Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rangpur posted:

When you enter B12F they're at fixed positions. Then they move to another fixed position, usually at an intersection where you need to go, and squat there for the rest of eternity. They all move in unison too, so there's no way to beat the furthest ones to their spot but I think you can avoid fighting them if you take the long way around. It's a case where you need a map of basically the entire area in order to plan your route carefully if you want to race them.

To be honest though, I usually just beat them down with Etheric Charge and one of the elemental limit breaks.

You can definitely take the fast route to the boss that the FOEs try to block off if you avoid every fight (or win in one turn) and make perfect moves. You even have a margin of a few moves but it's best to run or use a Warding Bell.

Or you can fight them, they're not very hard by the time you make it to that level. EOIII suffers from the FOEs not being very threatening past the first couple of strata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SC Bracer posted:

The mother dragons are pretty scary :v: Luckily, EO3 is so focused on day/night differences you can avoid them entirely.

If you have a Hoplite and a TP battery Ninja you can take entire rooms of them at your leisure when you first encounter them, even better if the Ninja Bunshins and the clone uses Izuna every turn.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the Freed Savages on the previous level were jokes but the Deep One FOEs are challenging.

On New Game+ I just cheesed the level by beating up the first FOE though. I had retired my team as soon as I unlocked Shoguns and even though they were underlevelled for the area they were able to beat it up in just a couple of turns. That's not because the FOE is weak but because Warrior Might is too good.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Is there a reason why the wilted shroom is an item compendium item with a price listed and everything? Can you get another one to sell somehow or what?

It's listed as a monster drop because mechanically, it is a monster drop; specifically, it's a conditional drop from getting the killing blow with the special dagger. The only difference is that you never see the monster again and it's taken away in a scripted scene after the fight.

Edit: It probably had to be done this way because the scripting has no way of going back to check if you killed the monster in a specific way in order to give you a key item as with other quests. Instead, after the fight is over the script just checks if you have the conditional drop to see if you did it properly.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 17, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

I like when floors are extremely aptly named such as "Maddening abundance of gates".

I don't have good map tools for this EO3 please have mercy!

Then you're going to enjoy "Blind Plummet to the Void" and "The Tearful Thorny Trail" :getin:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Curse is hilarious. It's why I like Diabolix in the first game so much.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Man I forgot how much of a smug dick Kujura is in the earlier parts of the game. I look forward to presumably getting to murder him this time around.

He's less of an rear end in a top hat if you side against him, too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah it's definitely true. I didn't really realize it the first time through, but Flowdia and Gutrune really go out of their way to pull the wool over your eyes. I'm gonna put this in tags because even though it's an old game, the plot is actually pretty interesting.

The first time through it seemed like out of nowhere Seyfried just went nuts and decided to try to kill his sister. I figured he was deluded as a consequence of losing his memories/making himself into a robot, and I didn't trust the freaky tree talking to him. Of course then at the end you get the reveal about the Princess but the way she and Flowdia frame it, it seems like it's not too bad. The story mostly just seems like a tragedy that Seyfried is so far gone he can't even remember his sister.

But THEN I did the Deep City path. And I learned that Seyfried didn't abandon his peaceful nonagression out of nowhere - it was the collecting of the Amarantos flower that triggered it, because he had access to information that never even gets revealed in the other path. Learning that the flower is poisonous to everyone who isn't a Deep One totally recontextualizes his reactions and you understand why he wants to kill her. She and Kujura also seem downright nuts and evil once you actually confront them and put them on the defensive. There are still tragic elements that the two siblings end up at each others throats, but Seyfried is much more justified.

That said I'm looking forward to the true ending. There are so many ways that both sides are in the wrong, and even though I don't know exactly what the final solution will be I can imagine a few other options. Like finding out what exactly the deal is with the Deep Ones. Maybe they don't just need to be slaughtered indiscriminately.

