Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Louise Septienne

The chair creaks in protest as Louise sits down, still clad in her plate armor. She would be damned if she let herself get caught off guard just because of discomfort, the armor stayed on until this situation was dealt with.

So Reed wanted to know about Greenstand? It might be a good idea to let him and the rest know what was waiting, morale already seemed low but if they harbored any false hope that the dragon would just up and leave it would be disastrous when it made it's move. She couldn't have useless people on her side if she was to face a dragon. Besides, it was fair trade for the food as far as she was concerned.

"Our sortie was interesting to say the least. The objective seemed simple enough, as simple as it gets when it involves magical runes capable of turning a man into ash in the blink of an eye. As you might have heard, Greenstand was infested by something, and we were sent to evict the pests, permanently." Louise points a finger upwards at where the dragon should be circling the tower. "It turned out that someone else had the same idea."

"As we got near Greenstand the earth shook and we could see great flames light up the night above the ruins. Before we had a chance to react we were beset upon by ruthless lizardmen, shaking their spears at us, and a small band of kobolds that came screaming from behind us. We had walked into an ambush!" The dwarf shows up in the hole in the wall with a plate and a mug, Louise stands up and walks over to grab her meal. "The kobolds had the first strike, their leader charged at me and struck me." She puts her food down on the table and then gestures at the dent in her armor. With a vicious smile she continues. "That was the last mistake he ever did." She then draws the shield from her back and leans on it against the tabletop. "I took this souvenir from his corpse. These bars are a symbol of the Three. As it turns out they were working with the beast that's harassing our tower at this very moment."

Louise fastens the shield onto her back and retakes her seat. "The battle was short and bloody, we unleashed our full arsenal on the poor bastards and down they went. I'll spare you the details, I wouldn't want to rob you of what remains of your appetite." She deftly skewers an unsuspecting parsnip with her fork, then follows up with a quick jab at a piece of meat and shoves it into her mouth. Honey on parsnip? Maybe there is such a thing as too sweet after all. It wasn't bad though, quite good in fact. This was exactly what she needed.

She takes a swig of what turns out to be watered down ale, not exactly what she needed, and resumes her tale. "As we rushed towards Greenstand we heard a thunderous roar from the sky, it was our new scaly friend dragging a storm of lightning with it towards Boltstrike. Steadfast to finish our mission we proceeded to Greenstand where we were met with a macabre scene. The runes had already been triggered, whatever beings that had been inhabiting the ruins were burnt to a crisp, but there was one thing left standing..." She locks eyes with Reed. "A twisted demonic altar stood alone, covered in a thick malicious fog. We approached it gingerly and went about dismantling it. We succeeded. It bled. A whole lot."

She scoops up another mouthful and devours it then realizes she has yet to make her point.
"That dragon is not here because of mere chance, it is acting according to a plan. It's first objective was to claim Greenstand, but all it managed to do was help us murder our enemies. Now it wants to take Boltstrike, but all it will manage to do is help us murder itself. We'll make it bleed. A whole lot."

She looked down at her empty plate, still feeling that void within her. "Any chance I could get seconds?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion throws up his hands, surrounded by books. Drivel about multicolored scales, rumors of sparkling in sunlight, but nothing concrete or usable in the upcoming battle.

The half Orc needed a walk, something to put his thoughts together. Something was certain, blue dragons were excellent spell casters. And Denarion knew certain wizards could, after extensive study, cancel the effects of spells cast in their vicinity. Rowan certainly could, but perhaps there were others in this tower of wizards with the same talents.

Denarion steps out of his room to find Hobbs, that senior wizard that portaled them over. He would probably know who in this tower was capable of counter magic. And it would be a good chance to learn the tower's history and capabilities.

gonna try a Archmage positive icon roll: 1d6 4 bah

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Charles strokes his chin and tries to remember where, if anywhere, he has seen the weapon before. It certainly seems familiar. Then its name, history and abilities suddenly appear in his head, fully formed. The sword is a cursed weapon named Glazenthorg the Bloody. For many years it was the favoured weapon of a demonic general serving the colossal demon that he himself felled. After the demon's loss, it became property of a promising Crusader knight. However, the knight was too greedy for magical items and his mind, body, and soul could not handle the weight of the sword. The curse was activated - though its exact details are unknown. Still... its a powerful weapon...

Rowan finds Amelia in her office. The minute he sticks his head around the door, she ushers him in and closes it behind him.

"You must be Hawthorn? I trust you brought the book?" She immediately takes it outside, and orders a guard to take it to Hobbs. She returns, sighing. "Good. That's one thing done. Now, I have something for you."

Taking the scabbard covered in chains and locks from her back, she holds it out to Rowan.

"You don't look like much of a swordsman, but I was ordered to give this to you. I... cannot order you to take it, but... God, this is complicated and frustrating! I CAN'T order you take it or you won't have it for long - somehow, it'll find its way back here. But if I offer it, and you take it willingly, then that's fine. Your friends want this sword, so at the end of your journey, you can offer it to them, and they will willingly take it. In the meantime, I suggest you offer it willingly to one of your companions."

Whoever ends up with the sword eventually.

