Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you beat the Sega CD version of Earthworm Jim on easy mode, you don't even get a real ending.

Earthworm jim 2's ending is almost a troll by itself. A really good troll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPsYIf3_S0M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

I loved Super Paper Mario.

Then the devs trolled us all with Sticker Star.

Super paper mario was already a huge troll. It's incredibly bad whether you hold it to the standards of an action game or a paper mario game.

That thing in the second chapter where you have to just hold right on a hamster wheel for 5 minutes straight that people always mention? Not an exaggeration in the slightest. The game really makes you do that, along with all the other poo poo posted above. The game has an inexplicable contempt for you from start to finish.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I haven't played the game but isn't there another way of earning the money you need to get past that part and the problem is that most gamers were just too lazy/uncritical to actually seek it out instead of doing the tedious treadmill activity for 5 minutes?

No, the 5 minutes is the intended shortcut.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/super-paper-mario/Chapter_2-3

You get in debt for 1 million fake money. You're first put in a room where each time you jump to hit a block, you get 1 money. You need 100 money (100 jumps) to pay someone for a password that gets you into the next room. In that room you have to run on a hamster wheel until you get 10,000 money to pay someone else for the password into a vault that has the required million in it so you can finally move with this terrible game that you should have stopped playing by now.

The only thing that slightly redeems this is the fact that the code to the vault is always the same, so you could look it up online and skip this dumbass section. Unfortunately all the stuff posted above is still true so you only have a little while before the next dumbass section.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

While I don't know if its ever happened with Garry's Mod, I've heard stories of those anti-pirate things occasionally bugging out and nailing non-pirates. Kind of unfortunate when they the more malicious type.

That said, that particularly reminds me of the one the devs put into Arkham Asylum, which if I remember correctly made Batman not glide correctly, making a particular section impassible and many people out themselves as pirates on the dev's forums.

As funny as these things can be, the false positives are a danger with all of them so I'm not sure they're ea good idea. I remember someone on SA posting about a problem they were getting with serious sam 3 where their view would lock in some weird direction on the second level, which was actually a separate pirate troll from the pink scorpion. They got probated and people made fun of them because it looked like they pirated it, then they linked to their list of owned games on steam and they really did own the game legitimately.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I don't know about the first one, but in Super Paper Mario you can refuse to help and let the universe crumble into darkness right at the start of the game.

This is one of the better details of super paper mario. My complaints with the rest of the game still stand but I love that they let you do this. It really lets you go ahead and say "No, gently caress that! I don't want to save the world! Do it yourself!" and the game ends right there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Speaking of killing yourself with rocks, in magicka if you use the rock element by itself and cast it on yourself, it just drops a rock on your head that hurts you.

Magicka itself is kind of a wonderful troll. It pretty much gives you the keys to be brutally overpowered if you want to be, except there is self damage and friendly fire so the biggest challenge in the game is not blowing up yourself and your friends. The game was so buggy and unstable when it came out that they had to do daily patches, and later on when it was working properly they added a blue screen of death spell in reference to that. It just blue screens a single character on the screen, but it's pretty much 50/50 whether that will end up being an enemy, or you end up deleting one of your friends/yourself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

More metal gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1qw4P3NsPs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

2. I'm a bit hazy on this one, but I believe it's the Ice Shriekbats. An enemy that only appears in a single room until you get a certain item... that you're on your way to getting when you first go into the room. They look identical to an extremely common enemy, too, so you can easily not even notice that they're basically a one-off scan.

Prime 2 and 3 thankfully removed log book entries for stuff like missile doors, but I definitely remember Prime 2 pulling that second one as well.

Prime 3 had a really bad one too. It only shows up one time in one room and there are about 5 kinds of reskinned versions of that enemy you've already seen, so you probably aren't about to try to scan this thing on first glance. And it too is a shriekbat, which for those who don't know is an enemy that hangs on the ceiling and then flies down to suicide explode on you when you get close. Except these ones can't be scanned until you get close enough for them to already start flying at you, and they're so fast that you'll never get them in time unless you already have your scan visor out waiting for them.

That's such a small thing compared to all the things prime 3 did wrong though, although it is related to one of them--Half of the enemies in the game are almost identical to others, compared to the very diverse list of enemies in the first two games. You can make a different unique enemy in the game with basically any combination of the words "assault," "shield," "flying," "armored," "trooper," etc and then sticking "pirate" on the end. And you fight all of them the exact same way except for shield dudes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People called pay-to-win on weapons that are statistically worse than the free versions?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't get why people get so angry about early access games but on the few early access games I have bought I haven't really gotten burned. I'll be over here with my prison architect and kerbal space program, thank you.

