Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I signed up for a division, but am definitely not qualified for a corps command. This is my first one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
GeneralMajor Gerdt von Powerthighs has reported for duty commanding the 6th division under III Korps Steinrokkan.

Edit: Of the Bavarian von Powerthighs'.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 9, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Edit: no longer valid

pthighs fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 10, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Edit: How am I supposed to coordinate with 1st Division, they are on the other side of the formation from me!

Edit 2: Okay, posititioning is up in the air.

dublish, it sounds like we are responsible for building a second bridge. Where would you like to do that? I would suggest just north of that little copse of trees across the river so we get some concealment that will make it harder for our engineers to be engaged. Though this would require me to deploy just to the west of the road, leaving not a lot of room for the other two divisions to the East.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 9, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

dublish posted:

Unless the map gets extended east, I think we'd better set it up west of Pond de Dax. If I'm reading the map scales right, we'll still be out of range of any French artillery on Chemin des Putains (arty range is 18 squares I think).

How about here:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
If I'm doing this correctly this seems to be about as far as we can go West with the bridge to stay out of range of artillery:

Edit: I will try to get on IRC within the hour.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 10, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
6th Division, III Korps Deployment

Edit: forgot my four calvary. Please place them in the back of the 4th regiment

All guns deployed. Engineer company working with Dublish's engineers to build a bridge.

Full deployment. My troops are inside the red. Dublish is to the left (as well as the two Engineers in the middle), and WarhammerCrowsbeak is to the right.

1st Regiment only

2nd Regiment only

3rd Regiment only

4th Regiment only

pthighs fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 10, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yes, Grey, 6th division has a single company of engineers in the 4th regiment that I don't see on the map. My original plan was to place them next to dublish's two companies to speed bridge building. Feel free to do that or to place them alongside Crowsbeak's engineers, but please make sure to add them to the map!

Looks pretty good otherwise. Thanks.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Do we want 6th division to stay defensive and cover the crossing? Is it worth it to build pontoon bridges or just cross the bridge to the East when it's clear?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
III Korps/6th Division orders

All regiments will defend. Please place my single Engineer corps in 4th regiment (if you haven't already) adjacent to dublish's engineers to assist with bridge building.

Also note I specified in deployment that all guns are unlimbered and ready to fire.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I am extraordinarily confused about which troops are mine (6th division)

Edit: I think I see now. I was under the impression the each division gets six regiments of 7.7cm, not three.

Here is the initial deployment in the NE of the map, for reference.

Click here for the full 1265x378 image

7.7 cm regiments are circled in red, 10.5 cm regiments in blue, and 15cm regiments in black.

1st Division (dublish) and sixth division (me) both have two regiments of 15cm guns. So whose are along the river and who's are up in the top right corner by themselves?

pthighs fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 20, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
My tenative orders for 6th division are to hold tight for another few turns. Then I will begin to move.

I believe it takes one turn to limber/unlimber a gun, is that correct?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
6th Division, III Korps. Orders

Stay put for now.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Orders for III Korps., 6th Division

Division HQ (black) - move as indicated below
Grey, if this isn't my division HQ, ignore. I just want to keep it roughly in the middle of my regiments.

1st Regiment (light blue) - Shift to the east as indicated below. Keep guns in front along the river, infantry behind.
The objective is to put fires on the French units just north of Cheri Farm
Edit: I don't know who's cavalry and MG company that is, but they should move back to make way for the guns.

2nd Regiment (Red)
Stay put and put fires on the French guns on the tip of Chemains des Putains as indicated

3rd Regiment (Purple)
Move north around 2nd Regiment, then head East in preparation to cross the bridge at
Pont de Dax

4th Regiment (yellow)
Limber guns, then follow path towards bridge at Point de Dax in preparation to cross.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 24, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

dublish posted:

Move your own division HQ, and not mine.

I think that is mine. I believe yours started just to the NE of the bridge you are crossing.

I put a note for Grey, hopefully he can figure it out.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

1st Regiment (dark blue) - MG Company move out of the way. The 3 7.7cm Companies are to move as indicated and set up along the river, then engage French forces to the west of Mange Pomme

2nd Regiment (yellow) - Stay put and destory the last French gun left on the tip of Chemains du Putain, then limber up all guns and move towards the bridges

3rd Regiment (red) - Continue queueing to cross the river. Use pontoon bridges when they are completed

4th Regiment (light blue) - Cavalry and MG move to join up with the rest of the regiment. Continue queueing to cross the river. Use pontoon bridges when they are completed

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
an orders spreadsheet I missed somewhere? None of 6th division moved at all.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Orders - 6th Division, III Korps.
"The Guns of March"

1st Regiment (Dark Blue) - March across the bridge and take the indicated position
3rd Regiment (Red) - March across the bridge and take the indicated position

2nd Regiment (Yellow) - Stay put for now, use our guns to guard the right flank of this whole formation. Please move that single 15cm gun not on the river bank to the river bank.
4th Regiment (Light Blue) - Move towards the bridge behind 1st and 3rd Regiments.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Don't let them know we know something about any flanking maneuver. We can exploit that intelligence gap to our advantage. Sun Tzu would be disappointed in you.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
6th Division, III Korps. Order
"The Guns of MarchApril"

Turn 11
1st Regiment (Dark Blue) - Move West and then attack South as indicated. Our stranded 3 companies of artillery should meet up at the best speed.
2nd Regiment (Red) - Wait for Crowsbeak's 2nd divsion to cross in front of me, then move south as indicated, halting when within range of enemy forces
3rd Regiment (Light Blue) - Cross the bridge and move to the light blue square as indicated. Attack south, halting when in range of enemy forces. Keep artillery in the back at the moment.
4th Regiment (Yellow) - Limber all guns and being to move to cross the bridge.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 4, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
That's a good point, although there is a larger issue of me and Crowsbeak's forces running into each other regardless of my artillery. I will try to modify things in the next couple of hours.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Updated my orders post above.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

dublish posted:

You're the best. The officers of 1. Division owe the officers of 6. Division a round of schnapps. Or at least the officers who survive this assault.