Also wtf is up with this game's freaky Yggdrasil it seems really different from the other two. :tinfoil:

Man, when Gutrune drops that she's using the power of the Deep Ones to extend her life I just wanted to turn to Kujura and Flowdia and ask "yo, are you really okay with this?"

Edit: Maybe we'll get that conversation in an Etrian Untold 3

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 20, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tyty posted:

So how exactly do I build a ronin in EOU? The stance mechanics seem kinda weird.

-Upper Stance
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike
-Swallow Strike

Alternatively you can supposedly build a team around Perfect Chaser. My boyfriend does this and says it works well. I've never tried this because Swallow Strike is all I could ever want.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Txn posted:

And so, the dancing journey of the Macarena Guild officially begins.

Ah, getting an early start on the Beat Dance Brigade.

Regy Rusty posted:

Good so point is, don't bother killing them off until I'm actually ready to fight the boss once I've done everything else.

Go ahead and map the level and figure out the puzzle to catching each one early so you can do it all in one go when you're ready.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dr. Fetus posted:

It should probably tell you something that most people who make it to that point opt to use a specific party to cheese the thing rather than trying to fight it fair and square. It's POSSIBLE to beat it with a regular party, but most party setups just can't kill it without getting lucky.

Abyssal God is flat out one of the hardest things to beat in the series, even with tons of knowledge (barring a couple of cheese parties as you said).

My boyfriend rammed a Warrior Might party against it for weeks without any success, even with full knowledge from the Internet of the Abyssal God's patterns and tactics. He did the level to 99, retire, level back up and grind for books thing and had the best equipment, forges, and skill choices possible, but when the thing switches it up and starts countering your move choices it was all over every time.

He ended up beating it with a Princess and Ninja 2-character party.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really want EO3U just for a re-arranged version of this song. And End of Raging Waves.

And The First Campaign.

I haven't really heard any other songs from EO3, though, so that's all I can comment on.

There's going to be a bunch of arranged music from EO3 in EOMD. So far there's the boss theme, Stratum 1, and Stratum 5 themes, and hopefully there's more as well. I've heard the last two in preview videos and they're my favourite stratum themes in the series so I'm looking forward to a clear soundtrack rip.

As for the boss theme there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXf68PQTaDo

Hopefully there's an arrange of The End of Raging Waves (or even The End of Raging Winds from 4)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crosspeice posted:

There is, but it's only on Nicovideo at the moment. It's fairly low key, but still an excellent rendition.

Holy poo poo, I love it. (According to the title it's based on Winds so it's actually an arrange of an arrange)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I really wish they included the Ronin cameo in III as one of the DLC portraits in Untold 2. My party needs someone to hold the map.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hivac posted:

It would be nice if they didn't use the Hexer one though.

Oh yeah, not sure where her pants went. I thought for a while she was just wearing white pants or something.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Etrian III is great. It's my favourite and I'm glad you went back and enjoyed it as well. I feel like it's where the series really took off, as far as being polished and having broader appeal while still being a good challenge.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Caduceus and Pain Formula are TEC and Attack based but they're extreme outliers. Aside from those the attack doesn't matter for a caster, so give them weapons with bonuses that boost their other stats. For instance, there's a staff in EOU with +20 luck that I've given my Hexer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cuckoo posted:

No overworld? Aww :( Oh well. I just looked up some Youtube gameplay videos and it reminds me less of Might and Magic but more of Anvil of Dawn or Stonekeep, which is still awesome and very similar in looks to most classic computer RPGs from that era. I'll definitely grab the demo at least.

It doesn't have real time combat though, and you have a party of characters.

It's really more like a highly-refined anime Wizardry.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That CD sleeve art is so Himukai it hurts :allears:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arianna has an excited stars in eyes expression too, but her eyes are normal otherwise.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I found this clip of the EMD version of EOIII stratum 5's theme. It's taken right out of a preview stream from a couple of months ago and I want the full thing SO BAD

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25426957

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crosspeice posted:

Great, I have some Treasure Boxes in EO4 still left to find, but as far as I can see, I've opened them all. I must've opened one, died, then thought I had opened it so I can't tell if it's been opened or not.

