Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Update: 100% Completion & Unlockables, and the finale!!! (05/23/15)

Also: I'm doing a side Let's Play of Resident Evil: Revelations 2! You should check it out because it's a lot like this game, but with a good story!

Dead Space 3 is an action-thriller third-person shooter video game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC and is the sequel to Dead Space 2. It was development by Visceral Games and was published by Electronic Arts on February 5, 2013 in the United States and February 8, 2013 in Europe.

A few years after escaping the necromorph outbreak on Titan Station, Isaac Clarke's relationship is falling apart. Ellie, the spunky female protagonist who escaped with him in the last game, has become a shell of her former self, having left him in his dreary apartment to go gently caress around elsewhere in the galaxy. Isaac's rent is late and he is headed straight for the poorhouses, which is a little sad considering he's the savior of the galaxy and all.

A radical Unitologist group known as the "Inner Circle" has begun tampering with Marker test labs on major colonies all throughout the galaxy, activating them to begin the spread of the necromorph infection anew, and the story begins on Earth's moon, where Isaac has been enlisted by Captain Robert Norton and Sgt. John Carver of EarthGov (against his will) to stop the epidemic before things get any worse.

Things get worse though. I mean really that's a given. Things get WAY worse.

I wrote a post on the timeline of the Dead Space series, if you want to know more about the lore you should give it a read. It goes over all the important stuff.

Dead Space 3 is not a horror game. It's only marginally scary, the guns make ragdolls fly everywhere, and it has co-op. This game is more like Resident Evil 4: It's an action game, but sometimes has horror game elements in it. I am torn on whether it's a good or bad game so I won't pass judgement on it with just that statement alone, instead I'll elaborate on why that is throughout. Plus it's fun to shoot zombiemen, moreso than ever before. Really, more than anything, it's hilarious, which is why I like it. The over the top and out-of-its-intended-genre gameplay compliment the frankly goddamn awful story and it becomes a symphony of consistently funny schlock.

If you want to watch an LP of the first game, I suggest you check out DumbRodent's currently running playthrough of it here. It's much better than this game for sure, but maybe that's why you're here in the first place.

Yes, to an extent. As long as they are tagged and the thread doesn't turn into an FBI document you can talk about stuff we haven't seen yet. Just don't start off a discussion with I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE GIANT DRILL SHOOTING MINIGAME IN CHAPTER 12 and I'm sure we'll be fine. Also, do me a favor because Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow are is staying totally unspoiled, and

Similarly to Dead Space 2, this game does not have dedicated chapter transitions and instead makes the whole game seamless, which makes it a pain in the rear end to edit. There are also optional missions, which I will be doing because the rewards are cool/useful. I'll try to keep my editing sane; optional missions will not necessarily be optional VIDEOS, but they will be appropriately placed in the table of contents.

Additionally, me and my co-commentator friends will be doing some co-op videos! The main videos will be in single player because the game's a lot funnier that way, but I will be showing off all of the co-op missions and some of the single player ones in co-op because some really cool poo poo happens in them! I might also put up a few loving-around-during-the-story ones. Co-op missions will be marked with a little kawaii Carver head in the table of contents.

As with all of my Let's Plays, there will be two versions of every video: One with cut commentary so you don't have to hear me and my buddies blabbing over the cutscenes, and one with uncut commentary that is pretty self-explanitory. Usually I'd recommend you go for the cut commentary first but this game has very little atmosphere worth preserving so go ahead and watch the uncut version if you can't decide which you want to watch. I have subtitles turned on and this game's plot is pretty bad, so you probably won't be missing anything anyway. Still, the option is there because I know there are people who prefer it that way.

Two extra things that you should read: One, the game's font is goddamn terrible and has a thin black outline that looks like crap and is almost unreadable at YouTube's default size. If you want to read the subtitles please watch in expanded view. And two, the videos are in SIXTY FRAMES PER SECOND IN 720p WOOOAHHH so if you have a browser that supports it make sure to check that option out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

(by BMS, immortalized by Blind Sally)

(by ledgy, immortalized as my avatar for many months)

(by kloro)

(by nine-gear crow)

(by Blind Sally)

(by nine-gear crow)

(by Blind Sally)

(by Blind Sally) (CLICK IT)

(by nine-gear crow)

(by nine-gear crow)

(by Blind Sally)

(by me)

(by Sandymane)

Fish Noise posted:

Someone asked for The Binding of Isaac Clarke?

What's this? Why, it's

You may observe that Isaac is wearing the arctic suit.

That means its comes with

Oh. Oh god.

Kurieg posted:

CJacobs posted:

Now I'm just imagining Isaac riding on Caver's shoulders to pass a really tall co-op mission door with a height requirement :allears:
"You know what this means!"

"Mecha Altman!"

