Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Caroline Lucas is a filthy scab who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the leadership of a left leaning party.

I know, daring to help local residents pick up dirty nappies and broken glass from their road - monstrous behaviour!

It's worth reading the whole page, as it's relatively thoughtful but:

quote:

And as an MP with a strong track record on defending workers rights, I have joined workers on the picket line and am doing my utmost to put pressure on all sides to reach a fair resolution. I also have a responsibility as MP to represent all my constituents and, as a local resident, I have firsthand experience of the damage caused by each day of this dispute.

That’s why, earlier this week, I joined a small group of residents to help bag up some of the nappies and broken glass on their street. For me, this is community activism, and sits squarely with my support for those taking action to secure a fair income. And yet I have been attacked for supporting these neighbours who wanted to make their street safer.

Residents planning similar tidy ups have come under enormous pressure to cancel them on the grounds that they are undermining strike action.I disagree, not least because these voluntary cleanups do not in any way replicate the crucial and skilled work usually undertaken by refuse workers.

I have given my support to the Cityclean staff objectively and thoughtfully, because I think they are right - not because of loyalty to an ideology or because their union holds any sway over me. That decision does not bind me in any way and nor does it preclude me from taking other action that I believe to be right, such as standing up for the reasonable rights of all my constituents.

As a public servant that is my duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

TinTower posted:

So Labour have come out in support of the Saatchi Bill.

There isn't a :negative: big enough.

Wow, I was completely unaware of this bill. Thanks for posting.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Hundreds of millions dead, 'impressive'.

Meh, the Roman empire was 'impressive', the British empire was 'impressive'. It's not a moral question of whether it was 'good' or not, just an acknowledgement of the remarkable accomplishment due to the size of the territories involved.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

Also, Mao was personally a very impressive individual in a lot of ways

dude was really sharp, also strong-willed, devious and charismatic

I was watching a documentary about your namesake last night, and apparently he whizzed through a three year law degree in a single year. Smart cookie.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

Oh yeah, Lenin was one of those people you can read and just *feel* the intelligence of. I very rarely feel completely out of my depth reading even very clever people, but reading Lenin is a very humbling experience. I think it's because he's not a really super cryptic (like Wittgenstein or many continentals) or especially dense in his prose (Hegel, looking at you), so he just lays his analysis open in a way that makes it look completely obvious without obscuring his work. He was very much a product of his time, but I think he might be my favourite prose writer from a reader's perspective - he just hits that sweet spot of sophistication, erudition and straightforwardness for me. More so than even guys like Sartre or Russel, for whatever reason.

Do you have any particular recommendations?

I was tempted to read "Left-Wing Communism, an Infantile Disorder", just because I found the title hilarious for a book written by Lenin, but should I start with something like The State and Revolution?

Edit: Beaten terribly.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 3, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

How can we deny the UN Rapporteur a visit? We're behaving like some jumped up dictatorship. :(

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

baka kaba posted:

No trolling in d&d

It's even worse than trolling - I actually still imagine we're in a world where people at the top do have an eye for upholding some rudimentary standards of decency. How silly of me.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

An interesting correlation suggested here between key dates of paedophile trials and bail extensions. He's suggesting the CPS were doing it to avoid juries seeing celebrities being let off without charge.

quote:

Mr Gambaccini was arrested on 29 October 2013 and police handed papers to the Crown Prosecution Service on 10 February 2014.

But it was not until 10 October 2014 that he was told no case was being brought against him, he said.

Mr Gambaccini told the committee that during that time his bail was extended on seven occasions with only "vague" explanations from police.

He said he gradually realised the dates often coincided with important developments in the Yewtree investigation.

Bail was extended on 2 May, when publicist Max Clifford was sentenced for historic indecent assaults, on 30 June, hours after the conviction of Rolf Harris, and on 12 September when former Stoke Mandeville doctor Michael Salmon appeared in court charged with rape, he said.

When his bail was extended to 15 September, he suspected a link to the trial of Dave Lee Travis, which was due to end on that date.

quote:

Giving evidence to the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, the former Radio 1 DJ said he believed he was used as human "fly paper" to encourage other people to come forward and make allegations against him.

He said he suspected his bail was repeatedly extended until the end of high-profile cases involving other celebrities because police did not want juries to hear a former Radio 1 DJ had been cleared of sexual wrongdoing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Maybe he should take more care filling out an online form for such an important document.

Ouch!

Solicitor? Discuss with local MP at their surgery? Complaints/appeals process?

For those of you get angry over executive pay, don't click this link about university vice chancellor's pay!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Speaking of government agencies intimidating people, I had an interview with the DWP yesterday, checking up on the fact that I'm claiming Carer's Allowance. Most of it was basically "No, I can't work a full time job as well as being a carer" and "No, the person I'm caring for isn't going to magically convalesce".

They really make it feel like they grudge giving you money.

While I'm sorry for your individual circumstances, I am glad that the DWP checks these things - don't forget that questions about convalescence may be relevant for some people, depending on the nature of the illness. It would bother me if they were rude and/or unprofessional about it.

I don't think they should harass claimants every five minutes, but I wouldn't expect them to keep paying over a period of years without ever checking up on the situation.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Jose posted:

I wonder who the US would install as dictator if communism ever did happen here

Blair.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

The broadcasters have called Cameron's bluff - they're now willing to move the debates to whenever suits the two leaders, including before the campaign kicks off.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

This Cage representative on This Week is a slippery, dangerous fucker. (Edit: Asim Qureshi)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

Refuses to disagree with all sorts of delightful things like FGM, homosexuality being a crime against humanity, stoning for adultery etc. Says he's not a theologian and can't answer. Worth watching the programme just to see Andrew Neil dismantling Cameron's debate stance at the beginning.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 6, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

StoneOfShame posted:

Question: If I am full-time employed and PAYE for a company yet have just started doing four weeks autistic mentoring at a primary school for which I will bill them at the end do I have to register as self employed for that/how does tax poo poo work with that at all?

Not an expert, but if it's just a one-off 4 weeks, then you shouldn't have to register as self employed. I would have thought it would be taxed as 'income not otherwise charged' - there's a tax return box for it.

I don't know whether you can get out of the tax return obligation (once you start, you can't stop) because the numbers are small, or if it's possible to ask HMRC to tweak your tax code for the year as an alternative.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

JFairfax posted:

pro tip - just move out without paying the last month's rent in lieu of receiving the deposit. problem solved.

Until your landlord gets lawyer-happy. Isn't there some sort of deposit protection arbitration thingy these days to help stop you getting screwed?

vv Commiserations!

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 6, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

winegums posted:

Take photos of all the damage and forward it to the landlord. Presumably you had to do an inventory when you moved in?

Actually, I have a question since we're on landlord chat. When we moved in to our semi-managed property (letting agent just used for inventory/money collection), the inventory was a sack of shite, even though it was apparently done by a professional inventory firm. There were loads of little damages that we picked up on and some of the descriptions in the inventory were just wrong (e.g. saying a room was tiled when it wasn't etc.)

As soon as we moved in, we marked up our comments on the inventory and sent it to the letting agent - they promptly replied and said "we don't accept any changes to the inventory". Are they actually allowed to ignore a tenant's comments to the inventory? They're hilariously incompetent in every way, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were trying it on.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Spangly A posted:

Lily Allen is a rich poo poo who hates paying taxes

Does anybody not hate paying taxes?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

Well yes, most sensible people don't hate it, because things like roads, electricity, education, clean water on tap (think about how amazing that actually is for a moment), sewage, making sure people don't die in the streets from disease or hunger, etc. etc. are actually really nice to have.

Yeah, I know all that, and I do pay my taxes like a good boy. Still doesn't make it any nicer to see a minus number on your payslip each month.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Our new Eurovision entry for 2015, in case anyone cares.

Edit: Also, Happy Commonwealth Day everybody. The Queen's Commonwealth message is here, for the even smaller number of people that will care. :)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 9, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Edit: ^^^ There's a common link between all those articles. :D

Darth Walrus posted:

There was this one bull terrier they had who was the sweetest, most gentle little guy you could imagine, but had to wear a muzzle whenever you took him out. He'd never attack people or other animals, see, but he had this habit of clamping onto trees, park benches, or railings, falling asleep, and not moving for hours. I was told by the staff about this one time he attached himself to a branch halfway up a tree and just hung there, peaceful as could be, until they bribed him down with biscuits.

One of my friends adopted a staffie with a disturbed background from a shelter. He had the same issue, except he got really distressed by it. He would go for a branch and clamp down, growling and whining, and getting more and more worked up into a frenzy the longer he hung there. It was exactly as you say - completely impossible to get him down, we couldn't pry his jaws open, pull him off etc. The only way he came down was if the branch did. Fortunately, after some years of normal ownership he's got over that phase. Apparently it's part of the training process for being a fighting dog - they train them to do that in order to strengthen their jaw muscles. :(

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Eurovision is amazing. Also this year we get to mock the one-off Australian entry, what's not to like about that?

If they win, do they get a bonus year because they have to host it?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 9, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

Citation very much needed.

The articles cites a University of Cambridge Centre for Family Research publication, but I can't find one that supports that conclusion (albeit from just reading the abstracts). I would also be interested in a citation.

That said, I do find the notion of your own mother giving birth to your son to be very odd and I share the article's sense of uneasiness over this guy. He's not in the situation of being a single parent following a breakup and he's only 26 - he has the best years of his life left to find a partner and set up a family. Instead, he's ordering a baby like you would order a pair of shoes, without any intention to establish a stable family unit. I'm amazed that IVF/surrogacy services are available to single people - as the article points out, it looks as if he has gone to court to bypass this safeguard.

Edit: vv Absolutely, I agree completely (I have no special attachment to marriage) - it's the notion that you can order a baby without any intention to raise it within the context of a loving parental relationship that bothers me, especially as the outcomes for children in single parent families can be suboptimal.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 10, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Also on behalf of my suboptimal children thank you for your concern but they're doing okay.

Edit: I've deleted this post - not sure if there's much to be gained by debating small points when it's quite hard to do it without accidentally offending people, especially about topics close to the heart.

Sorry for the use of the word suboptimal - I was trying to go for a relatively neutral word to avoid causing too much offence, but clearly have failed miserably. You'll note that I did use the words "can be" - I certainly didn't intend to imply that it's a foregone conclusion. I'm glad your children are doing ok. :ohdear:

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 10, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

An interesting poll today, showing that Scots are almost as strongly opposed to immigration as the rest of the UK. Only 27% of Scots believe immigration is good for the country.

quote:

The poll found that 49% wanted to see less immigration, exactly the same proportion as across Britain, and 15% said it should be stopped altogether.

This is in contrast to politicians at Holyrood who tend to agree that Scotland needs more skilled migrants.

In the YouGov/BBC poll just 5% said immigration should be increased - only slightly more than in England.

Some 27% of Scots said immigration was good for the country compared to 22% across Britain.

The poll suggested that 64% of people in Scotland wanted immigration reduced or stopped completely. The figure for Britain as a whole was 70%.

It found that women in Scotland were more likely to want immigration cut (69%) than men (60%).

I wonder when the SNP will start to change its policies to reflect voter's views? England's net immigration figures are three times higher than Scotland's as a percentage of population, even putting aside issues of land density, so UKIP are presenting the small differences as England being 'on the front line' of immigration.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 10, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

hookerbot 5000 posted:

There's not really enough information in the article but if they divorced and she got landed with sole or mostly custody of their kid while he was free to go and do whatever he wanted then it seems fair (though maybe more of a child support issue than a divorce one?).

It will be interesting to see whether he'd complied with his child support obligations over the years. If they were both living the hippie lifestyle though, maybe not. It does seem to violate the principle that the other partner should have contributed something to the success, whether that's through the maintenance of a home while the other partner is out working, or through working. That could be an American thing though.

He has quite an interesting background though. He started building his own wind turbines to power his caravan, then for other people, then set up Ecotricity when an existing power company laughed in his face at the idea of connecting one to the grid.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Clarkson is such a lovely human being, apparently he punched the producer because he didn't have dinner ready for him. "He just snapped!"

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

from the way the other two are acting i dont think its a big of a deal as the mirror is making out.

I suppose we have to remember that they're probably paid 'per episode' so might have a vested interest in playing things down?

Hilarious to see Old Stig whinging about the BBC's overreaction - pretty sure if most people punched a co-worker they'd be out on their ear in a flash. The job advert parody thing is brilliant.

Edit: The DUP will use parliamentary time later to call for an independent body to organise the TV debates. The article notes that they have more MPs than 4 out of the 7 parties currently invited, so I do have some sympathy for their position. It has been a complete shambles.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 11, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Is there a sector of the UK economy or job position where a UK employer HAS to take on a johnny foreigner over a pure patriotic white english person?
They are back tracking on his statements saying 'he meant nation not color', but for the life of me I cannot think of a job where an employer is forced to take lesser trained foreigners over local applicants.

