Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
First-term, known control freak PM breaks critical election promises, gets turfed for (presumably) his (female) deputy?

If it happens, the irony might kill me.

edit: Guardian Live Blog

quote:

Labor’s agriculture spokesman, Joel Fitzgibbon, sticking in the knife after the Nationals shocking showing in the Victorian election.

Q: My question is to the minister for agriculture. I refer to the minister’s comments that the responsibility for the future of SPC’s fruit cannery lay fair and square with the Liberal Party. Given the Victorian Nationals have lost the seat of Shepparton after 47 years, and will lose their party status, does the minister accept personal responsibility for the loss of this seat?

Barnaby Joyce has flushed bright beetroot.

Joyce says everything is Labor’s fault.

The Labor party creates the pigsty and we have to clean it up.

(I thought we were on tinned pears.)

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Graun posted:

bikie fest down the front earlier, in which David Leyonhjelm unexpectedly invoked a penis.

OK, I'm going to need more detail on this... can't find anything with a cursory search

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SadisTech posted:

OK, I'm going to need more detail on this... can't find anything with a cursory search

Try turning safe search off.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

quote:

The DLP senator David Leyonhjelm has been out this morning doffing his helmet to the poor oppressed bikers of Australia. Tailoring messages to your audience is a stock standard part of professional politics.

But I reckon Leyonhjelm could have left his man junk out of it.

Leyonhjelm:

The people behind me (politicians) do not understand the joy of cruising out on the highway.

In fact, very few of them have ever had anything between their legs with more grunt than a pogo stick.

When put to the test, I suspect very few of them ever have much between their legs at all.

Highway to hell, right there.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Leyonjhelm is the LDP senator, not the DLP senator

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Just quoting it from the blog, their mistake!

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure if we're speculating on future LNP leaders we have to consider the inherent paradox of Tony Abbott leading the party to victory at election and simply assume the new leader will be the absolute worst possible individual and as such Scott Morrison or Kevin Andrews

Scotty '16

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Scott's kinda tearing it up in estimates. That dumbass Nats senator jumped on a comment Scott made that people had been suggesting the closure of the SA production studios for years, by suggesting that meant it'd been on the table for a long time (years). Scott said "not at all, consultants suggested that was one way to save money and we fought hard against it." "Oh, so it was in the bottom drawer in your desk then?" "Well, Senator, why is it that we've had to reach into the bottom drawer? We need to have some way of dealing with the 250m of cuts passed down to us."

cue Nats Senator never speaking again

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Hahah I only just figured out Dorothy Dixer isn't an actual MP

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

cpaf posted:

I'm pretty sure if we're speculating on future LNP leaders we have to consider the inherent paradox of Tony Abbott leading the party to victory at election and simply assume the new leader will be the absolute worst possible individual and as such Scott Morrison or Kevin Andrews

Scotty '16

"We don't comment on operational matters".

EDIT - Also, what about Pyne?

Myall fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 1, 2014

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Orwellian Optimism posted:

"We don't comment on operational matters".

EDIT - Also, what about Pyne?

Pyne will be too busy campaigning to save his seat, let alone a ministry.

Try to find a government that will risk a leadership position on somebody in a marginal.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Pyne is a smug fuckwit but he's still just a career politician like Joe Hockey or Julie Bishop; Scott Morrison is a genuine sociopath and demonstrably takes pleasure in loving people over like our dear PM

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Jesus loving christ, Senator Birmingham is loving annoying. Thanks a loving lot, South Australia. I hope the ABC is cut out of the state completely.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Julie Bishop is being set up as the replacement. No one is trying to do anything with Turnball except put him in front of the public shooting gallery. Morrison wants to be PM like Gollum wants the ring, but part of the Party know he's a little too much like a dictator for the public to vote for.

