Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

remember that twilight zone episode where the shady gambler dies and thinks he's gone to heaven because he's winning all the time and is flush with cash and such but then he figures out winning all the time can get boring and realizes he's in hell

isn't that still a pretty good deal, he could still have sex with beautiful women or eat delicious food or do drugs or read good books or w/e

it really stretched the limits of believability imo

That's because you are also addicted to losing when you are real honest gambler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What was that episode of either the Outer Limits or New Twilight Zone where people who lived in a hotel or big apartment building were feeding guests to a monster that lived in the dust shoot or garbage. It looked like a penis with a mouth. It was on the same time as that Outer Limits episode where nanotechnology helps a man become immortal and literally grow eyes in the back of his head.

Help please

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
idk getting the p is awesome and all but half the fun is trying to get the p.

it's a metaphor like "pussy is not the destination but the journey."

put that on my tombstone plz

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

TheJoker138 posted:

Was it Twilight Zone or Night Gallery that had the episode where hell was just a waiting room where you were forever waiting to be let into the actual hell?

supernatural s6 ep20

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

^^^^^
Yeah that one Supernatural episode is the only time I remember seeing anything like that.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Tales From The Darkside
"Halloween Candy"

A midget in a troll costume traps a mean old man in night time forever or at least until his son comes to check on him and finds out he's been turned into grandpa jerky and is probably being eaten by bugs and poo poo.

10/10

There is exactly one Tales from the Darkside episode I remember, and it's the one where the fat lady's food starts coming to life and talking to her, and she sews her mouth shut and dies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2X88ooLoc

I lied, there is another one, where Jerry Stiller is an rear end in a top hat talk radio host who comes in complaining about a dead guy in a car in his parking space, and as his show goes on he gets calls from people from random points in history and in the end he realizes that HE WAS THE DEAD GUY IN THE CAR AND HE IS NOW IN HELL, DOOMED TO TAKE CALLS FOR ETERNITY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7wQm8ZacZo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

scopes posted:

I binge-watched a bunch of twilight zone last time I was sick and the only one I remember was the one with the tiny wind-up alien robots that come out of a UFO and terrorize that poor lonely woman in a farmhouse, where the big reveal was that they were normal human astronauts and she was just a mad huge alien all along

that's one of my favorites, I think that's the last episode of the original series

the pretty lady being ugly to the pig people one is pretty good

edit: I was wrong, The Invaders is from season 2. They did, however, do an excellent version of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge in the last season.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 16, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Pitdragon posted:

I saw this as a child, it haunted me for weeks. I can't even remember it that well, and I'm sure if I went back it would look really bad and dumb, but goddamn that monster poppin out of the trunk and pulling poor bastards in to their death made my blood run cold back then

It's based on a King short story, "The Raft." Maybe the most frightening thing he's ever written, because the end is just so drat bleak.

the last "survivor" just gives up and begs the thing to at least make it painless. Like, there's pretty much never a sliver of hope in the entire story. It's just exhaustion and defeat.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The best twilight zone is the one the dinkle guy gets super strength because the alien design is the worst and it's hilarious.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It's a cookbook!!!!

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
the twilight zone episode where the helicopter kills an actor and his two child co-stars & the twist is no one gets prosecuted despite the clear negligence involved

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You guys are crazy if you don't think the best one is when the astronauts crashed in a dessert and thought they were on another planet and that one kills everyone for water then finds a diner later.

I also like wheb there are double twists, like the Martians are coming but nope the aliens from Venus killed them all and they've been colonizing for years.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the episode where a man pretends to be a boxing robot and has his rear end kicked by an actual boxing robot

the twist is that fighting robots would kick rear end

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Sheep-Goats posted:

List of movies to legally buy from a video selling website:

-Trilogy of Terror (1975)
Daterape with a tweest; split personality murder; killer vodoo doll

-Creepshow
Happy Father's Day; alien biology out of control; a rising tide; the crate; infestation

-Creepshow II
Indian curse; you never swim alone; hit and run gone bad

-Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
Steve Buscemi necromancy; nice cat buddy; keep your promises

Don't watch Creepshow 3 it's real bad.

