Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So who wants an official space marine hack for Torchbearer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

I didn't know I wanted this, but...yes. I do.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm reading through RuneQuest 6 Essentials and something that immediately jumped out to me were sidebars where the writer explains the reasoning behind a particular rule or abstraction. I've only see this in one other place outside of video games, some Eastern Front boardgame where the designer takes similar "breaks" in the flow of the rules to offer a historical tidbit about how why a rule was made that way.

I feel like that's a practice that could stand to be adopted by more designers (unless it already is and I just don't read enough). Granted, in video games we usually see it in blog posts and patch notes and the likes, but we do see it, and the increased transparency couldn't hurt.

Yay more people! :toot:

Sorceror Annotated does this. It's interesting to see the reason (or occasional lack thereof) to rules.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Looks pretty awesome! I'd be interested to see how much the game changes when you're paid and equipped to go into hellholes rather than raiding them as it's your best bet to avoid having to sleep rough and die of pneumonia. Aside from that it's a surprisingly good fit tonally.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where should I get started on RuneQuest (OpenQuest?). I've heard some things about this system's magic and I want to see what a percentile-based engine is like.

Runequest 6 is out and is available from [url=http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/]The Design Mechanism[url]. They have a few specialized settings and adventure collections as well, but, as noted, none of them are Glorantha-specific. Supposedly there is a new Runequest Glorantha book in the works somewhere but I don't have any specifics. The RQ6 magic system isn't 100% compatible with the magic system from older, Glorantha-specific RQ rulesets (maybe 80-90%). The whole system is ultimately based on Chaosium's BRP system, as are Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer/Elric, so if you've got ready access to any of those, you can get a feel for the RQ6 magic rules.

Earlier versions of Runequest are probably available cheap at an FLGS of sufficient size (e.g. The Source in St. Paul, MN has a bunch of them); in general they're okay but a lot of their fluff is disapproved.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello it is a Gen-Con Thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692885

I am going to reply to a post from this thread over there for Web 3.0 accessibility

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I got my BttF set in today and will watch it on Saturday. I guess I'll live tweet it for proof.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yay more people! :toot:

It might sound weird but I feel from what I've seen we have similar tastes in games. I'm excited to play a game with you

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://www.gamer-xp.com/gamerxps-best-tabletop-games-of-the-year-2014/ My newest game, Law's Out, was featured as GamerXP's best diceless game of 2014! :toot:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
congratulations!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I hope between this and the 6FU episodes people are starting to play it. It's so much fun.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I love the game and bought it in like day one, but haven't gotten any of my friends to play it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

http://www.gamer-xp.com/gamerxps-best-tabletop-games-of-the-year-2014/ My newest game, Law's Out, was featured as GamerXP's best diceless game of 2014! :toot:

This is the first I've heard of it and I'm a big fan of your work. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Some of you might remember this from a chat thread a couple of months back, but I recently started working at an elementary school and as a part of my job I'm running an RPG club for some of the first and second-graders. We just finished a series of adventures about Santa Claus having called in sick for the first time in many centuries and our intrepid heroes having to help him save Christmas. With the Spring term starting I decided to ask the kids for input on what they'd like to play next. I took some ideas from the kids and in the end the winning choice was Plush World, i.e. a world inhabited by all kinds of plush toys. I then started fleshing out the setting with the kids.

ME: Okay, so what sorts of threats are there in Plush World?
KID #1: Evil plastic robots that hate all things soft and plushy!
KID #2: Yeah, and they want to turn all the plushies into robots like them!
ME: Okay, that's some good stuff! So I take it the plastic robots have recently kidnapped some plushies and you're out to save them before they're turned into robots too. Question: should a plushie get turned into a robot, is there any way to still save them?
KID #3: Yeah, if the robot remembers you from when they were still a plushie, you can use Cuteness (one of the stats we're using in this game) to transform them back into plushies!
KID #4: Yeah, and all the robots have screens on their stomachs from which you can see their original form! If it's a picture of a robot it means they were a robot made in a factory and if it's a plushie you know they used to be a plushie!

