Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Interestingly the bottom left picture is actually from 2004 for the second reading of a bill to triple the cost of tuition fees for universities in the UK and according to that article the bottom right is actually from the years first sitting after the 2010 election

Honestly though QT is a complete joke here in Australia and doubly so in the HOR with Bronwyn Bishop and any absent parliamentarian is likely being far more productive doing literally anything else at this stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure if we're speculating on future LNP leaders we have to consider the inherent paradox of Tony Abbott leading the party to victory at election and simply assume the new leader will be the absolute worst possible individual and as such Scott Morrison or Kevin Andrews

Scotty '16

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Pyne is a smug fuckwit but he's still just a career politician like Joe Hockey or Julie Bishop; Scott Morrison is a genuine sociopath and demonstrably takes pleasure in loving people over like our dear PM

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

We don't have enough time to do a proper tender process for a submarine purchase - joe hockey

:laffo:

The Australian public is comfortable with the 12-month iPhone cycle so it'll be a quick keynote speech from David Johnston about the new features available in the new Fukushima class nuclear submarines and they'll be available the following month

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

How is Stefanovic the most hard-hitting political journalist we have? :psyduck:

Nonsense. The hardest hitting political journalist we have is Deal or No Deal host Andrew O'Keefe

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

In light of Tone shifting from 'lying about lying' in regards to the ABC cuts video to a strategy of simply blaming the state of the budget as the reason for the broken promises, I just wanted to reintroduce this beautiful little gem of a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2VwogTkZY&t=91s

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

is this the crazy senate inquiry guy?

No he's the guy who made a career out of running at a big group of angry men about 10 metres away and then falling over before really accomplishing anything

And before that he played professional rugby league

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-02/navy-personnel-open-up-about-border-protection/5933260

quote:

Fiona said she was also aware of the level of indirect political pressure applied to border protection operations.

She said the captains of naval ships were told not to board asylum seeker vessels until they were in Australian waters, and the crews and passengers were then subject to Australian migration law.

She claims that on at least one occasion, an asylum seeker vessel sank as a result.

"In the incident that I've described where the boat overturned and people died, that pressure came from Canberra," she said.

:smith:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

SadisTech posted:

See, we keep saying things like "In the future this will be regarded as an atrocity" but the reality is that it's regarded as an atrocity now, it's just that many, many Australians think it's the right kind of atrocity and support it gleefully.

What if the people with the money and the power just keep getting more and more overt about their aims? What if they keep pandering to the absolute worst in human nature to gloss up their positions with a veneer of democratic legitimacy? I mean, globally, where is the good guy? If a neo-fascist regime actually gained power in any or all of the Western nations in the next couple of decades there's no Allied force to come in and kick it in the throat any more.

If its any consolation the scientific racism and nationalism and other movements that became popular under the Nazi party were all also present in your 'good guy' Allies nations, and arguably only lacked the institutions that put such theories into practice that ultimately lead to the holocaust. If you think 1930s Germany was uniquely capable of genocide in the Western world you can probably just go and ask any of the Tasmanian First Peoples their opinion on the matter. The outpouring of outrage and grief over the holocaust after the war lead to the progressiveness and the championing of human rights that flourished over the last 70 years and the rejection (mostly) of things like white supremacy, national identity and eugenics. Considering the short memories and inherent wickedness of people it isn't really surprising that nationalism and Nazism are finding a resurgence in Europe (Catalan, Scot, Flemish national movements and the rise of Nazism in places like Greece and Hungary). Naturally, of course, a lot of these movements are coinciding with massive inequities born from finance capitalism in their respective countries.

On the other hand I reckon its made a big enough impact on Western society that enough of the post-WWII progressive, liberal-democratic ideals have really become ingrained within our society and the mechanisms exist which can essentially legislate away a lot of the wealth and power accumulation problems responsible for so many injustices and inequities in society today without serious social upheaval. Maybe thats excessively optimistic. Australians might not have the grit or disposition to line a bunch of stockbrokers and financial advisors against the wall and shoot them but they sure as hell do in more important places like the USA and China and the delightfully romantic parts of Europe

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Does our legal fraternity have a history of people being selected for the bench based on political leanings?

John Dyson Heydon

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Whoever posted the QLD ALP's policy release a few pages back suggesting they're expecting a snap election soon, I also just got an EOI from the Queensland Electoral Commission so there is that as well

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Why exactly is Newman calling a snap election? Does he think he's going to win the rest of the seats and declare himself Reichskanzler?