Sounds good. Should be over soon, definitely by Christmas!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm not sure if I should swing my regiment on the hill in to attack SW along the ridge or hold my ground. I'm worried I will get slaughtered by all those guns SE of the hill I will be turning my flank to.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Keep this in mind. Even if you don't agree with my attack directions, THIS IS THE STAGE THAT ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES YOU TO ATTACK. I've been in favor of conservative actions so far, but now we must throw everything into the inferno, and hoe to come on top.

Fair enough. I'll post my orders within the next twelve hours or so, but I plan on moving my 1st regiment along the edge of the ridge to enfilade that line of French guns. The rest will support the assault on the hill or swing around the E corner of Chemains.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm making my orders now, but my question is should my regiment in the woods on the NE tip of Chemains stay put and engage the guns from there? Or move forward to engage them from the flank?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
"The Guns of April"

1st Regiment (Green) - Move out of the woods to attack flank the French line of infantry and guns as indicated on the map. Cut them down like dogs. Move artillery around east side of Chemins.
3rd Regiment (Red) - Stay put
All other regiments and division command, move as indicated on the map.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 6, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond before you posted your orders. I like the move to prepare for an enfilade, but would it be possible to set it up without infiltrating the French? By which I mean turning the westernmost companies protruding between French companies in a north-aiming arc that would link them with the II Korps (you may need to shift some units to the east to fit them in in that scenario)? The way they are depicted I think they are exposing themselves to extra danger without gaining new opportunities.

Also, isn't sending artillery this close to the battlefield dangerous? The map doesn't provide many opportunities for direct fire, but I think a more reasonable place for them would be on the left flank (east) of the green regiment, just below the ridge. From there they could trade fire with French artillery w/o taking massed infantry fire.

Good feedback, I updated my orders.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Mein Gott... :stare:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
So what exactly are my orders? (6th division, mostly intact, on the NE tip of Chemains as well as NE of the hill).

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
What's our timeframe on getting orders in?

Also, I'm nervous that the Allies have requested to extend the top of the map.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I figured before I take the time to move all my little pixelmen I would post a rough idea of my proposed posititioning for feedback:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
6th Divison, III Korps. Orders
"The Guns of April"

Here's our starting posititions:

1st Regiment (Green) will attack to the SW. All other regiments will move to these positions and unlimber all guns.
These are the desired positions:

Edit: I forgot to include the 3 7.7cm companys for 1st Regiment in the final image. Please leave them where they are for the moment.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Dublish, do you plan on advancing down the Chemains or staying put and exchanging fire this turn?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
6th Division, III Korps. Order
"The Guns of April"

All divisions take a Defensive posture and exchange fire with the enemy.
Exception: the Cavalry and Engineer from 4th Regiment I have forgot about (light blue) should move as indicated to reform with 4th regiment.
Exception: The yellow guns of 2nd Regiment should limber up if not already limbered.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 12, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

JosefStalinator posted:

You're not going to attempt to advance along the Chemains with the Green units? The red ones could fill the spots they leave, and give the artillery at Broulard vision on the French.

My thought was there were enough enemy units in range that it would make sense to sit and shoot them with all the bonuses that come with not moving.

Of course they might be pulling back next turn, we don't really know for sure. I'm open to feedback on the risk/reward in this situation.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
"The Guns of April"

Here's our initial positions:

1st Regiment (Green) - Move to the indicated positions and Attack. Use the forest to maintain concealment from the SW.
The 3 7.7cm guns should move around behind 4th Reg. to set up along the ridge.
2nd Regiment (Yellow) - Move as indicated
3rd Regiment (Red) - Move as indicated as close to the French troops as possible. Attack.
4th Regiment (Light Blue) - Stay put, except for the 4 companies that need to move out of the way.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

I'm just worried that under the current orders the artillery line won't be able to fire at anything, either due to range issues, or because of blocked LOS.

I thought about that. I don't think artillery can move and fire in the same turn, though, right? I figured it was better to get an extra 3 Infantry and 1 Machine Gun companies in firing range.

My plan is to keep extending the line of artillery along the south side of the Chemains to engage with whatever is on the hill to our South. Although I suppose my other option is to set up and artillery line facing SW where my red guys are and only advance on the very top part of the hill to keep an open line of sight to whatever is down there. I'm finding it difficult to use artillery on offense - in particular in cramped quarters with LOS blockers like forest.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

You should be safe to deploy some artilleray in the gap, pthighs. The distance between the ridges is well beyond rifle range, and if you get to snipe some Anthill companies - all the better!

Will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
"Feiglinge sterben oft vor ihrem Tod. Die Valiant nie Geschmack des Todes nur einmal."

Initial Positions of 6th Division

All artillery deploy as shown.
Everyone else, attack in formation as ordered! Advance as far forward as is possible.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread