Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A Lufia 2 LP! :woop: I think Lufia is the third best SNES RPG after the two Secret of Mana games. It certainly has some of the best SNES music. Battle Theme 3 is the best song in the game.

That DS remoke looks horrible.

Tia joining up is certainly a mixed bag for Maxim. On the one hand, every additional party member is a welcome help. On the other hand, she is the connection to his old life that he tries to leave behind, and may hold him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SC Bracer posted:

I will keep defending the poor thing because it's actually a fun game, just hampered by being Lufia II and having that nostalgia baggage. Plus that was a tutorial dungeon. Once we actually start getting party members that can do more than dash around really fast the puzzles start to get more involved. Maxim is probably my favourite unit in combat along with another person, but he does not lend himself to interesting dungeon layouts.

It's not only the gameplay (or the story changes that I'm seeing so far). The graphics simply are awful as well. You have lovingly crafted sprites in Lufia 2, and then you have this.. mess in the remake. But one proud tradition they continued was the music, since I just listened to some of the arranged OSTs of the remake and they are just as awesome as the original's.

But I'm still looking forward to seeing more of the game since I never played it. Perhaps you are right and it gets better further in.

Who else in this thread played Lufia 2 first and thus wasn't spoiled about the ending by Lufia 1? I was genuinely shocked and sad when I finished the game as a kid.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PFlats posted:

Also, why on earth would you call it "Lufia" in Europe if there was no first game? :psyduck: Lufia is a character in game #1, but there's no reason to call #2 "Lufia" if you're not continuing a series. Lufia isn't in this game!

They renamed Dual Blade to Lufiasword.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fat and Useless posted:

Foomy is Foomy

Never understood why it wasn't his default.

This, the name fits so well. Voting for Foomy.

We can get creative with the other capsule monsters that aren't bubble blobs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Tia continues to be the worst character.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Super Jay Mann posted:

I hope you're talking about the fire arrows+growing plants :argh: :argh: because whoever designed that one is pure evil.

I hated the horse statues puzzle so much more.

Anyway, I liked the fact that there was no boss battle as well. Going down due to their own dumb schemes is really fitting for those two. Not everything has to be a fight against the ultimate evil, seeing the game not taking itself seriously once in a while is nice.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

Next Time: We finally make it to Tanbel, where we meet one of my favorite party members!

All of the party members that have yet to join up are pretty great, but I don't think the next one is my favorite.

Ah, regrowing grass... enjoy it while it's still this easy to complete the puzzle!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, it's been too long since I played the game, at first I confused Camu with another minion entirely, namely Idura. Camu just appears and then swiftly gets defeated, he's not memorable at all.

Moves like divine cure and other full-party heals can be really powerful. Sadly, the main game's fights are not very difficult, so it's easy to overlook. But these moves (especially if they restore MP as well) really shine in the optional dungeon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Name the doggy Smaug.

I just saw the film recently, so I have to second this.

But Courage would have been perfect if not for the character limit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Honestly, are there any difficult fights after this that are not optional? I'm counting the first fight with you-know-who as optional.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nilbog Resident posted:

Stoked on this LP. One of my personal favorites and it goes criminally underrated.

It took me a long time to finally realize it, but The Last Duel is actually the greatest song in video game history. :colbert:

Have you ever wondered what select Lufia 2 tracks would sound like in the style of Mega Man X? Listen to this immediately.

:siren:DON'T CLICK THAT LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME ALREADY! MAJOR VISUAL SPOILERS:siren:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's a strange way to spell For the Savior :smugbert:

You mean Battle Theme 3 :colbert:

Or The Lost World.

Or The Final Battle?

gently caress, I can't decide! At least we will hear Battle Theme 3 in the next update.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Sinistral theme is one of the greatest SNES soundtracks of them. When I first fought Gades as a kid, going up against Gades had me really excited, but then the music started and I was just amazed.

The game is about to pull a huge dick move :argh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Taking Guy away from us at this moment! :argh:

Poor Tia just can't catch a break.

Blastinus posted:

Next Time: Dekar. Friggin' Dekar.

:getin:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Well, Lufia 1 never came out over here, so I guess it wasn't relevant to the translators. I think instead they tried to make a connection with that girl which transforms into the Lufia-sword or something. (My memory on the other games in the series is a bit hazy.) I distinctly remember the end of Lufia 2 making that connection, with a girl named Lufia being explicitly mentioned.

Don't read this spoiler unless you have beaten Lufia 2.

Lufia 1 starts with Maxim & co. assaulting Doom Island, the whole boss rush against the Sinistrals is the prologue. Then Maxim dies and the scene with the girl named Lufia kicks off the real game. Lufia is an orphan who has lost her memories, and walks up to the descendant of Maxim. They become friends, there is a nine year timeskip and then their adventures begin.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Legna is the best capsule monster of them all. Healing can give your party a lot more staying power.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That animation of Iris teleporting in and our rapidly is really well done.

