Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

The response was more detailed than that, though. And there's evidence of an at least slightly different version of the game existing somewhere.

You're overselling his response if you say it's more detailed than that. http://www.protonjon.com/blog/?p=48

Some relevant parts (I'm not going to copy-paste the whole interview because I want ProtonJon to get some clickthroughs, he's a good guy)

quote:

Superman 64 was the first 3D action/adventure game that Titus worked on, as your prior 3D releases were racing and chess games. Do you feel that this hindered development?
Eric: The main issue was working with the licensor. They caused us so much trouble. Also our design originally was too ambitious compared to what an N64 was able to deliver…
In previous interviews about Superman, it was mentioned that you would be able to free-roam through Metropolis, but in the final game ring mazes were implemented which restricted the player’s ability to explore the (for that time, very impressive) square mile of Metropolis. Why is that?
Eric: Rings are only in the “tutorial” levels.
Where did the idea of Superman going into a virtual world to save his friends come from?
Eric: Political reasons, as the licensor refused to let Superman kick “real” people…
Why was the decision made to limit the use of Superman’s powers in the game when that is one of the primary draws of the character?
Eric: Again, it wasn’t our decision
What took up the most development time?
Eric: Politics!!! Approval process!
Was development restarted at all while working on Superman?
Eric: Not really.
Was the release date a mandated thing, or did the team just want to release the product to the public as soon as possible?
Eric: We missed the original marketing date by 6 months, mostly because we had to do the same things again and again for political reason.
Jon: Did DC review the game during each of its production stages, or the finished product before release, or were they only concerned with when it was being released?
Eric: The licensor caused us A LOT of problems… they generated the final quality of the product!
Jon: How was the general mood of the development team when the game went gold and when reviews/sales figures started to come in.
Eric: It was a relief to move on to other projects with less political constraints!
Jon: Despite the reviews, how did this game sell? Was a profit made off of it?
Eric: The N64 game sold very well and was profitable for us… until we had to kill the PS1 version even though it was 75% developed. Then we lost a lot of money!

That's the area I meant. He utterly avoids any personal responsibility.

One of the more interesting things about the whole interview, including the later parts, is that he seems to have had no idea that Superman 64 had become a sort of cult classic Worst Game Ever Made TM and regarded it as just another underperforming disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
You are truly a brave man, MassRafTer. You're normally so incredibly chill that it's even weirder hearing you get frustrated.

I love terrible games, but I could not cope with Superman 64. I found a cheap copy years after the N64's time, and I thought ha ha, this will be such a bad game! it'll be funny! and I started playing it, and... oh, no, oh gently caress no. :stonk:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

you were warned posted:

I love terrible games, but I could not cope with Superman 64. I found a cheap copy years after the N64's time, and I thought ha ha, this will be such a bad game! it'll be funny! and I started playing it, and... oh, no, oh gently caress no. :stonk:

That's kinda how my mom felt about a family friend getting a hold of the Star Wars Holiday Special. She was all excited (she and I love to make fun of bad movies), but I already knew better. We didn't manage to finish. We intend to try again with the Rifftrax alongside it sometime.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

azren posted:

That's kinda how my mom felt about a family friend getting a hold of the Star Wars Holiday Special. She was all excited (she and I love to make fun of bad movies), but I already knew better. We didn't manage to finish. We intend to try again with the Rifftrax alongside it sometime.

Yeah. Better to let the professionals handle that poo poo. Bill, Mike, and Kevin have enough mental scarring that they'll barely feel it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

This didn't go as well as I'd hoped. In fact I was tempted to ditch the video because the audio didn't turn out great until I remembered my promise to show off the game loving up and frustrating me. So here we go.

Part 2 (The Dam, First Attempt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDhb-UdGWk&feature=youtu.be

Edit: I just want to double check on this. Do I need to play the whole game on Superman difficulty or can I just continue with my current file on a higher difficulty as I'm doing?

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 22, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

No idea about that, but should the video be six minutes long? You get cut off at the end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ramos posted:

No idea about that, but should the video be six minutes long? You get cut off at the end.

I'll add another annotation there but you can't progress from that point and you need to reboot. If she glitches out all of the doors are locked.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 22, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What are those laser bars that disappear when you move into them?

