Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Repost of Spoilers from 3/2/15

Mechanics:

Maro's card:

Dragonlord Mythic:

Sidisi, No Longer Brood Tyrant

Dragon Tribal Enchantment:

Rebound Rare:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I just assumed the "Elder Dragon" type was an Easter Egg for nerds like me that like that kind of thing. :confused:

Also, good job to WOTC making it obvious which Djinn can fly and which can't. :negative:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there going to be anything special given out during pax east this weekend? Friend's going and wanted to know.

I think there's a pin or something. They normally give out some postcards or pins or something like that at MTG panels.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

On that note, this is a reminder for the new thread that Silumgar's necklace is Tasigur's dead rear end body.

He's basically Jabba, except creepier.

Bugsy posted:

More so for the other posters, but I completely understand. I had a Chromium which was the only Elder Dragon I even opened form a pack. Still wish I had it, as buying a new one isn't the same. Tacking Elder onto these very young dragons just feels unnecessary to me. The original five were special this just feels tacked on for some free nostalgia credit, despite having no connection the originals.

I imagine they were thrown onto the DTK versions whenever they decided to make 2 version of the same dragon in FRF/DTK.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I can't wait for Zurgo, Bell-Ringer to be a 2/2 or something equally as wussy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Nah it's just the mandatory goofy do-nothing red rare enchantment.

I think its there to be the thing that pisses you off when you open it in draft. Granted, I could be wrong, but WOTC doesn't seem too keen on dragons that cost less than 5 CMC anyways, so I just assume it will be too hard to really build a limited deck around the type.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So who killed Sidisi? Has that been explained? Are all the Khans going to be undead (or dead) besides Narset?

Its just the Silumgar/Sultai who make zombies. Surrak, the Hunt Caller is (apparently) alive, and we know for a fact that Zurgo, the Bell-Ringer is alive (and way less badass).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

So far all we know is that Sidisi is a zombie sidekick, Zurgo has been demoted from helm-smashing to bell-ringing and Narset has glowy eyes. No word on Annie or Surrak Bear-Botherer yet.

Surrak, the Hunt Caller is referenced on the alternate-art Ugin's Fate cards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

I apparently missed pages of argument over new Sidisi, so I'll just say that upon first look, she seems loving awesome and I can't wait to text her out. 4/6 Deathtouch for 5 is already very solid value, and the exploit makes her nuts, especially post board when your deck is potentially full of silver bullets.

The white 7cmc return permanent to battlefield I'm less hot on, as that's an expensive cost for a not very consistent effect. It's not easy to manipulate your graveyard to have 2 permanents worth that cost.

Are new Silumgar and old Silumgar affected by the Legendary rule?

No. The Legendary rule requires the same English-equivalent name. Unlike the Planeswalker rule, the Legendary rule doesn't care about type.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

How ironic that Scrooge McDragon is probably a dollar mythic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

I want to think that the shortcut is useful somewhere or that there might be a card with both megamorph and morph at some point.

Unfortuantely, I think the real answer is they wanted to use the Morph mechanic in a way in which they'd be able to argue it was actually a different ability rather than "we used Morph again."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/days-future-future-fate-reforged-2015-02-27
Whenever they post FFL decklists I always wonder how much it's warped by things having different stats or mana costs or what have you in development. Some of their lists just look obviously weird. A UB control deck that runs Temporal Tresspass and Worst Fears but only 2 Dig Through Time?

I think its just the perils of having a "league" which is basically like 10 guys. The choices they make are all influenced by their own internal meta and there's no real way to get a fresh take other than playing the same dudes.

Its interesting to see them though since some of them include cards that never made it to print - Gavin's UB Control list is running Cruel Edict, which hasn't actually been printed since Tenth Edition.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 2, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So they had Cruel Edict and cut it?

There's a note that it says it was cut, which makes me sad since I like Edict effects a lot. I imagine it was cut to let stuff like the Heroic cards have a chance (since Cruel Edict would basically eliminate the Heroic decks from existing). Its possible they thought it ran too much into Merciless Executioner.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Edict probably got replaced by the Flashbag Marauder reprint.