Glazenthorg the Bloody
(melee weapon – recharge 11+):
When you hit with an attack using this weapon that
staggers or drops an enemy, make another melee
attack that turn as a free action.

Curse: The weapon drains the soul immensly if the wielder is over encumbered with magical items. Furthermore, it cannot be lost or thrown away because it will miraculously finds its way back to the wielder. The only way to get rid of it is to offer it willingly, and have it willingly taken. You don't necessarily know that.

Denarion finds Hobbs just as the guard arrives with a copy of Axeron Bledfowl’s Rift Weavery and Leyline Repair. The old man grasps the book in his ancient hands and chuckles.

"That's the one! That's what we need! Archmage be blessed!"

He notices Denarion nearby, but just seems pleased to have another scholar to talk to.

"You see this! It's the greatest tome on leyline repair the world has ever seen! Others favor the Glennister book... what's it called? Umm.. The Invisible Tapestry! But I've always said that Glennister overlooks the importance of safety loops and double-binding. This! This is the one we need! If anything can anchor this tower back in place and fix the bloody thing, its this! Oh what a time for an attack! If this bloody dragon had waited a few more days, we'd have the tower fully operational again!"

Reed is enchanted by Louise's story. He nods along, licking his lips, his face a picture of concern.

"We could be in serious, deep trouble then?" he says.

And then there is a great scream from outside! A scream that shakes the tower itself.

People run around in every direction. Hobbs, Reed, Amelia, anyone else that the party are talking to, all spring to action. Someone begins ringing an alarm. Guards move in hastily cobbled together units. Rumors and panicked exaggerations fly back and forth. Everyone converges in the central hall of the second floor. Amelia manages to gain some semblance of order from the guards, but the wizards are running frantic. Then another voice cuts across the masses.

"The defenses are down!" Hobbs bellows. "Someone switched off the magical defenses! Anyone who knows any magic whatsoever, place your bloody hands on the wall and channel!"

There is a sound like the air itself being ripped in half and the tower shakes so hard that dust falls from the ceiling. Then there comes a mighty crash from above.

"The dragon has landed on the bloody tower! Quickly! Channel at the walls!"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Well drat. Denarion had hoped that the dragon would have had the courtesy to wait until the he could get some food. Ah well, best do what he could
And right now, that was channeling power. A simple, somewhat brute force method. But Denarion had brute force and magical power to spare. He places both hands on a nearby wall and channels energy as fast as he can.

"Hobbs, you said you could fix the tower? Tell me what you need, because repairs will need to be done quickly!"

Magical Prodigy + Int: 1d20+9 23 I'm channeling, I'm channeling!

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The second that Denarion places his fingertips against the wall, he feels arcane powers rippling forth. He forces as much power through his body as he can, and a split-second later the wall is glowing around him. A few of the assembled wizards mumble and gesticulate wildly towards him and watch as veins of golden light shoot up through the wall and disappear behind the ceiling.

The ground shakes again.

"That was... incredible. It was as if... as if the force of The Archmage himself was working through you! You and I will need to have a long discussion at some point, half-o... Denarion," Hobbs stammers.

With a wave of his hands, the stretch of wall before you fades to invisible, revealing the outside. The storm is now directly above the tower, and through its eye you see the blue dragon clutching the top of Boltstrike Pillar in its talons. Its eyes glow with an intense light, and lightning crackles over its scales. Leaning forward, its tail rises into the air and bolts of lightning strike it directly. Rather than being damaged, it appears to thrive off of this.

"Look!" a wizard shouts.

Following his finger you see the golden veins travelling, thicker and brighter, up the outside of the tower above. They gain in size and speed until the dragon notices them and immediately releases the tower. She flaps her wings hard and manages to break away, but a bolt of golden energy fires in a blinding beam, tearing through one wing and shredding one side of her body apart. She screams, tries to stay afloat, then crashes to the ground, writhing and stumbling to find her balance. She raises her head and launches a stream of dancing lightning from her maw that blasts chunks of rock from Boltstrike Pillar. Stumbling forward, she grabs a chunk of wall in her claw and effortlessly drags it away.

"Someone upstairs is meddling with the towers defenses!" Hobbs bellows.
"Intruders?" one guard snaps.
"Spies? Oh God, what if it is a traitor?!" a halfling mage cries.

Amelia pushes her way through the crowd and summons the party together as one.

"You're needed in two places at once! Now that it's grounded, you stand a chance against the dragon! I will send guards to assist, but I need to save as many men as possible as a last line of defence. If Boltstrike Pillar falls..." her voice trails off. "We also need someone to tackle whoever or whatever is causing the disruption upstairs... if it is spy, working undetected, they could be the entire reason the arcane has been sporadically failing here! I will keep base here, I will send Varis and his unit to make sure the path down to the dragon is safe. I would ask for your help, but you have little choice it seems. Where do you wish to go first?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion's own jaw drops at the power on display. It was so... natural to wield. Denarion mumbles something under his breath.
"Power, but not through simple gesticulations. If the body can be wielded like a staff, could more be possible?"

He shakes his head. There's no time for theorizing! He takes another look at the magic window.