(by tlarn)

(by nine-gear crow)

Lurking Haro posted:

*May contain undefined biomass

(by jamiethed)

(by blind sally)

(by blind sally, again :argh:)

(by tlarn)

(by nine-gear crow)

(by Fish Noise, :hellyeah:)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 21, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today we explore the vast reaches of Antarctica and find our first clue on which character is actually the creature in disguise. I am joined by Blind Sally.

edit: Oh and by the way, if at any time the audio suddenly gets quieter (usually during firefights), it's because I had to lower the volume like 15db because otherwise it'd clip horribly and blow out your eardrums. The audio balancing in Dead Space 3 is fuckin awful; voices are very quiet, and the sound effects and music are very loud. There is no intermediary. I will do my best to fix it in post as changing my settings ingame doesn't really help much.

TEXT LOGS AND COLLECTIBLES IN THIS CHAPTER: (thanks Dead Space wiki)

quote:

TO: ENS PATRICK BECKFORD

SUBJECT: SPECIAL CARGO

I cannot stress how important it is that your cargo reaches its intended destination. Should you fail in your mission, it is not just our lives that are at stake, but those of your wives, your children --- everyone you have ever known.

I pray that the Codex finds its way safely to my hands before it is too late.

Godspeed.

quote:

EXCERPT FROM “AN END TO EARTHGOV?”

EarthGov officials yesterday denied rumors that the government was no longer able to contain the widespread violence that has gripped the colonies in recent weeks. The violence began 16 days ago on Uxor following a year-long campaign by the Church of Unitology.

Five colonies have gone dark since the Unitology riots began. There have been rumors of bombings at government laboratories and eyewitness accounts of brutal killings following shortly after.

quote:

MISSIVE TO THE FAITHFUL

When the Black Marker was first discovered on Earth so long ago, the government at the time hid all evidence of it from us. When our prophet Michael Altman spoke out against them, he was silenced.

Now EarthGov continues that legacy. They tamper with the Markers – making blasphemous copies as part of their secret research programs. They have taken our sacred relic and turned into a disease.

But nature has ways of correcting itself. By liberating the Markers we can end this cycle of death and begin this cycle of rebirth.

Join me as we take back our future - the future the marker promises to us all.

- Jacob Arthur Danik

And now some trivia:

- The achievement you get for completing the Prologue is called "A Stranger in a Strange Land", referring to the excellent 60s sci-fi classic of the same name by Robert A. Heinlein. It's a good book, read it! It's recognized by the Library of Congress as a book that shaped English literature!
- Despite taking place 200-ish years in the past (relative to Dead Space that is), Tim is still equipped with a stasis module even though he doesn't have any stasis to use. The RIG technology has existed for a very long time, it seems!
- In Classic Mode, wherein you can only use weapons from previous Dead Space games, Carver will toss Isaac his plasma cutter instead of his own submachine gun when he and Norton are leaving Isaac's apartment. Attention to detail!
- I make fun of DredgerCorp a lot in the video, because MAN what a stupid name that is, but in the Dead Space 1 prequel books, Altman (who as I mentioned is basically an Isaac stand-in) worked with DredgerCorp to uncover the first known Marker off of the gulf of Mexico on Earth! Then once they're finished they kill him to set up the beginning of the unitologist religion and turn him into a martyr (hence why the book is called Dead Space: Martyr). So they really ARE evil!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 7, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoops, I copied the wrong link, it is fixed now thank you.

JamieTheD posted:

Carver, your buddy cop partner (No, really, that's probably going to be a theme, how stereotypically buddy-cop Isaac and Carver are), gets shot several times in the chest, and I'm pretty sure once in the face. Dudes go over, claim only Isaac is still alive... And when the cutscene ends, whup, there's Carver, somehow perfectly fine (and already standing knee deep in junk) despite having been declared dead... Er... Around a minute ago.

This thing that happens is really drat funny compared to the single player version and I'll have to cut it into one of the co-op vids because man. Carver just stands there like a lemon as if he were just waiting, waist deep in bodies, for Isaac to get up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WFGuy posted:

Oh, speaking of co-op, CJacobs, will you be showing both players for those? The co-op mechanics are one of the few places I think are genuinely pretty great in DS3.

I will, yes. Whoever comes along with me, we'll both be recording video and I'll swap between our perspectives. I'll be playing as Carver during the co-op videos because some cool poo poo happens as Carver that you actually don't get to see as the Isaac player.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gridlocked posted:

Will you be showing the Isaac stuff then the Carver stuff in the one video or will they be separate?

I'll be swapping between the two dynamically as the things are happening, maybe with a funny little zoop sound effect. Like I said in the OP, co-op mission videos are going to be their own separate entity from the main plot. In fact I'll be doing them on my completed save so I can scoop up any collectibles and maybe possibly get 100% completion! Since there's no hud I can thankfully plop the name of whoever's view you're currently seeing in the corner.

KieranWalker posted:

I actually finished the game, but only in co-op and I've never played it a second time. I always thought of it in the same way as Star Trek, Resident Evil 6 and Gears 3: Fun with a friend, but there's virtually no other reason to ever play it.