Most quoted lines from "Creepshow" among my friends:

When requesting something, we added "It's Father's day Bodelia! I want my cake!"

For no reason one person in the group would say "You can't kill us, we're already dead." then the rest intone, quietly "Already dead..."

And occasionally, when something wasn't working out right for someone else, we would say to them "Just tell it to call you Billie!"

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Which show had a finger coming out of a guy's sink? I think it drove him crazy moving around and then he took a hedge trimmer to it when it grew really long and attacked him. I'm not sure what the twist was.

It's entirely possible that was just a strange dream.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Which show had a finger coming out of a guy's sink? I think it drove him crazy moving around and then he took a hedge trimmer to it when it grew really long and attacked him. I'm not sure what the twist was.

The twilight zone often had to stretch out its premise pretty significantly, but even for it, "finger in sink" seems like it would be rather threadbare.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the dog one was a good one

dogs are good they can detect hell

they can also detect terminators

every night before bed i walk my dog thru the house to make sure satan isnt hiding anywhere

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Career creepy guy Tom Noonan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtmjtoiq9U8

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

TheJoker138 posted:

Was it Twilight Zone or Night Gallery that had the episode where hell was just a waiting room where you were forever waiting to be let into the actual hell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshvqdva0vY

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've never heard of Tales from the Darkside before but most of the ones here seem to be AND THEY WERE DEAD AND/OR IN HELL ALL ALONG, was it basically a worse version of Twilight Zone after TZ ended?

Also Stephen King's best works are his short stories and novellas, gently caress the Dark Tower.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 16, 2014

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I don't smoke, but every time Rod Serling comes out to do the opening narration I really want a cigarette.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

I've never heard of Tales from the Darkside before but most of the ones here seem to be AND THEY WERE DEAD AND/OR IN HELL ALL ALONG, was it basically a worse version of Twilight Zone after TZ ended?

Also Stephen King's best works are his short stories and novellas, gently caress the Dark Tower.

No just the ones goons post about. It was a consistently good show.

Stephen King is well regarded for his short, non-genre fiction in literary circles. He's regularly invited to judge short story contests and the like by reputable quarterlies. He knows how to write a good story -- when he writes a horror story though he just does what Lowtax did to write Jeff K, just shut off a particular critical part of your brain and let a retarded version of yourself babble away.

Por exemplo: Stand By Me, The Green Mile, and The Shawshank Redemption were all made from non-horror Stephen King stories (although all three have small genre elements).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Long Walk might be my favorite one he did. Apt Pupil was great too even if the movie that resulted was average.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Sci-Fi/Horror Anthology's are my absolute favorite genre of television.

Here are some of my favorites shows with some of my favorite episodes. A lot of these are available between Youtube, Daily Motion, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon VOD.

The Twilight Zone(Original)
Probably the greatest show on television, ever. There are just so many cool episodes it's impossible to name them all.

The monsters are due on maple street - A metaphor for McCarthyism where aliens use suburban hysteria to destroy small neighborhoods one by one.
It's a good life - The kid from Lost in Space can literally do whatever the gently caress he wants just by thinking it and holds what's left of an entire town hostage, having disappeared the rest of the planet. It's really really great.
Printer's Devil - Burgess loving Meredith plays the devil? Yeah, enough said.
He's Alive - Dennis Hopper becomes obsessed with Hitler. I loved this one for how well it captured the mythos surrounding Hitler.
The Dummy - A ventriliquist and his dummy, you can probably guess where this goes. Or maybe not. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, gently caress that voice and laugh at the end scared the poo poo out of me.
Escape Clause - What can I say I love "deal with the devil" episodes, Thomas Gomez plays a great "salesmen" Devil.
The Lonely - In the future prisoners get their own asteroid to live out their sentence. A friend brings a prisoner a robot chick to spend time with. This is just a sad, depressing episode.
The New Exhibit - Good story about a caretaker at a wax museum. Always good for some subtle scares. Nice ending.
Mirror Image - Always found the concept of evil doppelgangers trying to take over the lives of their alternates to be loving creepy. This is a pretty good one based around that.
Of Late I think of Cliffordville - Catwoman playing the devil should be enough said, but the real standout is Albert Salmi who is just such a great actor and has so much fun with this part.