"Two wings or no, that dragon is still tearing the tower apart like an overripe tomato! If we don't stop it soon, there may not be a tower to save! We have to get down there!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rowan Hawthorn

"I accept the sword, although I don't think I'll get much use out of it. Perhaps Citra is in the market for a replacement...We can talk more about this later, Amelia."

---

Rowan steadies himself against a wall. "What in the hell was that!?" Guards are running around, and Rowan thinks he hears the words Wounded Dragon, Spy, and Collapse. It seems that the party started while he was sleeping and delivering packages. Ah well, he is rested and ready for action now.

Rowan eventually finds himself back with the others. "Everyone. If we don't take care of that dragon, the tower will kill us before we can catch the spy. It's wounded, so we can get the drop on it now.

And someone take this sword off my hands for now. Let's call it a loan for the time being."

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

Stats		      At Will:   	        Daily/Recharge:
HP	18/18	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow(2)  [ ][ ]	
Rec.	8/8	      Ray of Frost(1)	        Utility(1)     [ ][ ]
AC	13	        	                Blur(1)        [ ]
PD	12            Per Battle/Cyclic:
MD	15            Counter-Magic (free reaction) [ ]

Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Items: Healing Potion: Standard action: Recovery + 1d8 hp, does not heal beyond 30hp. 
Forest Warden Cloak: +1PD, +4 to Nature-related Skill Checks.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Gwahaha! Now we're speaking my language!" Charles cackles as he bowls into the room, helmet under one arm and eyes alight. After hearing what Amelia has to say, he wastes no time. "I don't know so much about no spies, but if there is a beast in need of slaying, I've got you covered! What do you say, fellers?" he says, turning to the gathered crowd. "Let's go have ourselves a rootin' tootin' good time! Haha!"

Hardly waiting for a reply, the crazy old coot moves toward the stairs and begins affixing his helmet. It's probably just your imagination, but his armor seems a little shinier, a little less beat up than it did the day before.

Hero's Inspiration (Hero + Cha): 1d20+5+2+1 22 Putting on a show to get people's spirits up; wouldn't do to have the "troops" panicked or despairing at a time like this!

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Here we go. Here we go. Louise was bristling with excitement. A thought went racing through her head, how had she ended up in this situation? It didn't matter, she had picked her allies and her enemy. There was but one thought necessary right now.

Louise raises her scimitar above her head and yells. "Let's gut the dragon!" She rushes off after Charles.

pre:
Louise Septienne

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily/Recharge
HP	34/34	Demonic Smite	[ ]	Demonic Smite	[ ][ ][ ]	
AC	20	Bastion		[ ]	Lay on Hands	[ ][ ]
PD	13	Curse of Chaos	[ ]	Dragon-blessed Shield of Recovery (11+) [ ]
MD	14
Rec.	8/8 (1d10+2)

Temporary Effects	Effect		Duration
None.

Items
Healing Potion {Standard action: Recovery + 1d8 hp (does not heal beyond 30hp)}
Dragon-blessed Shield of Recovery {+4 HP; Basic melee attack: Heal using a recovery. (recharge 11+)}

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Charles's decree is met with a solid, and heartfelt shout of approval from the assembled guards, and even some of the wizards. Varis stands ready by the stairs, his unit surrounding him and ready to act. A sly smile spreads across his handsome face.

"I have to say, when I got sent here... I didn't expect I'd ever be fighting a dragon! Amelia's orders are that we're to clear a path through the ground floor and let you out the front door. There's lizards and kobolds and all kinds of scaley beasties down there and my job is to make sure you can take out their bitch mother! We'll keep the bipeds busy, you take out the dragon. If I get a chance or it looks like things are going badly, I'll come out and lend some assistance. Good luck!"

He ruffles a younger soldiers hair, slaps a female guard on the back, then draws his sword and barks an "OOOHWA". The unit respond in kind and then the great doors are thrown open and they charge. The sounds of battle echo around the ground floor and up through the stairwell. Orders are shouted and cries of pain - human and otherwise, ring clearly.

There is a sound like whips cracking, and then a bright light shines up from below. Looks like the dragon has breathed a stream of lightning directly into the tower. You best act quickly.

Roll initiative....

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Louise leaps down the stairs, taking several steps with each stride. As she reaches the ground floor an unlucky kobold gets in her way, it is easily sent flying off to the side with the momentum she has behind her shield. She halts as she exits the tower, gazing at the massive dragon standing before her.

Initiative Roll: 1d20 9 Yes, that's the three out of three initiative rolls which have yielded the same result: 9

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan feels the electricity in the air as the dragon thrashes around outside. He can scarcely believe how fast he's running towards it, considering the danger. There was no denying it; after this, they'd all be on the Three's Most Wanted list. Still he wonders...maybe they could salvage some choice bits from the beast for equipment. Or just some fancy boots.

Initiative: 2#1d20+4 8 18

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion's blood was up, heart pounding. His sword felt like it was quivering in his hand.
"I say, this is pretty exciting, isn't it?" He says to no one in particular. He hopes his spells end up being useful in this fight.

Initiative: 1d20+1 13

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

Charles flies (falls? it's hard to tell) down the stairs, batting aside the occasional kobold. "Let's get this thing a'started!"

Initiative: 2#1d20+1-1 11 19 Well look at that.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The lower floor of the tower is a skirmish of blue lizardlings, and armored guards. Bodies of both litter the floor. As you slip through the cleared path in the room, you finally get the full sense of the dragon. Her eyes are more than glowing, they dance with animated lightning. Her teeth are long and thick, like those of a shark, and her scales are beautiful and radiant. From the gash she has torn from the wall, she watches the party charge, then scuttles back to the doorway as they burst through.

"Who dares to stand against she who rides the storm?" a deep, hissing voice roars. Her breath smells of damp grass and melting plastic. "When you reach your afterlife, warn them that Ixillis of the Storm, sends many more to follow you!"

She takes a deep breath, gathering static energy from the very air to congregate at the tip of her beak. Then her eyes bulge and the lightning dissipates harmlessly as she is racked with deep, guttural coughing. Blood splatters the ground and you notice just how bad her injuries are. One wing, all but obliterated. One flank descaled and torn to shreds.

I spoke to Alouicious and he's decided to withdraw from the game. Citra goes on ice for now. Ixillis rolls badly, so you're all up! For the purpose of triggering moves, she is already staggered.

Initiative
19 - Charles Aldebraun - HP 27/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14
18 - Rowan Hawthorn - HP 27/27, AC 13, PD 11, MD 15
13 - Denarion Verdefen - HP 24/24, AC 13, PD 12, MD 14
9 - Louise Septienne - HP 30/30, AC 20, PD 13, MD 14

8 - Ixillis - HP 120/120, AC 18, PD 16, MD 16 STAGGERED
0 - Escalation Dice

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

"Such talk! And when you rot in the seven hells, tell those that come after that it was Denarion Verdefen that took your wing!"

Denarion has been prepping a spell ever since they exited the tower, and as the great blue dragon coughs and heaves from its terrible wounds, the Half-Orc sees an opportunity. He sends a familiar looking arrowhead sizzling forward, straight into the dragon's open mouth! Whatever wounds she had already, it was nothing compared to the acidic damage now being wrought upon her insides.

"Hah! I've been hoping to do that all day."
On his back, the lute is out again and Denarion's strange servitor is playing a tune, this one far more wild in tone. At the moment, only Denarion seems affected, much more alert and quick than he is normally. Hopefully the added reflexes would help him stay safe.

Quick Action: Song of Spilt Blood! Any attack against me takes a penalty equal to the number of allies with more hp than me, so -2 right now.
What the hell, Acid Arrow vs PD: 1d20+4 24 4d10 14 Crit! Ixillis takes 28 acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage on top! Ah well, that's what you get with spells with tons of dice.
Staying put.

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

HP	24/24	Lethal		[ ]	Song of Spilt Blood [X]	
Rec.	8/8	Pull it Tog.	[ ][ ]	Soundburst	[ ]
AC	13	Cantrips 	[ ][ ]	Acid Arrow	[X]
PD	12
MD	14
-2 to all attacks against me
Healing Potion

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Nice shot, my boy! Now let's see if I can't follow up on your act!" Like before, Charles's eyes spark. But this time the light seems to dance over his armor as well, and a wave of light engulfs the dragon in a flash.

When it fades, the dragon doesn't seem any more hurt than it was before, but it is clearly on the back foot claw, and the bits of light that linger around our heroes tells them that now is the time to strike.

Bless! Using protection domain ability to target up to 5 people*, plus 1 to all attack rolls this fight!
Invocation of War! Increase the Escalation Die by one!
Fumble! An attempt to hit the dragon with my Javelin of Faith. No damage.
Laser the dragon: 1d20+4+1+1 7

*(us four plus some scrub soldier if there is one fighting a kobold or whatever nearby)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Good! The beast was already severely injured, but where are you even supposed to attack a dragon? That long neck seems tantalizing.

"You call this a storm? The downpour will be nothing compared to how much we'll make you bleed!"

Louise charges forwards as the spells start flying over her head, her blade held low at her left leg. Just as she is about to strike the dragon with an upward slash she is blinded by the flash of light, and she fails to notice Ixillis reeling back from the savage acid arrow.
Her blade falls short and only grazes the thick scales of the dragon. She quickly tries to regain balance and moves her shield forward.

Demonic Smite: 1d20+11 16 Miss! for (1d8+1d12+4)/2 6 Damage

Only use bastion if someone suffers a nasty critical hit or would be knocked out.

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	34/34	Demonic Smite	[X]	Demonic Smite	[ ][ ][ ]	
AC	20	Bastion		[ ]	Lay on Hands	[ ][ ]
MD	14
Rec.	8/8 (1d10+2)

Bless			+1 Attack	End of Battle

Items
Dragon-blessed Shield of Recovery {+4 HP; Basic melee attack: Heal using a recovery. (recharge 11+)}

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan follow's Denarion's blast of acid with one of his own. "I see you've been studying hard! Following me around, you were sure to pick up some pointers." The arrow strikes the dragon cleanly in the chest as it rears back, scoring away patches of scales. This was going far too smoothly, though. Rowan uses some of the leftover energy from his spell to form a brittle shield in front of him. Perhaps it would save his life when the beast retaliated.

