Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I want to run Dungeon World, and 13th Age, and something not-fantasy eventually. I don't know if I have the storytelling jones to do horror/Cthulu-type stuff, but at least something modern like a heist game or spy-game or WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Where should I get started on RuneQuest (OpenQuest?). I've heard some things about this system's magic and I want to see what a percentile-based engine is like.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading through RuneQuest 6 Essentials and something that immediately jumped out to me were sidebars where the writer explains the reasoning behind a particular rule or abstraction. I've only see this in one other place outside of video games, some Eastern Front boardgame where the designer takes similar "breaks" in the flow of the rules to offer a historical tidbit about how why a rule was made that way.

I feel like that's a practice that could stand to be adopted by more designers (unless it already is and I just don't read enough). Granted, in video games we usually see it in blog posts and patch notes and the likes, but we do see it, and the increased transparency couldn't hurt.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Shlavi the Paladin.

Yay more people! :toot:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

neonchameleon posted:

Off the top of my head 13th Age does this with both Tweet and Heinsoo commenting.

I completely forgot about that, but yeah 13th Age does do it pretty well too!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading through HeroQuest on the suggestion of a few posters and the central conceit of a single global Difficulty Check that becomes more difficult as the players start scoring more successes and easier as they keep failing just sounds so brilliant that I wonder if anybody'd notice if I tried pulling it off in any other system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

I suppose there's always Pathfinder Unchained to look forward to.

What is Pathfinder Unchained, exactly? I don't know if it's just that title specifically, or just Paizo as a company, or the TRPG industry in general, but trying to find a "preview" of it has not been easy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Spincut posted:

I miss 4e. :( Is there any game that does 4e but better? I sometimes long for that kind of tactical combat.

4th Trifold is a very close approximation of 4E while getting rid of some of the worst aspects.

D&D Greatest Hits distills it down even further. It's like the OSR and 4E had a lovechild.

Finally, Strike! is more of a spiritual successor/creative reinterpretation that still scratches that tactical battle itch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I like this a lot. Who made it?

Somethingawful user eth0.n Between him and P.d0t, what is it with usernames with dots and zeroes that makes you good at reductive RPG design?

I saw it from the February 2013 TG design thread. Hell of a find, actually - I was just skimming the first hundred pages or so of Imp Zone's D&D Next thread and a mention was buried in there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
By now I would consider "D&D Fantasy" as a subgenre unto itself. Appendix N would be an explanation of the tropes and conventions that the game has created because of its touchstone role.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

Isn't this basically the same thing that happened with the Diablo and Warcraft games?

d20 :allears:

The d20 Warcraft game still has Vancian casting, its incredible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Littlefinger posted:

I kid you not, one of their main lines is "d20 D&D, but more d20-er".

Are you talking about True20?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

Blue Rose actually came before True20- it getting turned into a generic system is at least partly down to "Goddamn, if we release this as a generic system maybe Nisarg/Pundit will shut the gently caress up already." (As at the time he was constantly flooding the Blue Rose boards with bitching about romantic fantasy tropes and how it should have been a generic system without the built in setting) Which shows they didn't know him very well, as releasing a generic version just made him insufferable "I was right" forever.

:psyduck: goddamn, I like True20. That such toxic figures hold influence in the hobby is pretty scary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an application that'll let you merge PDFs together? Or perhaps it's an option in Foxit/Adobe that I just haven't discovered yet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
System Mastery is Fatal and Friends: The Podcast, though I find it much funnier than the actual thread. The Game Design Round Table is also a regular listen for me, although that's more about boardgames and (strategy) video games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Might I recommend World of Dungeons? Very open-ended and easy to play, character creation can take all of 30 seconds, and it's still made for dungeon crawling.

DalaranJ posted:

Lasers and Feelings

(Lady Blackbird is also a good game.)

