Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A meme is no different from a catchphrase or a soundbite.

*monorail cat picture*

You hear that mister Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

What is the appeal of Maoism, anyway? I mostly hear it described as 'Marxism-Leninism with more focus on agriculture', but Mao was famously poo poo at agriculture.

Conquering all of china is pretty impressive. They also had great propaganda style and had a weird populism in their governing style which avoided a lot of the presentation of the USSR as repressive and boring.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

winegums posted:

Original work do not steal.

I don't think you get memes....

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Dakha posted:

Enough of thif boring fhit, I bring you fome breaking news from Foho

This is Nicholas Dakha, our London reporter coming live from the 18th century.

Edit: ok this was funny before you actually did post something from that time.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I like Jaffas actually, they're soft to start with but rapidly harden in a bad way and need to be thrown out. Theyre also unpalatable at any time.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

vegetables posted:

This is true. It'd also make Labour's campaigning stance of "vote for us instead of the SNP to keep the Tories out somehow" seem even more hollow and desperate than it already does, and would make them even more toxic up here than they already are.

I think the impact would be far larger than just in Scotland; having Lib Dems team up with Tories and lose their souls in one election and then have Labour and Tories pairing up in the next would pretty much be a knock out blow for anyone thinking 'they're all the same really'. Radical alternatives would be inevitable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

What part of the UK has talking buses?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I would vote for My Lovely Horse to win Eurovision.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

THIIIIINGS

CAN ONLY GET BETTEEERRRRR :smugmrgw:

On the topic of blind optimism, what's this horse of a different colour Blue Labour I've heard tell about?

Why would Labourites appealing to Tory sensibilities be a source of optimism?

Edit: Wait it's Tony Blair talk, compulsory link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKSllUPbzCI

Edit2: Oh no I watched it all again :smith:

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 10, 2015

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Aren't they either going to be big heavy and dangerous or like the camping gas bottles so you change them every couple of hours at most? This sounds a strange system....

Edit: A quick google seems to say the individual bottle method is expensive compared to alternative methods as well.

namesake fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 11, 2015

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Not everywhere has a gas main, and electricity is expensive to heat with.

Yeah I know I grew up in an oil heated house but that had a huge tank to store it in. I'm just a bit baffled by something far off the track enough to not get gas but somehow not have enough room for a large central tank.

Oh well, ~*UK houses*~ does it again.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

That one was Gordon Brown. On the other hand if Tony had had his way we'd be in the Euro now, which sadly in retrospect it turns out would have been a terrible idea.

Just to clarify on this because lots of people seem to take issue with the wrong part of the gold sale; the problem was that the sale was announced in advance, not that the gold was sold.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Thing is do we have any inspiring educational/intellectual example in our culture right now? Our business and political leaders are inheritors and nepotistic, our celebrities are typically either famous for being rich and well connected or for having a natural talent like humour or athletics, same with the entrepreneurial spirit that rightwingers go on about and we've publically just told all our recent school leavers that their exams were too easy and if you're getting a degree you'd better be using it as a career pathway or you've wasted your time. Abstract knowledge just isn't valued.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I'd be interested in a pair for running with GPS/pace data and maybe a person to 'chase' superimposed over what I'm seeing would be fun.

A phantom of your best time as tracked by GPS for efficiency runs and a chaser to run in front of you to distract you so you get hit by a bus.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The quote from the BBC said they promise to borrow less than Labour and cut less than the Tories and while that's definitely possible it's just such an incredibly precise summary of all three parties attempts to position themselves and theirs fears of that that its amazing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's nice of Channel 4 to spend lots of money and interviewing people for a shiny demonstration of 'liberal anti-racism always amounts to trailing the xenophobic right even if they don't want to admit it'.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

i'll have you know pretty green lights in the sky are more important than any material wealth on this earth. I think Jesus said that somewhere

That was E.T.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

There's no head to head with Labour but there's a Question time with David, Ed and Nick which will be bizarre.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

That's ridiculous.

