Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

redshirt posted:

I knew this lady in Boston who bought her "condo" (read: Crappy 1 bed room apartment) for 150K in 2002 to then sell it in 2007 for 350K. Hard to laugh at those numbers.

Only now it's valued at 250K and the people who bought it at the height of a once-in-a-lifetime bubble are $100,000 underwater. It's easy to laugh at that number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

I knew this lady in Boston who bought her "condo" (read: Crappy 1 bed room apartment) for 150K in 2002 to then sell it in 2007 for 350K. Hard to laugh at those numbers.

More people problem lost money on their condo "investment" properties especially if they bought in Miami or Phoenix during the bubble.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i would live in that clear cube thing but i bet its super expensive. im only 1 dude and that would be sweet. if its clean like that who wouldnt live there if youre single?

i wouldnt raise a family there, theyd be little shits like the kid who got slapped on the slap

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Only now it's valued at 250K and the people who bought it at the height of a once-in-a-lifetime bubble are $100,000 underwater. It's easy to laugh at that number.

Maybe. That neighborhood (Fenway) is still pretty hot, but yeah your general principle stands.

That said, this redneck I went to High School with is a multimillionaire today because he flipped houses from 1997-2007 and then stopped and its like, drat. Genius.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

Maybe. That neighborhood (Fenway) is still pretty hot, but yeah your general principle stands.

That said, this redneck I went to High School with is a multimillionaire today because he flipped houses from 1997-2007 and then stopped and its like, drat. Genius.

For every person who made it big in real estate "investments" you probably have 10-20 who are underwater or lost piles of money.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

etalian posted:

For every person who made it big in real estate "investments" you probably have 10-20 who are underwater or lost piles of money.

I'm sure. But this redneck is living HIGH now, let me tell you.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In general, living under your means is probably a good thing in the long run.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't want to own a house. I want to die. I live in such a way that death is inevitable before i can ever rise to own anything of significant value.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

hemophilia posted:

I don't want to own a house. I want to die. I live in such a way that death is inevitable before i can ever rise to own anything of significant value.

Don't get too down on yourself. Your organs would probably fetch a significant price on the black market.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

unassertive boy 99 posted:

and indebt yourself for 30 YEARS for 500k like an idiot

lol 500k where do you live where you can get a house (worth living in) that cheap?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

trade for tickets to a nascar weekend

that way you know everything is gonna swipe left

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

SpelledBackwards posted:

OP you forgot to copy in this image which I found in another thread on page 1 about computer nerd virgins.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Only place we permanently allow people to live in trailers is gypsy camps. Is life really worth living if your neighbours are gypsies? (no).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

NihilismNow posted:

Only place we permanently allow people to live in trailers is gypsy camps. Is life really worth living if your neighbours are gypsies? (no).

but you'd be a gypsy too and probably under one of their spells of stealing your wallet or something

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Sic Semper Goon posted:

You're crazy, man. The worn trail of millions of suburb dwellers is the one true path.

1. Graduate uni while binge drinking and engaging in general hedonism.
2. Boring job you hate, but are powerless to do anything about.
3. MORTGAGE!!!! MARRIAGE!!!!!!
4. Acquire debt by the tried and true 200%* model. (I recommend an SUV you can't actually drive.)
5. Have ugly, stupid kids who hate you.
6. Sink into a complete quagmire of entitlement, NIMBY, and vague discontent.
7. Get the inevitable divorce/bankruptcy.
8. Nursing home, whilst said kids are on the very same conveyor belt you are on.
9. Death.

What man or woman could resist such a vision of paradise?

* = Whatever your yearly earnings, take out twice the amount in debt. It is irrelevant what you spend the debt money on.

im sorry you grew up in a broken household

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't have any debt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't have any debt.

feels good

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm just waiting for the job market to improve. Because steady positions are hard to comeby but I've built up an impressive resume and did freelance work inbetween.

I applied to a job position that I didn't even want, and I wound up being one of the top candidates out of a few hundred people. But it was such poo poo work that I don't envy the person who beat me to it.

