Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hard counter posted:

too wasteful imho unless you suck at making someone likable without devoting a whole book to them

It's the best friend/love interest character whose personality is issuing affirmations and healing speeches to the main protagonist, who incidentally is the author with better hair and a darker past

his tragic death will be the thing that finally motivates the heroes to bring down the villain that's destroying the world

come on this is baby school here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

after they take down the villain it should either be revealed that the love interest isnt really dead or they get a thing to bring them back

come on we have standards here this isn't comic books, dead is dead and the protagonist will eventually hook up with the antisocial, violent drunk who puts on an unapproachable persona because deep down they're a tormented sensitive soul

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hard counter posted:

drat you're right I forgot about that one

Still it's important to invent a cool dude that dies to scrub orcs so there's a token amount of tension during battles. Yeah main characters won't die but secondaries like Loyal McCoolbeard are all up for grabs

Yeah this is fair give him a scar over one eye to show that he's been through some poo poo, but not in like a gross or seriously disabling way

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's OK I have a set core of main characters who really do stuff and they all have scars over one eye too

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hard counter posted:

sex-based majicks

pro move or no move?

Good sex magic or evil sex magic?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

all members of royalty are either kings or princesses

Kings are women and queens are men, did I just upend your world patriarch

still just as brutal as always tho

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

the villain and the hero are actually very similar

did i just blow your loving mind

There's at least one pre-battle soliloquy to this effect

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

i'm thinking that something has upset the balance, and balance has to be restored. and the villain doesnt want to restore the balance

The proper balance between the eternal forces of Order and Chaos is Order winning and reigning supreme forever after, but not like fascism or anything like that sort of implies

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 24, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Speleothing posted:

Listen,

I think we're drifting away from worldbuilding and into plot framing and key scenes.

Let's try to stay on topic.

Are the swamp people more like frogs or more like alligators? I vote alligators because I think frogs are a little overdone.

Let me know when you've figured that out I've got a complete geneology of their royal family dating back to prehistoric times and up to the protagonist

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Going to break from the standard fantasy elf/orc/dwarf template with unique new races quadroon, octaroon, celestial

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Changed my mind everyone's dogs now, no worries tho they all still talk and act and have haircuts like people and their society is basically urban America but with horrifically violent discrimination against the dogs with wings

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

there should be a cap on strength stat for female characters

-2 str, -2 int, +2 dex, +2 cha. I'm still polishing the speech where a character explains this in the novel this will eventually be

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

my fetish, but for a reason

Dissertation on the ins and outs of an economy based on blowing people up with a bicycle pump

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There's guns and big modern cities and flying battleship things everywhere but when it comes down to fighting almost everyone uses a sword

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

naem posted:

The first book should be a really sharp and well defined mideval Europe setting with warring factions and a couple suggestive supernatural elements, it should be aimed at an obvious but well written conclusion in three books. Just a rare well done series.

Ok second book, meanders a bit, pretty good, satisfies any curiosity about that horse people culture and the displaced last daughter of the former king with the dragon, ok good, aiming for that final conclusive book next good stuff

*picked up as HBO series*

OH YEAH I forgot about the, um feeble warbles and the ice monster, thing OH and two books about side characters, hmm lemme kill off half the cast, what's that HBO? Sex??

Sex!! SEX SEX SO MUCH SEX whew it's crazy ha yeah um, wait too many dead characters here are ten more and I'll kill a bunch of them yep..

if you got to a first book you didn't worldbuild enough

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

everyone fears and hates those the gods have cursed with heterochromia, but secretly it means they're an angel

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Whybird posted:

Regular pirates are pretty played out by now, but get this: what if their ship can fly

There's about 400 pirate ships for every merchanter and they only ever steal from the totally evil kajillionaire one

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 25, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Cities have like 20 neighborhoods and all kinds of named locations but only like 100 people actually live there.