Night Gallery
A spiritual sequel to The Twilight Zone, more horror oriented than it's predecessor

The Cemetery - About a guy who inherits his uncles wealth. Roddy McDowell is great, this is just an amazingly creepy story and easily one of the scariest I watched.
The Catarpiller - Guy tries to use an earwig to kill the husband of a chick he's in love with, hosed up.
Class of '99 - a futuristic college class where robot students re-enact a long dead mankind's capacity for hatred and violence.
The Sins of the Fathers - Medieval story about a Sin Eater; someone who eats the food at a persons funeral bed and absorbs their sins.

Twilight Zone(80's)
Honestly I just don't think you can beat the 1980's Twilight Zone intro. It's so beyond awesome.

It's a good life - This is the 80's remake of the aforementioned episode in the original show. In some ways it's superior due to the crazy special effects that make the kid seem like a warped Freddy Kruger.
A Small Talent for War - Every nation on earth must make peace in order to avoid being destroyed by alien species. Amusing twist.
Gramma - some kids grandmother might be a monster
A Matter of minutes - a couple stuck between moments in time.
Room 2426 - Mind over matter episode, pretty good.
The Shadow Man - kid uses the monster under his bed to defend himself from bullies.

The Twilight Zone(2000's)
Not really all that great, but a few decent remakes of original episodes.

The monsters are due on maple street - A metaphor for McCarthyism where aliens use suburban hysteria to destroy small neighborhoods one by one. The 2000's remake had a different ending where the military was testing to see, in the event of a terrorist attack, how long isolated communities could hold out before be turning on each other.

The New Outer Limits(90's)
I watched a lot of this and it had some really cool episodes. Definitely an underrated series. Available on hulu.

Quality of Mercy - Robert Patrick and the cute girl from Cube/The Dead Zone series are being held prisoner by an alien race that earth is in a space war with. This is one is so good I don't want to spoil it.
Birthright - Politician discovers alien plot to terra form earth.
The Human Operators - Guy lives on a ship and is it's slave.
Deadman's Switch - Soldier has to decide whether or not to blow up planet during alien invasion.
Abduction
Decompression - This is a good one where a politician is trying to avoid his death so he can save the future. Good twist.
Trial By Fire - New peace loving president must decide whether or not to attack approaching aliens.
Final Exam - Physics student figures out cold fusion and uses it as a bomb.
The Camp - In future people are held prisoner by robots.
First Anniversary - This one has Matt Frewer dating an hot girl that is way out of his league but who is in actuality an Alien. The twist is that in her natural form her species is so horrifyingly disgusting to human perception that no human can stand to be in their presence. And she's just trying to find a nice guy to settle down with. I liked this episode because it touched on how in popular culture we often anthropomorphize aliens. The idea that real creatures that had evolved in alien environments would be so foreign to our senses that they would basically just short circuit our brains. Michael Crichton talks about this in his book Sphere, my favorite Crichton book and highly recommended.

The Ray Bradbury Theater
A pretty good series, for the me the standouts were:

Gotcha!: This one scared the ever loving gently caress out of me.
The Town where no one got off - Jeff Goldblum takes a chance and get's off at a stop where no one else does.
The Pedestrian: Very good future dystopia about not being allowed to leave your house.

Tales from the Crypt
Like the New Outer Limits this was a show that ran a long time and had a lot of gems. Looking through the episode list, almost every episode is worth a watch so I'll just list one that I remember the most.

Mournin Mess - Sleazy reporter can't let go of a story about bodies disappearing in a graveyard. This scared the crap out of me as a kid. Something about it was just so creepy. Yikes.

Black Mirror
Low number of episodes but some quality stuff.

My favorite episode was one called Fifteen Million Merits where it's the future and everyone lives in tiny cubicles and are forced to watch commercials at night and ride bicycles by day to earn points. They can use these points to attempt to get out of this life of drudgery by buying a ticket to a talent show and making a name for themselves. Good acting, and really good ending. "Farewell forever...until the same time next week."

Amazing Stories
This had some good stuff, a lot of light hearted stuff.