Pretty much, but I have gotten a strange appreciation for it, just by playing it for so long. The combat is very fun even if the plot is hella stupid, but that's why they make a voice volume slider in the options menu! It's the same situation as Max Payne 3 in a lot of ways: If the cutscenes were skippable, the game would be way way way more tolerable to replay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night10194 posted:

The biggest problem was just how many weapons were 'It's a gun.' and 'It's a more powerful gun.'

This unfortunately is an issue but it's mostly with the Military upper/lower tool, which is to be expected. Most of the guns you can make out of it are just machine guns; apart from the carbine which is a single-action and the bullpup (I think) which fires in bursts of 3, the rest are just normal machine guns with different appearances and maybe slightly different stats.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, I need ideas for fun and entertaining bonus videos because there are no bad mods (or mods at all) for this game, so if you have any ideas throw em at me and I'll think about it. Bad Dead Space Fanfiction Theater?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I was thinking of just picking stuff up off of fanfiction.net but yeah sure stuff written by the thread would also work. Bad fanfiction is pretty great all around no matter the source, although I do prefer "genuine" bad stuff to intentionally bad stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, in my search for bad fanfics I found one that perfectly fits the tone of this LP. I'm pretty sure Blind Sally and I co-wrote it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

Hahaha, what the crap. For anyone who read over this, it's a fan fiction of the Ben Templesmith/Anthony Johnson Dead Space comic which is great (the comic, not the fan fic).

Abraham "Bram" Neumann is the protagonist, and the fan fic appears to be written right after the comic ends, after the whole ground colony has been lost and Bram has watched all his friends and colleagues die horrible deaths. All the while, necromorphs bang on the doors outside the room he's in while he sends a transmission to Earth or where ever to stay away.

Attesting to the comics/books being pretty sweet. I mentioned Dead Space: Martyr in the first episode, starring Altman, which I recommend you all read if you like Dead Space because it's pretty dang good for a tie-in novel. Dead Space 3 even has a prequel graphic novel called Dead Space: Liberation, which I will talk about in the next episode for a little bit because this game kinda shits on what it established! If you want more Danik, that's where to look!

Also, fun dumb fact about Danik, his irises are slightly different sizes in the game, which is probably why he wears those nerd glasses. They're PRESCRIBED nerd glasses.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 10, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today Isaac reveals that he is actually from the elemental plane of people who are bad with electronics, and then we meet everyone's favorite character. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS AND COLLECTIBLES IN THIS CHAPTER: (thanks Dead Space wiki)

quote:

OFFICER’S LOG: CAPT Robert Norton

Clarke hasn’t exactly made himself easy to find, and I can’t say I blame him. He’s been on the run from EarthGov since he escaped Titan Station with those Marker secrets stuck in his head. If it weren’t for Ellie’s help, we wouldn’t have known where to look.

We set a course for New Horizons Lunar Colony this morning. Now the trick is to find him before Danik does.

He’d better be worth it.

TRIVIA FOR THIS CHAPTER:

- The USM Eudora, Norton and co.'s ship, is named after one of the greek Hyades, a sisterhood of nymphs that brought the rain. The Hyades were daughters of Atlas, sisters of Hyas. When Hyas was killed in a hunting accident, the Hyades wept from their grief for the rest of their lives bringing rain to the Earth to cure a generations-long drought in ancient Greece. They literally died from grief. For their deeds they were immortalized as stars, a cluster of the same name. Eudora is one of these stars.
- Also, it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. What.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 11, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chesnok posted:

Using crosshairs instead of classic lasers should be grounds for summary execution by having to listen to Norton speak.

Actually, you can turn on the classic laser aiming in the options menu. In Classic mode it's permanently switched on. The game supports both modes, unlike Dead Space 2 which DID have the setting but faked it either way (if you turn on Classic aiming in Dead Space 2, the laser is projected from Isaac but it still goes to the direct center of the screen instead of from him outward).

Samovar posted:

Wow. Ellie's design is terrible.

Yeah dude it's pretty bad. Here's a quick comparison of the two:

They made her facial features "prettier" (thinner jaw, lower forehead etc), made her bust bigger (or just got rid of her bra I guess), and didn't just slap a V-neck on her, it may as well be a U-neck. They also made her skin tone lighter, and it's not just because she's in the darkness in the left shot; in Dead Space 2 she was more "ambiguously brown" and in this game she's more "white person with a nice tan". She actually does get a much better outfit later on, but then it gets worse again before the end so they don't get any points for it.

Like, Dead Space 2 didn't go out of its way to emphasize that Ellie is a pretty lady (she was definitely designed that way as the female lead in both games though), but boy does this game put it right up front.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 12, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the cycle of rebirth! Altman be praised!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JamieTheD posted:

Okay, it's sexy. Can we please have the character back though?