Acid Arrow Attack: 1d20+7 16 HIT (barely)
Acid Arrow Damage: 4d10 33, and 5 ongoing Acid Damage

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

HP	18/18	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow(2)  [x][ ]	
AC	13(17)	        	                Blur(1)        [ ]

Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Items: Healing Potion: Standard action: Recovery + 1d8 hp, does not heal beyond 30hp. 
Glazenthorg the Bloody - totally not a cursed sword.

Buffs: Abjuration - +4 to AC until my next turn
Bless: +1 to attack rolls

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Thick green smoke begins pouring from Ixillis's throat. A few moments later, thinner plumes can be seen seeping from the gash in her flank. Before she can even truly recover, a second arrow bursts against her side, sheering scales from the sticky flesh beneath, and bringing a roar that seems to issue from the skies above.

As Charles casts his blessings, a single mote of golden light takes to the air and floats quickly into the nearby woodlands. There is little time to comprehend what might be sapping the magic away, but it is still something of note.

The blue dragon glares down at Louise ominously, the short stubby horns in her chin crackling with static. Thunder roars in the sky overhead.

Its jaws unhinge like those of a great snake and lightning once more begins to gather at the end of its mouth. The air is thick and hot as it extends its neck and blasts a stream of lightning. Its sweep of the area is halted before it begins as a jet of blood pours from its flank and its burst of lightning breath is reduced to wet wheezing. Only Louise is caught in the strike, but her body is wrecked by it. As the fight slips into its next phase, Ixillis seems empowered by the flow of battle.

Suddenly a figure bursts from the nearby forest - the same stretch of forest in to which the mote of light vanished. Long white hair frames a face that manages to be both dark and ashen at the same time. His robes flow freely in the wind as he is shielded by Charles's spell.

Ixillis takes 10 ongoing.
Lightning breath, number of targets: 1
Lightning breath Vs Louise PD HIT! 15 lightning damage.
Ixillis fails both saves.
Celeanor rolls an 18 for initiative! (Everyone welcome Celeanor)

Louis is engaged. Nobody else is.

Initiative
19 - Charles Aldebraun - HP 27/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14
18 - Rowan Hawthorn - HP 18/18, AC 13(17UEONT), PD 11, MD 15
18 - Celeanor - HP 24/24, AC 13, PD 14, MD 12
13 - Denarion Verdefen - HP 24/24, AC 13, PD 12, MD 14
9 - Louise Septienne - HP 19/34, AC 20, PD 13, MD 14

8 - Ixillis - HP 45/120, AC 18, PD 16, MD 16 STAGGERED Ongoing 10 acid!
+2 Escalation Dice

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Fool dragon, now is when you should be running home to the Three, not getting even more worked up!" Charles calls at the beast, circling around to its ruined flank. "We've even got elves coming out of the woodwork for you!"

His mace glows bright as he swings for the fuming scales. The blows doesn't do much more damage, but the light flows through and bursts out from the beast, dousing Louise as it pours from its maw.

Everyone gets plus one to attacks on the dragon! (On top of the bonus from Bless)
Louise can spend a recovery.
Miss with the mace! 1 damage.
Mace at the dragon: 1d20+3+2+1 12

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

"Denarion, you bastard. You took all the fight out of the dragon before we even got started!" Rowan is caught up in the flow of battle. His heart is pounding. The dragon wouldn't have given them any breaks, if it had the chance.

He pulls a dense black stone from his cloak. His hands go white as they touch it, for it is completely ice-cold! Drawing energy into his hands, he thrusts his palms forward, launching a frigid beam directly at the dragon's skull!

Ray of Frost Attack(+8 vs pd: 1d20+8 25+1=26
Ray of Frost Damage: 3d6 11

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

HP	18/18	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow(2)  [x][ ]	
AC	13        	                        Blur(1)        [ ]

Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Glazenthorg the Bloody - totally not a cursed sword.

Buffs: Bless: +1 to attack rolls
Uhhh another +1?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Louise is painfully struck by the devastating attack, her muscles contract violently rendering her unable to even scream as the lightning effortlessly passes through her shield and plate armor. As she is knocked down on her knees she tries to draw on the powers within her but finds only the void. She stumbles up on her feet and makes a futile attempt at lashing out against the dragon but is unable to use her sword arm.

Demonic Smite: 1d20+12 13 Critical Miss! for No damage whatsoever!

This wasn't good, the dragon is teetering on the edge of life, and suddenly so is she. Louise feels something warm fill her mouth, she had bitten her tounge quite badly. She spits at Ixillis and then with grim determination she declares. "You're not going to drag me with you to wherever you overgrown lizards go when you die."
She makes another attempt at accessing the demonic energies but this time she smashes through the void, drawing upon the power to invigorate herself. A wave mixed with pain and heat runs through her body, her muscles finally responds and she faces the dragon in defiance.

Lay on Hands: 1d10+2 12 HP Recovered.

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	31/34	Demonic Smite	[X]	Demonic Smite	[ ][ ][ ]	
AC	20	Bastion		[ ]	Lay on Hands	[X][ ]
MD	14
Rec.	7/8 (1d10+2)

Items

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion chuckles.
"After you unceremoniously dissolved those kobolds, how could I resist? That smell will follow me for days!"