I told the kids that they could each bring a small plush toy to the club next week to use as their characters, and the kids are already abuzz with excitement thinking which plushies they want to bring. These kids are great. :allears:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Found this in a Knights of the Dinner Table strip from 2005.

It's pretty funny in retrospect, especially the footnote.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gnome7 posted:

This just became literally the first rpg 8 years I bought a print copy of.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What are some good resources for running RPGs for kids? I could have sworn there were a couple of blogs about it, but I can only find the one with the quirky/cool art and simplified D&D 4e character sheets.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

AlphaDog posted:

What are some good resources for running RPGs for kids? I could have sworn there were a couple of blogs about it, but I can only find the one with the quirky/cool art and simplified D&D 4e character sheets.

I heard good things about DAGGER. It's OSR, but super-simplified.

Hero Kids is a really popular RPG designed for children players in mind.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks, I've never heard of DAGGER.

I should have mentioned: I bought the bundle of holding with the kids' RPGs in it (so I've got Hero Kids as well as a few other interesting looking games), I was more after discussion, advice, and extra resources apart from those games.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apropos of nothing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maybe in FATAL?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
these are just as great

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
The orc baker is awesome. I can see him beating on fools with a nice hot peel all day.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
We just got in FFG's End Of The World RPG: Zombie Apocalypse (tm) in today, and I had a quick thumb through it. It's probably a bit overproduced, about $40 retail for a game that's designed to be played as 5 shortish, unconnected scenarios. The rules are extremely lightweight, and amusingly enough they managed to make a pretty port of their WHFRP3/Starwars fancy dice system over to a game that uses standard d6s.

Here's the universal mechanic: Everything you can think of that helps you do a thing gives you 1 Good Die each. Everything you can think of that makes it hard to do a thing gives you 1 Bad Die each. Roll all the dice. Every good die/bad die pair with the same number cancels out. Then if you have any good dice left that are equal to or lower than your target number, you succeed, but any uncancelled bad dice stress you out. For instance, if you roll a 2, 2, 5 on your good dice, and a 2, 4 on your bad dice, then you end up with a 2, 5 remaining on the good dice and a 4 on the bad dice. That 2 is used to determine if you succeed or fail, and the leftover 4 on the bad dice gives you 1 stress. That's basically it.

I'm not a fan of 'Play yourself in an RPG' games personally, but I could see myself playing this with made up characters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
DID SOMEONE SAY PLAYING AS YOURSfhjghfhgskfakregargagghhghhhhhh

I am sure my gaming group will have played through every scenario in all four books as soon as they are all released and I will give a second-hand review of how they are all amazing and everyone else will think they sound terrible per usual

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
One of the rules previews for that "play yourself" zombie game (which I assume will also be present in the other games) is SECRET VOTING on how accurate your self-scribed portrayal of you as an RPG character is. Basically characters have six stats in a D&D-esque arrangement, two physical, two mental, and two social, and you give yourself whatever values you feel best represent you on the honor system.

But! Once that's done everybody else around the table gets to secretly vote on how accurate they find each of your stat categories and whether the values should be adjusted up or down. It's amazing, it's like someone sat down and asked themselves "how can I bring new, untapped levels of passive-aggression to the tabletop roleplaying experience? Oh I know, by making it possible to secretly (or "secretly") tell Bob that he isn't as smart or likeable as he thinks he is." Alternately nobody votes anybody's stats down because they don't want to be the person who turns tabletop game night into Thanksgiving with the in-laws with their well-meaning observation that Bob gets winded going up and down the stairs so maybe a Vitality of 4 is a bit excessive.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kai Tave posted:

But! Once that's done everybody else around the table gets to secretly vote on how accurate they find each of your stat categories and whether the values should be adjusted up or down. It's amazing, it's like someone sat down and asked themselves "how can I bring new, untapped levels of passive-aggression to the tabletop roleplaying experience? Oh I know, by making it possible to secretly (or "secretly") tell Bob that he isn't as smart or likeable as he thinks he is." Alternately nobody votes anybody's stats down because they don't want to be the person who turns tabletop game night into Thanksgiving with the in-laws with their well-meaning observation that Bob gets winded going up and down the stairs so maybe a Vitality of 4 is a bit excessive.
Ugh.

