Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Chinatown posted:

spotify is literal poo poo lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

GOD IS BED posted:

If using winamp is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Aryu Kiddimeh posted:

I got winamp in 2014, I thought it was cool and new. Guess it's old. iTunes is just annoying and laggy.

funny thing is that aesthetics in UI design are actually going backwards; some of the poo poo they're cooking up for Windows 10 is if anything worse than Windows 3.1, so I don't blame you for being confused

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nathilus posted:

sure, it's free, just go download whatever version 3 build you can find.

last year there was a lot of noise that MS was going to buy winamp which just made me :barf: but then some rando internet radio company or smth bought them up out of nowhere saving them from AOL just trashing the whole thing, but there haven't been any developments since :smith:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nathilus posted:

no one uses the more recent builds anyway. winamp 5 was a step along the way to becoming the bloatware garbage that most modern media players are today. Winamp 2 does almost everything you could want a music player to do and 3 added serious extensibility. There's no need for any professional work to be done on it: it's already complete. I guess one day it might fall out of OS compatibility if some nerd doesn't man up and do some work with it but I'm pretty sure that could be done on a hobbyist level, licenses permitting.

when did auto-tagging get introduced, with version 5? because when that poo poo worked (before the contract with Gracenote expired) it was loving magic and legitimately amazed me on the reg; I would throw ancient MP3 sfrom mix disks assembled from totally random electronica from ages ago and it would go "yeah duder that's easy, it's this" and I'd google it and sure enough, it'd be right

people make a lot of noise about AOL badness through ads or smth creeping in at one point but after a while everyone realized how terrible an idea that was and rolled it back; 5.66 is as lean as any music ibrary software I've seen

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I still use winamp

back in the 2000s I got winamp and it was cool cause it had all these television channels and I watched illegal streams of tv shows what happened to that

The Man happened :whitewater:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Beige posted:

Winamp is surely the pinnacle of human endeavour.

that would be Opera 12.x, but close

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

spoon0042 posted:

lol slashdot

if you're serious: http://www.foobar2000.org/

you know how people were talking about music player spergs earlier in the thread re: winamp? this is who they are actually referring to

loving foobar :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

They did ever explain what "Winamp" stands for?

it was epic and for the Win :razz:

• Locked thread