If/when One Term Tony's chief of staff goes away, his Prime Ministership will have a half life of hours. He's trying to angle for a new start in 2015. If he dosn't improve (and he won't), I expect there will be a challenge by mid-next year, 1-2 months after the budget.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Comstar posted:

Julie Bishop is being set up as the replacement. No one is trying to do anything with Turnball except put him in front of the public shooting gallery. Morrison wants to be PM like Gollum wants the ring, but part of the Party know he's a little too much like a dictator for the public to vote for.

If/when One Term Tony's chief of staff goes away, his Prime Ministership will have a half life of hours. He's trying to angle for a new start in 2015. If he dosn't improve (and he won't), I expect there will be a challenge by mid-next year, 1-2 months after the budget.

Abbott has a large degree of protection due to the experience of the Labor party that they both witnessed and were a significant contributor to.

This makes the LNP even more uncomfortable because they either sink with him or they break their promise of stable leadership.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Bob Ellis, is that you?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If Abbott gets rolled by Bishop the lesson he will take from it is that he allowed too many women in the cabinet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gough Suppressant posted:

If Abbott gets rolled by Bishop the lesson he will take from it is that he allowed too many women in the cabinet.

If Bishop becomes PM we have reached a point where JULIE BISHOP of all people is seen as the best leader of Australia.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The Victorian libs are going to like the Feds even less. Daniel Andrews is following the federal governments example in releasing confidential cabinet documents from the previous government, specifically regarding east-west link.

:getin:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

If Bishop becomes PM we have reached a point where JULIE BISHOP of all people is seen as the best leader of Australia.

She's not the leader we need right now, but the one Australia deserves.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
If Julie Bishop becomes PM I will tear my lungs out of my body and hurl them at her.

kaguya
Apr 4, 2013

If that conservative dyke is PM then I'll tear out my own rear end hole and throw it at her! Peg my entrails at her head!

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
Won't be the first set of lungs she has ignored

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Free asbestos for everyone!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Decayed posted:

:golfclap:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

kaguya posted:

If that conservative dyke is PM then I'll tear out my own rear end hole and throw it at her! Peg my entrails at her head!

This comment is entirely unfair to both sorts of dykes. Also I'm pretty sure she's straight.

Horrible, awful and straight.

Unmarried, intentionally barren, also she represented her husband during a dodgy Lord Mayor scandal so long ago that it really ceases to have any relevance to her politics today.... that said though if she becomes PM, ROYAL COMMISSION NOW.

She's a breathtakingly hypocritical and terrible person who litigated mesothelioma sufferers to death but what she isn't and shouldn't be called is a dyke.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
It kind writes itself for Clark and Dawes

"Well circumstances were different when we were criticizing labor for having to change, compared to now."
"Oh, how were they different?"
"Well, we were in opposition"

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Decayed posted:

:drat:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

GoldStandardConure posted:

If Julie Bishop becomes PM I will tear my lungs out of my body and hurl them at her.

I don't see how she'd be any worse than Tone. Not better, but not worse either.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Amethyst posted:

She mightn't hate women as much.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

I've got enough for the both of them.

See what hooman posted as to why I hate Bishop just a little bit more than Abbott.

edit: the mesethelioma part, not the rest of it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

million dollar mack posted:

"Well circumstances were different when we were criticizing labor for having to change, compared to now."

This was basically the discussion just on the Drum. Human Suffering commissioner Tim Wilson was arguing you can't say the LNP are having problems like Rudd was because... the price of iron ore has dropped? 'Abloobloo, the poor libs aren't saying how bad the mess they were left is hard enough'

I hate him so.

He genuinely believes the budget/finances getting worse won't hurt the libs as 'that's the reallity'. Heard of the GFC, Tim?

Farrkkkkiiiinnnnnnn Grrruuuuuuubbbbbbbssssss, Ms Speaker.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

million dollar mack posted:

"Your name is Tony is that right?"
"That's right, glad to be here."
"And you're a former Prime Minister of Australia?"
"And one day will be again if the good people of Australia can turn the other cheek."
"And you're Kevin?"
"Hi, please let's zip this up soon."
"Well I'll go as fast as I can, your topic tonight is the history of Australian leadership. Your first question: which female deputy leader ousted their parties leader who had been elected Prime Minister due to falling approval ratings, poor actions on climate change and budget issues?"
*Bzzt*
"Yes Tony?"
"JULIA!"
"I'm sorry that's not correct."
*BZZT*
"Kevin?"
"Julie."
"That's correct."
"THAT'S WHAT I SAID!"
"You said Julia."
"No I said JuLIAR."
"That's still not Julie."
"They are when they're both liars who won't listen to the peoples calls for an ELECTION NOW."
"I'm with Tony."

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I actually think she's fairly competent. We don't want anyone competent steering the ship!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sooo the forces of evil haven't stopped just because of some silly council decision oh no. The Bendigo Mosque must be STOPPED no you can't have a link I won't let you read the comments.

The Hun posted:

LOCAL residents believe a mosque planned for Bendigo could threaten their “safety and freedom”, a tribunal heard today.

One objector said in a submission that the Islamic “call to prayer” would cause noise pollution and the mosque would increase traffic congestion because the aim was to have “as many Muslims as possible” on the site.

Opening the case in VCAT, Shire of Greater Bendigo lawyer Mimi Marcus said the objector submitted that her family was Catholic and she was concerned for their “safety and freedom”, especially as Islam had “no respect” for females.

The case before VCAT president Justice Greg Garde continues.

But that wasn't enough for the Hun today. In it's print and digital edition Rita Panahi decided we need to know where real misogyny comes from. Don't worry lads, you upstanding Anglo-Celts are safe. Because the enemy, predictably, is Islam.

quote:

Feminists ignore the real root of misogyny

WRITER and activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a formidable woman of substance, intellect and courage. Naturally that makes her a loathed figure in the modern feminist movement.

We can’t have a fiercely intelligent woman talking about worthy issues when there’s trivial nonsense to be bleating about; why worry about female genital mutilation when Tony Abbott is brazenly winking and looking at his watch?

Hirsi Ali’s principled and uncompromising approach to equality and human rights is at odds with the vacuous attention seeking ways of the shrill feminists who dominate the agenda in Australia, UK and the US, though it could be argued that our local frightbats have set a new standard in faux fury.

It’s not just Hirsi Ali’s preoccupation with justice that infuriates the sisterhood but it’s her determination to highlight what she sees as the root cause of much of the world’s entrenched misogyny — Islam.

Many on the left simply cannot abide by the only religion they don’t find abhorrent being scrutinised; time and again leftist feminist have sided with radical Islam instead of standing with the subjugated women from communities who adhere to backward cultural practices.

Who can forget the idiocy of Australian women donning hijabs in solidarity with their Muslim sisters at a time when women in Iran were being blinded in acid attacks for breaking the strict hijab code?

Then there’s Germaine Greer who has likened FGM or female circumcision, carried out on millions of women every year, to getting a boob job or piercing. It takes a truly twisted mind to compare a young girl being held down while her clitoris and labia are excised without anaesthesia to a woman choosing to change her appearance through cosmetic surgery, piercings or tattoos.

For educated, Western women to liken the agonising pain and lifelong devastating effects of FGM to plastic surgery is not only offensive, it is depraved. But this cultural relativism is popular among some feminists, who see condemnation of FGM as an attack on cultural identity.

But you won’t hear any such arguments from Somali-born Hirsi Ali who is among the estimated 140 million women around the world who have suffered FGM. She underwent the genital cutting, which is designed to rob a woman of sexual pleasure and make her socially acceptable for marriage, when she was just five years old. When she spoke recently at the Independent Women’s Forum Women of Valour dinner, Hirsi Ali called out the women who have turned the feminist movement from a vehicle to educate girls and empower women to one obsessing about “trivial bull---t.”

She implored the audience to “reclaim and retake feminism from our fellow idiotic women” and to fight the real war against women; that being waged by radical Islam.