I almost like the idea of a secret vote for positive things only; "does anyone think Kai Tave is being too modest with his 17 INT? Vote yes if you think he should have at least a 20."

Considering the supplement I once contemplated writing on this subject was going to be system-neutral because I had no idea why anyone would decide they needed a SPECIFIC SYSTEM FOR PLAYING THEMSELVES, apparently that is exactly what they have decided. And it is basically just like other systems except passive-aggressive. Fun!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's among the worst gaming ideas I've ever read.

e: I do occasionally game with dudes who are all competitive martial artists, and I'm 90% sure they'd be chill about it since they already know who's the strongest/fastest/toughest, are gonna all insist that everyone else's social stats are set to "poor" anyway (which happens even in D&D), and have in the past argued that mental stats in RPGs are dumb as poo poo.

e2: Actually, I don't see them wanting to play themselves in an RPG at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 10, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quarex posted:

Ugh.

I almost like the idea of a secret vote for positive things only; "does anyone think Kai Tave is being too modest with his 17 INT? Vote yes if you think he should have at least a 20."

Considering the supplement I once contemplated writing on this subject was going to be system-neutral because I had no idea why anyone would decide they needed a SPECIFIC SYSTEM FOR PLAYING THEMSELVES, apparently that is exactly what they have decided. And it is basically just like other systems except passive-aggressive. Fun!

To be fair there's nothing that says you can't do exactly what you propose as you're allowed to vote to raise peoples' stats as well as lower them, but the fact that you have to houserule this into place definitely gives things a distinct air of strained politeness, and I have a feeling a lot of groups that wind up playing this may end up doing it this way simply because nobody wants to be the person to set that domino chain off.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

I love all of these.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

This one might help, but you'll have to go digging for the actual advice.

http://dungeon-elementary.tumblr.com

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am about to watch Back to the Future. I'll be livetweeting it, so if you wanna follow along, check out @Waffleman_ or hashtag #BttW.

Edit: I watched it. Don't ban me now.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 10, 2015

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I am about to watch Back to the Future. I'll be livetweeting it, so if you wanna follow along, check out @Waffleman_ or hashtag #BttW.

Edit: I watched it. Don't ban me now.

A TG success story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Hey Gary, it's your cousin Marvin! Marvin Gygax! You know that new game you were looking for? Well, take a listen to this!"

*Holds out phone as Michael J. Fox gets a nat 20*

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Waffleman_ posted:

"Hey Gary, it's your cousin Marvin! Marvin Gygax! You know that new game you were looking for? Well, take a listen to this!"

*Holds out phone as Michael J. Fox gets a nat 20*

Voted 5.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Waffleman_ posted:

*Holds out phone as Dave Arneson gets a nat 20*

Shots fired.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"You play FATAL?!"

"Come on, Marty. Don't be a square. Anyone who's anyone plays FATAL."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something wonderful is happening here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Marty, I'm back from the future! You gotta come with me!"

"What, is something wrong with me?"

"No, you're fine. It's your kids, Marty! Something's gotta be done about your kids! They're playing 5e!"

"Doc, I don't think we have a high enough DEX bonus here!"

"Where we're going.....we don't need bonuses."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
"Why do you keep calling me Monte?"
"Well, that is your name, isn't it? Monte Cook? It's written all over your schoolbooks."

• Locked thread