Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. pick that rock up with your mind lol - the buddha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Buddhism/Hinduism/Taoism are all kind of variations on the same religion tbh. Well Taoism is the only one that's distinctly Chinese but it picked up a lot of concepts from its neighbors through the years thanks to how fluid it was from inception.

All of these religions have views of the universe that are corroborated by psychedelics so I think they are probably correct imo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

toggle posted:

doubt it :D

jnah i started cutting out parts of my life out of some idiot idea of non attachment and it didn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
there's a guy in E/N right now who has achieved a perfect existence of no desires or attachments. He claims its hell. Buddhism wrong??!!?!?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nathilus posted:

there's a guy in E/N right now who has achieved a perfect existence of no desires or attachments. He claims its hell. Buddhism wrong??!!?!?

no dude shut up i'm totally going to win religion by playing the quiet game at least 20 minutes a day

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
buddha abandoned his wife (also cousin) and child to be a hobo lol

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Miltank posted:

I'm a rich young hipster who went on a spiritual journey to India after realizing that my servants have worse lives than me. In the end, I come to terms with class struggle by deciding that nothing actually matters anyway.

whoflungpoop posted:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

You really hate Buddhism I see

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

buddha got to heaven and God was like "you had some good ideas but drat you're such a nerd lol"

but later they were good friends and eventually buddha got over himself and God let him become Santa Claus, the end.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You really hate Buddhism I see

to be fair there's not much that's come out of that region since Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro's indoor plumbing that isn't weird or hosed up or just plain terrible

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

whoflungpoop posted:

to be fair there's not much that's come out of that region since Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro's indoor plumbing that isn't weird or hosed up or just plain terrible

Curry is great and those little baked dessert ball things they serve at Indian restaurants are pretty baller

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

yeah that's true the food is good

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Also this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RZaszNhB0

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Buddhism/Hinduism/Taoism are all kind of variations on the same religion tbh.

lol no

whoflungpoop posted:

Livin' the dream....

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
is there a Buddhism for Dummies book?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

rip dimebag dinesh

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Curry is great and those little baked dessert ball things they serve at Indian restaurants are pretty baller

that's condensed syrup you loving pig

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Analects of Confucius

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

whoflungpoop posted:

I think this is a good opportunity to pivot the thread to be about the inferiority of non-white cultures.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

lol as if romans and greeks were white

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

whoflungpoop posted:

Golden Dawn would like a word with you.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
My inevitable death and dissolution is no problem, because I am more than an ego, I am that is.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Agag posted:

Golden Dawn would like a word with you.

GD is adorable, they want to be white so bad :allears:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

Analects of Confucius

lol no

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The anal-rects of cumfucious

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

whoflungpoop posted:

true story when I was a kid I thought romans looked like british people. All the old rome movies used to hire aristocratic looking british actors for some reason. I think I was like 14 when it suddenly hit me one day, out of the blue. "HOLY poo poo! ROMANS == ITALIANS! WHAT THE gently caress"

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Nathilus posted:

true story when I was a kid I thought romans looked like british people. All the old rome movies used to hire aristocratic looking british actors for some reason. I think I was like 14 when it suddenly hit me one day, out of the blue. "HOLY poo poo! ROMANS == ITALIANS! WHAT THE gently caress"

Some were even African. :psyboom:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

My inevitable death and dissolution is no problem, because I am more than an ego, I am that is.

you're like a blind man shaking his fist standing in front of a speeding train

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
On that subject, there were a bunch of little Greco-Buddhist kingdoms in Central Asia. Alexandrian successors who were later converted to Buddhism by Silk Road missionaries. Made some nice statues.

Perhaps the Greeks introduced pedophilia to Central Asia, but we'll never know for sure.

hohhat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tautologicus posted:

you're like a blind man shaking his fist standing in front of a speeding train

But do I hear the train or do I feel the impact?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lmao is you're not a cynic in the greek philosophy sense of the word. just gtfo.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

But do I hear the train or do I feel the impact?

probably and yes

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tautologicus posted:

probably and yes

It's just like that gypsy woman predicted

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

This is a really good, easy, and brief introduction to Buddhist worldview, history, and its various forms throughout the world.

pcsdude
Feb 20, 2015
What is Buddhism? ( Part1) Given by Venerable Master Chin Kung
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD0Pi0_CpgY&t=908s

http://1.beblearn.com/wisdom-of-buddhism-videos.html

Standard for being a good student and child
http://1.beblearn.com/standards-for-being-a-good-student-and-child.html

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
human being religion

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I appreciate Buddhism.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Buddha left his family to enlighten himself. Seems pretty selfish.

Namaste.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

buddhism a religion invented to convince the lower castes not to revolt against their masters for fear of getting an even shittier life next go around, and to justify the wealth and prestige of the higher castes as moral superiority rather than blatant exploitation... gosh... truly a n enlightened religion of peace and good to all people....

taoism better than all other religos imo

lmao this nihga thinks only tibetan vajrayana is buddhism when it is one of the later movements smh

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Stottie Kyek posted:

Muslims get a lot of poo poo from everybody because of Islamic terrorists and the like, but if you're a Buddhist no one ever mentions the genocide of the Rohingya in Burma or the Sri Lankan fascist movements happening right now. They just go "ooh how spiritual", it owns

actually every goon or redditor (same archetype really) mentions those things like it actually means or indicates anything other than the very mentioning of it revealing the speaker's misunderstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ArmZ posted:

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

well that doesn't even make sense, lukewarm things (your mom's tits) are some of the most pleasant to have in your mouth, while things at the extreme can even be physically damaging

score twenty points for the middle path (your mom's cooch)

• Locked thread