It's interesting that they apparently are able to make some pretty good guesses at the rough outlines of what the top archetypes will be, they just get a lot of fundamental stuff wrong in their builds. Which is fine. I mean, they're not trying to predict the exact pro tour lists, they just want to have some idea of what the format is going to look like and if any particular cards or strategies are just too good.

I like hearing the FFL stories they tell and things that caused cards to get cut from the set. That was how Warleader's Helix ended up in DGM - the card was a Lightning Helix reprint, and then everyone in the FFL started running UWR with Helix and Snapcaster Mage and then they said, "let's not print this." They already had the card art ready to go, so they designed a less playable version last minute that would be able to use Lightning Helix art, but not be Lightning Helix.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its supposed to say "miniature Jeskai banners for others."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

It will never be Athreos' s time to shine

Its just a dumb tax card. You just pay the 3 life if they're trying to recur Merciless Executioner, or anything else even vaguely good.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

FRF was 100% out development's hands by the time KTK premiered in the real world, based on what they've said about the process in the past.

I'm pretty sure the issue is that development over-values extra turns. Time Warp is not a busted card.

Yawgmoth posted:

So, rules question. If I cast final fortune, can I sundial the "you lose the game" part of it away? How about stifle? One of my friends has a stiflenaught deck and is planning on putting FF in and wanted to make sure. It doesn't seem like it should since it's a spell effect, but the good folks at MTGS tell him it's a delayed trigger.

Its a delayed trigger. I'm not sure why you couldn't Stifle it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm like 99% sure you can Stifle it; there's nothing that prevents Stifle from countering a delayed trigger vs. any other trigger. The only difference is the source of the trigger.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If you really want to gently caress with your opponents, start a turn with 5 lands, one of which is Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and the rest of which are are Forests and Islands. Use Nissa, Worldwaker to animate Urborg and then cast Turn to Frog on Urborg. Play a sixth land (a forest or island) and then tap all of your lands, including the one you just played, for black mana and cast Hero's Downfall on your opponent's creature.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What, was it like literally being printed when KTK came out? I know they finalize cards way before they're released, but I don't see what would stop them making an emergency change.

Whether it was physically printed or not, at some point the printers themselves have to typeset and get all the cards ready to print, which take a long time itself and the cards can't just be changed at that point.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

Read through the timeline here.

Edit: The section that's titled "so how did gottlieb know it was broken?" Or read the whole article, it's pretty interesting.

The part where Mirrodin has just come out, and development is sitting around going, "gently caress gently caress gently caress what are we gonna do about skullclamp?!" and then just hoping nobody notices is really funny in retrospect. It probably wasn't funny at the time because it was loving Mirrodin block and they already had hosed up with a full cycle of artifact lands.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I do like the fact that in that article they act like cards being way too good, ruining the format and then getting banned is part of the fun of Magic: the Gathering.

"Part of the excitement of building decks with new cards should be the idea that R&D might have missed something, and you could be the one to rub our faces in it[. . .] who knows if the next card that deserves to be banned is another five years away, or right under your nose in Fifth Dawn? Hopefully you'll all enjoy the search."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Interestingly, the complaints about Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are pretty bad comparisons to Skullclamp, Memory Jar, etc. Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time aren't broken in any way in Standard. They don't have a testing league for Modern, Legacy or Vintage at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I am utterly failing to understand this. If I have 5 lands including Urborg in play, why can't I just tap three of them and play Downfall?

Because animated Urborg has become 1/1 and lost all abilities due to being the target of a resolved Turn to Frog. "Until end of turn, target creature loses all abilities and becomes a blue Frog with base power and toughness 1/1."

The actual result of this is that all lands, including your lands you play later in the turn after Urborg has become a frog, including Urborg itself, are still Swamps, however Urborg does not have the ability “Each land is a Swamp in addition to its other land types.” Your other lands can tap for B because they are Swamps; Urborg cannot tap for B, despite being a Swamp.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

That's a standard playable dray-go I think, but maybe its not as good as Ashcloud? Seems like it could be good with something like OG Kolaghan.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dragons that breathe lightning are strictly better than other dragons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

This card seems really good for what red normally gets, but I think Ashcloud might still be more playable in standard. I guess it comes down to whether a 2/2 body that becomes more relevant late game is better or worse than a lightning strike(s) to the face.

The problem is that flipping up a Ashcloud isn't always a profitable thing to do. That is not to suggest this guy is in fact better, but its a consideration.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

STiL. posted:

To add content about the new Dragon, I don't think anyone would be surprised if it sees play but it's fairly evident that it won't be the only reason to be playing Dragons. I suppose it's a sign of the times that an aggresively-costed card like that fits into the old 'uncommon' niche in deckbuilding; cards that supplemented a deck's plan by being solid but not being the actual 'engine' cards. Except nowadays our supplemental cards are 4/4 fliers for 4 with a really good ability.

Its fringe playable by itself, but it wouldn't go in a deck that doesn't already have Stormbreath Dragon in it.

Whether this is actually better than Ashcloud Pheonix or not depends on what your average value is from Ashcloud. Most of the time for me I'd say Ashcloud dies, then never flips.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

So you got a 4/1 flier that leaves behind a 2/2 token when it dies.

That's pretty good value for a red 4 drop.

The question is whether that's better than a 4/4 that bolts someone when it dies. By itself I'd say no, but combined?

As for the new card, I feel like for a rare it should be"exile target multicolored permanent."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I kind of like how all the removal in Standard these days is pretty efficient, but pretty specific, so you really have to make a meta call on what combination of Hero's Downfalls, Bile Blights, Lightning Strikes, Valorous Stances, Banishing Lights, Murderous Cuts, etc. you run with.

Hero's Downfall is the most generic removal spell I can think of that isn't Vindicate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm gonna laugh when Planeswalker Narset turns out to be Grixis and super evil as gently caress.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I'm intrigued that they were this concerned with avoiding the relatively rare cases of this being able to move multicolored artifacts or multicolored planeswalkers.

I was told by others that its because White is not allowed to remove Planeswalkers. Despite the fact that Banishing Light totally lets you do that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Incredibly useless looking "Mythic"

:siren: NEW COMMAND CYCLE :siren:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

repost for new page:

Incredibly useless looking "Mythic"

:siren: NEW COMMAND CYCLE :siren:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Beaten on the Intro dudes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Wow what a terrible loving Mythic.

Commands are fun and exciting, but this one is pretty low power imo

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I don't think the Shaman is bad if your deck is basically all creatures, Fyndhorn Elder is a fine card. If not though, yeah it's pretty useless.

That Mythic is worse in every real way than Elvish Mystic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaan posted:

The ojutai style guide must say "make sure a bunch of djinns and poo poo are just hanging out."

There's a dragon, but it looks less like a Dragon is actually there and more they're all standing in front of a big Dragon flag.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

Elvish Mystic can't win the game on the spot against low-creature control decks?

Hordeling Outburst says hi.

This card will never win the game on the spot against anyone ever, let's not get crazy

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

Why not?

It costs 11 mana, he can't use his own mana to trigger it and the ability even being good is totally conditional on you having better creatures than your opponent. The card is green, green has the worst removal ever. Even if you rip it out in a Nykthos deck, if you got to 11 you were already winning and probably would rather have something better on the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

It's not priced too high for a Devotion deck, IMO.

If you are getting to 11 devotion you almost assuredly would rather play something more impactful than a guy that gives you 1 devotion and does practically nothing else until you hit 11 and then when he does, doesn't necessarily win you the game. You're better off just Monstrousing a Polukranos for 11 and wiping their board and then attacking for more because Polukranos is actually a good card at all times.

• Locked thread