There was one episode, though that scared the holy loving poo poo out of me. I mean liking nothing ever before in my life. I think it was called "Head of the class". It was the one with Christopher Lloyd as a teacher, and his students accidentally kill him and then use a death metal record to resurrect him, but his head somehow get's cut off and then chases after them. It was loving scary as poo poo.

Masters of Horror
A series where each episode was by a famous horror writer/director.

Cigarette Burns - This was so loving weird. Something about a movie that makes everyone insane that shows an angel being killed, it was creepy and John Carpenter owns.
Incident On and Off a Mountain Road - Chick gets abducted by huge albino killer and has to use the skills her overbearing survivalist boyfriend taught her to win. I liked this one for the survival girl aspects.
Jennifer - The ultimate butterface is apparently a HUGE trouble magnet. Who would have thought.

Fear Itself
This was kind of a follow up to Masters of Horror

Skin and Bones - Guy comes back from being stuck on a mountain. This is a good one.
New Years Day - Girl wakes up in a Zombie Apocalypse

Alfred Hitchcock Presents
I vaguely remember a few good episodes.

One was about a guy killing his business partner to keep both shares of the business. A homeless guy observes the murder and insinuates himself in to the guys life.

Another was about two gunfighters facing each other down over a long period of time and the lady who is trying to get them to chill out.

Don't remember any other great episodes off the top of my head but there were definitely some goods ones.

Tales from the Darkside
Another show with a great intro.

The story from the movie with James Remar and Rae Dawn Chong where she turns out to be a Gargoyle was pretty creepy.

The Hitchhiker
Don't remember much about this one except that it had an intro that really creeped me out. I know there were some good episodes though, can probably find some on youtube.

The Outer Limits(Original)
I didn't watch much of this one. I do remember liking one that was based on Harlan Ellison's "Demon with a glass Hand."

Honorable Mentions
One Step Beyond
The Veil
Thriller
Way Out
Tales of Tomorrow
Monsters

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 17, 2014

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I think I like Night Gallery better than most of those shows. It was generally creepier than Twilight Zone. In particular, I liked "Escape Route" about a Nazi war criminal who figures out that he can escape prosecution once and for all by magically entering a peaceful painting of a man fishing on a lake. However, his plan goes rather badly wrong, as such things tend to do in Rod Serling productions.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Season One of Tales from the Crypt is awesome and "Dig that Cat, He's Real Gone" is one of the most brilliantly manic 30 minutes of television around.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beim-bTOuEg

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 16, 2014

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The bullshit catholic censorship of the era forced writers to have some subtlety and finesse if they wanted to get a message across to their audience any more nuanced than 'authority figures are good, god is catholic, and if you want to have a women imply a possibly sexual desire? That's maybe ok, but kill her off-screen as a consequence.
I have to wonder how much of the Twilight Zone subtext that holds up so well today comes from writers trying to skirt rear end in a top hat censors.

If you're young and wonder why almost the entire US reflexively fellates cops and troops, you can read up on the era.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Season One of Tales from the Crypt is awesome and "Dig that Cat, He's Real Gone" is one of the most brilliantly manic 30 minutes of television around.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beim-bTOuEg

Also, Joe Pantoliano.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Aleph Null posted:

Also, Joe Pantoliano.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a really good episode of The New Outer Limits about a small town that discovers a dense fog surrounding it one morning. They eventually learn that they've been abducted by aliens who went around to a bunch of world kidnapping beings looking for slaves. One of the townsfolk comes into contact with an alien abductee who was sick from the atmosphere. The humans eventually purposefully infect themselves with the fatal illness in order to make the aliens think humans won't work as slaves.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked the episode where Wesley Crusher was on a ship making a suicide run to detonate a massive Doomsday weapon in a hostile alien species' atmosphere.

The aliens disguise and infiltrate the human crew, the twist is that halfway through the mission the aliens turned the ship around and sent it back to Earth. The last thing that Wesley does is launch the weapon, and seconds later the attackers that were trying to get into the bridge burst through the door and it turns out that they're human. I believe one of them asks "What did you just do...?" as the final line

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
op I was thinking about this ep earlier why are you reading my mind get out of here ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Professor Shark posted:

I liked the episode where Wesley Crusher was on a ship making a suicide run to detonate a massive Doomsday weapon in a hostile alien species' atmosphere.

