Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Internet Kraken posted:

Those kind of fights show up a lot in RPGs. Usually the enemy destroys you so thoroughly you'll think "oh, guess I can't win". A game is really trolling you when it seems like you CAN win but its pointless.

The worst is when you have limited resources and you use them up only to discover that it was pointless. Like, you go through your entire stash of health potions, die, and the game carries on and you realise the correct way to play it was to not use any health potions at all and save them for when they'll actually be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Anyway, a conversation about dickish adventure games isn't complete without King's Quest, the game where you have to tell the character to swim when you enter water. That's one of those cases where I don't know if it was just an odd design choice, but the first game also lets you pull a rock and crush yourself if you don't move it from the correct side.
You could pretty much make an entire thread dedicated to King's Quest. They get less dickish as they go on, but are still terrible, and the early ones were deliberately designed to get people to call the hint-line and/or buy the hint book. There are puzzles that are basically unsolveable, there are puzzles where doing (or not doing) something much earlier in the game will kill you (often without making it clear what your error was) and there are puzzles that combine both.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

You also have one chance to select the correct lamp from a seller, out of five choices. If you've been paying close attention to cut scenes you can probably figure out what to do, but if you happen to select the wrong one there's no way to exchange it. It'll just sit in your inventory for the rest of the game, useless.

I thought you could swap lamps as many times as you liked, it's just that if you have the wrong one when you enter the palace then you're hosed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

More vidya game trolling: Deus Ex: HR's multiple endings. The game is full of opportunities to handle situations in different ways, with different paths and slightly different outcomes. Then you get to the end and you have four options on a dialogue wheel. They are all available without regard to any previous choice, and they all result in a very similar ending cutscenes that are mostly static images. It's not as bad as Mass Effect's ending, but it was a pretty limp-wristed way to give players multiple endings in the style of Dues Ex 1.

Doesn't the original Deus Ex work in exactly the same way? Invisible War too, for that matter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

im pooping! posted:

I have like 15 early access games on my Steam wishlist but I'm too pussy to buy any of them, and frankly I'm contributing to the problem by not giving them money.

What problem are you contributing to?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I wouldn't count that as a "troll", but at the same time, I absolutely love when games take pointless pot shots at the competition like that, like how Duke Nukem 3D had various FPS protagonists' corpses hidden throughout the game.

I know the Doom space marine was in there, but were there others?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Crafting will make stronger items than you can ever buy.

This always annoys me in games, because I find crafting really tedious at best. Usually I completely ignore it, or at most bother with one small aspect of it (eg. in Skyrim I use alchemy, but only to make mana and healing potions). It's almost like a whole other game grafted on for no reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xibanya posted:

I don't believe any of you on this holy grail nonsense. It sounds too perfect, like that Pokemon Black copypasta.

It's not even an isolated incident. For a while there was an actual trend of lovely "joke" games where the only real joke was on you for paying money for them. What might sound funny in theory actually makes them incredibly obnoxious to play, and even the ones made by actual decent comedians ended up being worthless garbage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Byde posted:

gee its like theres no such thing as a 'so bad its good' game because you have to suffer through it

No, there are "so bad it's good" games, it just has to be something other than the actual gameplay mechanics that's bad. Plenty of games have really dumb stories or badly-written characters that are fun to laugh at. They can even be worth playing if the gameplay is merely uninteresting, as long as the other elements are worth it. A film where the audio was so badly done that you couldn't understand what anyone was saying wouldn't be so bad it's good, because it's just impossible to consume as intended. Badly designed mechanics can bring a game down in the same way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

It was that awkward time when RPGs first started using voice acting and everyone still hadn't quite ironed out all the kinks. Still better than how Final Fantasy X handled it, where it has voice acting and they still let you name Tidus whatever you want so you play through the game and its sequel with the script awkwardly written so he's never referred to by name.

Also Dragon Age: Origins and Skyrim. Sure, you can pick a name, but everyone's just going to call you Grey Warden/Dragonborn all the time anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

I don't know why people give a poo poo about character designers
They're often the most fun part of the game. I actually want someone to make a game that's basically just a character designer with tons of clothing options. Build a bunch of characters then just pose them in a scene and you're done. That's the whole game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Fuse is free, now. It's literally just a character creator. I don't know how good it is but it's there. Saints Row 3 and 4 also have a demo that is nothing but the character creators.

I knew about the Saints Row character creators and have spent a bit of time messing around with those, but I hadn't heard of Fuse before. It looks pretty cool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Just play the sims, man

I do. It's OK, but it's still pretty limited.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I like fashion designer games but the vast majority are pay-to-play shovelware for android or really lovely puzzle - type games. It seems like games that are predominantly meant for women or girls are the worst when it comes to p2p poo poo, I'm assuming because they figure those demographics don't know any better and will pay 2.99 for 5 different types of socks to wear

I don't think it's so much that that demographic don't know any better, it's just that there isn't much serious competition. For some reason companies just don't bother putting any effort into those games, so there ends up being very little difference between say, an official Barbie dress-up game and something one person put together in an afternoon. The only real exception is The Sims, so if The Sims isn't quite what you're looking for then there's not really anywhere else to go except to lovely Android and Flash games. Or creepy anime poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

If Fallout 4 is like previous Gamebryo games, the console command "qqq" quits immediately and without confirmation in a way that tends to bypass crashes. The same thing happened to me with Oblivion for a while.

Is there an actual reason to prefer this? If you're ready to stop playing a game and it crashes, what have you lost?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

A couple of the later old-school King's Quest games did this too - one of them (5 or 6 I think?) had a "here's the cool runic language of the bird people!" section of the manual that you had to look at to do a climbing puzzle like 2/3 of the way through the game.

Yeah, that's 6.

The original Civilization has a similar thing where at a certain point you get quizzed on the tech tree and if you answer wrong then your entire army gets disbanded. I kind of liked it because (depending on what was going on at the time) you could often recover from it, and if you'd played the game enough you'd just know the answer. Also, it gave you two chances, which was nice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This comes up a lot in RPGs since pen-and-paper games do it all the time. Of course, not many of those have a race that's just "black people", but things still get uncomfortable.

Where it's really noticeable is when they deliberately try to draw parallels to real-world racism. Like, you're supposed to think this guy is an arsehole because he says dwarfs are naturally bad at magic and that's just stupid prejudice... except that it says right in character creation that dwarfs get a 20% penalty to magic

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

foobardog posted:

Sure, today some of us would probably complain about it being biased towards heterosexuality and against non-binary people, as well as transphobic (I think your genitals are also determined by this choice). But for 1986, it was pretty drat good!
Let's be honest here, it's still a lot better than what most games do. There are obviously games where the protagonist has to be a specific person because who they are is an important part of the story, but there are so many games that could easily have the option to choose your character's race and gender that just don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lifts in Duke Nukem 3D were pretty cool. Because that game couldn't actually have one area directly over another, it simulated it by making the lifts teleporters. Two identical rooms, you press the button in one and seamlessly teleport to the other, while a lift noise plays and the screen shakes a bit, then the door opens and you're somewhere else. Playing the game you'd never know how it worked, but it was a clever trick, I thought.

• Locked thread