There are many really good early access games, you just have to realize that there's way more chances for things to go wrong with early access and have to be more careful. Getting an EA game is not like buying something that's been released and reviewed--you're buying a beta and a work in progress, and if you don't know the developer then they could be really scummy, or could even be peter molyneux.

I've had great experiences with nuclear throne, crypt of the necrodancer and grim dawn (which are the only EA games I've bought) so I think there's merit to the system and a lot of devs really do it right. But as a consumer you have to be much more careful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Of course, Nintendo probably has pretty good lawyers.

This can prevent legal disputes from ever happening. It's a lot harder to send an army of lawyers against another army than after a small company who can't afford the expense (which is how patent trolls get away with the poo poo they do).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Such a shame they threw it all away because one guy couldn't stop jumping on his own dick. I couldn't share the series with other people in good conscience after that, but believe you me, I was looking forward to it all the way up to the last thirty minutes.

The ending to the series was really strange for me, it didn't send me into a frothing rage like it did for a lot of people but something about it just left me unable to care anymore. Like after I finished mass effect 1 I was super hyped for 2, then after I finished 2 the very first thing I wanted to do was start another character and do it again. After 3, I just didn't really want to bother anymore. The ending just had something about it that killed any sense of attachment I had to the world and the characters, so I didn't care about them enough to want to play through any part of the series again.

Then I tried the multiplayer and discovered that mass effect's legacy will instead live on as the best robot-headbutting simulator of the century. Unexpectedly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a pretty common thing actually. The game stores an invisible value of how much an NPC likes you, which increases if you give them gifts and things like that. Their affection also goes up a tiny bit each time you talk to them, which means that the innkeeper and blacksmith will actually be close to the max affection by the end of the game since you need to talk to them so much. It stores this value for virtually every single NPC in the game and your character's sex doesn't make a difference. This means that all NPCs are pansexual and the results are fittingly hilarious.

Without communicating this system to you in any way, when you go fight the dragon, the game picks whoever you have the most affection with and decides that they're your beloved who you must save from the dragon. So after beating the dragon, a lot of players were treated to a cutscene of their character making out with the doofy innkeeper. One patch included a change that specifically stopped the innkeeper's affection going up every time you talk to him but it didn't do this for the blacksmith so he's still fair game.

Dragon's dogma is an incredible game and I really hope dragon's dogma online comes to the west.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've had multiple cases where turning down money got me something else, but yes unsurprisingly when you tell people they don't need to give you money then they don't generally keep trying to give you money. I've denied payment every chance the game has given me and I think it's cool that you can sometimes play as a good samaritan if you want. A lot of games call certain options charity but then they actually give you mechanical incentives to do them, but in the witcher 3 you really can just work for free and all you get is thanks, but the setting is so good that it feels meaningful even without a gameplay reward.

Enemy levels definitely feel like a troll sometimes and I feel like it's one of the things that just doesn't work very well, either mechanically or in-setting, but I'm not sure how else to deal with the problem of player strength in an open world game.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Sep 17, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I feel like the enemy levels thing would be better if you had some way of knowing what level an enemy was before you actually got close enough to make it fight you. As it is when there's some cockatrice or drake or whatever flying around, I have no idea if this is a piddly level 1-20 thing I can take on, or an unstoppable level ?? murdergod (seriously I've seen monsters listed as level ??). If it's the latter then I have to run away for awhile to go back to whatever I was doing. And if it's a mini quest you're too underleveled for, you may have to reload to before you started the quest.

I did the early quest to kill the shrieker (cockatrice) at around level 6 when I think it's actually level 8, and it took a lot of tries because it turns out being just a couple levels below that thing actually makes it really hard. And on PS4 it takes like 2 minutes to reload a save every time you lose, it's awful.

Shwqa posted:

Well there is more to the quest.

there is a dead body in the house and a whole murder plot. They stole the old lady's pan to make ink to write a letter.

This is whats made the witcher 3's quests so good from what I've played so far (I guess I'm somewhere between 1/3-2/3 through the game but had to put it on hold for this semester). In gameplay terms you don't always do anything super out of the ordinary, but there's almost always cool background details and attention put into the quest that makes it feel meaningful, and the voice acting/character animation is what sells it. I haven't wanted to skip almost any of the dialogue so far which is amazing because there's hours and hours of dialogue in the whole game, and it still feels worth listening to 50 hours in, while in fallout and elder scrolls I'm skipping voice acted dialogue less than an hour into the games.

