Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

well he hacked up the camera all right

mission successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OSI bean dip posted:

introduce the noisebridge homeless shelter model to your neighbourhood!

those countries will outright ban hackerspaces shortly after these tours

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

someone steals the underpressure apparatus from the lab and a hobo squatting in the elevator shaft next door contracts genetically-engineered syphilis after someone pisses on a petri dish

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

vitamins aren't removed from food you dolts, the equipment to do so would be expensive for zero economic gain

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Noisebridge listserv has discovered that it is cold in winter and are looking for a doocratic solution to the chill in the space

I hope it involves fire

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ayn rand hand job posted:

i am paid to show the engineers in my lab pictures of charred and burned hands resulting from electrical accidents and how to work with exposed conductors

im also paid to show them arc flash and make sure that all of our electrical cabinets are kept clear of hazards

also who touched the poop on the heat press

what they're trying to get at is that a voltage high enough to pass a deadly current through your heart has to exist

people who say "current kills, not voltage" are forgetting that; a lead acid battery can source current hundreds or thousands of times greater than that which will kill you but 12 volts isn't going to drive a deadly current through your body

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Apocadall posted:

makers are basically people that couldn't get a degree to be a real engineer, so they like to play pretend with equipment they know nothing about

people who call themselves makers are actually a couple steps below actual hobbyists because they need everything spoonfed to them in the forms of arduino-centric tutorials

edit: I looked into the makerspace in my city a couple years ago before I realized how poo poo makers are and the list of equipment was lower in quality and variety than the poo poo I have at home - except for the laser engraver that they did useless poo poo with like etching logos into hamburger patties

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 20, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

oh i thought they were the ones who look down on tutorials

I actually don't know the proper definitions but I blame hackers/makers for hackaday going from an interesting site to a non-stop feed of "holy poo poo this guy figured out how to blink two LEDs with an arduino" a couple years ago

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ayn rand hand job posted:

no poo poo, you can die from like 60 volts if you grab an exposed conductor and exposed return with wet hands. the current will take a path across your heart and kill you

as i said, the major issue is the positioning, not the voltage

the human body isn't ohmic, and you can make a few general approximations that will give you a rough estimate, but "higher voltages mean higher currents" doesn't do as much for surviving an incident than preventing the current from pathing over the heart

no one is arguing otherwise we're just criticizing the simplistic and wrong "current kills, not voltage" line that people repeat

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mister Sinewave posted:

Bad news: everything including web sites will change over time. It's probably changed again/more since two years ago on top of that. It's a waste of time to pine/grudge/gripe

Alternately: no one gives a poo poo what you thought of some web site two years ago

okay

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mister Sinewave posted:

I felt smart the first time I used a 74HC14 with a resistor and a cap to make an LED blink, then played with the values to get different rates.

Then when I wanted something other than a 50% on 50% off blink I felt super smart using a couple diodes to make it basically use one resistor for the ON cycle and one for the OFF :shepface:

the 555 never made intuitive sense to me, it was all witchcraft inside
the 74HC14 setup on the other hand was a great learning experience because I could visualize the circuit path a lot easier

555 makes a lot of sense if you look at a block diagram of what's inside it; it's almost the same concept as that Schmitt trigger NOT oscillator except that the threshholds for switching on/off are set at 1/3 and 2/3 VCC instead of at whatever voltage the input stage of the logic gate feels like working at

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mister Sinewave posted:

Sure, if I could go back in time I'd tell my past self that Actually the 555 block diagram in fact makes perfect sense, and furthermore it's really the same thing as what he got working but improved.

exactly what my teenaged past self needed to hear to grasp the concept

yes actually because it's just a slightly more complicated version of the same thing

if you thought this instead of going "durr literally magic" then maybe you'd have had a shot at understanding it

edit: literally lol at this guy arguing against the idea that you can learn more easily by building off of concepts that you already understand

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 21, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

there's nothing wrong with using micros to blink stuff

555s are just fun as hell though :3:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

i wish noisebridge was in my city so i could steal stuff without anyone ever wondering where it went

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

you sound like a really unpleasant person to be around, because you apparently poo poo on people's hobby projects when you don't like them, instead of trying to teach them something new or just ignoring them.

lmbo i do ignore them you dunce

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

yesssssss old school noisebridge is returning

Really though? Only a few thefts in the last few weeks?

I guess they don't count stuff like equipment missing enough equipment that it's cheaper to buy a new one as a theft

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

uncurable mlady posted:

fwiw i see this sort of learned helplessness in my students ("help I tried to install x and it didn't work" "what did you try and what didn't work?" "I downloaded the thing and tried to run it and it didn't work and I don't understand what's going on just fix it!") and honestly a lot of time the greater kindness is to try and discover what they actually want to do and help them do that

that's called the X/Y problem, as in "they wanted to do X but mistakenly thought they needed to do Y to accomplish it and were seeking out help for that"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Buttcoin purse posted:

I guess I'm a grognard because I'm not excited about people who decide that they need to give new names to things because reasons? Like in my day we just said "bathroom" now they call it a "maker space", WTF?

lol

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I watched a man poop on the lawn of the towing company while I waited

so this is how maker spaces are born...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster