Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

what is "necessary" in a new car to you? you can get a radio with bluetooth, if that's what you mean.

Well this is where I out myself as even dumber and more ignorant than I already seemed (quite a feat I assure you), but I was referring to things like advances in steering and suspension and shocks and engine efficiency and all those things that make the average car from 2005 ride a hell of a lot smoother, faster, and very broadly speaking better than your average car from 1963.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

i drove it 4 miles down an unmarked dirt/sand road past an (abandoned?) FAA radar station in Nye County, NV and it was probably a bad idea but it was neat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Well this is where I out myself as even dumber and more ignorant than I already seemed (quite a feat I assure you), but I was referring to things like advances in steering and suspension and shocks and engine efficiency and all those things that make the average car from 2005 ride a hell of a lot smoother, faster, and very broadly speaking better than your average car from 1963.

you can get a camry with 295 hp but it handles like absolute poo poo garbage, and probably has electric power steering so you feel disconnected from the road. there aren't really any significant advances in handling since the 90s unless you're talking about high-end sporty cars.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mind the walrus posted:

well for my money i'd take the stiff and sorta harsh suspension from my 30 year old car with no power steering and a manual transmission over how new cars ride, so

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i really do like automatic transmission. it enables a lot more stupid poo poo and lets me pay way less attention to the actual driving part of driving.

I would happily give it up for an old muscle car though. I feel like you're retarded if you wouldn't give up modern luxuries for some of those classic cars.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

i really do like automatic transmission. it enables a lot more stupid poo poo and lets me pay way less attention to the actual driving part of driving.

I would happily give it up for an old muscle car though. I feel like you're retarded if you wouldn't give up modern luxuries for some of those classic cars.

Automatic transmissions are almost as old as cars themselves..in fact the modern manual transmission is newer than the planetary gearbox as far as i remember. but i agree, i prefer automatic too

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
slushbox automatics suck because they are heavy and you lose some power through the torque converters

new dcts that started out in F1, then moved into supercars and now is finding its way into Ford econoboxes are still automatic but are also direct drive. still heavy but no torque converters. its cool

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ya id take a DCT porsche anyday

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
it was only really pre 70s/80s cars that were deathtraps at anything more than 20mph otherwise i agree OP. every time my partner sees a 50s car on the street and says "id so drive that" im like lol do u wanna die from a 30mph accident

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cubey posted:

well for my money i'd take the stiff and sorta harsh suspension from my 30 year old car with no power steering and a manual transmission over how new cars ride, so

and I'm sure there are guys that swear by their rotary phones and Casio watches, but here we are

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

and I'm sure there are guys that swear by their rotary phones and Casio watches, but here we are

*goes over bump* wow u barely even feel it *goes over speed bump* wow u barely even feel it *goes over cyclist* wow u barely e

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

You can modify any cars suspension to ride however you like

you can also put a modern engine in an old car

there is an entire industry around making old cars ride like new cars

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lufiron posted:

If I ever get good money I think I'll do this to like an ugly-rear end 80s junker model that no one in their right mind would think to steal.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I dont know what the other guys is on about but when it comes to cars, I'm on Patek Philippe tier

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

If I ever get good money I think I'll do this to like an ugly-rear end 80s junker model that no one in their right mind would think to steal.

Somebody already did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iN9pxP9AuM

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Xaris posted:

my dad rebuilt a 1970 purple challenger (mdlife crisis), it's pretty cool. there's actually collector car insurance which is pretty cheap. but yea its inefficient and loud as hell

I want to hang out with your dad. I have a 1968 Charger. gets about 7 miles to the gallon and has some raunchy old school Cherry bombs to set off people's car alarms as I go up the street. It mostly sits in the garage.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I thought that car was being adopted by hipsters.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lufiron posted:

pretty sure the industry is based around making old cars handle better, not "ride like new cars" because nobody in their right mind would put a mushy new-car suspension in an old car, unless they were installing airbags in a '69 Cadillac or something

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

i really can't think of more shameful nerd pandering car than the Tesla.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

pretty sure the industry is based around making old cars handle better, not "ride like new cars" because nobody in their right mind would put a mushy new-car suspension in an old car, unless they were installing airbags in a '69 Cadillac or something

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I mean like new sports cars. Funny you should mention air bags because that is exactly the technology some have utilized for this.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/0709ch-1969-chevy-el-camino/graphic-depiction.html#__federated=1

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

new car suspensions are mushy only if the company wants them to be. if you're building it from the ground up you can have any firmness all the way up to track-only stuff

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
the sensory experience is what its really all about, most new cars of all types are so isolated/sound proofed and based off electronics/computers to the point where many cars actually attempt recreate some of this stuff artificially like the engine sound amplifier in the Focus ST or drive by wire systems that try to emulate the responsiveness of a mechanical assembly.

after that, the random quirks and the styling are what its all about to me. especially the styling, safety regulations have put a lot of constraints on that department IMO.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mariana Horchata posted:

the sensory experience is what its really all about, most new cars of all types are so isolated/sound proofed and based off electronics/computers to the point where many cars actually attempt recreate some of this stuff artificially like the engine sound amplifier in the Focus ST or drive by wire systems that try to emulate the responsiveness of a mechanical assembly.

after that, the random quirks and the styling are what its all about to me. especially the styling, safety regulations have put a lot of constraints on that department IMO.