This is what upsets me the most about it. :sigh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I've got a bad feeling about this..." Riddick said, adjusting his cyber goggle things that he wears I dunno I haven't seen a Riddick movie in like 10 years.

Isaac chuckled. "Here's where the fun begins," he said, aiming his plasma cutter at nothing because he had to use kinesis to open a door for some dumb reason. Behind the door there were necromorphs. Riddick did some sick kung fu on them.

end

Night10194 posted:

Sure, she was designed to be attractive in DS2 but so was Isaac in his own way. It was the sort of Hollywood Everyman Attractive you get just by virtue of how people are designed for fiction, rather than whatever the hell we go here.

Gunner Wright is not too bad lookin in real life either~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OW-3uj9ODw&t=17s

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 12, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isaac being mute in Dead Space 1 makes the first person objective logs much funnier because it shows that he as a character within the game world is aware of the events separate from your perspective as the player; but he never says anything in the journals out loud because they went the Gordon Freeman route where people conveniently interrupt questions asked directly at him before he has a chance to answer. I'm not much a fan of silent protagonists, especially in a third person game, because Isaac's not supposed to be a surrogate for you even in DS1, he's just Isaac. I think it worked out fine in the end, but I just like him having a voice better.

Unfortunately Isaac having a voice opens him up to all kinds of dumb plot drama which we will see in the coming chapters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BMS posted:

Fix'd.

So this is what it's like to have your LP peak in episode 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bman in 2288 posted:

But I have questions about how what happened with Altman actually went down. I never read the book, but I don't think it goes exactly the way you say it does.

Well, Dead Space: Martyr tell the story of how the first Marker was uncovered on Earth, buried deep in the sand beneath the water in the gulf of Mexico. DredgerCorp co-operates with Altman, whose POV the story is told through, to erect an underwater dig site on the coast and uncover it. After a long span of time, they finally do so, and Altman assumes control of the operation.

A lot of the story is spent studying the Marker and its effects on the people working at the dig site-turned-research site, and of course about 2/3rds of the way through, someone kills someone else from pure nutso bonkers-ness and a necromorph outbreak happens in the facility. Altman, seeing what Markers are REALLY for after witnessing the carnage, flees the necromorph-filled facility at first, but then decides that it's too dangerous and that if the facility was left standing then the necromorphs would escape to the mainland. He goes back into the facility alone and detonates some super evil failsafes that are devised to sink the place deep into the ocean and take the Marker back down with it, but before he can flush the genetic code harvested from the Marker, it is stolen from him and he is knocked out.

When he awakens, he's being laughed at by a group of radical unitologist dickweeds who have stripped him of his gear and equipment and put him in an antechamber barred by thick glass walls. They reveal that they think the Marker is divine, and throughout the story there have been hushed undertones of stuff like that, but finally the guys have revealed themselves. But they know that with Altman still alive to tell its real secrets, the Marker's true ~divinity~ can never be realized by mankind, so they trap him in the antechamber with a super fiesty necromorph (they give him a spoon with which to defend himself) and watch him die. While the fight happens they sit back and pop open some wine, celebrating the leader of the group's idea to use Altman's death to make him a Dead Space: Martyr and pretend he was a prophet that inspired the cult of Unitology.

Dead Space: Martyr takes place hundreds and hundreds of years before Dead Space, even hundreds of years before the events of the prologue of this game, but the implication is that is that they then take the genetic codes they stole from Altman and hand them over to their Overseer who then passes it down to the next and so on and so on until hundreds of years later when they reach the current Overseer, the still-unseen (in the games, anyway) person at the head of the marker test sites on places like Titan Station and Earth's moon. The codes are then extracted from Isaac's head inbetween Dead Space 1 and 2 (see: eye poke machine) and the two are combined to basically hypnotize the poor guy (well, all 5 patients in the test lab, Stross included) into making the Marker on Titan Station.

It's a pretty grim book.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 13, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

whowhatwhere posted:

So... Then what actually started the unitology stuff? The marker itself?

Yeah! The insanity and dementia spread by the Marker are actually it sending out a signal that urges people to further spread its influence, so that it can assume control of their minds and turn them into necromorphs which then assist in taking its signal further and further et cetera. The reason the Unitologists in Dead Space: Martyr believe the Marker to be divine is because it told them it was, so that they would spread its influence. Utilizing Altman's death and manipulation of EarthGov, they made it look like it really WAS divine because they otherwise would be laughed at like usual conspiracy nuts. By the 2500s, Unitology is a real established and institutionalized religion much like Christianity or Catholicism. it's just that, by the time Dead Space 3 takes place, they've gone a little nuts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 13, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's the Dead Space timeline as it currently exists, rewritten from the Dead Space wiki's page on it. So, if you ever wanted to know the major important Dead Space lore, just read this big post and it'll fill you in on the story so far. I paraphrased some of the less important parts but this is the gist of it:

Prehistoric era: The black Marker supposedly crash lands on Earth, making a crater huge enough that it eventually terraforms into the Chicxulub crater in the Gulf of Mexico that also exists on real life Earth. Nobody knows what year this happened but according to local legend, the Marker has been down there as long as humans have.