Because I was thinking they're sort of "load the next section" checkpoints, and when you flew over the last one without touching it is when you got into the unwinnable state.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I figured that when he flew over the cutscene trigger is when he got into the unwinnable state. Sonic 06 was much nicer about things like that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I figured that when he flew over the cutscene trigger is when he got into the unwinnable state. Sonic 06 was much nicer about things like that.

What happens is if you land on the villain you either despawn her or force her through the floor and thus can never trigger the cutscene. I thought I was going to be smart and go over a trap to attack her either in the air or land behind her and welp! It will make more sense when I finish the level, I just want to clarify the difficulty question before I do.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: I just want to double check on this. Do I need to play the whole game on Superman difficulty or can I just continue with my current file on a higher difficulty as I'm doing?

You should be fine switching when the game makes you, but I did a bit of playing with it and got it to skip over a stage one time and make me repeat a stage I had just played one time. It's almost like the game is glitchy and changing difficulties mid-game isn't intended or something. It probably won't come up, but keep it in mind. The difficulty setting only really makes one stage significantly harder anyway, so it doesn't matter how you decide to do it. If you do want to switch for the whole game, now's the best time, since you're not too far in.

GauRocks fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 23, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

What are those laser bars that disappear when you move into them?

Because I was thinking they're sort of "load the next section" checkpoints, and when you flew over the last one without touching it is when you got into the unwinnable state.

I seriously have no idea. Unfortunately that is going to be my answer for a lot of things so I will rely on other people to fill in details. It's a group adventure!

GauRocks posted:

You should be fine switching when the game makes you, but I did a bit of playing with it and got it to skip over a stage one time and make me repeat a stage I had just played one time. It's almost like the game is glitchy and changing difficulties mid-game isn't intended or something. It probably won't come up, but keep it in mind. The difficulty setting only really makes one stage significantly harder anyway, so it doesn't matter how you decide to do it. If you do want to switch for the whole game, now's the best time, since you're not too far in.

Just to play it safe I went back and started the whole game on Superman. I thought about what game this is and figured why risk something going wrong.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

MassRafTer posted:

I seriously have no idea. Unfortunately that is going to be my answer for a lot of things so I will rely on other people to fill in details. It's a group adventure!

IIRC, in Slowbeef's short run of this game, ProtonJon came on and mentioned that the lasers do nothing. They're purely cosmetic, although it is possible they had some other use originally. Now they're just there to confuse the player as to what's going on. :goonsay:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Ah, this game. Once I walked into a game store and asked the guy at the counter if this game was any good. He said, 'yeah!' and I bought it. That was the last time I ever shopped there.

I played though and beat this entire thing, way back when. There's a kind of shocking amount of 'city' modeled for this game. You can go into the practice mode and explore it and it's actually got some neat stuff. Too bad there was never a point to any of it. As for the on-foot stuff, I can't really remember any time when there's anything worth 'being tricky' to try and get around, but I can remember a million bugs like that which will force you to restart the entire game. I could be wrong though, since it's been so long since I've seen any of it.

EDIT:

As far as the tornadoes in that first 'ride' section. As someone pointed out, there were people on the walkways. Each tornado homed in on a different person, and if they reached their person, you lost. I think you're supposed to hit them counter-clockwise, which means the exact opposite order you'll actually encounter them in. So if you don't hit the furthest one away first, it'll hit its person before you catch up to it.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 24, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MassRafTer posted:

What happens is if you land on the villain you either despawn her or force her through the floor and thus can never trigger the cutscene.

This is such a wonderful mess. :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Dam! I managed to beat it! I hope you are proud of me. Here's the deal there are two failed attempts followed by a successful attempt in this video. The failed attempts are more entertaining than the success so I hope you watch the whole thing. Some absolutely weird poo poo happens.

Part 3 (Superman Wins the Dam): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txEaAC9rSMg

Timestamp for the Successful Attempt: http://youtu.be/txEaAC9rSMg?t=13m32s

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
If you care, the reason why that one robot exploded 2 or 3 times is that it was a bomb dropping bot that started dropping bombs the moment before you grabbed it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Major_JF posted:

If you care, the reason why that one robot exploded 2 or 3 times is that it was a bomb dropping bot that started dropping bombs the moment before you grabbed it.

I actually do because that legitimately baffled me and I couldn't see any reason why. I guess it's kind of obvious but I just didn't pick up on that.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

MassRafTer posted:

I actually do because that legitimately baffled me and I couldn't see any reason why. I guess it's kind of obvious but I just didn't pick up on that.

To be fair, it'd be more obvious if the bomb robots didn't look exactly like the gun robots.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Akratic Method posted:

To be fair, it'd be more obvious if the bomb robots didn't look exactly like the gun robots.

Such is the cunning of our foe.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Such is the cunning of our foe.

Presumably you mean the game programmers, not Mala.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
From Sonic '06 to this?
What atrocities have you committed in your previous life to deserve this karma?

PS: Totally looking forward to this after ProtonJon understandably burned out on this thing. Superspeed is absolutely the best powerup, yes.

Ztarlit_Sky fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 26, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Patter Song posted:

You're overselling his response if you say it's more detailed than that. http://www.protonjon.com/blog/?p=48

Some relevant parts (I'm not going to copy-paste the whole interview because I want ProtonJon to get some clickthroughs, he's a good guy)

That's the area I meant. He utterly avoids any personal responsibility.

One of the more interesting things about the whole interview, including the later parts, is that he seems to have had no idea that Superman 64 had become a sort of cult classic Worst Game Ever Made TM and regarded it as just another underperforming disappointment.

I like how he just straight up doesn't even answer some questions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The SECOND RIDE! We're going to fly through a bunch of rings, fight robots, save skaters from rocket launchers, fight robots, fly through rings, fight robots and fly through rings on our way to Lexcorp HQ! Superman can do it.

Part 4 (Second Ride): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XBwJKBe9sE

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There's so much schadenfreude in how upset you get from the unpleasant surprises and I love it, especially since you're making such a genuine effort to like the game where you can. Never lose that optimism :allears:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm pretty sure that grey ring wasn't so much a trap, as it was the dev's piss poor way of making sure you don't skip ahead too far in rings. Like green for current, orange(?) for next one, red for final, and grey for totally out of order. It's just not really explained well anywhere and when all you get is a game over then it makes even less sense. Still I'm very confused about these rings sections because they seem like they might be combat tutorials to save people or to be used in missions....but no, they're just little challenge trials. Challenge trials with very random difficulty spikes. Like that skater one seemed fine initially and suddenly rocket snipers?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Niggurath posted:

I'm pretty sure that grey ring wasn't so much a trap, as it was the dev's piss poor way of making sure you don't skip ahead too far in rings. Like green for current, orange(?) for next one, red for final, and grey for totally out of order. It's just not really explained well anywhere and when all you get is a game over then it makes even less sense. Still I'm very confused about these rings sections because they seem like they might be combat tutorials to save people or to be used in missions....but no, they're just little challenge trials. Challenge trials with very random difficulty spikes. Like that skater one seemed fine initially and suddenly rocket snipers?

It seemed like a trap at the time but it was just really bad design to put rings side by side like that. When you are flying through it's easy to mistake a grey ring for a green ring and make a split second turn only to fly right into an instant failure. The weirdest thing about the challenges are they never feel hard, just confusing. The tornadoes didn't feel difficult, I just had no clue what to do, and the rocket launcher shadows left me equally befuddled. I know I almost died, but it was more due to confusion than anything else. There aren't many games where I've been left confused this much, other than maybe some old adventure games I played as a kid.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It seemed like a trap at the time but it was just really bad design to put rings side by side like that. When you are flying through it's easy to mistake a grey ring for a green ring and make a split second turn only to fly right into an instant failure. The weirdest thing about the challenges are they never feel hard, just confusing. The tornadoes didn't feel difficult, I just had no clue what to do, and the rocket launcher shadows left me equally befuddled. I know I almost died, but it was more due to confusion than anything else. There aren't many games where I've been left confused this much, other than maybe some old adventure games I played as a kid.

What was funny about the rocket guys was, I think you did lose the kid, but the game bugged out and didn't notice somehow? I know you can, I remember being really frustrated by the rocket guys since they can wipe the kid out and you'll never even know why because the game does nothing to draw your attention to them.

Also, I didn't see your compass in that last ride section. In the first one, you had the compass in the lower-right corner that always pointed to the next green ring, but in the second, I couldn't find it. Did it get disabled when you upped the difficulty?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Superman mode has no compass.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

why so many instances of flying through rings? Was the development team just THAT bad at coming up with filler or was this mandated from higher up?

Jesus I remember watching Proton Jon's LP but I didn't remember this many rings and we're only through the 2nd mission :negative: if I had bought this game when it was brand new I probably would've taken it back to the store and demand a refund and that all copies in the store be burned (you know, because I would've been around 9 at the time)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Aces High posted:

why so many instances of flying through rings? Was the development team just THAT bad at coming up with filler or was this mandated from higher up?