I'm glad the EO2U and beyond are going to have treasure box icons that indicate the state of the chest just for this very reason.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't played Persona Q or EO2U yet but I've heard that you plunk down a single icon and it alters itself to show the state of the chest.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 30, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

manny kaltz posted:

Would someone be able to tell me the name of the track that plays when you fight Kujura (either chiptune or DS version would be great)? I stumbled on a video of the fight and it's been stuck in my head for a couple of days.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it: Hoist the Sword with Pride in the Heart.

You might enjoy the EMD version of it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXf68PQTaDo

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cephas posted:

I just finished mapping out the first floor of Millenium Girl. This is my first Etrian Odyssey game. Any valuable tips for someone new to this series? Or should I go in blind?

Bullet point tips that apply to every Etrian game:

Always carry an Ariadne Thread and use it as soon as you think you're in danger or overtaxed.

Skills are the best way to win fights and TP will limit the length of your trip almost every time. Ideally you can reach a new shortcut before you run out of TP and pop your Thread, but even if you can't the experience, money, unlocked items, and map will help you go deeper next trip.

Unlike most other RPGs, status effects and binds work on almost everything and are incredibly valuable.

Normal attacks are generally not a good option unless you're overlevelled for the area or revisiting a previous one and can brute force through fights.

The game doesn't compel you to draw maps after the first floor but having a good map is valuable for finding your way around and to find ways to avoid FOEs.

Don't fight FOEs the first time you see them unless you're very overlevelled, playing on Picnic, or know the one weird trick for beating them that Dungeon Masters hate.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So what's the consensus on EMD so far? Worth the money?

Well I like both MD and EO games so I think it's great, but your mileage may vary if you only like one or the other. The dungeon gameplay is right out of Mystery Dungeon but most of the character and loot mechanics are right out of Etrian Odyssey.

I thought having a full party of 4 characters would be clunky but it pulls off a party-based Roguelike pretty well. The individual zones aren't that interesting but the randomized branching dungeon layout with potentially multiple up/down stairs per floor is great.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm really liking it so far. There's a lot of neat tactics you can pull off.

Is there a way to do it without having to take the MicroSD card out of a New 3DS? The new placement makes it a pain to show off QR codes.

Websites that let you attach an image file to a form submission (i.e. every site that lets you upload pictures like Imgur) will let you select saved images on the 3DS if you access them with its browser.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Except EMD outputs its QR codes to a folder specific to the game in the 3DS's /private folder instead of the /DCIM folder. Which means there's no way to upload them without taking the SD card out, as far as I can tell, because the 3DS only lets you upload stuff from the DCIM folder.

Oh wow, that's unfortunate. I didn't know that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Except EMD outputs its QR codes to a folder specific to the game in the 3DS's /private folder instead of the /DCIM folder. Which means there's no way to upload them without taking the SD card out, as far as I can tell, because the 3DS only lets you upload stuff from the DCIM folder.

It sucks because EO4 and EOU both do the same thing. I really don't know what reason there could be for storing poo poo in the game's /private folder instead of the /DCIM folder.
VVVVVV

Would have been nice if they made the New 3DS charge via a USB micro B connector that also lets it map the SD card as mass storage when plugged into a computer... like almost every other mobile device. Nintendo just loves their proprietary connectors though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Callick posted:

The Mystery Dungeon games are all about mechanics, resource management, and preparation. Presentation has never been their strongest suit and yet they're one of my favorite game series of all time. :shobon:

I guess playing ASCII tile roguelikes for so long really de-emphasized how much my brain critiques graphics and stuff when I'm playing this genre, because I actually quite like the presentation of this game. I haven't played the EO series so I'm unsure which tracks are new or remixed or reused from the old games but the OST is excellent

Almost everything in the OST is right out of the Etrian games and they picked a lot of my favourite songs (like Waterfall Woods and Hoist the Sword with Pride in the Heart for Dungeon 3 and boss battles respectively, and I know from elsewhere that Faith is my Pillar, The End of Raging Winds, and Porcelain Forest made it in which are also favourites of mine) plus a lot of my favourite classes and portraits made the cut so this game is fanservicey as gently caress for me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Junpei Hyde posted:

Landies were good in EO4 at least.

