Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
I mean like, it is a train and it blows up. There has been like 4 last month and 2 this month already?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-0308-rail-safety-20150308-story.html

That is just one of them, one in ontario canda is a new one.

Seriously oil trains, stop blowing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
not the trains fault imo

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Its ISIS on the homeland they just ain't reporting it.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
god i hate trains....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Explosive medium OP.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i dont loving know

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
blame faulty switches like the rest of us.

that accident in lac du fondac? more a failure of culture than one of mechanics. the lac attack happened because that railway had a lax culture towards following procedure and because of that, the cars rolled downhill

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

amityville anus posted:

Its ISIS on the homeland they just ain't reporting it.

Or the handful of people who would have been appointed to permanent jobs with the keystone pipeline. "No cushy white collar pipeline job via my local politician, guess it's terrorism for me then".

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Whats the deal with airplane food?

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if we had a pipeline this wouldnt happen

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
let's put a bunch of highly flammable stuff inside a mile long vehicle that takes an hour to stop completely what could go wrong

ps im gay

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

It's because there's about three to five times as much oil travelling over rail from 15 years ago. God forbid we put some loving pipelines in.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

what if a train crashed into pipeline, smart guy?

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
obama is too much of a pussy to make new regulations

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

king salmon posted:

obama is too much of a pussy to make new regulations

what's the point of freeing them if they're not going to make decisions

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
trains are just planes on rails, without wings, and not in the sky, if you think about it. actually theyre more genetically related to the common celery than say, a horse, natures train

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They just keep making lovely oil trains and they just keep blowing up I don't even know any more it's like I can't send my kids off to school without loving oil trains exploding. Ok I don't HAVE kids but if I did every goddamn morning oil tankers would be exploding right next to the house or school I mean goddamn

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

They just keep making lovely oil trains and they just keep blowing up I don't even know any more it's like I can't send my kids off to school without loving oil trains exploding. Ok I don't HAVE kids but if I did every goddamn morning oil tankers would be exploding right next to the house or school I mean goddamn

oil can make you sterile so if you're around enough exploding oil trains you won't be able to have kids just something to mull over

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you barely ever see a horse blow up, doesnt matter how much oil its got in it. same for a camel. more so

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

oil can make you sterile so if you're around enough exploding oil trains you won't be able to have kids just something to mull over

Did you know that George Bush Senior covered up over 200 confirmed cases of oil trains exploding? People in the late 80's and early 90's used to think the government was covering up UFO's but at least 90 percent of those cases were oil train explosions? YOu don't hear about that but it's true an Obama continues to keep this cover up to this day. The government doesn't want you to know that all these school "shootings" and chem trails are the result of untold hundreds of oil trains exploding constantly

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Vapor pressure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

i got disabled from oil train vibes and was on disability pensions for about three years. then a hidden cam caught me planting a bulb in the garden and i lost it all.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Did you know that George Bush Senior covered up over 200 confirmed cases of oil trains exploding? People in the late 80's and early 90's used to think the government was covering up UFO's but at least 90 percent of those cases were oil train explosions? YOu don't hear about that but it's true an Obama continues to keep this cover up to this day. The government doesn't want you to know that all these school "shootings" and chem trails are the result of untold hundreds of oil trains exploding constantly

i did NOT know this. do u think oil train explosions are related to swamp gases in some way? it's also been established if u think about it that spilled oil can sometimes look very similar to an alien autopsy

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
what's the deal with corn nuts

F hole
May 13, 2008

this wouldn't happen if they'd build a pipeline :smug:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oil tankers exploding is p crazy because when they explode they BLEVE, all the oil gets superheated and then busts open the tanker once the release valve can't keep up and you get a big cloud of superheated oil and then a big mushroom cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-JgyQA7u0
http://youtu.be/K-tUQTw_Vtk?t=45s

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 9, 2015

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's like it's flammable or something

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Because you idiots keep transporting crude oil cross-country in train cars meant for 'things that aren't actively trying to explode at any given moment' like soybeans and corn

quote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-07-23/the-white-house-has-a-plan-to-stop-oil-train-explosions-eventually

Tank-car manufacturers, meanwhile, simply want some clarity around what kind of cars they need to build.

Much of the criticism has focused on the quality of the tank cars used to haul oil. Most accidents have involved a class of car called the DOT-111, which is widely seen as rupture-prone and insufficient to carry flammable crude oil. The same kind of car also carries less combustible things, such as soybeans and corn.