Still, Denarion is nearly out of magical power for the day. And this dark elf... Denarion can only spare a moment to look at the stranger, but he seems familiar.
But that can wait, Denarion joins the fray, sword in hand! His strike is true, but it doesn't do much but add another gash in Ixillis' side. It's enough of a distraction to give his allies an opportunity though.

Sustain song: 1d20 6 success! Still at -2 to attacks, I don't think ties count.
Lemme check, we have +2 from escalation, and another +2 from Charles?
Move to engage the dragon!
Sword attack vs AC: 1d20+9 19 hit, 1d8+4 5 damage
Even roll... Charles may make a free disengage check if he would prefer not being in claw distance of a dragon! Or Celeanor can get in melee if that's his thing.

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

HP	24/24	Lethal		[ ]	Song of Spilt Blood [X]	
Rec.	8/8	Pull it Tog.	[ ][ ]	Soundburst	[ ]
AC	13	Cantrips 	[ ][ ]	Acid Arrow	[X]
PD	12
MD	14
-2 to all attacks against me
Healing Potion

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

"What on earth is- oh," says the dark elf, momentarily caught off guard.

Momentarily.

Then his eyes narrow, and he takes a deep breath. He'd say something witty like "see how you like it," or "Feel the true power of dragons" but his lungs are temporarily occupied with a blast of freezing air that blows over the dragon like the world's worst cold front.

When the vapor clears, there is a very frozen dragon.

Then the acid kicks back in...

Breath of the White: 1d20+5 24
Damage: 3d6+4 19

pre:
Celeanor

HP	24/24	Cruel	[ ]	       Breath of the White][X]	
AC	13	                       Lightning Fork[X]
PD	14	
MD	12
Rec.	8/8 (1d6+2)

Items

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Ixillis of the Storm howls in anger and agony as she is struck. The blast of light fires from her mouth and her face is struck with a beam of ice that crystalizes over her scales. She shakes her head back and forth, then shatters the crystals against the ground.

Louise and Denarion dash in with varied success, but the power of the dragon is rising visibly. Small sparks appear at the ground and crackle like tiny fireworks into the air. Ixillis herself seems to glow with a power that is beautiful and natural, yet terrifying. The lightning that forms her eyes grows brighter and larger until half of her face is obscured in the light. Scales flake off and crisp to ashes as they hit the ground.

A blast of freezing air strikes her and she stumbles. The acid filling her lungs and stomach bubbles and hisses away. Something internal ruptures and the path is flooded with various steaming liquids. Ixillis lunges forward with the last of her strength, slashing madly at Louise, then Charles.

The tiefling dodges the first swing of its claws, only realising too late that her mouth is swooping down. Thick dragon teeth pierce Louise's armor and flesh, lifting her into the air then slamming her back into the ground. She turns on the spot, slips in the puddle of her insides, and swipes wide at Charles. Once again, Ixillis dives and catches her prey in her maw, slamming the old man against the ground with a violent burst of sparks.

She takes a step forward, falters, collapses to one knee, and then keels over. The lightning in her eyes slowly fades, then there is a single bright flash of light and her body is blown to pieces by a bolt of lightning from above. Scraps of charred flesh and bone litter the area before being scattered by the winds. Only the pool of melted flesh remains, still steaming in the chill air.

Claw attack Vs Louise AC Miss!
Bite attack Vs Louise AC Hit! 10 damage + 6 lightning damage!
Claw attack Vs Charles AC Miss!
Bite attack Vs Charles AC Hit! 10 damage + 2 lightning damage!
Ixillis takes ongoing acid damage and dies!

The sounds of battle from inside the tower continue, but seem to be fading, and the grunts of pain are decidedly more lizard than human now. Varis appears at the doorway, a cut down one cheek, and his hair matted with gore. He smiles wearily, then freezes at the sight of Celeanor.

"Drow..." he says carefully. "Friendly dark elves are rarely seen so close to the tower... but if these heroes are not attacking you then I trust you mean no harm. Welcome to Boltstrike. The old coot Hobbs has been scrying. He says that the traitor, spy, whatever, is on the very top of the pillar. Climbing the tower itself would take hours, and the mons... anomalies... inside would be death for even you. Fortunately, Hobbs has managed to open another portal."

"Yes, yes, yes, I have!" the old wizard blusters as he stumbles through the open door. His wooden staff clicks against the stones as he hurries forward. "Well done, excellent job on the wounded dragon, she never stood a chance."

He splays his fingers and mutters a short arcane chant. Before you, a shimmering portal opens in mid-air. Its surface is reflective, giving it the impression of a floating mirror.

"Now, hurry! Through the gate to the top of the tower. Stop whatever is happening there before they somehow rip Boltstrike Pillar from its very foundations... then we would be in a terrible mess... quickly!"

Good job adventurers. Onwards and upwards. Remember that if you are below half HP you MUST heal, and the rest of you have the option.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

From bad to worse, Louise is knocked onto her back from the impact, her armor showing several brutal holes where the dragon had clamped down. As she is lying on the ground she sees Ixillis slump to the ground. "Heh... Seems like I outlasted you." Before she attempts to stand up she gathers her strength and her wounds close rapidly. The exertion is beginning to take it's toll, she feels decidedly much more weary than before.