The plea to reclaim feminism was also recently made by political activist and co-founder of Justice for Women, Julie Bindel, who wrote about her despair at the “current climate of McCarthyism within some segments of feminism and the left”.

Bindel cited gender apartheid being promoted by a UK University as an example of how far feminism has strayed from its original objectives; students at King’s College London supported gender segregation in line with the wishes of some Muslim students.

When even left wing feminist campaigners are calling their own movement “toxic” you understand why so many women refuse to identify themselves as feminists.

There’s good reason why accomplished women from all facets of life, from Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop to Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer to actor Gwyneth Paltrow, do not want to be labelled with the F word.

Why identify yourself with a movement that’s more concerned with silencing debate than championing the interests of the most powerless women in society?

And when they begrudgingly take an interest in genuine cases worthy of protest, it is in the most superficial, self-serving manner possible such as the hashtag activism that followed Islamic terrorists Boko Haram kidnapping more than 200 girls from a Nigerian school.

Surprisingly the sadistic militants who burned to death 59 schoolboys in an earlier attack have not released the girls despite celebrities posting sad selfies demanding them to do so. The students kidnapped by Boko Haram are the girls that Hirsi Ali is fighting for. They, like her, are victims of the most brutal misogyny imaginable, the type that sees girls mutilated, sold or killed in the name of religion. The type that thinks a just god wants a woman to endure the slow torturous death of stoning for the “crime” of infidelity.

For daring to speak critically of Islam, Hirsi Ali has been attacked and received death threats. She was collaborating with Theo van Gogh on a short film when the director was shot and killed by an Islamist terrorist. And earlier this year an online petition led to Brandeis University reversing its decision to give her an honorary degree.

But Hirsi Ali is not one to wrap herself in the warm cloak of victimhood. She uses her insights and intellect to shine a light on the plight of millions of voiceless girls and women around the world.

That should make her a heroine within the sisterhood but alas the stupidity that characterises much of the feminist movement has cast her as an enemy.

I could be wrong here, but I think Rita doesn't quite get the hang of intersectionality. It almost sounds like we should be abandon all thought of feminism at home because Islam. I'm not qualified to judge but it seems we're being asked to just shut up because the adults in charge don't want to deal with anything as long as someone out there can be used to avoid the question.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Matthew Beet posted:

I actually think she's fairly competent. We don't want anyone competent steering the ship!

JULIAR BISHOP promised that they would never repeat Labor's backstabbing of the leaders VOTED BY THE PEOPLE. ELECTION NOW!

Kill it before it gets started.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
FGM isn't a Muslim problem, it's an African one. Christians, Muslims and Animists all do it, in majority-Christian and Muslim countries.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

FGM isn't a Muslim problem, it's an African one. Christians, Muslims and Animists all do it, in majority-Christian and Muslim countries.

Yeah, the point is that Rita looked for an excuse to bash Australian feminists and found something cheap and nasty to bullshit with.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Fruity Gordo posted:

This is true to an extent, except that the cultural practice of FGM has spread in conjunction with Islam in many cases. It's practised to a surprising extent in South-East Asia (mainly Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei) and is associated with religious and cultural obligation. It's kinda like how male circumcision came to America as a religious practice, but arguably it's more of a cultural practice there now.

e: but in any case, it's kinda absurd to suggest that Western feminists don't care about FGM... funnily enough, people are capable of caring about more than one thing at once.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Mithranderp posted:

This is true to an extent, except that the cultural practice of FGM has spread in conjunction with Islam in many cases. It's practised to a surprising extent in South-East Asia (mainly Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei) and is associated with religious and cultural obligation. It's kinda like how male circumcision came to America as a religious practice, but arguably it's more of a cultural practice there now.

True. It just gets up my nose that it's so widespread in all religious groupings and predates Islam yet the line pushed is that it's a solely Muslim thing. Because Christians are awesome at women's liberation.

• Locked thread