Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wizgot posted:

Why is there such a sue culture in the United States? I mean seriously, every single time someone has a little, insignificant and stupid thing happen to them, their friends and families encourage them to sue the person or party who caused them such "pain, suffering or distress". It is so loving stupid. There are literally people who dedicate their whole lives earning an income just by suing businesses and people. It has to be because of the lovely health system right? I mean, you have to cover your rear end to pay for an outrageous doctors bill. No. Its loving not. It might have developed because of that but sure as poo poo today that's not the reason. It's because we Americans must feel entitled. It's like we think its in our constitution and for that reason it is a basic American right to be able to pursue compensation for everything that we feel is wrong in the world.

I love it when people say "Ill sue your rear end". Pathetic.

Simple, 50%+ of all law students that graduate can't find work, and a lot of them offer free legal consultation. So you just call a bunch of people to do free stuff for you to cost other people money. Seriously do other countries really have such an issue with it's fun to be a dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Yeah it stems from too many lawyers, that anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone if they have a few hundred bucks, and an entitlement mindset. Also outdated laws that are easy to exploit to get money, for instance copyright and patent laws.

if you can prove your neighbor threw out your mail they can get 10 years in federal prison.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

1gnoirents posted:

and honestly, ive seen a lot of lawsuits go through that go nowhere. I actually dont know anybody who unjustly won a lawsuit, and definitely nobody who got "overpaid" for one. Almost always they get exactly or less than what they deserve (which is often, nothing), and the lawyers get paid for it anyways.

now there are always some lucky sacks out there who win the lawsuit lottery but thats all it is, a lottery

my favorite is still what, happened to howard hughes fortune

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
we need to made a second house and senate whom's job is to just remove old laws from the books.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like if you are handicapped and some company isn't set up as the law would dictate to help you in other countries there is a government office you can call and they will deal with it, in the US it just opens the company to be sued and a specific individual needs to sue them.

didn't a government aid office in britain get opened up by the government, on like the third floor of a stairs only building a couple years ago?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Also this. Lawsuits being used as a solution to socioeconomic problems that other countries address with social programs.

pfft who cares about those weak poo poo countries, who can't even have a real war.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wizgot posted:

That is stealing though. Mail is your property and that right should be defended however, 10 years is harsh. A fine and a bit of jail time would be perfectly acceptable.

the law is from the 1800's

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wizgot posted:

This is getting off topic. The freaking constitution is from the 1700's. So what. If a law is old and works, it works. It's not like its one of those stupid laws where women aren't allowed to drive in a house coat, whatever that is.

my point is that we need people to actively review all our laws, once they hit a certain age since the judicial branch don't seem to care.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

univbee posted:

Due to her age and how bad the burns were the doctors even thought she would die from her injuries initially. She never fully recovered and died not very long after the lawsuit closed up (and instead of millions i think she only a few hundred grand).

Hell, when she first approached McDonald's all she wanted were her medical bills covered and a pledge to brew their coffee at a lower temperature, iirc they pretty much told her to get hosed and that's when the lawsuit escalated.

the first thing you do is tell anyone who isn't immediate family is get hosed, if they ask for money.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Mange Mite posted:

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.[2] McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices.

well when you have served 100 billion customers, 700 is like .00000000000000000000001 of the customer base so he is correct.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dick Fagballzson posted:

That's not that many people given the numbers mcdonalds serves. Also sounds like people got a lot of money they didn't really deserve because they weren't careful with a hot drink. Being a retard doesn't entitle you to money.

Uh yes it does it gets you housing and food.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

BluPotato posted:

It's because nobody want's to man up and be responsible for their own actions anymore.

dude that cost money.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

if you rear end someone and your car explodes, i suppose you shouldnt have been such an idiot?

doesn't work like that since what and individual does and what a company does are not comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

im guessing that your estimation of how prevalent this is might be influenced by disproportionate media coverage, by people with vested interest in making people believe what you just said

basically you are kind of a moron, but not more than average i guess

assuming you are smarter than everyone else makes you just as retarded as everyone else.

• Locked thread