And you are right, Idura is pretty annoying, even at his end.

MP conservation is a thing in a place we will have access to very soon. If Maxim could bring his ultimate equipment there, he would be the best party member by far. Especially for the IP attack of his ultimate armor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm pretty sure that Maxim could beat all of the physical party members in a one-on-one fight.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carbon dioxide posted:

How are those rails in the last section suspended in mid air?

Magic? Energy cores?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Equip!

Amazing luck for your first run through the cave, I'm jealous.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No worries, Blastinus.

But I really look forward to the final part of the game, which in my opinion begins when you reach Narvick, because it's both amazing and a letdown at the same time, and I can't wait to discuss it in this thread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ehhng sounds good.

Foomy's master form is certainly different.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I thought it was a bag of wind.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aerdan posted:

No, clearly it should be Raked.

This is the only choice.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carbon dioxide posted:

That hammer, is it me, or does it actually look like a ball 'n chain? :getin:

It totally does.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least Lexis and the last character to join are the only ones who get weapons that attack all enemies on the screen at the same time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Amazing, I was just thinking of this LP today. I think you have access to two new capsule monsters now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

Count it, ladies and gents. That's all eight dragon eggs. Now we can talk to the egg dragon and make our wish, just as soon as we find it.

Are you sure you couldn't destroy the wall behind that chest? This is the point of the game where breakable walls are no longer automatically different from normal walls.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

Indeed I can! Thanks for the tip. I'll add that to the update.

It's a shame that the holy whip is of no use to you, it's pretty decent otherwise.

I think the carpet is supposed to give you a hint that you can destroy the wall here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

But don't be too eager to leave. There's a breakable wall disguised cunningly as a candle. You'd know to be suspicious of this candle because

Now we're even, I never knew about that room!

Lies sounds good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
DUN DUN DUN!

Or not, if you watched the intro...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It is a strange detour but it has nice character moments as compensation. At least now we enter the last stretch of the game.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I always forget about the limited inventory in this game. It really sucks if you're me and even though I've played through this game many times and, WHAT IF I NEED THAT FIRE DAGGER?!-itis. It's an offshoot of WHAT IF THERE'S A STRONGER BOSS AND I USED MY MEGAELIXER FOR NOTHING?!-itis.

The inventory space is huge, I don't understand how anybody could have a problem with it. Just sell old weapons and armor, that also lets you avoid some of the grinding for cash you would otherwise have to do. I'm usually keeping all jewels and rings, and even then I always have a ton of space left.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

crestfallen posted:

Thing is, Lufia is an easy enough game even on regular difficulty. At most, you only need a few extra weapons, rings, and jewels. Maaaaaaybe a couple extra armor-type pieces with exceptionally good abilities, but even then, meh.

The only time you really need to think about your equipment is in one later optional fight, and the first fight with Gades.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We are nearing the endgame, which will become obvious in the next update.

That pant puzzle was horrible as a kid, and I didn't even know about the most difficult trick until I replayed it a few years later.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Suddenly, there was plot. It's pretty effective at introducing Doom Island as a real threat.

That messed up tileset is bad in more ways than just being difficult to navigate and looking ugly. It also makes it more difficult to realize that the shrine is actually on Doom Island.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The thieves are cool, I won't hear anything to the contrary :colbert:

The music in the next update will make it absolutely clear that we are entering the endgame. It's amazing music.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

And just to disprove something someone said in the thread, the Sunken Temple is NOT a part of Doom Island. You can travel all the way back and the only thing that's different is that Dual Blade isn't here anymore.

I disagree. You go through a teleporter, it is very possible that this teleporter still connects to the Shrine on Doom Island. There is also additional evidence that will appear in one of the next updates.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Dual Blade's IP attack is basically equipping the Egg ring and fully healing him, so the sword is much better than the Dragon Blade as long as you have a full IP bar at the start of combat. It's the best IP in the game, the only sad thing is that he also has the second best IP in the game, the divine armor's Phoenix IP, which fully restores HP and MP for the whole party. Unfortunately, Dual Blade's IP attack will empty his bar and he will have a tough time filling the bar again. But the Divine Armor would really shine in the Ancient Cave, where healing and especially regaining mana are especially valuable.

Also:

:siren:LISTEN TO THE MUSIC IN THIS UPDATE!:siren:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I always took that small structure below the Fortress of Doom for the Shrine of Daos where you got Dual Blade. There is also a teleporter conveniently below it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This section is great, both for it's inevitable callback to Lufia 1 and for having awesome music and engaging story. Selan dying is most likely because she is a woman, thus having the lowest life points, but I can easily forgive that for being an early 90's game (Lufia 1). Superbeings, who were constantly being revived, hanging around as ghosts don't cheapen Selan's death at all, I don't see the connection.

• Locked thread