E: also if the way to bump up the difficulty is there I'm not seeing it. On the main menu it's greyed out.

Well the 1/2 Lands and the 4/EMD Lands are essentially different classes aside from getting shields and heavy armour.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

theshim posted:

I ran it with a TP battery for the whole fourth and fifth strata and it did fine.

Yeah with a N/Z you can wreck random fights all day long.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hivac posted:

Hoplite is probably the most useful tank in the series, I think. EOU Protector comes kinda close but an Otori'd Hoplite is basically an unbreakable wall except in a few cases.

I really like Bravery's Gift so I think EOU Protectors edge out Hoplites for me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked being able to use Ronin and Hexer right from the start in Untold. I also like what they did with Protectors and Medics. They're no longer broken but Bravery's Gift and Delayed Heal are so good :allears:

I made fun of Simon for starting in the front row with a Landsknecht grimoire stone and a sword, but even with the rebalancing front line Medics are still fun especially with Bravery's Gift protecting them. Caduceus goes off before my Ronin's Swallow Strike and hits for a big fraction of the former's damage, too. I also made my Alchemist front line with Pain Formula and Firelight and it hits a bit harder, too, but without the speed and stun. Not the best team, but it's fun to me.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 17, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Man the games have so many good character portrait choices that I have a hard time picking my favourites or even fitting them all in one party. I have an easier time picking my favourite male portraits though; my favourite dudes from each of the game are HUGE Protector, red-haired Gladiator (runner up: younger Shogun), and blond Landsknecht. I like too many of the girls in 1/2 to make a choice, blonde Princess and kimono Ninja are the standouts from 3, and from 4 I always like to use the Sniper based on chestwraps Ronin (runner ups: glasses Medic and bandanna Landsknecht, but I always use the blond dude anyway).

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 22, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Clearly, then single class challenges should be done with a party of 4 so that there are no duplicates.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gannyGrabber posted:

Oh man, they actually bothered to create all the new tracks as chip tunes. Nice attention to detail!

What team should I go through classic with..?

Whatever it is, never not Ronin and Hexer

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gannyGrabber posted:

I thought beating story mode unlocked highlander/gunner? Is that not true?

You can Newgame+ and bring Highlander and Ricky with you but you can never create new generic level 1 Highlander/Gunner.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dr. Fetus posted:

Honestly, you can have the Troubadour be a Medic with Echoing Rondo. But yes, a Survivalist can make for a great Medic because of Efficiency (Which doubles the effectiveness of healing items at level 10.) Just don't expect much from them in the damage department.

Actually, you may want to rethink that party. You have 4 supports and one damage dealer. (The Dark Hunter.) Unless you intend to turtle through fights, I'd replace the Survivalist.

Hexer is a great damage dealer if you can land Evil Eye. Which means it will rip through random encounters and occasionally give you nutso-fast victories over bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dr. Fetus posted:

Arianna trailer. Something to note is that Ad Nihilo now dispels debuffs as well as buffs. Depending on how you look at it, that could be a nerf or a buff. A nerf because now you'll have to be more careful with your debuffs if you want to capitalize on them. A buff because now you can cast the skill more often, and this is the Sovereign's only damage skill. The damage component also got buffed and deals a huge amount of damage at max level. We're talking Fafnir levels here.

That makes me happy because Princess is one of my favourite classes in the series and Ad Nihilo is one of their best skills.

• Locked thread