Jesus I remember watching Proton Jon's LP but I didn't remember this many rings and we're only through the 2nd mission :negative: if I had bought this game when it was brand new I probably would've taken it back to the store and demand a refund and that all copies in the store be burned (you know, because I would've been around 9 at the time)

It was a combination of things. They wanted to do a flying open world, so Superman could go around and explore Metropolis, which would bridge the gap between missions as it does in the release version. But they realized that the n64 could not handle the detail of the world, so they had to drop the draw distance way, way down -- hence the fog. But then you couldn't see where to go, so they had to give the player a way to navigate, and that's where the rings come from.

I don't know why there are so loving many, though. that's pretty lovely.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

corn in the bible posted:

It was a combination of things. They wanted to do a flying open world, so Superman could go around and explore Metropolis, which would bridge the gap between missions as it does in the release version. But they realized that the n64 could not handle the detail of the world, so they had to drop the draw distance way, way down -- hence the fog. But then you couldn't see where to go, so they had to give the player a way to navigate, and that's where the rings come from.

I don't know why there are so loving many, though. that's pretty lovely.

The rings aren't so much bridging the gap and helping you navigate as they are killing time. They send you every which way around the city before you arrive at your destination to pad the game out.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The weirdest thing about the challenges are they never feel hard, just confusing. The tornadoes didn't feel difficult, I just had no clue what to do, and the rocket launcher shadows left me equally befuddled. I know I almost died, but it was more due to confusion than anything else. There aren't many games where I've been left confused this much, other than maybe some old adventure games I played as a kid.

This is a pretty good summary of this game. Once you actually know what to do, it's not that hard. But figuring out what to do can take hours. It's why a blind playthrough is so fitting for this game, and I'm glad you're doing it that way. I'm especially looking forward to the last couple of levels, for reasons that will become clear when you get there. I will say this much: This game never stops finding new and creative ways to be terrible.

As far as the ring segments go, I'm sticking by the theory that someone said "we spent way too much time making this city, we're going to use it" and so they added a bunch of rings so you'd fly around every inch of the city and see all the work they put in. For the N64 era, it is one of the bigger environments out there. It would probably be a lot more impressive if not for the fog everywhere, but that doesn't change the fact that the map is huge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lexcorp! This is a mess of a level that left me full of confusion and hate. Enjoy!

Part 5 (Lexcorp): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEAOb7shoQo

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
At the beginning of that video it listed the names of the people you are trying to save. Write them down somewhere? I only mention this because, as a kid, I loved the TV show that this things is based off of. And all of the characters and art style has so far been from that show, save for the dark shadows.

That puzzle. It was one of those simple pull a lever and it adjusts xyz gears or whatever the current implementation might be. You were sort of going about it the right way trying to work on the first letter first you just didn't seem to understand that the panels didn't always adjust the letter that was on that screen.

I am surprised you didn't use your heat vision on brainiac. You know fighting fire with fire :v:

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
In case anyone wanted to read that fifth piece of paper that got picked up and flashed onscreen for an extremely short time: From Metallo to Lex Luthor: Lois Lane is with me at Lexcorp's warehouse. Give the word, and she's toast!

As for the level... That's pretty much everyone's reaction. I actually failed the LUTHOR puzzle my first time through, I died once in the Kryptonite room, and I took a lot longer because of some glitches that Proton Jon showed off and you neatly managed to avoid.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
I love how the draw distance is so low that the game can't render an entire room, so you're constantly being shot by something in the inky blackness on the opposite side of the room you're in.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Telegnostic posted:

I love how the draw distance is so low that the game can't render an entire room, so you're constantly being shot by something in the inky blackness on the opposite side of the room you're in.

Notice how all the enemies in Silent Hill have melee attacks to compensate for the low draw distance.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
This is the first level of the game that actually looks like a video game level. An identifiable environment, enemies to kill, dialogue, a puzzle. Sure, they are all terrible, but compared to the ring chases and the tunnel maze, this at least looks like a Superman video game instead of a student programmer's first project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
The way the puzzle worked was that one screen switched all six letters, one switched all letters except the first, one switched letters 3-6, one 4-6, one 5 and 6, and the last one switched the last letter. So you could go through and lock each one in in order, if you could be bothered to remember which ones started where.

• Locked thread