The aliens disguise and infiltrate the human crew, the twist is that halfway through the mission the aliens turned the ship around and sent it back to Earth. The last thing that Wesley does is launch the weapon, and seconds later the attackers that were trying to get into the bridge burst through the door and it turns out that they're human. I believe one of them asks "What did you just do...?" as the final line

yeah this sounds awful

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Sheep-Goats posted:

E: Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.

yeah, this is the best one.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
the part from creepshow 2 where the guy gets away from the pond algae monster and stops to gloat, gets eaten.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm fond of the episode with the pool shark, Jack Klugman as Jesse Cardiff, who spends his days railing against the legendary player "Fats" that played at his pool hall. Turns out Fats has been dead for a while and was before Jesse's time, so Jesse is never gonna know if he could have beat him. So while sitting in the hall after hours cursing the heavens (and the heavy) who should step out of the shadows but Fats? "You can play me, but if you lose it's your life," is the deal. Well they play, a very tense game, and Jesse wins, and Fats looks oddly satisfied and says "You don't know how much I've looked forward to this." And after Jesse dies he has to keep going back to earth and playing scrub bitches who think they could have beat him. Kind of pat but Rod Serling's narration is ok:

quote:

Mr. Jesse Cardiff, who became a legend by beating one, but who has found out after his funeral that being the best of anything carries with it a special obligation to keep on proving it. Mr. Fats Brown, on the other hand, having relinquished the champion's mantle, has gone fishing. These are the ground rules in the Twilight Zone.

But that's not the original ending, which owns super hard, in which Jesse loses and expects to die. Fats explains that he will die "as all second raters die: you'll be buried and forgotten without me touching you. If you'd beaten me, you'd have lived forever." And Jesse just starts ranting as he disappears forever. The closing quote for this one is:

quote:

Lives of great men all remind us, we can make our lives sublime; and departing, leave behind us footprints on the sands of time, on the earth, as we know it, and...in the Twilight Zone.

They redid it in the 80s with this original ending, but the b&w 60s version with Johnathan Winters as Fats is really good as well.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
Does anyone do a Twilight Zone marathon on new years day anymore? That was the only thing the SciFi channel was good for.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Laughing Man posted:

Does anyone do a Twilight Zone marathon on new years day anymore? That was the only thing the SciFi channel was good for.

Tom Servo's gumball machine body is coming to throttle you.

naem
May 29, 2011

ROBITS

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

genesplicer posted:

Rod Serling

Fellow geezer, did you ever see the Johnny Carson interview of Mr. Serling? Where he (Rod) speaks of meeting his doppleganger in O'Hare airport?

Paraphrasing:

Submitted for your approval, a man disembarks from his flight in an American airport. He is an average man, about 5'10", maybe 40 or a bit younger, not much over 170 lbs. His garb is common; dark slacks, a brown tweed coat, a homburg hat. He carries a brown leather briefcase. He thinks he is on his way to a connecting flight, a short walk to a flight home. Instead, he has walked into .... the twilight zone.

"I saw him some distance ahead of me. He was my height. My build. He was wearing my clothes; dark slacks, a brown tweed coat, homburg hat. The leather briefcase was identical. I had just finished reading a script about dopplegangers and was very aware of the 'meet your doppleganger and die' aspect and felt a shiver of fear.

I followed him anyway. I was afraid to approach closely, but continued to shadow him. We walked a long way through the terminal and when he stopped to look in a shop window, I used to opportunity to approach from an oblique angle. I saw his reflection in the glass just as he saw mine. He turned, startled. He looked me up and down, saw the clothes, the briefcase, the man who might be him....'he was as surprised as I. Then the elderly black man nodded to me. I nodded back and then we went our separate ways."

I could never do Mr Serling's narrative voice justice. I've searched for vid of that interview for a long time and can only hope that it will resurface some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

ScratchAndSniff posted:

This is a Stephen King short, The Moving Finger in the collection Nightmares and Dreamscapes

• Locked thread