Late 2100s: Altman is born, DredgerCorp is founded

2214: Altman and his girlfriend Ada move to the Chicxulub crater and in co-operation with DredgerCorp dig up the Marker. Only bad things can ever come of this. The events of Dead Space: Martyr happen and Altman becomes a Dead Space: Martyr in the name of Unitology, but not before he manages to sink the Marker.

2314: The prologue of Dead Space 3 happens. Simultaneously, back on Earth, EarthGov uses the codes yanked from Altman to reverse-engineer an imperfect Black Marker, known as the Red Marker because of its color and the material it's made out of. There's nowhere they can test it on Earth, so they ship it out with a research team to the newly discovered planet Aegis VII. Horrible things happen, but not before researchers manage to use the Marker to create the first recombinant microbial life form (GRIBBLIES). EarthGov takes this as a sign of the Marker being a potentially infinite source of energy, because they're stupid.

2315: The first Aegis VII outbreak happens and the entire colony is basically murdered by necromorphs. The Red Marker pedestal is created in a hurry to contain the quickly spreading necromorph outbreak and the research team on the colony fire it, killing themselves but forcing the Red Marker into dormancy, trapping the Hive Mind deep within the planet.

2446: The Ishimura launches for the first time and the Resource Wars begin on Earth. Curse you, Big Oil. Planet Crackers descend upon unsuspecting and uninhabited planets to mine them for valuable resources that are then utilized for advancing space travel technology in hopes of finding somewhere else for the human race to continue, because Earth is almost done at this point.

2465: :siren:Isaac is born!:siren: It is a great day for steel-toed boot manufacturers everywhere.

2505: The CEC illegally enters the Aegis Cluster, which has been condemned by EarthGov to prevent anyone from ever uncovering the failed Marker test site on Aegis VII. Aegises 1-6 are all mined and turned into shelled husks and then the CEC makes a colony on Aegis VII, basically dooming the lives of tens of thousands of people.

2508: The CEC initiate the planet crack on Aegis VII, which uncovers the Marker and the Hive Mind from their sandy tomb like the ark of the fuckin covenant or something. Since the CEC is in the Aegis cluster illegally, they don't radio back to EarthGov to tell them what they've found, which doesn't really matter because EarthGov would deny its existence anyway. The colony starts experiencing the same insanity and dementia that the previous colony went through because of their closeness to the Marker, and of course, poo poo goes awry almost immediately and the colony is swarmed by necromorphs directed to reproduce by the now-awake Hive Mind. The Marker, in an attempt to save it from being destroyed by the rabid colonists, is brought aboard the ship and put in storage.

2508, again: The events of Dead Space: Extraction happen as Ishimura buddies Gabe and Lexine Weller attempt to extract themselves from the Aegis cluster while everything goes to poo poo around them. Surprisingly, they make it out alive! Good for them!

More 2508: A few weeks later, the events of Dead Space 1 happen! Not even 2 days after the outbreak began, Isaac, Kendra, Hammond and the redshirts arrive in its airspace in the Kellion. Kendra knows what's going on, but everyone else has been sent to their demise. As an undercover agent of EarthGov, she's been sent to recover the Marker and take it back to Earth. As we know from her body parts being splattered all over the place, the Hive Mind was not having any of that. Isaac escapes in a battered and busted-up escape shuttle, leaving the Marker behind as the cork of the cracked planet fell down on top of it, destroying the whole thing and burying the Marker in sand and debris once more.

Between 2508 and 2509: Isaac is discovered aboard the fuel-less escape shuttle by a Pleasure Cruiser ship in the Yothei system, lightyears away from the Aegis colony. The poor guy is basically gibbering and insane when he's scooped up by EarthGov, who detect the transmission and quickly kidnap him. They take him to Titan Station, where they imprison him along with the other four or so people who have come in direct contact with a Marker and survived. They use the genetic codes stolen from Altman now hundreds of years ago to root through Isaac's brain and extract all the information they need to build a new, near-perfect Marker. Over the course of the next 3 years, they do so.

2511: The events of Dead Space 2 happen. The Site 12 Marker, along with Titan Station, are destroyed. Isaac and Ellie are literally the only survivors of the entire incident and EarthGov believes them to be dead, so they go into hiding on Earth's moon. For about 3 years Isaac stares at the Marker test site literally visible from his apartment window and does nothing, very slowly going nuts-er because of his proximity to it and his past history being touched by them. Ellie leaves Isaac to his devices because she gets tired of him moping around. What the gently caress.