My only problem with the quests (and this was one of my biggest complaints with the witcher 2 also) is it feels like there's not always enough resolution at the end of the quest. Sometimes the game seems to stop caring about characters very quickly after a quest is over and they don't have much to say.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can't parry a lot of monster attacks though. It feels like you have to dodge most of the time except against humans, and even they need to be dodged too if they have a big weapon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If a game runs well on my specific hardware then it is officially Optimized, and if it doesn't then it is Not Optimized, regardless of how advanced the graphics are themselves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In witcher 3 out in the world there will be a random level 20-something monster right next to patches of level 4 ones, and the only way to tell whether this one happens to be ten times tougher than the others is to get close enough to start a fight with it. Even though those nearby identical enemies were just a couple of Vagrant Scrublets, this one might actually be the Legendary Murdergod and you have to run away if it is. Depending on the situation you can punch pretty far above your weight by abusing signs, but this only goes so far and only works in some cases. In the same area you'll find a quest with expected level 7, and another one with expected level 28. If you're level 15 then neither one is any good to you. You want to do the sidequests because they have really good presentation (voice acting/writing etc) but if you do too many of them you get overleveled and start to trivialize the game without even trying.

So the levels actually end up causing a lot of poo poo, but I still don't know how to solve that problem because you need some way to incentivize the player to explore and do sidequests but if there's no numerical progression then you can just get the best stuff and then the game stops there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought echoes was the best by far and pretty underrated, it had a really great aesthetic and atmosphere. Most of the complaints I read about it were really weird poo poo like "there's keys to open the boss door at the end of each area, and you can't have keys in a metroid game! And ammo in metroid?! missiles don't count as ammo for some reason"

Corruption was a big step back in a lot of ways though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress canary mary

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The perfect degree of laziness to detect an error and write an error message for it, then give up and put one useless word in the message.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Metroid Prime is a very good game and a good addition to the series, people were upset about the idea of a first person metroid from the second it was announced but when it came out a lot of people wound up agreeing that it was actually pretty good.

Then Nintendo decided they would make the next Metroid game after the Prime series and we got Other M. I'm pretty sure literally no one liked it except the guy responsible for making it.

Some people in suits thought it would be a good idea to hand metroid to Team Breast Physics. Making metroid prime 3D and first person was a risk at the time, but other M was just idiotic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

If I were the type to believe :tinfoil: style ideas, I'd almost think part of the badness surrounding Other M is a direct response to the fanboys more like me who complain that no matter how good the Prime series is, it's actually nothing like playing the old school 2D Metroid games.

I mean, 3D platform shooters CAN be good. Like, look at Ratchet and Clank (ironically already mentioned). Take out the comedic cartoon tone of the game, and the engine really kinda plays like a good 3D Metroidvania would have during the Gamecube era. I mean, I understand why they took the risk, they didn't want to look samey and less creative after Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time actively used the same engine to create 3D versions of their beloved franchises, but the First Person style is so dramatically unlike the previous rest of the series that they could have cut out all direct references to Samus and called it something besides Metroid, and probably still done nearly as well in the end. That when they finally went back to a traditional look the game is so actively insulting on so many levels really screams "sour grapes" to me.

There's nothing wrong with them doing something different with the franchise as long as they do it well though, and they definitely did with prime. The important thing about the move to first person is that they kept the most important things about the series intact (mainly the atmosphere IMO), and arguably making it first person not only preserved the atmosphere but made it way better as a result. In fact I think metroid actually works better as a first person game than as a sidescroller. They could have screwed it up, but retro did such an incredibly good job with prime 1 and 2 that those games are very strong arguments for why people should be willing to try something new with a series. It's weird how much fans end up demanding certain things out of a game just based on the franchise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's an ongoing let's play of this game right now http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746880

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't need to be able to talk to her to join the covenant and get the rewards. No need for the ring.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't that part an accident?

No. You might be thinking of when dark souls 1's basically mandatory DSfix mod was banned, which turned out to be a mistake and was reversed. In dark souls 2 you could and can still get silently and arbitrarily softbanned for using practically any outside software with the game, including harmless graphics injectors like sweetFX. The only way to know for sure if you've been softbanned is to email somebody at namco about it, which is obviously no good because then you're inviting scrutiny and it has the implication of "why would they be asking if they haven't done anything wrong."

