Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Also, Mao was personally a very impressive individual in a lot of ways

dude was really sharp, also strong-willed, devious and charismatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
You say impressive,
I say oppressive,
Time to call the whole thing off.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

V. Illych L. posted:

Also, Mao was personally a very impressive individual in a lot of ways

dude was really sharp, also strong-willed, devious and charismatic

I was watching a documentary about your namesake last night, and apparently he whizzed through a three year law degree in a single year. Smart cookie.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Yvette Cooper is just killing it in parliament, taking the government to task over Serco.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Communism is terrible and causes nothing but death and as such is evil, now let me tell you how Capitalism and the British Empire were forces for good...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Prince John posted:

I was watching a documentary about your namesake last night, and apparently he whizzed through a three year law degree in a single year. Smart cookie.

Oh yeah, Lenin was one of those people you can read and just *feel* the intelligence of. I very rarely feel completely out of my depth reading even very clever people, but reading Lenin is a very humbling experience. I think it's because he's not a really super cryptic (like Wittgenstein or many continentals) or especially dense in his prose (Hegel, looking at you), so he just lays his analysis open in a way that makes it look completely obvious without obscuring his work. He was very much a product of his time, but I think he might be my favourite prose writer from a reader's perspective - he just hits that sweet spot of sophistication, erudition and straightforwardness for me. More so than even guys like Sartre or Russel, for whatever reason.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Communism is terrible and causes nothing but death and as such is evil, now let me tell you how Capitalism and the British Empire were forces for good...
You know that saying about "the only thing that all of your past failed relationships have in common is you"? Maybe that's the case here.
Maybe it's not State Communism or Capitalism or Imperialism. Maybe it's humans that are terrible and which something should be done about.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

V. Illych L. posted:

Oh yeah, Lenin was one of those people you can read and just *feel* the intelligence of. I very rarely feel completely out of my depth reading even very clever people, but reading Lenin is a very humbling experience. I think it's because he's not a really super cryptic (like Wittgenstein or many continentals) or especially dense in his prose (Hegel, looking at you), so he just lays his analysis open in a way that makes it look completely obvious without obscuring his work. He was very much a product of his time, but I think he might be my favourite prose writer from a reader's perspective - he just hits that sweet spot of sophistication, erudition and straightforwardness for me. More so than even guys like Sartre or Russel, for whatever reason.

Any particular volumes you'd recommend? I could do with some new reading material, especially in a style other than Zizek's intense chapter-length run-on sentences.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

Do you have any particular recommendations?

I was tempted to read "Left-Wing Communism, an Infantile Disorder", just because I found the title hilarious for a book written by Lenin, but should I start with something like The State and Revolution?

Edit: Beaten terribly.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 3, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

You know that saying about "the only thing that all of your past failed relationships have in common is you"? Maybe that's the case here.
Maybe it's not State Communism or Capitalism or Imperialism. Maybe it's humans that are terrible and which something should be done about.

Trident would solve that problem

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd rather live in the UK than the Soviet Union maybe it's just me.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Any particular volumes you'd recommend? I could do with some new reading material, especially in a style other than Zizek's intense chapter-length run-on sentences.

You could compromise with http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n09/slavoj-zizek/barbarism-with-a-human-face

Lenin's big hits are:

What is to be Done?
State and Revolution
Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism

aaaaaaand

Left-Wing Communism, an Infantile Disorder

Most of Lenin's stuff is available here: https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/index.htm

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

People's Democratic Republic of Great Britain

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Left-Wing Communism, an Infantile Disorder is very good, it's maybe the single most valuable document for assessing the theoretical justifications for the early development of the Soviet Union. I very much enjoy Materialism and Empirio-Criticism, which is probably Lenin's most original philosophical work. Other than that, What Is To Be Done and State and Revolution are, being the biggest "classics", also good for understanding Lenin's thinking. I understand he's got a textbook on the materialist dialectic, but I can't comment on that as I haven't read it. Beyond that, he's got a lot of essays (some terribly dated) and various commentary on contemporary political issues. Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism is also a really good summary of the "orthodox" Marxist view on the relation between, well, imperialism and capitalism as such, and a major theoretical contribution.

Lenin's most important works are fairly esoteric, and he is really fond of Engels, but they can be read on their own. I particularly like his sick beatdowns on people - he writes some absolutely savage polemics. Find anything about Bernstein, or Kautsky after the outbreak of the Great War - his writing just drips of venom.

e. oh hey, look how beaten i got

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'd rather live in the UK than Somalia.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd rather live in the UK than Somalia.