2514: John Carver's wife, a data archaeologist assigned to the planet Uxor to study the Shroud Marker, discovers SHOCKING SECRETS THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE!!. The events of Dead Space: Liberation occur, wherein Danik's radical Unitology group assaults Uxor in an attempt to 'free' the Marker from its test site shackles just as they do on Earth's moon in chapter 1 of this game. They are successful, and the EarthGov forces are wiped out by necromorphs because this is a Dead Space game and therefore the military is completely useless. Damara refuses to give up her information on where the "Marker home world" could potentially be, so Danik kills her and plans to steal it. Meanwhile, Ellie and company have joined the fight on Uxor, seeking out Damara so they can ask her about said research. Little do they know, she's already dead, and by the time Carver leads them home, Damara and their son have already turned into necromorphs, so he has to put them down. Ellie covertly takes the research but discovers it was written in Marker script by Damara in a last-ditch effort to keep it from being read by EarthGov and needs to be decoded, and there's only one person she knows who can read Marker script.........

2515: Ellie hyperspace-jumps to the airspace of the mysterious place mentioned, and as I will mention in the next video, Damara's research never comes up again and instead the game makes up some other reason for Isaac to be contacted by Norton and Carver. Then the events of this game finally happen!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 13, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As with most Dead Space thing names, it's either mythological or significant to the plot, and the Roanoke name is definitely significant to the plot. We just haven't had time to asses just how deeply yet!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The gold marker was the huge-rear end one in Dead Space 2, the one that almost caused a "convergence" event, whatever that is.

edit: You only see it for a few seconds before it goes into crazy necromorph airlifing overdrive mode but it's black and gold:

hence the nickname. It's actually called the Site 12 Marker.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 14, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Tesla posted:

Dead Space 2 wasn't even going to have a final boss fight, until the playtesters said "Can't wait to see the final boss!", the devs then poo poo themselves and put together that Battle in the Mind thing literally at the 11th hour, or so I remember it anyway.

This is true, and allegedly they were gonna have Isaac die at the end instead of having Ellie come crashing through the roof, but I've seen less proof of that being the case. MortuusLupus, a member of SA, worked on 3 (or at least had some insider knowledge on it) and answered quite a few questions about it in the Games thread.

edit: Unfortunately the thread seems to be lost to the sands of time now, which sucks.

Also, heads up, the first co-op video is coming soon. I will warn you now that my co-op partner's framerate is... less than smooth. Hopefully YouTube still lets me put it up at 60 fps even though his varies wildly between "somewhat stable" and "Powerpoint Slideshow Space 3".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 15, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BMS posted:

How are you doing the co-op videos? Side-by-side on the screen, or what?

Also, I'm totally fine with 60FPS of 5-20FPS.

JamieTheD and I both recorded our screens and separate audio, and then he sent me his audio/video so I could put them together. In editing I'm going to switch back and forth between our screens periodically (it'll have the name of the person whose view you're seeing in the corner, but I'll always be playing Carver either way).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a few occasions, yes, and one specific point in the main campaign. Usually they tether Carver and Isaac together by a couple rooms and if you get too far it won't let you proceed any further, and when one enters a cutscene the other is teleported right to them. Interestingly enough there are some areas that give you multiple objectives, and one particular one late in the game allows the co-op partners to split up and do the different parts of it on their own instead of sticking near each other! I don't know if I'll be showing it off in video form because it's not really that different from the single player, but I will mention it in the single player video for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Here is the first co-op video, hooray! Today JamieTheD and I run through the same section of the game that we've just gone through in the main LP, in co-op, so that you the viewer can see how it works. I don't know what else to put in this post to make it worthy of its own section like the LP so far because I already showed off the collectibles the first time I went through here, so instead I'll talk about retro mode.

Retro mode, as I mention at the start of the video, is the reward for beating Hardcore mode. It makes the game look like a really cool old school game and compressed video doesn't do it justice, so here are some uncompressed screenshots:

It looks very cool. (also now you know what chapter 7 is called, I hope you are looking forward to it)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It actually physically changes the color correction overlay (like a shader) to be comprised of a mesh of these little black X's, which are then automatically filled in with the color that is in the center of the X. Between the X's they put the darkest shade of the color, which causes a dithering effect. Since the X's are colored based on what's in the center it creates the sort of pixelated matte coloring effect you'd see in old school FMV games.

Like this square cropped from the first shot for example; the dithering effect is caused by the game placing the light blue on the inside of the X's and the dark blue on the outside.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 17, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, fun fact, Retro Mode is also a toggle in Broken Age!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpomEehy6fM&t=77s

It works basically the same way, but with larger X's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

David Copperfield posted:

Doesn't it also make the environments and enemies move at a lower FPS like a really old FMV?