Earlier this year, Canadian regulators moved to phase out DOT-111 cars over the next three years. The U.S. proposal seeks to do it in two. The question is whether the industry will adopt tank cars with shells that are 9/16ths of an inch thick or 7/16ths of an inch. The proposal also suggests the option of including electronic “pneumatic” brakes and some kind of rollover protection.

Gotta wonder what the hazard pay to drive one of these things is these days.

Serak fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 9, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

Oil tankers exploding is p crazy because when they explode they BLEVE, all the oil gets superheated and then busts open the tanker once the release valve can't keep up and you get a big cloud of superheated oil and then a big mushroom cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-JgyQA7u0
http://youtu.be/K-tUQTw_Vtk?t=45s

i want to bleve

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

those exploding oil tankers are creating jobs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hey hey

ho ho

these exploding trains have got to go

hey hey

no way

get that gas away today

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I think tanker cars should go w 9/16 thickness, even though that'll add a lot of weight to the car and reduce their carrying capacity and efficiency and increase cost.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
obama. pipeline. isis

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Does anyone have that post where BT4 describes a hypothetical derailment? It was a pretty great description of train mechanics and the physics involved, and it really makes you marvel at how every train in the world isn't on fire along the side of some tracks.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

yes, because the republicans would already have what they want and wouldn't need to sabotage alternate methods of moving the same thing

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Does anyone have that post where BT4 describes a hypothetical derailment? It was a pretty great description of train mechanics and the physics involved, and it really makes you marvel at how every train in the world isn't on fire along the side of some tracks.
when that train in italy did a mid-air 180 a few years ago i was grateful that the only tracks near me are completely straight and level but i took a walk and they'd just built a ridiculously angled new route within spitting distance of where i live

i sure hope they won't have too much high-speed chemical transportation

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Blistex posted:

Here you go:

B4Ctom1 posted:

Pretty much this. It is hard to explain not just the physics, but the amounts of forces involved.

We use throttle to create stretching or "draft" forces and dynamic braking (think of downhill engine braking in a car) to create bunching or "buff" forces.

To start with, when you are running the train, you are feathering the throttle or dynamic braking to keep "in train forces" at acceptable levels. This is based upon the terrain each part of the train is passing over.

Even small changes in grade, if there are enough of them under the length of the train, are enough to break knuckles, rip out draw bars, or derail cars simply by doing "nothing at all" at the wrong time.

In these situations heavier applications of power or dynamic brake are required to keep these "in train forces" down.

Think of a large sliced loaf of bread. I take the wrapper off of it and ask you to carry it across the room. One hand on each end should suffice. A small amount of pressure to keep the bread from being crushed and across the room you go.

The knuckle and drawbar connections between the cars seem very strong to the layman, but when compared to the amount of weight of loaded freight cars, and all of the cars behind them piled upon it, it may as well be dental floss.

You can break dental floss easily, but the difference is that it is hard to "crush" dental floss.

The poster I have quoted above is addressing something we call "train make up". THe "in train forces" can be additionally effected by the way cars or groups of cars are placed in the train. Long cars next to short cars, loads next to empties.

Generally freight trains that are not hauling a bulk of the same commodity are mixed freight. A bulk commodity train would be an entire train of wheat or coal. These trains are very heavy, and have their own set of problems, but in general do not have any issue of train make up because all of the cars are generally the same weight and type. Mixed freight trains are the most common types of trains on the main rail thoroughfares.

A mixed freight train I haul might have 25 heavy loaded lumber cars, 15 empty or loaded auto racks, 20 empty or loaded tank cars of various lengths, 30 empty or loaded covered hopper cars of various lengths, and 30 loaded or empty boxcars of two different lengths.

So for this example train of 120 cars. Lets say it weighs 7900 tons and is 9000 feet (2.75KM) long.

I am traveling along at 50 MPH.

The "head end" of the train has passed the bottom of the grade and the train is still descending the grade. As about half of the train leaves the grade I am looking ahead at the next grade to climb directly ahead. I have been using dynamic brake and need to "transition" from braking to power. I move the lever into the idle position and begin waiting my 10 seconds. In my my mind, from experience, I know that I need to rapidly, but gently begin notching through my power notches without allowing my train to accelerate past 50 MPH which I am restricted to.

The very head of the train is traveling around a slight curvature in the track. I also need to see that the next signal is green "clear" so that I do not have to formulate an entire other plan as a reduction of speed might be required instead. I see that the signal is flashing yellow "advanced approach". This will mean a reduction of speed to 40 MPH and a possible stop short of the second signal ahead.

As I am thinking of what I am to do next and waiting for the 10 seconds to pass, the next crossing becomes visible and I see that there is a truck hauling a low slung trailer with a heavy piece of equipment on it. He is blocking the crossing because his low slung trailer is stuck on the raised rail and crossing lumber that you drive across.

Without hesitation or further consideration, I slam the brake handle into the emergency position, dumping all the trainline air. I reach up and toggle the switch that ensures that the "End Of Train" device dumps from the rear as well. I bail off the locomotive air brakes because they are so powerful in a situation like this, that they can cause such a massive buff forces which will certainly derail a train. Additionally they can crumple or destroy the track beneath them.

While in earlier transition from dynamic braking to power "slack" had developed in the train. Slack is neither draft or buff, but more of a null position like rail cars standing in a yard not connected to a train. A developed space between cars where they are sort of relaxed.

As the air dumped from the train-line, the brake valves on each car sense this emergency and dump the full value of air contained within their emergency reservoir into the large cylinder that applies the brakes giving each car higher than usual stopping power.

Somewhere near the head end of the train a group of empty tank cars having such massive braking power begin to stop the train, but right behind them a group of heavy loaded hoppers presses against them, their own braking being less substantial. A tank car of Anhydrous Ammonia right between the groups which has been taking the brunt of these two opposing forces has a wheel that lifts off the rail as it is being pressed around a curve. This car, the car ahead of it, and nine of the loaded hopper cars behind it all leave the rail and head into a tiny quiet suburb in the middle of the night.

Half way back in the train where the most of the box cars are, they settle down for their stop. Still bunched because they were still descending the hill. The heavy loads of lumber fighting them as they come to a stop. Even though on straight track the, one end of an empty boxcar in the group begins to lift into the air. The opposing force of the heavy lumber cars and the stopping train ahead of it is too much. As it sets back down the wheels miss the track and begin to erase the track, all of the cars behind it having no track to ride on begin to take paths of their own in each direction.

Near the back of the train the auto-rack settle down hard. Harder than the group of heavy lumber cars ahead of them. This causes one of the long 500+ pound (230kg) draw-bars in the third auto-rack to be sheared from place. For a moment it tumbles through space, whistling though the wind in contact with only the air. Then it strikes a tie and the car passing above it in vaulted, only inches off of the rail, and a carload of new rangerovers tumbles end over end into a reservoir of drinking water.

The drawbar is angry, propelled by its last impact it drops onto the rail for a moment derailing a load of mini coopers, a load of corvettes, a load of ford diesel pickups, and a load of prius. The last of the autoracks ram into those derailed and the drawbar impales itself through the bottom of a boxcar piercing 20 cases of aged Glenfiddich.

Back on the locomotive, pressed forward by the loads behind, we cover the half mile to the stuck trailer in about 45 seconds. My conductor sees that the piece of equipment is a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer and screams like a woman as he jumps from his window at 35 mph. The fall from 15 feet in the air certainly would have killed him but instead he tumbled and struck feet first shattering his legs in 20 places and cartwheeling to his death as his head exploded when it struck the hard granite ballast some 20 times or so in the cartwheeling tumble. It takes 24 hours for them to find his body under crumpled boxcars.

I run out the back door to the second locomotive where I lay down in the cab. The impact at 35 mph is brutal. The second locomotive which I am on climbs under the front locomotive. The third locomotive does the same to mine. When the locomotive comes to a rest, is on its side, and both my arms are broken.

I drown, face down, in 200 gallons of brownish, blueish sewage from a chemical toilet long overdue for a cleaning. But my dignity is preserved because a fire from the combined 12,000 gallons (45.5 Kiloliters) of fuel burns for 3 days incinerating me and most of the locomotives completely.

The undocumented worker driving the truck with the wedged trailer disappears.

During the conductor's autopsy, trace amounts of THC from a brownie he consumed 3 weeks earlier while on vacation in Amsterdam are found to be the cause of the accident.

It was also noted in the government report that the cellphone of an engineer on a different train following ours was "on" at the time of our impact, and this may have contributed to the wreck.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
to jack the price of oil obviously

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i could go for some jacking oil right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
People really fuckin hate pipelines. Also Lol at train engineers that try to stop the train because some moron is on the tracks. Just plow through that poo poo, anyone loving around near train tracks deserves to get hit.

Harrower fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 9, 2015

• Locked thread