I share this preference.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012
You pay less tax in Somalia tho, would be nice having a couple hundred quid extra on your pay cheque every month tho

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Larry_Mullet posted:

You pay less tax in Somalia tho, would be nice having a couple hundred quid extra on your pay cheque every month tho

I feel the only minefields you can step on are the verbal kind in the Uk tho.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You can become a pirate in somalia

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wonder if 'The Great Somalian Bakeoff' exists?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jose posted:

You can become a pirate in somalia

What if you're already a pirate? :filez:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

I wonder if 'The Great Somalian Bakeoff' exists?

Is there a german bake off?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

UnquietDream posted:

Yvette Cooper is just killing it in parliament, taking the government to task over Serco.
Nice.

quote:

“Women in Yarl’s Wood are detained on the instruction of the Home Office. The Home Secretary is responsible for ensuring they are treated humanely.

There has been a history of problems at Yarl’s Wood going back many years but we were told those had been addressed.

Yet in September 2013, it was reported that women at Yarl’s Wood had been sexually assaulted by Serco guards who the Home Secretary contracted to manage the centre.

I called on her then to set up an independent inquiry.

In March 2014 a woman died at Yarl’s Wood, I asked an urgent question in this House – and called on the Home Secretary again to set up an independent inquiry into the abuse. She didn’t, and didn’t come to the House.

In May 2014 more allegations came out that another vulnerable woman was sexually assaulted, that a woman who poured boiling water over herself was left for hours in a state of shock.

Again I called on the Home Secretary to set up an independent inquiry.
And again, I called on her to do so at the end of last year.Yet the Home Secretary has failed repeatedly to do so.

Refused to establish an independent inquiry. Refused to investigate allegations of rape and sexual abuse. Refused to let the UN rapporteur even visit. Refused to come to this House. Instead, in November she renewed Serco’s contract.

Gave the same company whose guards stand accused of abuse a contract for another 8 years. Last month the Home Secretary said she’d review policies and procedures in detention centres. She should have done that before she renewed the contract. And now here we are again. Even more serious allegations

A pregnant woman left to have a miscarriage without getting all the medical support she needed. Guards calling women “animals… take a stick with you and beat them up”. Serco guards. Who the Government gave the contract to. Even now, they haven’t set up an independent inquiry. Serco has. It’s an utter disgrace.

The Home Secretary should have come to the House, instead the Minister has been sent out to defend the indefensible. She should go back and tell the Home Secretary to take some responsibility for a change. To stop pregnant women and victims of sexual violence being held in Yarl’s Wood at all.

To hold a proper independent inquiry.

This is state sanctioned abuse of women on the Home Secretary’s watch and it needs to end now.”

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

serious gaylord posted:

Is there a german bake off?

Apparently so

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

How can we deny the UN Rapporteur a visit? We're behaving like some jumped up dictatorship. :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Apparently so

Do they have a star baker?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Prince John posted:

How can we deny the UN Rapporteur a visit? We're behaving like some jumped up dictatorship. :(

Didn't we throw a massive strop at the one who came to see our food banks?

Yvette Cooper for PM imo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

serious gaylord posted:

I get this reference.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Holy poo poo

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kegluneq posted:

Didn't we throw a massive strop at the one who came to see our food banks?

Yvette Cooper for PM imo

Never make a Home Secretary or their shadows into PMs; Home Secretaries invariably turn into fascists in the job.

To be honest, we should nuke Yarl's Wood into the dirt. They've been mistreating detainees since it opened fifteen or so years ago.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Woah

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

No trolling in d&d

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

baka kaba posted:

No trolling in d&d

It's even worse than trolling - I actually still imagine we're in a world where people at the top do have an eye for upholding some rudimentary standards of decency. How silly of me.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://m.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-31699347

Netenyahoo is talking about Iran to the Americans

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

It's even worse than trolling - I actually still imagine we're in a world where people at the top do have an eye for upholding some rudimentary standards of decency. How silly of me.

I said stop!

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I would move away from the Marxists and read something like Bourdieu's Distinction for a more nuanced understanding of class structure than the Marxist one or perhaps some Foucault for a philosophical framework that offers a great place to critique the framework of Marxism that relies heavily on metanarratives.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

StoneOfShame posted:

I would move away from the Marxists and read something like Bourdieu's Distinction for a more nuanced understanding of class structure than the Marxist one or perhaps some Foucault for a philosophical framework that offers a great place to critique the framework of Marxism that relies heavily on metanarratives.

die pomo scum

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jesus H Christ. If I'm reading Cooper right, Serco have set up an independent inquiry into themselves after Theresa May refused to. How loving evil do you have to be that the company who will be disgraced if the findings confirm these stories is more interested in the truth getting out than you are?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

For real, though, Foucault is great, but I do think it's good to have an understanding of the subject of a critique prior to the critique itself, and Lenin is both entertaining and lucid as a writer. Also Foucault really loved him some Marxism, so eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Lenin: A Study in the Unity of his Thought by Lukacs, obviously.

• Locked thread