Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PuttyKnife posted:

This year I am hoping to go to ... Gencon. I haven't gone for 14 years!
Hell yeah! See you there!

I will be posting the 2015 thread sooner than usual, as it DOES functionally start a month nearly this year!

Lord Frisk posted:

Just had a buddy over and made tentative plans for GenCon 2015. Board game room here I come.
See you too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Registration opens this month! I was going to bump the old thread that day assuming it isn't in archives.
I think things have started taking much longer to be archived; I know Traditional Games was always a bit more forgiving in that manner than other subforums, but both of my threads that died in September are still around, and one was in regular Games.

I put out a call in August for submitting Gen-Con photos for this year's thread, but I might as well repeat it here. Point me to your Gen-Con photos! I will likely use them! Or e-mail them to me if you are ashamed to have them directly connected to you! @GMail.com!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

When I get home I'll gather my pictures from the last few years and send them to you. I'm hoping this year to get more gaming in. A family crisis pretty much put me in a drunken stupor from Friday to Sunday.
Did you talk about that in the thread? I feel like someone was discussing a family crisis, though that might have been in the GroupMe chat too and I could have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I do hope your 2015 is infinitely better, though!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

It might have been. My mom has a leaky heart valve and a doctor at one hospital saw it in a scan and went "oh poo poo your heart is exploding. let's helicopter you to cleveland clinic and you might die before you get there." And when she go to the Cleveland Clinic they did the same scan and went "Okay? This is literally something we knew about that isn't a big deal at all."
Hah, ugh. Well at least it went from "incredibly terrible news" to "oh, dammit. Jerks. Ruining my mom's day AND my Gen-Con."

Len posted:

Is your email just quarexATLOLgmailDOTLOLcom?
MY PRECIOUS E-MAIL

THE SPAM

OH GOD

*deluge*

:kraken:

But yes, that is it.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 6, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh god the Gen-Con thread is needed already, I will try to get it posted tonight.

Edit: Nah, tomorrow. I would have a little more repeated from last year's thread than I would like if I did it tonight.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 6, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello it is a Gen-Con Thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692885

I am going to reply to a post from this thread over there for Web 3.0 accessibility

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
DID SOMEONE SAY PLAYING AS YOURSfhjghfhgskfakregargagghhghhhhhh

I am sure my gaming group will have played through every scenario in all four books as soon as they are all released and I will give a second-hand review of how they are all amazing and everyone else will think they sound terrible per usual

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kai Tave posted:

But! Once that's done everybody else around the table gets to secretly vote on how accurate they find each of your stat categories and whether the values should be adjusted up or down. It's amazing, it's like someone sat down and asked themselves "how can I bring new, untapped levels of passive-aggression to the tabletop roleplaying experience? Oh I know, by making it possible to secretly (or "secretly") tell Bob that he isn't as smart or likeable as he thinks he is." Alternately nobody votes anybody's stats down because they don't want to be the person who turns tabletop game night into Thanksgiving with the in-laws with their well-meaning observation that Bob gets winded going up and down the stairs so maybe a Vitality of 4 is a bit excessive.
Ugh.

I almost like the idea of a secret vote for positive things only; "does anyone think Kai Tave is being too modest with his 17 INT? Vote yes if you think he should have at least a 20."

Considering the supplement I once contemplated writing on this subject was going to be system-neutral because I had no idea why anyone would decide they needed a SPECIFIC SYSTEM FOR PLAYING THEMSELVES, apparently that is exactly what they have decided. And it is basically just like other systems except passive-aggressive. Fun!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
"Why do you keep calling me Monte?"
"Well, that is your name, isn't it? Monte Cook? It's written all over your schoolbooks."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Has anyone ever actually PLAYED Metamorphosis Alpha? I even backed the new Kickstarter for $1 just for its own sake, but I have no idea if it was just "D&D on a Worldship with mutations" or if there was more to it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't think Galaxy Express 999 is particularly resonant with young gamers today.
I just found out about this a couple of weeks ago, and it is the first anime I have wanted to watch since like 1997. Glad to hear it is apparently as awesome as it sounds.

Lightning Lord posted:

So I was talking with my buddy the other day and the subject of what an Appendix N for people just starting fantasy gaming today would look like. We got annoyed with all the crusty old dudes who's answer to that question is just "lol anime because 4e is anime" I'm out of touch and my elfbook literary tastes run more towards the likes of Jack Vance and Patricia McKillip, so beyond the obvious answers of Song of Ice and Fire, China Mieville's work, Dresden Files and Name of the Wind we drew a bit of a blank. I also suggested things like comics such as the Sandman and Elfquest, but I'm not sure if that's just my old man 70s fantasy nerd tastes speaking. What would be on this list? It should be things that, like the original Appendix N are older or extremely influential so while I personally am inspired by Rat Queens and Skullkickers, they're way too new.
I enjoyed the Tor read-through of everything in Appendix N, particularly when they discovered a good half of the influences are either irredeemably vile or eye-rollingly dull by modern standards...though it is equally interesting that some of the lesser-known stuff apparently resonates so well still now.

Oh, and so because of that, I think this is an incredibly interesting goal. Though they HAVE a new equivalent of Appendix N, right? I only know about this because my favorite Jon Peterson's "Playing at the World" is recommended reading in whichever of the 5th Edition books has the list.

I actually think the Chronicles of Narnia makes about as much sense as anything by Tolkien in terms of establishing Dungeons & Dragons-y things. I remember watching the newest film version of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in the theater and thinking "man, how long have I been waiting to actually see the full panoply of Dungeons & Dragons monsters make an appearance in a fantasy film instead of a tiny subsection deemed 'realistic?'"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dwarf74 posted:

So, apropos of nothing, you goons need to watch the Amazon pilot for The Man in the High Castle like, loving, now.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Castle/dp/B00RSGFRY8/
Well I loved it, Dwarf74. Though the concept of not understanding how this would work mystifies me; they made it clear like 5 minutes in that the Nazis had the atomic bomb, and the subtext there is that the USA did not. So we probably gave up rather than lose all the rest of our major cities the same way. Is it really that hard to rationalize?

(Plus, if the Soviet-Nazi alliance had ACTUALLY held up, there is another major reason the Axis was doomed that is averted)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well poo poo now that I know I can finally be Chris Dane Owens I am pretty interested in Blue Rose.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ProfessorCirno posted:

Don't forget...it has a SEQUEL! And it's planned on being a TRILOGY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRumTSNXTe0
A SEQUEL

THANK YOU!!!

Dude if I spent this much time and effort on something and it had 19,000 views in a year on YouTube I would just stop

Also yeah this song is ... well it actually sounds like those times I accidentally turn on Disney Radio to me, so I guess he has that going for him?

Reene posted:

Especially since putting yourself out there like that, particularly these days, is like painting a giant target on your back.
God ugh it makes me so mad. At least the panel itself would probably go well, it is just the time leading up to the panel ... and then forever after the panel ... that whoever she is might get harassed.

Sigh

I wish there were a way to find these people (the harassers) in real life so I could talk to them in a fashion where they might have no choice but to listen.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Let me just remind everyone that this is an event that had to be held at Gencon. I'm still unsure how this needed to be a mediated discussion.

I do get a chuckle out of the fact the Cosplay Deviants sponsored the panel. So the creepy nerds that just listened to a seminar about respecting the boundaries of cosplayers can go and buy nudes of them in the vendor hall.
The "why" has already been covered, but the Cosplay Deviants are extremely sensitive to these issues for perhaps very obvious reasons. Also they are awesome people and anyone into Nerd Playboy should investigate. I am not a paid representative of Cosplay Deviants(tm)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, it's been around for a few years now, but some (terrible) people see it as infringing on their rights or "then why are they dressed like that?" or NOT ALL MEN.
And the reason I personally find the fact that the whole movement is needed so upsetting is because the only gamer I have ever hung out with who is both right-wing and legendarily lecherous and who is pretty unsympathetic in general to women's issues was genuinely upset to find out that some people think touching cosplayers is O.K. He might stare at them all day long in the meantime, but he once threatened to punch a dude who was trying to put his camera up someone's skirt. So what I am saying is that the people for whom "Cosplay is not consent" is targeted are amazingly worrying.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, I don't know why, but it's just as though there's something faintly unbelievable about hordes of women charging up to a bunch of unshaven nerds and begging to have their breasts groped.
Oh god. I am glad I stopped reading by then. Though that also means I am unglad that you did not :(

I actually had no problem believing that the first part of his story happened, as I have heard that quote almost verbatim more than once. But to say that the women who say things like that are outliers is an understatement--and needless to say, this is still contextual, and like "I am comfortable enough with you that this would not faze me" not "OH! MY SEXUAL LIBERATION HAS FINALLY OCCURRED!" which is the straight-up sinister tone I get from that dude's quotes. Vjhsvhkjvaljkar

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Helical Nightmares posted:

A dated reference, but this is literally:

"Dear Penthouse Forums, I never thought it would happen to me..."

Meaning it is likely complete fabrication.
Hahaha. Yeah, you have to be a certain kind of person for those kinds of stories to be true, and someone so oblivious as to have put this whole thing together in the first place is likely not such a person. Though I suppose we should not discount the idea that these "women" were all the same woman wearing different cosplay outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It actually plays like the original version only less buggy and with content.
I loved Hellgate: London to pieces until I realized that the enemies respawned if you waited around too long--like if you, for example, played a sniper who just enjoyed killing everything without it being able to get to you, which took much longer than being a berserking idiot who just ran into everything. :( So somehow I doubt my biggest problem (said respawning) is fixed. IF IT IS, THOUGH, OH MAN, that game was so much potential fun

Also it is February

If I did not already have a stickied thread I would go post the apocalypse myself

Edit: Also being preemptively banned from Pathfinder Online is kind of irritating. Even though I have been 1,000,000% anti-griefing for the entirety of my gaming life, I now want to join a stealth Goon group to go ruin that game someday. (Though only because they apparently do want intrigue and player-versus-player insanity and are just shooting themselves in the foot by trying to ban the Internet's best gaming antagonists)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 1, 2015

• Locked thread