroit count?

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

syscall girl posted:

it is the deer who are the assholes and every time i hear the coyotes making a kill at night i am glad of it

they are both assholes and the best thing about killing them is that deer taste better

naem
May 29, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

Does Detroit count?

In Detroit it is you who are hunted

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Songs that play on stations that consider themselves the place for "hip hop and r n b", the popular rap music of today, are usually about getting the money, getting the good things in life, getting ahead. Country songs that play on Rural Shithole #43's home for the latest new country music are usually about being happy about being uneducated, drinking bad booze, never going anywhere, never doing anything. Why does this divide exist?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

False, I grew up in a rural area and got a bj from my friend's sister who was hot and they lived on a farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

George Zimmer posted:

PandaCookies posted:

For reference, Boone County is the one county the rest of West Virginia looks down on as being backwards as gently caress.

It's also home of Jesco White: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPvKsUltrA

• Locked thread