Anyways that's my biggest gripe.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Hm yes let me commit to a highly illiquid, long-term, and leveraged investment all for the security blanket of *~home-ownership*~

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hm yes let me commit to a highly illiquid, long-term, and leveraged investment all for the security blanket of *~home-ownership*~

If you still rent you haven't obtained real adulthood and responsibility.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You can take out a 25 year mortgage and pay it off within 2-3 years.

it's not unfeasible, you just need more than a minimum wage job.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Renting makes sense if its cheap and you don't have much money.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Sic Semper Goon posted:

You're crazy, man. The worn trail of millions of suburb dwellers is the one true path.

1. Graduate uni while binge drinking and engaging in general hedonism.
2. Boring job you hate, but are powerless to do anything about.
3. MORTGAGE!!!! MARRIAGE!!!!!!
4. Acquire debt by the tried and true 200%* model. (I recommend an SUV you can't actually drive.)
5. Have ugly, stupid kids who hate you.
6. Sink into a complete quagmire of entitlement, NIMBY, and vague discontent.
7. Get the inevitable divorce/bankruptcy.
8. Nursing home, whilst said kids are on the very same conveyor belt you are on.
9. Death.

What man or woman could resist such a vision of paradise?

* = Whatever your yearly earnings, take out twice the amount in debt. It is irrelevant what you spend the debt money on.

freedom reigns

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Every person who I know who has rented never takes care of their property and it all winds up looking like a poo poo dump.

If a tree falls in the renting person's yard it stays there and they don't even pay a guy to haul it away.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

Renting makes sense if its cheap and you don't have much money.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Every person who I know who has rented never takes care of their property and it all winds up looking like a poo poo dump.

If a tree falls in the renting person's yard it stays there and they don't even pay a guy to haul it away.

Maybe you just know horrible people?

Also lolling at how you think hauling away tree should be the renter responsibility.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I want a $350,000 mortgage loan which I will pay off in 10 years.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
buying land owns

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

etalian posted:

Maybe you just know horrible people?

Also lolling at how you think hauling away tree should be the renter responsibility.

No you've just proven why all rented properties look like poo poo heaps.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol if you bought a home not in Iowa, or on the coasts.

Abloo bloo its $400K for a $800 sq foot falling apart ~historic~ home in MA.

Failure.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

unassertive boy 99 posted:

Fear not, for there are styles to suit every need and preference

Under 60k:

Still think you can't be happy without the cookie cutter shitbox in the 'burbs???

I'd jump all over one of those in a heartbeat, but I live in a UK National Park area. They throw a shitfit if somebody decides to paint their house another colour, so I think I can count something like that out.

The Taint Reaper posted:

If it fell in my yard, I would be all over it with a chainsaw. Never turn down free fuel.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 1, 2015

DGib
Jan 22, 2010
lol @ anyone who wants to actually own anything

i cant respect a person who owns a house or a car because theyre hivemind trash

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

5-HT posted:

im sorry you grew up in a broken household

lol @ you defending your disgusting life choices

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Soylent Yellow posted:

If it fell in my yard, I would be all over it with a chainsaw. Never turn down free fuel.

This is what wound up happening when we talked to our other neighbors.

They acted amazed that nobody wanted to cut up the tree and take parts of it for heating/grilling. So they wound up being the ones who took it away.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

next thing i'm buyin is a plot of land and a bigger one. i'll never buy a structure somebody else built again

"I'm going to own land and put a man-made vehicle built to live in on it. LMAO if you own land and a man-made structure built to live in on it!"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Taint Reaper posted:

They acted amazed that nobody wanted to cut up the tree and take parts of it for heating/grilling. So they wound up being the ones who took it away.

One thing adult life has taught me is that wood is expensiiiiiiiiiiive. I had no idea. It literally grows on trees what the gently caress?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

goons want everyone to live in someone's basement/a leased mobile home-sized kit house that costs less than a year's worth of ssdi because then maybe their lifestyle will be validated/won't look as pathetic vs everyone else

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

goons want everyone to live in someone's basement/a leased mobile home-sized kit house that costs less than a year's worth of ssdi because then maybe their lifestyle will be validated/won't look as pathetic vs everyone else

nobody is going to remember you when you die

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

etalian posted:

Basically beginning of the loan is mainly interest payments to the bank:

nnnope. I don't have a poo poo mortgage apparently?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hackbunny posted:

nnnope. I don't have a poo poo mortgage apparently?

the example is for a 30 year fixed loan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's a high speed game of chicken between "I don't own this place, gently caress it!" and "I don't live in this place, gently caress it!"

• Locked thread