Huh. Apparently John Harper made all these games. Seems like a pretty cool guy to have designed such nice little systems.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Guilty Spork posted:

My thoughts on Blue Rose were basically, "Huh. Not for me, but it's cool that that exists for people who want it." If I were into the system I might've added, "It'd be neat if they could do a generic version of this system too."

But then I'm not really into projecting my personal preferences onto How Things Must Be Forever. Guess I wouldn't make a good pundit! But that's okay, because not being a pundit makes it easier for me to look at myself in the mirror.

From what I understand they actually did release a generic version of the system, what we now know as True20.

unseenlibrarian posted:

He does not seem to have noticed, which is probably the best for my blood pressure.

Also for a serious answer to what is Blue Rose: It was an RPG based on a very stripped down version of D20 (That later became True20)- the idea being 'simple game to play in the romantic fantasy genre, since it's not a genre that's really common at all in RPGs," (Romantic fantasy being defined here as "Map fantasy written mostly for young girls": Lackey's Valdemar stuff, Tamora Pierce's Tortall stuff, etc.) So they made a setting suited for the genre, with general idea being that you'd be the wandering troubleshooters for the heroic progressive kingdom, bounded on one side by an evil sorcerer kingdom and on the other by an intolerant theocracy, etc, with talking animals running around.

And people (Especially Nisarg/Pundit/Tarnowski) lost their loving minds.

Huh. I already did like True20, now I kinda want to check out Blue Rose because I really liked Tamora Pierce's Alanna series as a kid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

So you're saying that grogs who want their fantasy kingdom to be full of jerks aren't going far enough and should run games about how much the Weimar Republic sucked?

A campaign set in the Fantasy Weimar Republic where you try to stop putschs and kick Freikorps rear end and get enough trade going to improve the economy and improve the general peace and order of things enough so that President Hindendwarf doesn't have to resort to appointing Adelf Hitler sounds like a good idea and an inversion of the "everything sucks and is grimdark" trope.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Everything about PFO just makes me think Goblinworks/Paizo looked at Star Citizen and went, "Well, they got away with it..."

I'm pretty sure PFO predates Star CitiMasterCard, but yeah, it does seem like they're both cut from the same cloth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I sort of owe Pathfinder Online for getting me into the hobby. Ryan Dancey was a guest at a gaming podcast I listened to and he spouted off a bunch of claims about how much better Pathfinder was than D&D and how Pathfinder Online was going to be huge that I found incredibly ridiculous, and someone at Games pointed me towards TG when I asked about how much of it was bullshit (all of it)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What I'm wondering is why so many digital iterations of D&D obviate the use of the grid. Even TOEE was miniatures-style absolute distances.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Frisk posted:

Fantasy XCOM. Imagine how fun that would be.

Jake Solomon needs to release full modding tools so someone can turn XCOM into D&D 4th Edition

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I guess maybe OpenXCom could work too? It'd even have that early 90s Gold Box look.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

The better example in the Realms is actually Cormyr, because the Obarskyrs were chosen by the Purple Dragon and the elves of Cormanthyr to be good rulers of the kingdom. That didn't always work (cf the ghazneths) but it's better than a lot of other things.

You just set off an old memory for me. I read Death of the Dragon back in high school and it was the most incredible thing at the time. Azoun IV fighting a dragon and Vangerdahast doing all sorts of poo poo and the Queen and the daughter (gosh I forget their names now) trying to pull the kingdom together and mass combat and political intrigue. I've got to track down a copy and reread that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Grizzled war veterans shooting down demonic invaders long enough to allow untrained, barely armored exorcists to complete their rituals and seal off a portal to Hell.
Balancing your resources so that, if a werefolf pack starts assaulting people in the Black Forest, Germany, you can afford to arm them with silver bullets.
A dragon and its brood swooping down on Wall Street.

I see the appeal.

It occurs to me that the Rookie meat grinder of the original X-Com and the 3d6-down-the-line character grinder of original D&D (and Dungeon Crawl Classics, et al) probably tap into the same masochistic streak.

• Locked thread