It does, yeah! It makes enemies really easy to hit. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Do you like backtracking? Blind Sally and I like backtracking. Also, Mass Effect and teleporting Carver! I am joined by Blind Sally. Perhaps that's a bit redundant. Oh well.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER:

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: ELLIE LANGFORD

THE SYSTEM IS EXTREMELY REMOTE, BEYOND EVEN THE MOST DISTANT SETTLEMENT. IT WAS A TERRIBLE RISK SHOCKING IN BLIND AS WE DID BUT WE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. IF WE WANT ANY HOPE OF STOPPING THIS MARKER EPIDEMIC, WE HAVE TO FOLLOW THEIR SIGNALS - WE HAVE TO FIND THE SOURCE.

SANTOS HAS DEPLOYED A SHOCKBEACON FOR THE EUDORA TO FOLLOW AND WE ARE NOW HEADED INTO A CLUSTER OF DEBRIS IN ORBIT - POSSIBLY THE REMAINS OF AN ANCIENT FLEET.

AS WE CLOSED IN TO INVESTIGATE, OUR SHIP WAS ATTACKED BY AUTOMATED MINES. WE JETTISONED INTO THE DEBRIS FIELD AND MANAGED TO STOW ABOARD A FAIRLY INTACT SHIP, THE CMS ROANOKE. THERE'S NO POWER BUT THERE IS AIR TRAPPED WITHIN THESE WALLS. I REMOVED A PIECE OF SHRAPNEL FROM BUCKELL AND MANAGED TO STABILIZE HIS CONDITION.

AFTER SETTING UP DISTRESS BEACON, SANTOS AND I SET OUT TO INVESTIGATE THE SHIP. WE SOON DISCOVERED THE ADMIRAL HAD BEEN LOCKED IN HER QUARTERS, PRESUMABLY FOR GOING CRAZY. WHEN WE FORCED OPEN THE DOOR TO HER ROOM, WE DISCOVERED COMPLEX MAPPINGS OF THIS FORMER MILITARY'S EXPEDITION. THE ADMIRAL KNEW SOMETHING ABOUT THE MARKERS AND HOW THE RELATE TO THIS PLANET, BUT IT'S ALL WRITTEN IN MARKER GIBBERISH.

ONLY ONE MAN I KNOW CAN DECIPHER THIS. I ONLY HOPE ROBERT CAN FIND HIM AND FOLLOW THE SHOCKBEACONS AS PLANNED. IF HE DOESN'T, I FEAR OUR SMALL GROUP WILL EITHER STARVE TO DEATH OR SUFFOCATE AND MANKIND WILL GO EXTINCT AS THE MARKERS CONTINUE TO SPREAD.
So, yeah, as I mentioned in the video, this one retcons the otherwise majorly important prequel graphic novel. Dead Space continues its tradition of retconning some of the most important plot poo poo in the series via not presenting stuff that was in the books, in the games.

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: MAJORIE GRAVES

TURN IT OFF IT SAYS TURN IT OFF IN MY HEAD IT TALKS TO ME TELLS ME THINGS THAT NO ONE ELSE CAN HEAR JUST FOR ME JUST FOR ME TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF AND IT WILL ALL GO AWAY IT WILL ALL STOP
I am glad I picked this up, easy .2% completion for me hooray (it really is worth .2% completion).

quote:

PERSONAL JOURNAL: Ellie Langford

I wasn’t sure how he’d feel – seeing me again. He’s been through a lot, and I with him for much of it. Before I left, I could tell things were bothering him. But he did what he always does – suppressed it, kept it locked inside.

I asked him when he was going to face his demons. He said some things should remain buried. Nothing good comes from digging up the past.

It’s strangely fitting that we find ourselves together once more, in this 200 year-old flotilla, doing just that.
jesus loving christ, ellie :cripes:

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: SGT John Carver

I know there's no hope of reuniting with him. I know I'll never celebrate his birthday again. I know I'll never see him grow up to be just like me. Or better than me.

I know he's dead.

So why do I still hear his voice? Why do I hold out hope that I'll find him? That I'll be able to hold him one last time? That I'll finally be able to tell him I'm sorry?

Stupid. There are no second chances.
jesus loving christ, carver :cripes::respek::smith:

quote:

PERSONAL-LOG: Dr. H. Quiroga

Now I know how the holy man must feel when he is called by God. The intense rush of infinity, the pure exhilaration of it is almost too much!

It's like a chorus of thousands! My friends, shipmates... everyone who has been called up to God speaks to me now!

They want me to know everything. They NEED me to know everything! What secrets will they share?

I go now - a vessel waiting to be filled. Share with me the secrets of the Universe!

TRIVIA:

There is no trivia for this chapter, it's just backtracking. However, you might have noticed a special suit that I told you to ignore dammit. We will be seeing that suit later and at a very good time, I promise. But not now. Now is not that time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just a heads up, people have been putting fraudulent copyright claims on my videos, so some of them may go private for a little while while I sort it all out. It hasn't happened to any of the uncut videos so far, just the cut ones, so I'm sorry if you've been watching those. As soon as the claims are resolved I will have them back up. This has happened before with different false flaggers and it worked out mostly well then, so hopefully it goes well this time too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Do you think a bot is doing that because it can discern the game audio in the cut versions but can't tell when you both are talking during cutscenes?

