Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher
I think probably Bruce Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah but I heard an unsourced quote from an internet person that Lee could kick faster than the eye could see. That seems like a pretty legit advantage.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RxpsS639I

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Slow, dumb dude.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Phoon posted:

mike tyson probably punches faster but bruce lee knew a better variety of martial arts whereas tyson can basically just do the one thing so i think lee would win

Agreed.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Lee said boxers were dangerous since they just focused on knocking people the gently caress out. My money is still on Lee though.

I'm sort of channeling a thread from like three or four years ago, in which someone said that a blow to the head hurts, no matter who you are. Mike Tyson, thousandTime Heavyweight Champion of the World, would be totally useless if you got kicking involved.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

In a boxing match or just fighting however you can

It would be unfair to Lee to just make it a straight up boxing match. Let's say it's no holds barred.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Torka posted:

how many real full contact fights was bruce lee actually in

Someone posted a video once that had him in a martial arts tourney or something. I seem to remember him doing okay.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Amateur Saboteur posted:

don't kicks leave you extremely overextended and vurnerable also?

If you're a loving pussy, maybe.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Torka posted:

so eye gouging and wound hooking etc. are allowed? that'd be pretty horrible to watch

I think probably now that we're in the year 2015 we can't really be squeamish about our blood sports. We all know that those dudes are going to be retarded for life so wgaf?

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

bruce lee was a martial arts master. he did some acting but it wasn't his main thing.

Agreed.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

So, they'll be posting on this site within a year or two

Probably not. For the privilege of getting retarded they also earn millions of dollars so hopefully they'll die of an overdose or from super hooker aids or whatever.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yes, according to one of Bruce Lee's books.

Bruce Lee emphasized the importance of punching over kicking as it doesn't put you as off balance and allows you to more quickly strike and maneuver.

I don't really understand, then. It's clear to me that Bruce Lee would beat Mike Tyson in a NHB throwdown. But if your're just keeping things to punching then it seems like Tyson would have a clear advantage.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Well, Bruce Lee is dead and Tyson isn't so I guess Tyson wins by default.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

johnny sack posted:

How though? Some martial art move that breaks Tyson's leg before he punches Lee or what?

This is serious debate btw.

Probably. I'm not a loving karate master, man. I'm just saying that a little guy with pluck and slick moves could easily beat Mike Tyson, who sucks.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Torka posted:

yeah if it was sport fighting rules (no eyes, balls etc.) I'd say tyson but if you're allowing them to do any hosed up poo poo they want I'm not sure

What hosed up poo poo do you think Bruce Lee could have done to "Iron" Mike Tyson?

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

could bruce lee and mike tyson in their prime, if they teamed up, win against a gorilla? i think they could

Did you ever see "congo" remember that scene where the gorilla does the double fisted headsmash move?

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Torka posted:

grabbed and ripped off his balls like a chimp or stuck his fingers in his eyes, there's a lot of crazy poo poo you can do if there are no rules

I don't know, man. If there are no rules, i'm kind of concerned that Mike Tyson might think of similarly hosed up poo poo to do to Bruce Lee.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

itsgotmetoo posted:

it would be a lot easier for mike tyson to rip off bruce lees balls than vice versa

Racist.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

I am 100% positive that unless they were in an elevator or something Lee could run away effectively. Trying to use guile to make up for 70 pounds of muscle would probably not work out too well.

We're talking about a fight, bitch. Not a track meet.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

mr.capps posted:

Look all I am saying is after a while they would be saying Bruised Knees instead of Bruce Lee after what Tyson would do to him

:eng101: You can't actually punch people in the knees in boxing.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

mr.capps posted:

All I am going to say, about this theoretical bout, is that they would say Mike Tyson should work for Tyson Foods, because he turned Bruce Lee into a Tyson Chicken.

Now that is all I am going to say.

Thank god.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Torka posted:

just to make this hypothetical even dumber can we say that whoever wins has to fight an alpha silverback afterwards

Bruce Lee would easily win with Kung Fu magic, and because asians don't have buttholes.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

goons are retarded if they lived in biblical times theyd be betting on goliath because bigger = always better hurr

Well, when you're in a fight, without technological interference, that's usually the case. Unless you have sick loving Karate training like Bruce Lee.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

I saw Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story so I know that if the battle took a supernatural turn that Bruce Lee would be more at home.

Racist.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

This was settled more then a decade ago when people of this very forum started quoting from the art of jeet kune do to prove that Bruce Lee believed in cheating like a mother fucker and would just run Mike Tyson over with a truck.

