Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Like, if you were specifically looking for one, and wanted to be absolutely sure it was dug up by a child slave in a war-torn African nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
go straight to the source and start a fight about it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
they all are :ssh:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Xaris posted:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Volcott posted:

Like, if you were specifically looking for one, and wanted to be absolutely sure it was dug up by a child slave in a war-torn African nation.

i'd gently caress your mom OP

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Don't worry OP, even if you buy a "conflict free" diamond, you are still perpetuating a market for shiny rocks only made valuable by a dumb custom started by an advertising campaign, keeping the prices high on all diamonds and the children in the mines.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Universe Master posted:

Don't worry OP, even if you buy a "conflict free" diamond, you are still perpetuating a market for shiny rocks only made valuable by a dumb custom started by an advertising campaign, keeping the prices high on all diamonds and the children in the mines.

you act as if you have a solution lol

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volcott posted:

Step 1: Go to Zanzibar with 3 pairs fitted suits, one black, one brown, one silver

Step 2: Go see Tong, be sure to have USD or cocaine. Don't cheat, he'll know

Step 3: Enjoy your conflict diamonds

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

de_dust posted:

just add water

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Depends on your definition of "conflict". If you share the diamond-industries definition, it means a diamond harvested with blood or through warlords and the like. If you follow the more general definition of poor people living in squalor, as virtual slaves working for nothing or pennies, and exploited until they die early, well then all diamonds are conflict diamonds.

So head on down to your local jewelry store and pick up a conflict diamond! Every kiss begins with Kay(and ethnics slaving in a suicidal hell, but we gave them a biscuit and six cents, so it's all above board).

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Universe Master posted:

lol

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Do they put the blood into the diamond? Does the value increase with the source of the blood? Like if Michael Jackson blood filled diamonds cost more than, say, Denzel Washington blood.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

de_dust posted:

I think we should get women interested in the same expensive things that only wreck the environment, like sports cars or big trucks, that men are.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Xaris posted:

Pretty sure the ones mined out of Canada in the Arctic aren't conflict diamonds.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Universe Master posted:

I think we should get women interested in the same expensive things that only wreck the environment, like sports cars or big trucks, that men are.

cellphones

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Go to the gulf and find a guy who speaks afrikaans then ask him if he sells diamonds.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Use the game Far Cry 2 as your guide. Find those diamonds in random suitcases while clearing outposts of mercs that will back in 20 seconds, while some guy with the most annoying South African accent calls you "china" a bunch.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Sell the liberian president some guns

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Universe Master posted:

Use the game Far Cry 2 as your guide. Find those diamonds in random suitcases while clearing outposts of mercs that will back in 20 seconds, while some guy with the most annoying South African accent calls you "china" a bunch.

Multiplayer far cry 2 was great

"find their dia-monds!"
"someone has taken our dia-monds!"

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Give Charles Taylor a boner and they'll show up right to your hotel room for free.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i'd go to the mall

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
very carefully

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i'd go to jared's because i don't actually care about that bitch

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
For the record, it's bullshit that Big Diamond torpedoed those artificially created diamonds that were perfectly clear and were as big as you wanted them to be. "Nope can't sell those it would sully the dignity of our shiny rocks. Also, you actually want some imperfections, that makes them better."

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Go to Africa and buy one, it's cheap and pretty safe.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Volcott posted:

For the record, it's bullshit that Big Diamond torpedoed those artificially created diamonds that were perfectly clear and were as big as you wanted them to be. "Nope can't sell those it would sully the dignity of our shiny rocks. Also, you actually want some imperfections, that makes them better."

Don't worry, those man made diamonds are going to revolutionize cheap electronics.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
id be conflicted

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just pay for your diamond with boxes of AK-47s and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sprawl posted:

Pretty sure the ones mined out of Canada in the Arctic aren't conflict diamonds.

well you can't be sure any given purchase you make is not a conflict diamond. conflict diamonds are given fake certificates from conflict-free mines. there are a lot of ways they're sold legally, mostly involving bribing government officials.

honestly, if you're worried about whether your diamond purchase is ethical, you probably just shouldn't buy them at all. blood diamonds are so lucrative the entire market for diamonds is tainted. even if you know your diamond is ethical, your purchase just fuels demand for even more diamonds which will inevitably include a lot of conflict diamonds.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

the ones from canada are conflict free if you don't think about the indians that used to live where the mine was that were probably forcibly relocated and had their children taken away to be indoctrinated so their culture would die with their parents

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

lol if you buy anything, but lmao if you spend thousands of dollars on a rock because of an ad campaign devised by capitalists

bring back lf

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Go into a Jewelry store and ask for Mr. Feinstein, then get into a haggling war over one of the pieces, pull out your pistol and shoot him. Make sure his blood trickles over the surface of the stones before fleeing the scene. This part is essential.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
This is why I bought my wife a moissanite ring. Sure, I'm still spending cashola on a shiny rock, but THIS shiny rock is made in a science lab and not mined up by poor people. Take that, DeBeers!!!

Also, at least it's cheaper than diamonds, too...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i hear jacob might have some

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Universe Master posted:

it's hip and cool to think that but you're also paying for craftsmanship, i know it's a hard concept that jewelry can be art

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ramsus posted:

it's hip and cool to think that but you're also paying for craftsmanship, i know it's a hard concept that jewelry can be art

Isn't it supposed to be art?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sammus posted:

Isn't it supposed to be art?

woah

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

:psyboom:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Make it from your comrades ashes OP, that's what all the cool dogs are doing these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
save some money and buy conflict zinc instead

• Locked thread