Which leader would have been best suited to lead at the battle of Ypres?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Could you have an 'Unfuck the trains and NHS party' on the ballot or are there laws against profanity in registered party names?

What if the candidates name was gently caress Tories?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Payndz posted:

Someone remind me again why printing* money and handing it to banks in the form of Quantitative Easing is good for inflation, but printing* that same money and handing it to people to spend in the economy directly is bad for inflation?

*In the modern sense of "literally calling into existence from nothing by typing on a computer"

QE through bond purchases can be sold back at a later date, it's a 'responsible' way of injecting huge amounts of cash into the system because it can be undone (even if it isn't actually undone at all).

Cutting everyone a check actually increases the amount of money in circulation which is harder to draw down again (conceivably it could be done by running a budget surplus for a while but like that's going to be an option any time soon).

The inflation impact will differ because the money moves into the system differently but that's not why it's done through bonds and not helicopter money.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Well hopefully you can see that it's quite lovely for people who don't have extreme reactions to things like that to say 'Nah your issue isn't important, we're going to keep on doing things our way no matter the impact on you.'

Since it seems to have been requested, why not agree to the request? What harm is done? I don't think the fact that other groups won't be so considerate isn't an excuse for them not to be considerate either.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The world can be an insensitive and uncaring place which is why I deny my family, friends and coworkers any form of emotional or logistical support in their lives because I'm not everyone in the world.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Clarky Cat!!!!

30-second physical assault after a 20-minute verbal assault eh

Hmm yeah that must have been horrible to go through, good on the BBC for being able to ignore commercial concerns and ensuring safe work environments for their staff even when the cost and public backlash would be high. I give them poo poo over a lot of their coverage but it seems like they've still got a good internal attitude to this sort of thing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Sickle cell anemia is a social construct

Actually it's a mutated gene which can be carried by anyone but only has an effect when both parents pass it on, thus making it predominantly appear in African and Carribbean people due to genetics and maths.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

vegetables posted:

This thread's love of Robot Wars and Scrapheap Challenge made me think the cast of Red Dwarf might make quite good presenters of Top Gear.

If they had their original series personalities I'm definitely in.

"I'll take it from here guys, I've used this model before. I'm just adjusting the engine gauges to maximise the initial acceleration."
"That's the steering wheel Chris."
"I don't know what sort of car it is, but it really matches the lapels of this gorgeous driving suit I'm wearing! WHHOOOA!"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

Well there's the solution, get David Mitchell to host it!

Here's the pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jahuMNUQ9_4

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The fact that he wrote the Discourses on Livy as well as the Prince does somewhat lend credibility to the idea that the Prince was not an instruction manual in a positive sense.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

^^^ Politician looking awkward? Drink!

Put them in a wresting ring with those folding chairs imo

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

I won't really be paying attention.

Then you're the target audience!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's like when the US military had to be ordered to ignore all orders coming from Nixon after 11pm.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Wait so do employers in the UK not pay insurance for workplace injuries? Forcing them to do so is a good thing. The rest are petty and vindictive.

Presumably it's supposed to be covered in National Insurance contributions as healthcare and incapacity benefits are provided by the state. This would seem to be a scheme to simply remove a cost from government, give more money to the insurance industry and gently caress small businesses/the self employed/the injured as they're offered rubbish rates. Alternatively it's a means of getting workers used to contracting for coverage directly with their employer so that the same scheme can be rolled out with healthcare at some future point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Is this actually the UK thread or did someone rename the chat thread? I'm so confused by all these foreigners, this what it must be like to be 50 in Kent and suddenly see a black person, no wonder they vote UKIP.

Also yeah saying only a significant minority of 0 hours contract workers want more hours miss the point that they might be fine with the hours they work but they almost certainly would like a guarantee to work the amount of hours that they do and have a predictable schedule of those hours as well.

• Locked thread