"A hypothetical was settled by people on this very forum. "

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

mr.capps posted:

really though ali would beat both, i mean ali even beat superman

I would kick Ali's rear end so hard (in his current state).

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

One of Bruce Lee's actual fights got him to emphasize cardio training and endurance because the guy he was fighting ran away like a bitch and Bruce had to spend an extra five minutes running him down to beat his rear end instead of settling things in under a minute like he preferred.

Fun fact: Bruce Lee once hit Jackie Chan in the face during enter the dragon, and Bruce Lee got really concerned that he hurt him, then Jackie Chan cried like a bitch... because he wanted an excuse to spend more time hanging around Bruce.

Well, that settles it. Bruce Lee is clearly the better fighter. You can all stop blowing Mike Tyson.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

dang I was gonna post this

whole thread has already been settled by ip man 2. bruce lee wins because he's fast as gently caress

I liked this movie. But I don't know, man. Tyson was way faster and more aggressive than rando dude v karate man.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

for real in the movie where bruce lee fights chuck norris he kicks chuck in the face like 5 times within a second that poo poo is crazy I don't care how little he is

Another thing that happened in movies is that Keanu Reeves punched god in the face. Don't be childish man human beings have limits.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I like to think Bruce and Mike would settle whatever difference they had with their words like mature adults.

I mean obviously that would be ideal. I was just saying that hypothetically if they had to fight each other professionally.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If Tyson could close the distance and get within his strike range it'd be brutal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXHJempvayI Bruce Lee is too maneuverable and experienced to let that happen though.

Surely thousandTime World Champion boxer Mike Tyson never met another quick, experienced fighter.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Mine was a hypothetical too because Tyson has a lot of trouble using his words in everyday situations let alone conflict resolution.

LOL. Getting punched in the face hurts. Not just in the immediate sense, but it rattles your brain around, probably enough to make you mistake the concepts of rape and love.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

keanu reeves is a bullshit computer enhanced kung fu man while bruce lee did all his own moves and slowed some of them down so the lovely 1970's cameras could actually see what the hell he was doing. he real fast

Mike Tyson was also real fast. Unless you're suggesting that Bruce Lee had special limb muscles that made him able to punch or kick faster than the eye could see, STFU, gaywad. Let's keep this rational.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Torka posted:

this thread made me realize I've never been punched really hard in the face, I wonder what that feels like

It loving blows, dog. Don't even try it.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Tyson would DESTROY Bruce Lee.

Racist.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Torka posted:

you're a prison guard right? I think I remember you saying that in D&D

you must get punched quite a lot relative to the average person

It's happened once or twice. Never been concussed though. So if you except almost certain alcohol damage i'm probably okay.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lol at all the people saying Mike Tyson was one of the best boxers of all time.
Next to Ali, he was the flashiest, and he had perhaps the fastest hook-uppercut combi of all time. But dude couldn't take a punch for poo poo. Buster loving Douglas knocked him out. I can't recall one actually excellent boxer he ever beat, but I can recall a string of losses once he started fighting skilled opps. The strongest opponent he actually beat was probably Robin Givens.

Bruce Lee vs. Ali. That would be a good debate/

You're like the third of fourth loving dude to mention Ali in this thread. I don't really have any opinion about him. Just know that he's a stone cold retard now, and Mike Tyson is at least semi coherent. Even has hobbies like pigeons and acting in Adult Swim cartoons and poo poo. So it kind of sounds like Tyson could dodge punches better.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

LegoPirateNinja posted:

if a 140lb pro boxer could beat a 210lb pro boxer, they wouldn't have weight classes ergo bruce lee doesnt have a chance in a straight fistfight owing to the fact that he was a human being not a magical chinaman.

lets be realistic if they were both stuck on a desert island bruce lee would simply run away until he could fashion a cannon out of rocks and bamboo

Magical chinaman, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

not the human eye, you double gaywad, the garbage film cameras they used in the late 60's/early 70's. A big part of bruce lee's mystique is that there's very little actual footage of him doing any cool kung fu stuff because film was expensive and terrible until the last few years he was alive, and then he died. Dude got into an absolute ton of fights when he was a smartass hong kong street rat and developed his own fighting style to basically be the best at street fighting but ofc there aren't random youtube videos of him beating up guys in an alley

That's incredibly fascinating. So in your mind is "rumble in the bronx" like the same thing as a heavyweight boxing match?

• Locked thread