Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I don't have a pit bull.

I'm saying that pit bulls aren't any more or less likely to attack a human than any other dog, all things being equal.

Dobermans and other such police dogs attack people all the time and no one says 'oh they're just a super aggressive breed' because that's what they've been trained to do and that's how they were raised.

You seem to be saying pit bulls are fundamentally aggressive dogs who will attack for no real reason at all because that's just the breed. How is that not genetic determinism?

Isn't it more likely that a rescue dog is violent because of its history and not because it is a pit bull?

you don't have any idea what the hell you're talking about. you can't just grab any rando trash dog and turn it into a good police or protection dog. a dogs ability to succeed in protection work depends almost entirely on its genetics - training is important to teach it how to properly utilize it's drives but all the training in the world wont turn poo poo into gold. specific breeds and lines are intentionally bred for genetic aggression and if you think its all in how u raise them!!! youre incredibly stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

No fuckboy, I'm saying there's a difference between genetic predisposition and genetic determinism. I didn't say any rando trash dog would be a good police dog, I'm saying if you get a rottweiler or pit bull and don't train it well and it bites someone as a result of your incompetence and lackadaisical attitude towards your dog's socialization and training, it is your fault (not just lol well what a violent breed!).

As an aside police dogs are often treated like you would expect a fighting dog to be treated. That's on purpose, because otherwise the dog wouldn't be as aggressive as they want it to be. The cops aren't 'nice' to their dogs.

It seems the people arguing against me are either just creating strawmen or ignoring the actual studies written by professionals in the field that I'm posting.

Police and military dogs aren't trained anything like you apparently think they are because a super fuckin handler aggressive, unsocialized dog who fears its handler is literally the worst candidate for bitework imaginable. They are carefully selected from breeding programs designed to produce a high level of genetic aggression and their training programs are designed to cultivate that (which shockingly doesn't mean "beat a dog and be real mean to it!!"). Just like correct pits should have some level of dog aggression, GSDs and other protection breeds with correct temperaments should naturally have some level of aggression towards humans regardless of how well socialized they are. That's not absolving people of their dog biting someone but with a lot of breeds, aggression towards humans, dogs, or small animals is a reality handlers need to accept and learn to deal with. Insisting that your dog bred for aggression for hundreds of years will never show aggression because you're a responsible white person is how these stupid fuckers end up getting mauled by their ~perfect family dogs~

Flesh Forge posted:

doesn't everyone's dog :confused:

The obvious question that nobody asks is, if pitbulls are so loving deadly why doesn't the military/police use them to oppress said proletariat? The answer is just what you think it is, because pitbulls are loving ugly and not photogenic at all and GSDs look so much more handsome when you take pics of them gnawing on brown people.

Because they're loving terrible at it

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lol if you think keeping dog aggressive dogs away from each other while theyre unsupervised is some weird arcane pit bull owner thing. poo poo my dogs like each other but i keep them crated separately when i'm not home because i'm not a retard

i don't know how most of you go outside without passing out in terror the second anything larger than a chihuahua so much as looks at you

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Guancho posted:

Got any advice for a smart and stubborn black lab/border collie mix? She learns really quick, but picks and chooses when to listen. Usually only listens when a treat is offered.

stop waving the treat in front of her face like an idiot and learn to train your dog

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Scenty posted:

So am I the only one bothered by the fact that Super admitted he hosed up and his pits killed a puppy at some point, warns another poster to be careful because the pits could randomly attack a lab they live with, and then posts pics of a chick on the head of a pit and of his Boston terrier humping one of them? They could kill that terrier before you even know what's happening, same with the chick. Seems pretty grossly negligent.

yes

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Lolie posted:

Except we're not talking about using crating or gating while you're increasing a dog's tolerance here. I agree that it's fine for a dog to not like other dogs. If it's your existing dog which doesn't like other dogs and you know that, one of the options available to you is not having multiple dogs. If it's a new dog introduced to the home which won't tolerate the existing dogs, then one option is not keeping that dog aggressive newcomer. The easiest way to "set a dog up to succeed by not having it be around the dogs it does not like" is by not having dogs it does not like be part of the household.

If you know that one of your dogs will likely injure another of your dogs if they're not physically separated at all times, then your management (and that of other people in the household) needs to be 100% perfect, 100% of the time - a standard not many people can live up to day in day out for 10 years or more. Crate and rotate as an ongoing behaviour management strategy requires tie and commitment many dogs owners simply aren't going to invest over the long term, especially if their lifestyle changes due to work or family commitments and their dogs start getting less attention in general (which is very, very common).

there's this cool thing taht happens with a lot of dogs where they start out fine with other dogs as puppies and then when they hit sexual maturity whoops now they want to fight forever. outside of weird rescue mommies it's generally not a case of "brought this new dog home and it wants to kill the other welp oh well!!!"

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Modern Day Hercules posted:

literally who gives a poo poo about corgi herding drive. do you herd with corgis?

yeah, she does actually

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
i unironically train my dog to bite the christ out of people

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

PartyCrown posted:

if ur dog hasn't killed at least one small furry creature it should be euthed hth

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
dogs who don't want to fight and kill things are basically garbage sorry

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lil Parachute posted:

My dogs have murdered the gently caress out of prey animals and would probably eat any cat that made it over the 6ft fence, but are not bred for unprovoked aggression to humans and other dogs. This is because, unlike pitbull owners, I'm not a complete psychopath.

yeah pits aren't bred for human aggression that's largely the reason they're unterhunde

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lil Parachute posted:

Herding dogs! Smart, athletic, generally don't eat people.
Retrievers! Probably a bit dumber, carry things in their mouths everywhere, good family dogs
Livestock Guardian Dogs! Intelligent & loyal, ideal "exotic" dog for apartment owners.
Spitz breeds! Awesome if you like cats but think they're too small and not fluffy enough
Pitbulls! Bred to kill other dogs, have a history of murdering children & other peoples animals, but "Killer would never do that he's always cuddly" *escapes fence and attacks a girl & her lab*

livestock guardians and a bunch of the herding breeds were specifically bred to be aggressive as gently caress to humans~

HogX posted:

Which dog would be best for training to bite the jewish menace? asking for a friend.

gsd obviously

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lgds are so ~non aggressive~ towards people that switzerland legit had to put out a PSA telling backpackers what do as to not get loving murdered while hiking in the alps

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
on the other hand if a lgd tore the face off some random dude dicking around the flock they would breed it because wow its like its their job or somethin

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lil Parachute posted:

Prey Drive: wanting to catch/eat anything small that runs away, not generally a threat to people / other dogs
Dog aggression: Being a risk to other dogs. Owning a highly DA animal without containing it makes you a selfish prick. Other people shouldn't have their dogs put at risk when yours eventually escapes.
Human aggression: Unless highly trained for an explicit purpose these should be culled on sight.

lmao

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
poorly bred unstable trash dogs attacking people isn't fuckin news to anyone duder. same poo poo happened when gsds, doberman, and rottweilers were trendy as gently caress, it's just kinda what happens when a bunch of insufferable middle class weirdos try to turn working breeds into gay family pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

a very doofy Large Gay Daughter?

That's a pretty mean thing to call Superconsndar

truth hurts man

• Locked thread