Ya my bimmer was loud as gently caress during city driving especially with the windows down but at highway speeds it was completely quiet somehow. That car was built from the ground up to be an autobahn cruiser and it showed in every aspect. Drove an e320 from same era and it was the same way, at least in that regard. My favorite part was the handling mostly..it was so on point, never seen it in any other car ive driven. You can feel the car leaning on the outside wheel when you make a turn, it feels so solid and reassuring. Just trying to convert a few fence sitters here. Old german cars=best cars

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mariana Horchata posted:

this is a big thing for me, i get motion sick easily and recent cars make me carsick really quickly unless im driving because there's not enough sensory feedback

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

new car suspensions are mushy only if the company wants them to be. if you're building it from the ground up you can have any firmness all the way up to track-only stuff

and except for weirdass multilink suspensions and active weird poo poo, they've been just about the same for many years

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Tautologicus posted:

Ya my bimmer was loud as gently caress during city driving especially with the windows down but at highway speeds it was completely quiet somehow. That car was built from the ground up to be an autobahn cruiser and it showed in every aspect. Drove an e320 from same era and it was the same way, at least in that regard. My favorite part was the handling mostly..it was so on point, never seen it in any other car ive driven. You can feel the car leaning on the outside wheel when you make a turn, it feels so solid and reassuring. Just trying to convert a few fence sitters here. Old german cars=best cars

yep same here. slow when wafting around town (thanks to a 4sp auto that starts in 2nd by default) but eventually it does come alive on the highway between 70-100mph, super quiet when at speed aside from when the smooth straight six is screaming away, and not a single god drat rattle with doors that close like they are part of a vault. BMW E30/E34s are fantastic as well and also much more fun to drive, but they just don't approach the build quality of pre Chrysler era Mercedes.

not too worried about getting in an accident either, despite only have a single 1st gen airbag i think id be ok

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 25, 2014

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

me irl

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

there just isnt a point in modernizing a 70's car. Let old carbureted wonky engines do their thing, and if you want to make a track monster use a 90s to modern chassis.. You'll get more out of it. Better aero, better rigidity, less body roll.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

do any modern cars have fins i dont keep u\p to date with cars but i like the 50's aesthetic a lot wrt cars

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

lonesomedwarf posted:

do any modern cars have fins i dont keep u\p to date with cars but i like the 50's aesthetic a lot wrt cars

like a shark or some poo poo?? theres tons of crazy aero poo poo on supercars now, but some dolphin bullshit is found on economy cars a lot. im sure its for either looks or minor fuel efficiency gains (by smoothing out the air behind the car)

the newest supercars have active aerodynamics, usually just on the wings, but eventually we might see it for diffusers and side skirts and such. basically the wing goes up and down to generate different amounts of downforce vs drag based on how fast the car is moving

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ZombieParts posted:

I want to hang out with your dad. I have a 1968 Charger. gets about 7 miles to the gallon and has some raunchy old school Cherry bombs to set off people's car alarms as I go up the street. It mostly sits in the garage.

Hah, he also likes Chargers but only certain years. But yeah it also gets like 8 mpg. It should get about 13 or so once he puts in the new overdrive

That's his rebuilt one. Did a good job but took like 5 years and a lot of money even though you can buy the chasis for fairly cheap.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 25, 2014

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

New muscle cars could learn something from old ones

Mostly that you don't need four doors and 5 full-sized seats, you stupid motherfuckers. The new challenger weighs 4440 loving pounds and the new chargers have 4 doors. I don't get it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Carol Pizzamom posted:

New muscle cars could learn something from old ones

Mostly that you don't need four doors and 5 full-sized seats, you stupid motherfuckers. The new challenger weighs 4440 loving pounds and the new chargers have 4 doors. I don't get it

It's because the only people who can buy them now are old fat and usually have families vs younger people in the 70s

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
we got a model t and a willys jeep in our garage. also, a cigar store indian in our foyer, but we tend to avoid bringing that up

Harry J
Nov 8, 2004

LS-WHAT???!!!!????!!!!

numberoneposter posted:

the best car is the car with an LS1

:getin:

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I drive a 2007 Hyundai Getz. Cool or nah?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Jastiger posted:

lmbo if you think old cars are better than modern cars.

http://backdraftracing.com/

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

krampster2 posted:

I drive a 2007 Hyundai Getz. Cool or nah?

GETZ outta here aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h ah ah aha ha ha ha ha ha ha h ah aha ha ha ha ha h aha h ah ah aha h ah ah aha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha ha ha h aha ha h aha hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahha ha hahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Hyundai is just on the brink of starting to really figure out cars. I wouldn't buy any of their stuff yet but it's something to look out for

The Veloster Turbo is almost cool.

• Locked thread