Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Klezmer. I'm so sick of hearing klezmer in songs. Yeah, we get it, Kanye and Nicki Minaj have both transformed popular music through their brilliant use of klezmer, but can we just stop? Please? I swear if I hear another club track built around a klezmer beat on the radio I am going to scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dear black people: Please stop rapping about Ireland, and how you want to return to your Irish homeland, and the rolling green hills of Ireland. Also, can we just stop having pennywhistle in hip-hop? Thanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Heath posted:

Do you have an example of what this is
This should help.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

those are words, not sounds. i cant hear words wtf
Uhhhhhhhhhh what about poetry, idiot?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Arcade Fire: [20-minute instrumental track about human rights abuses in Myanmar]
Me: "gently caress off, MRA PUAs."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rapman the Cook posted:

Standard tuning.
Tuned instruments of any kind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

qntm posted:

When people rhyme "night" with "light"
Other rhymes I hate in music:

egg/leg

peanut/seen it

bat/cat -- Lorde uses this one all the time and I hate it

orange/duck l'orange

intangible/indisputable

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chuck Berry: "Wow, I sure can't wait to use all these pentatonic scales and ruin music forever!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

boethius posted:

Come up into the club, squeak that doorhinge
Have a dope rear end meal – duck 'l orange
Plan my UK trip, wanna visit stonehenge
Have sex with fruit, gonna gently caress an orange.
Ugh, klezmer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I swear to god if I hear another remix of Greensleeves on the radio I am going to scream.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dear Modest Mouse band members: Please stop running out from behind trees or bushes to yell things at me. Please don't do it. It scares me, and I don't like it. Please stop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just once I want to turn on the radio and not hear John Philip Sousa marches.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ball Cupper posted:

I know it's hip to have post-modern interpretations of the nature of man in music nowadays, but does there have to be all that loving Mongolian chanting?
This is going to keep happening as long as all our popular music comes out of Mongolia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

comes along bort posted:

especially in gospel
*air horn blast* H-h-h-h-halleluuuujaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can we, collectively, please stop writing songs about the untimely death of William Henry Harrison?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm sick of all these bands writing songs mocking me personally who pretend like they've never heard of me when I write them angry letters.
Ooooh, so you're the guy from all the songs. That makes sense now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm sick of microphones, amplification, and recording equipment of any kind. It's unnatural.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Literal Carehaver posted:

"yeeeah" as a part of lyrics
I wish the singer from the Offspring would stop sneaking into the studio to shout "Woaaah, yeaaah!" on other people's songs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

everything except klezmer
Please don't appropriate traditional Jewish culture.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Words that should be banned in music: sparkle, aggressive, cling, pulley, investigate, pork.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Idiot Kicker posted:

Taylor Swift is the biggest cliche in music
Actually it's songs about men named Bort dying in bicycle accidents.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

Trying too hard.
Not quite hip.
I'm losing my edge to better posters with better ideas and more talent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[in Gauntlet voice]: Poster... GOT the joke!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

You chop those carrots and you soak those beans
Then roast that chicken at four hundred degrees

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robbie Fowler posted:

Anything from Mumford and Sons
Seriously, I thought rap metal died in the 90s. What, four South Africans combine rap metal with easy-listening muzak and suddenly it's 'cool" again?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If I hear another DJ remix "Peaches" by the Presidents of the United States I am going to lose it. I am literally going to lose it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just because it's trendy to be Zoroastrian doesn't mean every song has to be about Ahura Mazda.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iggy Koopa posted:

every post by factsareuseless in this thread has been fantastic
I couldn't have done it without the help of people not getting the joke and resolutely posting things that bother them in popular music. Thank you all so much, the joylessness that affects every moment of your lives has brought us so much.

Edit: I'd also like to thank the people who do get jokes, and make them, for being cool and good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

boethius posted:

Too many cadenzas.

Also, when the artist adds an ironic awards acceptance speech during the outro.
I'll never forget Liz Phair crying "you like me, you really like me!" at the end of gently caress and Run.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

boethius posted:

I know, right! Still, I'm glad they used this song in the most recent Chipmunks movie.
It will be remembered as one of the greatest growing-up montages in film history.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wish Donald Glover would stop writing songs about Weird Twitter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, we get it. You're from California. But could you please stop putting the words "close the borders" in all your songs?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ever since Talking Heads got big again, everyone thinks it's cool to be autistic. The big suit man might seem cool, but let me tell you: he's not.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Things I want more of: principles of graphic design explained in songs.

Things I want less of: fake record sleeves full of HIV-infected blood that sprays out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Twitch posted:

I'm not even fakeposting here, whenever I hear current top 40 country music it just sounds like a robot coldly saying offensive things about poor white people over variations on the Meow Mix song.

I may have already stated this in another thread, but I work in a retail store by some music displays and some of this poo poo is rancid. Lady Antebellum makes Nicki Minaj look like Mozart.

edit: And just so no one accuses me of just hating country, I'm fine with like Kenny Rogers or Johnny Cash, or the Convoy dude, and those bands that are just a dude going apeshit on a violin.
Hahaha, yeah, these are not the posts we are all making fun of.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

guest verses from senate majority leader mitch mcconnell. he's not even good at rap, i dont get it.
People try to kick him out of the studio but he looks so sad...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Black Nerdcore?" I wasn't aware Donald Glover was that obscure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm tired of the beating of his horrible heart.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm tired of that one Zammuto track everyone keeps sampling, you know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

To the musician driving the white Acura: Your lights are on. Also, please stop making songs about how the Bitterroot Mountains are beautiful and the Rockies are overrated. This is not a rivalry that is relevant to most of America, and the batteries in your car are going to die. Please handle these two situations.

• Locked thread