Because LNP state governments are struggling all of a sudden, the federal LNP government has been on a very steady decline, and it's exceptionally unlikely he'll lose government whether the election happens now or at any other point before the 20th of June by which time things might be a lot worse, so he may as well call the election soon and retain government comfortably.

He's gonna see a very big swing but they'll start with 73 seats in a chamber of 89 and naturally there isn't any upper house to deal with because Queenslanders don't like complicated things like legislative councils, daylight savings or wearing shoes

e;

Jumpingmanjim posted:

An EOI for what?

Takin' votes :c00l:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

He has said he'll contest Ashgrove at the next election but he probably wont. Maybe he can go back to being leader of the Queensland LNP without holding a seat in parliament

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Just watching this Murray report press conference and Joe Hockey or any other Liberal having a cry about obstructionist opposition is still hilariously absurd, as are any categorical denials that the federal government is interested in changing the GST

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Cartoon posted:

The 'funny' thing about this is that if they hadn't jumped off the 'do nothing*' play book (The standard Tory play book) and just kept the ship 'steady as she goes' they would probably have sailed into a second term promising to deliver all of these unpopular things. Self accelerationalists, or indeed Muppet Government.

* Repealing the Carbon Tax, Mining Tax and 'stopping' the boats not withstanding.

I remember reading the IPA's list of 75 recommendations for the Abbott government just before the election and being flabbergasted. In reality the commission of audit was a watered down conservative cherry-picking of the IPA's libertarian shopping list and now the budget has been turned into a watered-down version of the commission of audit, which is really quite terrifying considering how loving awful and reactionary it still is.

Though one thing I'd really like for Tony Abbott to follow through with on that list more than anything else is to be like Gough, literally.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Xenophon's been a pretty good senator over the last couple of years and a definite improvement over his young liberal days stuffing student ballot boxes with dupe votes, but he lost all of my respect passing the Morrison legislation and he can go loving rot in hell forever

Muir as well the stupid ignorant bastard

No apologies for torture enablers

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I don't think changing leaders would really change the LNP dramatically or even for the best, and I don't think it'll even happen, but the prospect of the QT camera shifting over to a glum and sad Tony Abbott sitting up in some backbench corner is such an immensely satisfying conjuration I hope against hope it does indeed happen.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Paul Syvret has always been a bit of a moderate/lefty voice in the Courier Mail when he isn't making smug, forlorn attempts to explain basic economics to Queenslanders. I guess he must be kind of like the conservative version of finding an Amanda Vanstone LNP shill article in a Fairfax paper.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Just make sure for the sake of your sanity you don't look at the comments from the original courier mail article, jesus christ

bugsbunnyqld.gif

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Well at least Canberra isn't in Queensland

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Anidav posted:

I don't want to be on anyone's ignore list. I don't mean to be so annoying I just fully expected to be in a better situation by now and you guys are the only guys who don't reply to my frustration at the Brisbane job market with conservative talking points about being too slow or shouldn't have talked about superannuation or relating myself to union thugs or should have looked for work a little earlier during high school.

I'm sorry thread.

Don't worry the smug leftists that infest this thread all secretly love chanting their workers rights mantras every time they hear your tales of supposed employer cruelty, wilfully ignorant to the fact that the retail and hospitality industries will become extinct unless the oppressive chokehold of penalty rates and GST-free online sales are dealt with

e: it's actually frighteningly easy to write like this maybe I could get a job at the oz

Thinking fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 10, 2014

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Pretty sure we'll get the watered down Netflix like other countries outside the US of A.

Unless VPNs and DNS spoofers are outlawed by this legislation (lmao if they are, but also probably) this isn't really a big deal since you can still probably get what you want. The regional Netflixes are actually pretty good, UK and Canada get lots of solid UK shows and I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian Netflix ends up filled with quality UK shows as well as some Australian ones, all the Netflix "originals" (The Killing/Lilyhammer/Arrested Development etc) as well as the Netflix 'true' originals like House of Cards/OITNB/Marco Polo and then a bunch of US shows and movies on top of that.