Resident turbohacker tallgeese had some details on it awhile back in the PC thread, and I don't remember the specifics but apparently the way it works means that a player using super hacks to ruin other players' saves can get off scot free while a player using a mod to specifically block those hackers will get softbanned for doing so. From software has no goddamn idea what to do about mods and cheaters, but one way or another they've somehow engineered a system that hurts harmless mod-users more than hackers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress that tree by the way

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Would you say that from software, a game developer, has trolled this thread

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

de la peche posted:

I tried to play Dragon Fin Soup; I thought it might be interesting, the aesthetic grabbed me. The actual game, however, is absolute bullshit. Try to run diagonal? Nope. Okay, fair enough, maybe it's kind of turn-based behind the scenes. I'll queue up left then up. Nope. Go left. Wait. Go up. Nope. No input in the middle at all. How someone bothered with this game, I have no idea. I was well up for a nice rogue-like action-ish RPG. This got deleted in about five minutes. It's awful.

This seems like an incredibly trivial thing to drop a game in five minutes over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I've never not played fallout 3 with high intelligence just because you're at a flat out disadvantage if you don't compared to any other SPECIAL you could put your points in. As long as the fallout 4 perks aren't implemented terribly it looks like a big improvement. Although if I understand the system right, it sounds like which perks you'll be able to get will be dependent on how many points you have in each SPECIAL attribute. So there may still be some god perk that you want to get no matter what but it requires 9 intelligence or something. There's apparently no level cap so you'll probably be able to eventually get every perk that your SPECIAL attributes unlock. Your SPECIAL forever locking you out of some necessary perk would be the only thing I could see getting in the way of the new system working right.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Duke of Flies posted:

I'm a huge hateful cynic with a tar-black heart and worry that having a kid is going to ruin his games from here on out. It def made his wife crazier; her tumblr just got increasingly weird and racist the more pregnant she got.

Do you have any examples of this because it sounds funny.

I didn't have a great opinion of the first isaac, was gifted rebirth/afterbirth so I gave it another shot and it is just not a good game. Every single problem with the original has been dutifully replicated except for the frame rate since the game isn't in flash anymore. I do not understand the popularity. It's a very slow and unsatisfying slot machine.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ArcMage posted:

I think my complaint is that it puts exactly the worst amount of plot into it. We don't have, like, Shepard or similar, who's an actual character I can get behind, we've got an almost blank slate, but with just enough characterization applied to stop me from quite playing the character I want to play.

It's a pretty tiny annoyance for me, but it's still an annoyance.

Yeah this is kind of nagging at me. Not very long after you leave the vault you become an almost blank slate, but before that they give you a lot of history and there's just enough connection to that history to make it weird whenever it comes up in a conversation. Then stuff like the 1-intelligence idiot with a law degree, etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Three dog was cool and awesome and I guess I didn't mind mr. new vegas but this new guy is making me not listen to the radio much anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Whatever his faults, I still laugh at his little Beavis and Butthead chuckle when introducing the song "Rocket 69."

Also they dropped "Johnny Guitar" so it's still better than Radio New Vegas, which had some seriously good stuff but nothing anywhere near as good as that song is bad.

Yeah but new vegas had that bug where big iron would play twice as often in place of another song so they did their best to make up for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress mighty mighty man and butcher pete. Ugh.

The classical station is a nice addition but I don't like that it has things like ride of the valkyries which are tonally different from almost everything else on the station. It will be good when the mod tools come out and people can make their own stations again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

13Pandora13 posted:

That, and Ride plays when you launch the ghouls into space in NV so it's just kind of...silly.

The violin station in 3 owned and I'd have liked for it to be more like that, but meh. I'll take what I can get.

The (not really a spoiler) minuteman station in fallout 4 comes very close but it's interrupted every ingame hour by the same two variations of "nothing to report".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do you actually get anything for keeping a bunch of settlements healthy and defended beyond whichever one you decide to use as a base?

I'd like to build up a lot of these and at least get them off the ground but the fact that you have to haul all the materials around to each one is such a pain that I've still only built up maybe two.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't think I ever managed to close oblivion without having it crash. I do not know what that even looks like. The quit button was just a crash button to me that I clicked whenever I was done and ready for the game to crash.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Electrical Fire posted:

I'm at least 20 hours into Fallout 4 and it hasn't crashed once. Am I just lucky?

I've played over twice that long and haven't seen a single crash yet. It's horribly buggy, the performance is terrible despite looking way worse than skyrim which runs better on my computer, and the load times are awful, but they actually seem to have kept it pretty crash free. Maybe for the next game they'll have it crash free + fix one of the problems above.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

whoaaaaaah I'm a mighty mighty *click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wasn't there a bug in dwarf fortress at one point where an extra digit got put in by accident, so anytime a turkey laid an egg they would lay 11 at once

• Locked thread