Recovery: 1d10+2 7 HP Recovered.
Recovery: 1d10+2 3 HP Recovered.
Recovery: 1d10+2 10 HP Recovered.

The sudden explosion of the dragon jolts her fully awake and she rises to her feet just as Varis begins to talk.
A dark elf? She looks around and spots him. Where had he come from and why was he here?... Details would have to wait, the day was not won yet. "You sure showed up in the nick of time. Do you care to help us with stopping the entire area from ripping itself apart?"

"Let's go." She bites down in determination and walks to the portal. Once more unto the breach.

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	34/34	Demonic Smite	[X]	Demonic Smite	[X][ ][ ]	
AC	20	Bastion		[ ]	Lay on Hands	[X][ ]
MD	14
Rec.	4/8 (1d10+2)

None.

Items

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

As Louise passes into the portal something changes. The party feel themselves urged on by the confidence of their defeat of the dragon. They feel stronger for it.

Everyone level up to level 2!!!!

Now, tell a story about how fighting the dragon taught you what you learned, or a memory of the past which inspired your improvement!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Dragons, I say dragons never can take a loss gracefully." Charles picks himself up and brushes off the dirt and goo as best he can. "Nice magicking there, son. Looks like we've got some more work to do upstairs though." He sighs. "Clean-up never was my strong suit, but into the breach again, I reckon. Feel free to join us, Pointy; the more the merrier, I always say. Well, no I guess I don't always say that, but it's true enough anyway. Never can have too many helping hands. Unless you're in the kitchen? Or deciding something by committee, now that can get out of hand right quick, why, when I was on the Planning Board for my Borough a few years back..."

The dragon's remains continue to sizzle and smolder.

Short rest happens I guess? Using 3 recoveries (only rolled the first two, the last gets to me full on a 1).
Dustin' myself off: 2#1d8+2 7 3

pre:
Charles Aldebraun

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily
HP	27/27	Heal		[ ][ ]	Bless	 	[X]	
Rec.	5/8	War Buddies	[ ]	Shield of Faith	[ ]
AC	18	Domain (Pro.)	[ ]	Invoke (Pro.)	[ ]
PD	14				Invoke (Lead.)  [X]
MD	14				Invoke (Sun)    [ ]

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Louise is in deep thought as she marches on, the world is a muffled haze around her.

The demonic power that she had relied on, the essence bestowed upon her at birth, the force that saw her escape Hellmarsh and survive the world... It had become increasingly unreliable after they had broken the altar. While she could still grasp it by focusing intently, it seems like it doesn't come as willingly as before. Now it had failed her when she needed it the most, just as she was staring down a cornered dragon. Ixillis of the Storm had severely damaged her body, she could feel that her strength had been diminished. How could she hope to ever accomplish her goals if she has become weaker? Did death await her on the other side of the portal?

Louise thinks back to the grisly battle in the forest outside of Greenstand. She had put her powers aside and trusted in her instinct and martial training when she beheaded the hell out of that Lizardman. That is the answer! While she had gone through the military drills back in First Triumph she had never put much weight in them, they just did not compare to what she was able to do innately. But her training had taken hold after all, she had been a fool to ignore it. If she could combine that pure martial skill with her infernal energies then she would be nigh unstoppable!

As she steps through the portal she vividly remembers her lessons. She remembers all those tons of black steel dancing a lethal waltz on the sunlit sparring grounds accompanied by the clang of metal striking metal. Let's see if this spy can keep up with the tempo of war.

Louise is now a level 2 Paladin/Fighter!
pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	44/44	[ ] Demonic Smite	[X][ ][ ] Demonic Smite	
AC	22	[ ] Bastion		[ ] Glazenthorg the Bloody (11+) 
PD	14	[ ] Curse of Chaos	[ ] Dragon-blessed Shield of Recovery (11+)
MD	16	
Rec.	6/10 (2d10+2)

Passive Effects
Threatening: Enemies get -2 to disengage checks from Louise.

None.

Items
Healing Potion 
	{Standard action: Recovery + 1d8 hp (does not heal beyond 30hp)}
Dragon-blessed Shield of Recovery 
	{+4 HP; Basic melee attack: Heal using a recovery. (recharge 11+)}
Glazenthorg the Bloody
	{Extra melee attack when staggering or dropping foe (recharge 11+)}

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan exhales heavily, his breath misting in the chilled air surrounding the group. They'd done it! They'd felled a dragon! Oh dear Archmage, they'd killed a dragon!

The Three would be furious. They were all in so much trouble...

He looks back at the smoldering form of the dragon. It was a miracle that they had all gotten off as lightly as they did. Rowan recalls that elder dragons often have scales like finely crafted armor, without a single gap. It was a miracle that he had been able to strike what weak points could be found on this smaller specimen, especially with the others flailing away in front of the drat thing. Going forward, he would have to show more care with where he threw his spells. It wouldn't do to tag one of them in the back accidentally; there was enough danger from the front.