I don't think he's arguing that businesses are forced to take foreigners on, rather that they're not allowed to discriminate against them. I.e. he wants businesses to be free to pick a Briton over a foreigner, even when they're equally qualified - I believe that sort of discrimination is forbidden at the moment.

He did explicitly rule out discriminating on race - is it really much more than an 'employ British' campaign? Do his comments about previous integration of Huguenots, Jews and Ugandan Asians compared to the non-integration of certain parts of the Muslim community carry any historical weight or is it bullshit?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I thought the usual kipper line was that Poles were doing the same work for less pay, thereby undercutting British workers (i.e. salary dumping, which is not a pretty phenomenon)- "bloody Poles coming over here and nicking all the jobs etc". Surely they should be in favour of anti-workplace discrimination laws.

I need to watch the whole program yet, but it looks like there are two separate questions/responses that are being conflated:

Issue 1 - Farage would like to discriminate against foreign nationals - basically Gordon Brown's "British jobs for British workers" campaign, with some actual teeth behind it.

Issue 2 - He was asked whether he would repeal anti discrimination laws and he said yes, because he thinks young Britons today are 'colour blind' (lol).

I don't think he sees number 2 as a way to achieve number 1, just that they both came up in the same TV programme.

The repeal of anti-discrimination laws makes me quite uncomfortable, but I don't have a problem with UKIP stating they would have a policy of prioritising British citizens for jobs. It's been a common (and politically acceptable) mantra for politicians for years, just like Buy British - he's just the first one who actually means it as something more than a platitude and is honest about the incompatibility of prioritising British over foreign employment with retaining EU membership.

Disclaimer: I'm pro-EU so obviously don't support his position, but he seems to be getting a beating over it compared to previous politicians who've said the same things.

vv Or if he wins 50. The look on Cameron's face would be priceless.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 12, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

gorki posted:

What if someone can't afford phone credit because they're in a financial hole as a result of a previous sanction?

Just a requirement to have the phone I think - presumably so you can receive calls for work at short notice.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

it's not like atlas shrugged is on school reading lists or read by anybody other than libertarian turbonerds who think wearing bow ties makes them look sophisticated, i don't really think it's doing a whole lot of damage to the world

Political viewpoints aside, is it actually worth reading? Aka well written?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Haha, I laughed. Thanks everyone, I shall continue to steer well clear.

Edit: Ooh, question time on iplayer with Natalie Bennett. Let's see how she does...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 12, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

So far she's not doing very well at all. She's just getting lost in the crowd a bit.

Ian Hislop is giving her quite a hard time repeatedly.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

That was interesting, thanks.

It also reminded me - did anyone else somehow magically learn the racist version of eeny meeny miny moe in their childhood? I grew up saying it that way without ever particularly realising what it meant, and as far as I can remember that was true across the various schools I attended in my childhood. A straw poll of some of my friends (albeit not ones in the South-East) showed similar experiences. I had some sympathy with Clarkson on that particular issue, because I've started out with the rhyme once or twice and ended up having to clumsily abort halfway through when my brain caught up.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 13, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

secular Jew

Is that a contradiction in terms?

Huh, apparently not.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 13, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Looks like Rudyard Kipling referenced the rhyme in a poem.

It's a bit long to post it all, but the first two verses:

code:
 A Counting-Out Song

What is the song the children sing,
When doorway lilacs bloom in Spring,
And the Schools are loosed, and the games are played
That were deadly earnest when Earth was made?
Hear them chattering, shrill and hard,
After dinner-time, out in the yard,
As the sides are chosen and all submit
To the chance of the lot that shall make them "It."
    (Singing) "Eenee, Meenee, Mainee, Mo!
                   Catch a friend of the family by the toe!
                   (If he hollers let him go!
                   Eenee, Meenee. Mainee, Mo!
                        You-are-It!"

Eenee, Meenee, Mainee, and Mo
Were the First Big Four of the Long Ago,
When the Pole of the Earth sloped thirty degrees,
And Central Europe began to freeze,
And they needed Ambassadors staunch and stark
To steady the Tribes in the gathering dark:
But the frost was fierce and flesh was frail,
So they launched a Magic that could not fail.
    (Singing) "Eenee, Meenee, Mainee, Mo!
                    Hear the wolves across the snow!
                    Some one has to kill 'em--so 
                    Eenee, Meenee, Mainee, Mo
                         Make--you--It!"

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

So going by this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11472112/Jeremy-Clarkson-punched-producer-and-called-him-lazy-Irish.html

Jeremy Clarkson turned up two hours late after holding up an expensive helecopter, drunk, demanding his dinner, spouting racism and then he punched the man he was being racist to. 800,000 people demanding he be renstated and saying it's political correctness gone mad.

Lol, so apparently he's still planning to deny he punched the guy in his disciplinary, but somehow the producer had to go to A&E. Does not compute. Even harsher since they were so late most of the crew had gone to bed, but the producer stayed up to greet them. I'd love to see an assault charge.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Which would be smart on his part since the BBC has been quietly demoting and pushing out the journalists who blew the whistle about Jimmy Savile.

Please tell me this isn't true!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

gently caress. This is the Most Depressing Thread sometimes.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

tentish klown posted:

But of course, it's not their fault. It's never their fault. Or their parents fault.

I'm speaking from a position of privilege of course, but it seems to have become deeply unfashionable in the chattering classes to acknowledge that parents or children have any sort of agency and therefore can be assigned any blame for underachievement. I'm not sure it's a healthy way to approach the problem in the long run.

Yes, little Jimmy may have been kicking the shins of his teacher in primary school, but it's not his fault, because his parents never set any boundaries for him. His parents haven't set any boundaries for him because they're too busy to spend any time with him due to the zero hours jobs they're holding down. In fact, society's to blame for creating the socio-economic conditions that led to this situation - little Jimmy was, in fact, destined to be a poo poo.

I'm not sure that sort of analysis feels very comfortable, not least because we'll all know people who grew up in desperate poverty but somehow managed to give appropriate boundaries and produce well behaved offspring.

As it's much easier to fix a child or parent's behaviour than it is to change society (insert full communism now mention), it does raise the spectre of more radical state intervention into the lives of our most underachieving children as the only way to drag them up to minimum standards.

Larry_Mullet posted:

It comes from putting kids into school too young and letting some loving PRIMARY SCHOOL TEACHER tell them they're naughty and bad and wrong because of the environment that they grew up in. If you're 4 years old and you go to school, all you are is a product of your home environment and you're judged by teachers like you're some kind of completely self aware adult and this never stops, so they're constantly, every day, going to a place where the people in charge of them have the most negative opinion of them. We behave so differently based on peoples expectations of us and a LOT of boys go through the education system feeling that they're just a waste of space.

I found this point really compelling. However, from the perspective of the teacher, what are they supposed to do other than try and set the boundaries not set in the home environment? Not doing so simply destroys the learning environment for everyone else.

Larry_Mullet posted:

Also, a lot of the messing about comes from trying to impress girls.
QFT.

Larry_Mullet posted:

Also, school is properly loving poo poo. How does it take 14 years to teach the most malliable, hungry minds long(3 digit) multiplication? And even then, come GCSE it's only the top groups that are even expected to do long multiplication. How low are the schooling standards honestly??

This is really sad. :(

According to Sheffield University, a fifth of pupils leaving school after GCSE are functionally illiterate and innumerate. It's outrageous and should be a national scandal.

quote:

Although literacy in primary schools is a key focus, the emphasis can be lost in secondary schools, according to the study, which revealed that nearly one-fifth of 16 to 19-year-olds have a reading age at or below 11. This means their maths skills are limited to little more than basic arithmetic - putting the UK at a higher rate of innumeracy than many other industrialised countries.

In addition, 17% of 16- to 19-year-olds are functionally illiterate, meaning they cannot handle much more than straightforward questions and would not understand allusion or irony.

I'm pretty sure I remember a figure of a fifth for primary school leavers as well, so perhaps we're dealing with the same tranche working their way through the school system and being utterly unaffected by it.

Are there any teachers in the thread?

Ddraig posted:

My sister has been suspended from school for a week because she, with another girl, had built up a black market empire flogging crisps and drinks to kids who were tired of hummus and carrot batons for snacks.

I don't know if I should be proud or what.

Totally, she sounds awesome. Didn't some of our most famous entrepreneurs start off by doing similar things? gently caress your school for calling it contraband! I don't think I would have made it through school without my morning pack of mini cookies.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

oh well that's ok then

Now now, you know I wasn't saying it's a good thing people are poor - simply that personal circumstances shouldn't absolve the parents or children of all responsibility for their conduct.

• Locked thread