It'll definitely be worth $10 a month even without a way to bypass geoblocking unless you literally watching nothing except Game of Thrones

HBO are supposed to be doing their own standalone online streaming platform some time in 2015 too probably because they can see the writing on the wall and like having money, but I really doubt you'll be using it without a VPN/equivalent any time soon.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Brandis has explicitly come out and said he considers bypassing geoblocking to literally be equivalent to piracy, and it's definitely something Australians are generally capable of doing and aware of, and it most certainly something Murdoch and all the other domestic barons are concerned will impact their business, so I doubt the smug clueless fuckwit will ignore it. Maybe they'll end up placing a tremendous burden on ISPs to police VPN misuse, costing them absurd amounts of money that they can pass on to consumers.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Interesting to note that, of the two women Tony Abbott decided had enough "merit" to become ministers, one was deemed unsuitable as a MHR by the learned voters of Indi and the other is so meritorious she's likely to steal his job

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

In a further attempt to disintegrate any vestiges of reality left in federal politics, Tony Abbott has accused elements of the coalition of sexism where they have criticised and blamed Peta Credlin for the LNP's woeful state

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

I think he means that it is a shame because it is actually in the realm of possibility for KAP to take national seats and Katter is better than the Nationals.

Katter might be a more honest representative for parts of rural Australia but theres no way he's better than the Nationals. Like, the Nationals are bad, but they've obviously improved since Joh and Katter is essentially a neo-Joh in terms of policy. The guy literally said gays don't exist in his electorate, I mean really.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Umart sees its fair share of boobs but probably not the kind Mickey Ds are trying to hire

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Patrick Burns's hilarious exasperated account of the affair from the channel 7 newsroom is amazing, as if they've just looked up from a workprint of TOP TEN XMAS GIFTS and THIS VIDEO WILL MAKE YOU LOVE THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE EVEN MORE and pointed out the window and shouted 'theres some NEWS happening RIGHT outside!'

Their loving idiot brains all apparently melted into goop and they figured they'd livestream the whole thing since it's probably just a coincidence that a terrorist attack would be on a chocolate shop directly across the road

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It'll be good to hear Tony talk the terrorists down by referencing his removal of the Carbon and Mining taxes, and reducing Labor waste

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Neif posted:

Now if you were a terrorist and you had a choice of 2 targets to send your particular radical message would you target -

a.) A cafe belonging to a large confectionary chain.

b.) A national media station.

I'm going to guess these guys are in way over their heads.

This is basically what the dude on 24 is saying right now, that he was spotted and ducked into the shop for cover and is making it up as he goes. I guess that also fits into the narrative of desperation if the raids in western Sydney this morning were actually connected.

Alternatively it's not a really big coincidence that they're putting flags up in windows directly over the road from a broadcaster and they do indeed have bombs all over Sydney.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Do they really, though? That assertion seemed to come out of nowhere, especially given the rest of their show hasn't exactly been the most cunningly planned ordeal.

Hopefully not because 1) nobody will get hurt and 2) Ray Hadley gets fired and nobody lets him speak ever again. Unfortunately the latter is the most unlikely thing to happen today.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

If Queensland has been any indication over the last few weeks police issue handguns are more than sufficient in the facilitation of excessive force

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Is this even a proper terrorist attack yet? It's a hostage situation with no casualties, no bombs, no demands and the only indication it isn't anything more than a poorly-thought out hostage situation is the shahada flag. Right now it doesn't even compare to the likes of the Bali or London bombings or obviously the 9/11 attacks, outside of very questionable sources saying there are bombs everywhere in Sydney, and I don't see how this could prop up a disintegrating government for the next two years

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

a siege in martin place would be pretty big news regardless because sydney

The Prime Minister of Australia would not be giving a loving press conference about it at parliament house though

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Personally I'm waiting for the full results of the MYEFO report as well as more information on the current Sydney siege events before I make a firm decision on whether any of the potentially offensive and irresponsible jokes made in this thread will be something I can find satisfactorily humourous

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Didn't call it a terrorist attack and didn't mention Islam, to his credit

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Fred Nile taking Islam terror selfies apparently

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Joe Hockey, known fat bastard, apparently very familiar with Lindt cafe / eating chocolates

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Murodese posted:

RIP MYEFO on ABC24. Line just went down.

Still working for me, you're really missing out on Joe blaming external forces / Senate / previous Labor government.

Also still blissfully ignorant of the tremendous irony of the claim that the unexpected excess defence expenditure is offset by cutting foreign aid and that being a thing is perfectly fine and desirable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

Cool player and friend? Is it really you?

:3:

• Locked thread