As he steps through the portal, he makes a mental note to keep an eye on Louise. He is confident that she can handle the influence of the sword, but...magical items could be very insidious, if their owner didn't take care. Still, for the time being, it didn't make any sense to let a powerful weapon like that go to waste.

"Newcomer, you're welcome to join us, if you don't mind pulling your weight. I don't see that as a problem, though."

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

HP	24/24	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow(2)  [x][ ]	
AC	14            Shocking Grasp(1)         Blur(1)        [ ]
PD	13            
MD	16            Per Battle/Cyclic:
                      Counter-Magic (free reaction) [ ]

Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

I took Precise Shot! No chance of Rowan hitting one of you with an acid arrow now (I don't think it's ever come up yet). Updated my sheet in the other thread.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

"What, exactly, am I joining? I came here because I was asked to deal with 'strange goings-on' at the tower-" Celeanor's tone implies the eye-roll so he doesn't have to spend the effort- "and then the Queen asked for me for a moment so I was delayed. What on earth is happening here?"

If only he'd been able to arrive sooner, muses Celeanor. Perhaps he could have spared someone some pain. Well, gathering strength takes time. Might as well make it count...

pre:
Celeanor

HP	32/32	Cruel	[ ]	       Breath of the White][X]	
AC	14	                       Lightning Fork[ ]
PD	15	
MD	13
Rec.	8/8 (1d6+2)

Items

Gather Power feat taken. If you're going to be late, make it count.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

"If it's strange goings-on you're here for, you're in good company. The name's Rowan Hawthorn. Professor, Barleydale Ontological Academy of Thaumaturgy. "

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Riding the portal is disorientating, and you can hear Hobbs grunting with the strain of keeping it open. As you slip through the other side, you find yourself stepping onto smooth, solid rock. The peak of the tower is not entirely flat, but its surface is easy enough to walk across. In the centre of the peak, standing below the ring of silver fire, stands a figure in blue robes. Arcane symbols glow in the fabric, which he wears over the top of a Boltstrike Pillar guard uniform. Around him lay the bodies of several corpses, not of guards, but of forest creatures and what look like random villagers. You notice that one of the bodies is the tattoo covered wizard who was trying to get into the pillar the day before.

Louise, as a flash of lightning breaks in the clouds, you recognize the man as Reed.

Around the corpses there is a pentagram of blood, drawn over a glowing blue rod that appears to be the very centre of the pillar. The top of the rod is several feet in diameter and as you watch, it twitches, as if being drawn up through the inside of the tower. Reed raises his arms and mumbles something, sending bolts of electricity shooting through the blood in the pentagram.

It is only then that you notice the lizardmen. Two of them are huge and monstrous, as tall and broad as orcs with long, crocodillian snouts. They each carry wooden clubs, pierced through the top with dragon teeth. The other three are smaller and frailer, but they are wearing robes similar to Reed, and necklaces of various cheap gems hang around their necks. They appear to be involved in whatever ritual is being performed here in some way.

"I don't know who you are... or how you got here.... but you're too late!" Reed cries over the howling wind. "The ritual is all but complete, and even without finishing it, the damage done is irreparable. This tower, and all its magics, are now property of The Blue."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

Celeanor raises an eyebrow (he'll be doing this a lot.) "Really? As you may be able to tell, I am a sorcerer of some skill myself, and I have no idea why the Blue would want this stone scrapheap. It's just a liability! Care to explain? I doubt they'd be happy with you back home if you just usurped this stupid tower for no good reason."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

"Reed?" Louise stares in bewilderment at the traitor, it hadn't been long since she had been sitting at his table enjoying some damned root vegetables. And she had given him an extensive description of their mission to Greenstand. Oh she's mad now.
"You rotten two-faced son of a newt! You are in deep, serious trouble now. I'll give you but one chance to surrender for interrogation before I rip you to pieces! And you can believe my words, we made your dragon friend bleed a hell of a lot."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Scrapheap?! You know NOTHING!" His hands weave quickly through the air above the pentagram, summoning sparks from below. They reach up and manacle his hands for a second, then sink back into the ground. The howling wind picks up, but the air is now thick and heavy and warm. "The arcane powers held within this edifice have lay untapped for Ages. The raw power here is beyond arcane - it is the barely caged energies of the very planet! The pillar is a cork in the earth and the pressure has been building for a very long time! Now it shall belong to The Blue!"

At Louise's words, the blue mage raises his head in suprise.

"Ixillis is slain?" His lips part in a thin smile and a mania consumes his eyes. "You lie! I do not believe you!"

It's difficult to tell his motives, but you get the impression that Reed is stalling.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

"Wait, Miss... what was your name? This fellow is a traitor and betrayer?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

"Louise. Further introductions can wait. This scaly bastard sat down in the dining room in a guard uniform not long ago."

She returns to face Reed. "Do you think I enjoy walking around with this gunk on my armor?! Ixillis is dead!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

Celeanor wrinkles his nose. "Hrm. Can't abide that sort of nonsense." He rolls up his sleeves. "One thing I've learned over the years is there's no point in arguing with fanatics. Shall we, gentlemen and ladies?"

Initiative: 1d20+5 13

• Locked thread