Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Anyway, a conversation about dickish adventure games isn't complete without King's Quest, the game where you have to tell the character to swim when you enter water. That's one of those cases where I don't know if it was just an odd design choice, but the first game also lets you pull a rock and crush yourself if you don't move it from the correct side.

There's a similar thing in Space Quest II. You have to swim into a cave to get a gem, but you have to tell the character to hold his breath first. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to tell him to breathe when he gets out of the water as well.

There's stuff in all of the Space Quest games that are worthy of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

You don't have to tell him to breath, the important part is to tell him to take a deep breath. I can't believe I actually beat that game without a guide as a kid.

Also that game has a huge gently caress-you in that if you get kissed by a random alien about three quarters thought he game an alien will burst out your chest in the last frame of the game giving you a game over. Hope you have a save far enough back.

Oh, ok. Either I'm remembering incorrectly or the version I played was different to yours. To be fair I haven't played any Space Quest games in years.

I remember that alien part. Looking back it should have been obvious because that alien looks like the xenomorph in Alien.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Early adventure games were very unforgiving, after the Atari ST in my youth I decided to re-invest in early ports from DOS to Windows in the mid-90's when my family got our first PC. I remember buying Space Quest IV and there was a zombie type character who'd kill you if you stayed in the area for too long. No matter how much you slowed the game down it was very hard to do, everything you had to do without escaping it ends in rampage. If anything, slowing the game down made it harder in some aspects as it made Roger move slower but progression was a little more possible.

The biggest dick move was that this zombie type character was present at the very first moment you started the game. No matter how much you move and try to do anything he will be there and gently caress you over unless you know what you are doing. You want to figure out how to solve a puzzle and move past an area? No! Even a slight mistake will end the game barely before you've began to even figure it out! The old try anything on everything is out of the window. As soon as he shows up you need to run the hell out or he'll kill you which is normally a few seconds upon arriving at that location.

SQ IV seems to be at the end of the unforgiving adventure game period, but to have a perma-death character right from the start is just a total dick move.

IIRC Space Quest IV was notorious for tying the game's timing to the CPU cycles, not the system clock. This meant that if you played it on a computer much faster than one it was originally designed to work on, there were a few spots where it's pretty much impossible to progress because zombies or time cops come and shoot you pretty much straight away before you can do anything. The first time I completed it I had to use a program to slow down my CPU so I could actually progress past the first area.

I've mentioned Space Quest before in this thread, and King's Quest has come up as well. Any Sierra adventure game is full of problems like these :argh:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

One of the worst example of rubberbanding and also dev trolling was the final Canary Mary race in Banjo-Tooie. It's a race where you mash the A button to determine your speed and IIRC it is practically impossible to beat legitimately, you have to intentionally go slow for most of the race and mash like no tomorrow at the end to pull ahead.

Truth. I never beat that legitimately on an N64. I've only beat it on an emulator by slowing down the CPU speed so the game thinks I'm mashing the A button twice as fast as I actually am.

• Locked thread