Industrial Zone
Warehouse Zone
Docks Zone

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gold is overdone I feel strongly that a naturalistic fantasy world full of magic and wonder should base its economy on a more exciting standard, like catgirl sweat

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

its a jetsons like future except instead of flying cars everyone rides dragons

The dragons are sentient and talk but are still treated as vehicles, it's unclear whether they're slaves or what

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've written four paragraphs of the plot and sixteen hundred pages of scenarios where all the characters are gay and bang each other, even the ones that are supposed to never meet

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 26, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

just writing out some character bios here

name:
student club:
favorite anime:
meanest teacher:
eye color:

Also this is set in fantasy 17th century Germany

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

In the beginning the gods divided the world into the two equal forces of Light, which is basically a normal self-sufficient fantasy world, and Dark, which is hell monsters that exist only to destroy the Light

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Once every ten-thousand years an unholy union gives rise to a half-vampire, unearthly beautiful and superhumanly strong stalkers of the darkness, only this decamillennium it must've happened like at least forty times going by the characters

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It all started as ironic then I got caught up in the characters and now I have a serious, grittily realistic epic of Captain Crunch's ageless battle with the Soggies.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

At a cost of several billion dollars apiece a company has produced sapient, incredibly obnoxious robots

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Parallax Scroll posted:

there's a magic fountain with a mermaid that lives in it that.. grants wishes? oh and she's topless

She really only grants one wish but everyone asks for the same one anyway

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in my world, Things do not have Names, there is always only one Thing and it is referred to by its common noun but Capitalized

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

40 page, exhaustively researched, figure-heavy design document on the constructions and specifications of a high-C-fractional star drive that'd totally work if quantum tunnelling somehow negated gravity

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Professional-looking, detailed blueprint of the dystopian royal guards' elite railguns that are four times the size of modern small arms and have no way to move bullets from the magazine to the barrel

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Giant bipedal walking robot hastily recolored halfway through to be made of brass, powered by steam

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

There's a race of animal-people.

But not one of the common animal people like dogs or cats or poo poo. It's a really original race of animal-people nobody has done before.

They have a really unique culture based entirely on some real-world people who live where this animal lives.

Some of them become Adventurers.

To cover up the tracks a bit they're a little different from that real-world culture, in that every last one of them is really lazy and steals

david... posted:

animal race people always make their spaceships look like the animal so like bird people fly big bird ships but the humans don't fly around in giant nude human shaped things

hell, maybe they should

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Of all the species in the galaxy humans are the only ones good at more than one job yet somehow they are a plucky underdog and not genociding everybody

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hard counter posted:

Sometimes the other species will just be imagined in terms of a simple human traits too. Some aliens will be all greedy, others will scheme all the time and there will definitely be proud warrior guys. Maybe nice naive aliens too. This way every culture can do all the jobs but still be different. Proud warrior scientists get off on making explodier bombs and maybe making the ships that deliver them, while schemer doctors cheat and do all sorts of crazy plotting to get ahead. Greedy alien farmers are all about the yields and sales.

The warriors are definitely all about climbing in their interstellar spaceships to go fight people with fucken spears and the space farmers are also basically medieval peasants in jumpsuits

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 2, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Orcs are cruelly oppressed by human culture in an overt racism metaphor but are also kinda shown to be objectively inferior animalistic beings, and the oppression is mostly that they have to live in a fairly nice segregated quarter of town

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bobert Bobertson posted:

in my world the heros are sent to fantasy vietnam and fight against various guerilla groups of goblins/kobolds/whatever, and the wizard promises that slay plantlife poison spell is "totally safe yo." most of them die, a few defect to live with the guerillas and the ones who go home are treated like beggars + horribly traumatized. also they get magic tumors

i'd read this, probably

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

And bugs! They'd all die of malnutrition without the bugs.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Speleothing posted:

What if the king is secretly one of the Ancients, and he knows all sorts of secrets of both technology and magic. But for ambiguous reasons he won't reveal them to end poverty and make life better for everyone.

Because it would disrupt the Balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

interdimensional travel is possible and all my favorite cartoons and video games are really parallel realities and the main characters are all friends

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 3, 2015

• Locked thread