That's probably the legitimate explanation, yes. The first video, for example, was tagged at 13:20 on the cut version. The uncut version was not flagged at all so there is no copyright tag on it. At that same second in the uncut video, Blind Sally and I are talking over the game audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4fXgy48Z7c&t=800s

So their bullshit automatic audiovisual analyzing thing did not catch the audio and thus did not flag the video.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

paragon1 posted:

And now they're a power source!? The hell? When did that happend (:ssh: it happened when they started writing the third game:ssh:)

It's actually always been that way. The origin story of the Markers has always been that the human race wanted to harness them for their infinite energy because all of the current energy sources on Earth have been burned out. But since this is a video game in the science fiction genre, it turns out that the arcane alien obelisks were not honest in their intentions.

The retcon thing is true though, they never intended for there to be sequels to Dead Space and that's why DS1's lore wraps up in a nice bow if you let go of all the timeline inconsistencies introduced by the external media (the animated movie, specifically).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The main issue the human race is having in Dead Space-land is that there is no more room for humans to exist. Part of space travel in the Dead Space universe is about finding resources to keep fueling space travel and part of it is a desperate search for somewhere, ANYWHERE for the human race to continue to thrive because Earth is 100% done and as you could probably tell in Chapter 1 Earth's moon is just poo poo stacked on top of poo poo stacked on top of more poo poo. Places like Titan Station exist as residential space stations and planets like Uxor exist as colonies but so far the population crisis has caused the economy to circle the drain. The reason the moon is such a shithole is because nobody can afford anything.

It's extremely improbable that after hundreds of years of space travel nobody has discovered another Earth-like planet, but Dead Space is basically a series about the government being unable to keep their priorities straight and they care more about fueling technology than the survival of their own people. They were banking so hard on the Marker project that they didn't consider that maybe an evil ancient obelisk that makes space aliens might not be the best source for renewable energy.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 20, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It'll all make sense by the end of this game, don't worry it all gets explained in a thorough and easy to understand wahahaha nope I couldn't do it.

But they try, at least, and that's the important part.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Haerc posted:

Is the end Isaac waking up at the bottom of a well and realising it was all just a dream, the last 30 minutes of gameplay is just Isaac feebly trying to climb out via QTE?

Yes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually, if you're in single player only Isaac falls in, but in co-op, Isaac has to operate the crank while Carver fills the bucket full of tiny markers and plot conveniences, and then the crank breaks and they both fall in. Sorry you had to find out about it this way Blind Sally, I apologize

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey good news, the claims got resolved in my favor so now the dickweeds that were trying to claim copyright of my silly let's play are no longer a problem. It sucks that Google is terrible about handling copyright issues and false flags in all aspects of YouTube and their business in general, but at least it's over now and we can get back to the funnies.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is time to talk about the audio of Dead Space 3 for a little bit, namely the fact that the audio balancing is loving horrible. You may have noticed a few sudden volume changes whenever necromorph shootin' starts in the videos so far, and it's because unedited, the waveform for a given video looks like this:

(red lines indicate clipping audio)

See if you can spot what parts of this waveform are cutscenes and what parts are necromorph fighting. I know what you're thinking: "Holy poo poo what the gently caress did you do?!" The answer is absolutely nothing, this is just what happens to the game's audio because it has absolutely no normalization or equalization to speak of. I had this problem with Dead Space 1 too but that LP did not go on long enough for me to find a way to fix it; it's actually an issue with every game in the series. So far I've been manually editing it but I have been trying real hard to come up with a way to equalize it so that it's not godawful.

There is a particular issue with the sound effects that is kind of hindering my ability to just do normalization automatically and wipe my hands of it and that's that the game's audio is very, very bassy. Doing normalization automatically causes the bass to be crushed to the point of sounding tinny during firefights (it makes Isaac's guns sound hilariously wimpy, however) because there's just SO MUCH of a difference between the calm and the not calm parts.

Unfortunately changing the sound settings ingame actually does very little until you put one toward the extreme ends, at which point it either becomes almost inaudible or it vastly overpowers the rest. By default, all 3 volume settings: Music, Sound FX, and Voices are all at 100 and that waveform up there is what it looks like. All of the sounds are loud and crushed even if you set the voices and music to be higher and like I've been mentioning so far, the music overshadows the sound effects too at seemingly random intervals. It's really, really bad.

But anyway, my point is, I'm editing episode 5 right now and I'm trying to put a stop to it as best as I can so that I no longer have to manually edit the volume levels of every video. If I figure something out that works well I'll let you know, because the game's sound settings are too schizophrenic and poor to rely on.

If anyone DOES have some suggestions on how to fix this I'd be glad to hear them because at the moment I'm a little stumped, audio editing is not my field of expertise.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 23, 2014

• Locked thread